• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Whats the point?

The lite added superior ergonomics, more solid build and increased portability. A tv only model would take away a lot, and add nothing.

It could be cheap. Shield TV is 159,99 for example.

If they can dump a Switch TV with a Pro Controller in the box for 159,99 there will be a market for it. Same performance of the normal Switch in docked mode, no extra features.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Whats the point?

The lite added superior ergonomics and increased portability. A tv only model would take away a lot, and add nothing.
It adds the option of playing at home for those that don't want a portable aspect.

Lite is for portable, flagship offers both at home and portable, and a TV-only is purely docked. There's a market for that. It's a cheap solution that has high profit margins for the company. It doesn't need to sell tens of millions of units.

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think of it, could it also be just an accessory that allows the Lite to be streamed to the TV? Like its not a new model per say, but it basically just receives the signal from the Lite/OG Switch, and displays it on the TV? Could be a portable travel dock/hdmi adapter.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
79C8685F341324720820182220800_55df1705918.9.0.1711728494610174824.mp4.jpg
It's time

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I put this in the Direct thread, but I will add it here too:
I am very skeptical about the second screen as anything but a developer tool or test out of context, but let's run wild for a sec:

What if the second display is a screen that you slide the Joy Con onto to get the full controller? It would look like the normal Switch/the Wii U controller when assembled, but would presumably be cheaper, because most of the internals would actually be in the Joy-Con.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
So would a TV-Only Switch feature detachable joycons or ship with a pro controller? Since it wouldn't be a hybrid, I see no reason for detachable joycons. But them I remember games like Ring Fit Adventure. But then I remember the Switch Lite.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
It adds the option of playing at home for those that don't want a portable aspect.

Lite is for portable, flagship offers both at home and portable, and a TV-only is purely docked. There's a market for that. It's a cheap solution that has high profit margins for the company. It doesn't need to sell tens of millions of units.

Disagree with you there, I don't think there is a big market for that. If the flagship or the lite hasn't sold you on the switch, I doubt a tv only would.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So would a TV-Only Switch feature detachable joycons or ship with a pro controller? Since it wouldn't be a hybrid, I see no reason for detachable joycons. But them I remember games like Ring Fit Adventure. But then I remember the Switch Lite.
It would be a box that connects to the tv and comes with a Pro controller is what makes the most sense

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

I think the Pro Controller [79.99] may be cheaper for Nintendo to include over the Joycon + rechargable grip combo [69.99 + 2x 4.99 + 29.99], and it also pushes more people into buying a second controller.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Time is right for a TV-only model.
While there might a market for such a system - i dont think current data really support this considering how well Switch is selling.

More importantly this will invite direct comparisons with MS/Sonys offerings and i dont know if Nintendo wants or need to go that route.

Well anyway...it doesnt really matter at the end since all devices are part of the Switch family - more options isnt a bad things when the eco system is already established. Having a more powerful TV only Switch wouldnt hurt.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Will this look like those new cel phones eith bending screens? If so, can they make the screen to slide in the middle to make it like a 3ds screen?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Secondary display?

Maybe they should learn to handle their first display first without having 80% of their games going into Vaseline mode, then we can talk about a second.

Just give us a stronger version of the Switch without bullshit and everyone would be happy, please?

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
While there might a market for such a system - i dont think current data really support this considering how well Switch is selling.

More importantly this will invite direct comparisons with MS/Sonys offerings and i dont know if Nintendo wants or need to go that route.

Well anyway...it doesnt really matter at the end since all devices are part of the Switch family - more options isnt a bad things when the eco system is already established. Having a more powerful TV only Switch wouldnt hurt.
If this device is priced at let's say $199 in 2021, then there is no need to compare it with Sony and Microsoft machines.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I want a pro personally. Particularly given a bunch of service games have found a good place on the Switch, they need better Swithc hardware to be able to keep continuing support of those games.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If this device is priced at let's say $199 in 2021, then there is no need to compare it with Sony and Microsoft machines.
There is - unless you think they stop selling Xbox OneS/X and PS4 the second the new units are released.

