• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Recently a thread was made regarding a Nikkei article that made claims about Nintendo Switch Online in 2019. As there was some confusion, due to the article being behind a paywall + concern it was being mistranslated, the thread has been closed and this new thread has been created.

Nikkei published an article today that covered Nintendo's financial briefing and stated that Nintendo Switch Online will be strengthened in 2019 by adding new services aimed at enthusiasts / core gamers / high spenders / bigger spending game aficionados. The author does not elaborate further but states it as something that will happen.

Please see the tweet below-

https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO40750940R30C19A1TJ1000/

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
God, I hope so.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see what they do, It's hard to have much faith in them with how the online service is.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
Recently a thread was made regarding a Nikkei article that made claims about Nintendo Switch Online in 2019. As there was some confusion, due to the article being behind a paywall + concern it was being mistranslated, the thread has been closed and this new thread has been created.

Nikkei published an article today that covered Nintendo's financial briefing and stated that Nintendo Switch Online will be strengthened in 2019 by adding new services aimed at enthusiasts / core gamers. The author does not elaborate further but states it as something that will happen.

Please see the tweet below-

https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO40750940R30C19A1TJ1000/

Here is the Japanese text:

さらには18年9月に始めた月額課金によるスイッチ向けのオンラインサービスの強化。19年中にゲーム愛好家の高額課金者向けに新サービスを始めるもようだ。
Yes, this is vague, but "高額課金者" is the strong word describing the people who spends many money on gacha in japan, and should not be translated as the soft "core gamers".

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Aimed at core gamers"
Voice Chat and messaging service. Please.
And while we at it: Fucking servers for Splatoon

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the low paid subscription numbers are showing them the way. Good times ahead for Switch owners.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We're probably gonna hear a bit about NSO later today (in like 8-10 hours or something?) during the results briefing. Probably a bit about its performance so far and some of the things they have planned for the future.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Anything is better than the shittyness it is now. Maybe this means the basic features such as messaging, universal parties, etc? I mean its honestly not a "core gamer" featureset as much as it is common practice but maybe it is to Nintendo.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is better netcode. Smash online is absolutely horrible.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yes, this is vague, but "高額課金者" is the strong word describing the people who spends many money on gacha in japan, and should not be translated as the soft "core gamers".

Can you help provide a better word or phrase that would fit in this case?

Thanks.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Achievements, bam.
Release those SNES games AND BEYOND, bam.
An actual chat system, bam.
Why should we be paying for these things, bam.

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
A few things I suspect we'll see:

- More classic games and special controller offers for subscribers
- Better communication features, specifically around voice chat
- Better discount rewards for paid subscribers, akin to the double Gold Points promos they run for preordering various games on the eShop
- Paid themes/profile pics

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Good, I was so surprised that they did not realise this sooner. Like I said in some earlier threads, it's not about the money, it's the principle.

You can't just go ahead and think "We'll deliver the same service we had when it was free, just because other companies have paid descriptions."

That is not how it works.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
As I said in the other thread, without any specifics it likely isn't what people think it could be.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Hopefully more than just SNES games. Also I wonder what they'll call the new Switch to distinguish it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Furukawa has already said that they're gonna improve NSO in a previous interview. Curious what these "new services" will be as the current price really isn't justified.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
We need investors Q/A already.
I'm glad I haven't subbed yet until it become appealing enough.

Oct 28, 2017
Can't say I really care for this "news" when its all just incredibly open rumours right now. How long have we been hearing about a slim Switch for? Any company worth its salt will have been developing a smaller version of their tech at some point, but no leaks, no prototypes? Ehhh, its getting boring.

Oct 26, 2017
So it's still the same service and (hopefully) the same current fee, just more content and maybe fixes? Hopefully. The idea of a higher-tier payment sounded absurd IMO.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
enthusiasts (gotta be either Achievements and/or something chat related)
core gamers (SNES)
high spenders (Better Online Play and/or Deeper discounts like on PS+)

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
in other words, buy some stock NOW
giphy.gif

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't care about bonuses just give us better online modes for god's sake

Apr 24, 2018
Tiered online pricing feel like it's going to be a mistake, imo, at least this early on in the online service's life (if this is what actually happens).

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
A portable only Switch Lite definitely has broader appeal than a Switch Pro so it makes for that to be the direction for Nintendo to take. Especially if it's cheaper.

Here's hoping we get discounts on first party Nintendo games.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Good because right now it couldn't be less appealing to me. That said... Animal Crossing Switch is just around the corner and I'm going to need some fruits.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Oh boy, I can't wait to pay for the privilege of playing old SNES games again on my brand new console. :DDD

The privilege to play an expanding library of SNES games for a low price instead of individually buying a game.
I guess if you've played every SNES game that you could ever want to play it's not appealing but as someone who never owned an SNES it's well worth the price.