But i get your overall point. If its cheap and game can perform better on TV mode its gonna be a hit. Pretty much what the Gamecube could have been if it was more successful xD

If this can run games like BotW 2 in 1080p - its gonna sell to alot of people that dont wanna spend extra for the portability factor.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of things:

I) now way it's a dual screen switch, not going to happen
2) OG Switch has outperformed the Lite which means that people like and want the dockable nature of the OG, because of that I don't see how a TV only switch makes sense
3) It's probably the Pro we have been hearing about for a while

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A couple of things:

I) now way it's a dual screen switch, not going to happen
2) OG Switch has outperformed the Lite which means that people like and want the dockable nature of the OG, because of that I don't see how a TV only switch makes sense
3) It's probably the Pro we have been hearing about for a while
It's just a Switch TV. Just a box that connects to the tv, but has the function to connect to a regular switch screen probably

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
But i get your overall point. If its cheap and game can perform better on TV mode its gonna be a hit. Pretty much what the Gamecube could have been if it was more successful xD

If this can run games like BotW 2 in 1080p - its gonna sell to alot of people that dont wanna spend extra for the portability factor.
True, it could have a lot better clock speeds in similiar way as a Shield TV since it don't need to run on a battery etc, but i still don't think this will be bigger jump, maybe a hybrid Pro version in the future.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
If it has support for a secondary screen it could be a clamshell Switch with two screens. Would be wild if they did that. THO, and hear me out on this, what if it is for,...

A foldable Switch in 2021?

Folds literally into two different screens for table top split screen. Just a wild idea. Seems weird they'd add a screen this late in the game. They could easily add DS/3DS BC via a USBC attachment, similar to the vertical grips for shmups, and cram in 2DS guts into it, sell it for $60 at a big profit since it wouldn't require buttons or screen.

But I'm all for a smaller Switch if this makes it possible. Clamshell too. I think whatever it is will replace $300 model, ideally at $250 tho. And drop Lite to $170/$180.
Yeah must be for DS/3DS/WiiU support. I wonder if they could sort of reverse the WiiU screen cast tech. Cast the 2nd screen video from the tablet to the dock. So it wouldn't be a clam shell. Your TV would be the second screen. Personally I prefer a bigger screen over 2 screens but for BC purposes there is no way around 2 screens.

The bigger news though is Zelda. BotW2 is practically guaranteed to ship with Switch Pro with added benefits. Fall 2020 will be nuts if this is coming...

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW the same guy talked about similar profiles found in the 9.00 update last year:

www.resetera.com

New regular Switch model with upgraded battery life announced! Same price, launches end of August (Old model: 2.5-6.5 hours, New model: 4.5-9.0 hours)

So there were two separate form factors, one for retail (nx-abca2) and one for devkits (nx-abcb) for the OG Switch, even though it had three codenames (two for devkits). The new one has 3 form factors (nx-abca2, nx-abcb, nx-abcc) with 3 codenames again (one of which is the same EDEV unit the OG...
We've learned much more about the codenames since then, btw; much of that tweet has actually been found to be inaccurate (more in a sec). The fact that it's nx-abcd actually seems to indicate a new form factor (not hybrid or handheld). You would think TV-only, but that's already taken by nx-abcb, so I'm not sure what this is. The update is still being datamined, however.

Anyway, what we've learned since that tweet: there have been 5 hardware models supported by the OS; these are Icosa, Copper, Hoag, Iowa, and Calcio. Icosa, Hoag, and Iowa have been released; they're the launch model, the lite, and the updated model with improved battery life, respectively.

Copper was removed after the RCM hardware bug was found, but based on its implemented services it seemed to be a non-mobile device (it didn't implement battery or charging services, and had HDMI services unique to it that are theoretically handled by the dock in the hybrid Switch).

Calcio is interesting. It only popped up in one of the 9.X updates, seemingly indicating it's in active development. It appears to essentially be Copper but on the new Mariko chip found in Hoag and Iowa and, curiously, lacks support for game cards, suggesting a digital-only device. If my speculation that a TV-only device would be positioned as a sort of super-economical option (even cheaper than the lite) is accurate, that would make some sense.

These 5 models fall into three form factors: nx-abca2, nx-abcb, and nx-abcc. Icosa and Iowa are nx-abca2, Copper and Calcio are nx-abcb, and Hoag is nx-abcc. You may also notice some consistency in the naming; abca2 devices start with 'I' (integrated?), nx-abcbs start with 'C' (console), and nx-abcc is 'H' (handheld). The previous thought that some of these terms referred to dev kits is inaccurate; the dev kits use the same hardware configs and form factors as the retail units.

Source here:

All of the above was known before 10.0.0, including Calcio, and is not what this tweet is about. It's very interesting that 10.0.0 adds nx-abcd, as that theoretically wouldn't be a hybrid, home console, or handheld; all three are already taken. I'm not entirely sure yet whether the update also adds a hardware configuration implementing the form factor; if so, we can look at what OS services/drivers it supports to try to make an educated guess on what kind of device it is. A secondary screen is interesting; could it be VR?

Last edited:

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
You are all acting like when it's the OS it will be real, there has been examples in the past when it was just there. Don't expecting any dual screen support personally.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
A dock only device is the most sensible option for Nintendo and the Switch family of product.

The classic Switch will be the feature complete version and the most expensive version at 299.99.
The Switch Lite will offer a (better) portable Switch experience at 199.99. It lacks any kind of docked experience but it's sensibly cheaper and the portable experience is better.
The Switch TV will offer a basic docked experience and the cheapest entry point in the Switch ecosystem at something around 139.99-159.00. It's objectively the most limited Switch experience as a fairly low powered home console, but it's in the "impulse buy" territory at that price.

TV and Lite can also work together to have a roughly similar experience to the classic Switch using cloud saves and save transfers included in the NSO subscription.

Why this makes financial sense:

- OG Switch and Lite will avoid a price drop.
- TV will be Nintendo's way of getting the Switch entry point price in the current 3DS range of just over 99.99.
- It's another SKU that could interest current Switch/Lite owners and an effective way to increase Switch consoles per family (a very clear objective of Nintendo).

I've been speculating this since late 2018. It just makes sense.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Another take: "secondary display of sorts," he says.

Maybe we could see a function like a reverse Chromecast, to send the display to a phone or tablet with the Nintendo Online app over a local network.

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
I can't imagine a docked only Switch. Nintendo isn't going to remove the one feature over anything that has been a hit (minus the library of games they are making for the Switch)

Now a Pro model with 4K native rendering, with an OLED 1080p panel and a GPU/CPU capable of 1080p60 mobile and 4k60 docked...I'd buy that for a dollar!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch (hybrid)
Switch Lite (portable only)
Switch TV (tv only)
Switch (hybrid) Pro

thus is Nintendo's plan

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Dock only switch still makes no sense. The Lite makes a whole lot more sense than this mythical TV-only Switch. I'd be really disappointed if they made this since resources could be better spent on other things than a 3 headed behemoth.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah must be for DS/3DS/WiiU support. I wonder if they could sort of reverse the WiiU screen cast tech. Cast the 2nd screen video from the tablet to the dock. So it wouldn't be a clam shell. Your TV would be the second screen. Personally I prefer a bigger screen over 2 screens but for BC purposes there is no way around 2 screens.

The bigger news though is Zelda. BotW2 is practically guaranteed to ship with Switch Pro with added benefits. Fall 2020 will be nuts if this is coming...
Nintendo already said they don't have a new model this year, and it would be weird timing considering it would be the same chip as Lite/New Switch. I'd lean towards this being some sort of left field accessory, maybe a travel dock for all models like you said that lets all models play on TV via streaming, but also maybe adds some dual screen support.

I kinda doubt Zelda is this year. With the rumors of their focus being Mario's 35th anniversary this fall, and all the mario remasters plus a Paper Mario strongly rumored, I'd guess there is no need to ship Zelda until March 2021 at the earliest, if not later.

There is a worldwide recession to consider too, so they can always use more time on Zelda because of that.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
We've learned much more about the codenames since then, btw; much of that tweet has actually been found to be inaccurate (more in a sec). The fact that it's nx-abcd actually seems to indicate a new form factor (not hybrid or handheld). You would think TV-only, but that's already taken by nx-abcb, so I'm not sure what this is. The update is still being datamined, however.

Anyway, what we've learned since that tweet: there have been 5 hardware models supported by the OS; these are Icosa, Copper, Hoag, Iowa, and Calcio. Icosa, Hoag, and Iowa have been released; they're the launch model, the lite, and the updated model with improved battery life, respectively.

Copper was removed after the RCM hardware bug was found, but based on its implemented services it seemed to be a non-mobile device (it didn't implement battery or charging services, and had HDMI services unique to it that are theoretically handled by the dock in the hybrid Switch).

Calcio is interesting. It only popped up in one of the 9.X updates, seemingly indicating it's in active development. It appears to essentially be Copper but on the new Mariko chip found in Hoag and Iowa and, curiously, lacks support for game cards, suggesting a digital-only device. If my speculation that a TV-only device would be positioned as a sort of super-economical option (even cheaper than the lite) is accurate, that would make some sense.

These 5 models fall into three form factors: nx-abca2, nx-abcb, and nx-abcc. Icosa and Iowa are nx-abca2, Copper and Calcio are nx-abcb, and Hoag is nx-abcc. You may also notice some consistency in the naming; abca2 devices start with I (integrated?), Copper and Calcio are C (console), and Hoag is H (handheld). The previous thought that some of these terms referred to dev kits is inaccurate; the dev kits use the same hardware configs and form factors as the retail units.

It's very interesting that 10.0.0 adds nx-abcd, as that theoretically wouldn't be a hybrid, home console, or handheld; all three are already taken. I'm not entirely sure yet whether the update also adds a hardware configuration implementing the form factor; if so, we can look at what OS services/drivers it supports to try to make an educated guess on what kind of device it is. A secondary screen is interesting; could it be VR?
this is a cool and informative post, thanks for sharing

I'd really like to see an uber-cheap TV model