• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
It's a valid opinion still though. HW assisted RT is promising technology but as it often is, the first iteration costs quite much and many games are using RT as an ad-hoc effect instead of something more meaningful.

what constitutes as "meaningful"? I think reflections alone are pretty meaningful, considering how they're usually just horribly fake or broken.

Riflen

Nov 13, 2017
It's a valid opinion to say "It's not worth it for me at this moment because of performance costs", but that's not what the poster wrote. People often just post from their own perspective without properly articulating. His post could be taken to mean "ray tracing is overrated and just a few extra reflections and shadows", which is an ignorant position.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It's a valid opinion still though. HW assisted RT is promising technology but as it often is, the first iteration costs quite much and many games are using RT as an ad-hoc effect instead of something more meaningful.
I can't wait to see how all of this will make a 180 turn in a year when consoles and all PC GPU vendors will support RT. It will suddenly become "meaningful" and "required" even though it will still cost a lot and come with a severe performance penalty (because every new graphics feature worth a damn does).

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It's a valid opinion to say "It's not worth it for me at this moment because of performance costs", but that's not what the poster wrote. People often just post from their own perspective without properly articulating. His post could be taken to mean "ray tracing is overrated and just a few extra reflections and shadows", which is an ignorant position.
I just assumed that was what the original poster meant instead of more general prediction. I totally understand why some people, at this moment, feel like RT is a bit over-hyped. If all user is seeing is "a bit different shadows" and the feature ends up taking considerable amount of power it doesn't really help to repeat how great the feature is technically and physics-wise.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
doesn't he always do the opening since it's a Nvidia show?
Yeah, not a sign of anything. But with Big Red 200 confirming that next gen HPC part will be available this summer there's essentially zero doubt that it will be introduced at GTC'20.
The question is though when they will introduce the gaming parts - and this will likely be either Computex (June) or Siggraph (August) so I wouldn't put my hopes just yet into anything related to next gen gaming GPUs at GDC/GTC.
Still, the details of HPC Ampere will tell us a lot about the features of future gaming GPUs on the same architecture.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yeah, not a sign of anything. But with Big Red 200 confirming that next gen HPC part will be available this summer there's essentially zero doubt that it will be introduced at GTC'20.
The question is though when they will introduce the gaming parts - and this will likely be either Computex (June) or Siggraph (August) so I wouldn't put my hopes just yet into anything related to next gen gaming GPUs at GDC/GTC.
Still, the details of HPC Ampere will tell us a lot about the features of future gaming GPUs on the same architecture.
I always bet my money on Computex.

That's were Pascal got it's blowout.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
www.igorslab.de

Why the increase in performance of Nvidia’s Ampere could be quite enormous - the board partners already has to enter the practice phase | igor’sLAB investigative | igor´sLAB

Of course, it would be pointless to take out the usual large speculum and nibble at it with relish, but in contrast to pure speculation and rumours, there are also unmistakable and tangible signs that…

AIBs are getting ready for Ampere launch, running tests on current top end 2080Ti boards.
The wait for this is driving me insane. I REALLY need to upgrade (Haven't built a PC since 2012), so I desperately need an upgrade, but I am not buying a 2080 just to have this come out shortly after.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The wait for this is driving me insane. I REALLY need to upgrade (Haven't built a PC since 2012), so I desperately need an upgrade, but I am not buying a 2080 just to have this come out shortly after.
Nvidia's show is next month, so we'll definitely see something there. we might hear some leaks from board partners soon too

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Possibly a 30xx GPU? Or perhaps the game delay means it was meant to be a current gen card.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tin hat time: Nvidia was going to wait for 30xx until after 2077 was out because they knew people would be upgrading for it. Now that the game's delayed, they have to get rid of 20xx stock by doing a tie-in with Cyberpunk to get rid of stock.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they need to "get rid of stock" when it's selling just fine as it is?

I doubt that there's much behind this teaser.

Nov 8, 2017
www.igorslab.de

Why the increase in performance of Nvidia’s Ampere could be quite enormous - the board partners already has to enter the practice phase | igor’sLAB investigative | igor´sLAB

Of course, it would be pointless to take out the usual large speculum and nibble at it with relish, but in contrast to pure speculation and rumours, there are also unmistakable and tangible signs that…

AIBs are getting ready for Ampere launch, running tests on current top end 2080Ti boards.

~Midyear or slightly later still seems plausible, I assume? At least for consumer. I'm guessing July/Sep.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
~Midyear or slightly later still seems plausible, I assume? At least for consumer. I'm guessing July/Sep.
My expectation is still May unveil event and June launch (with wide Computex showing from AIBs if it won't follow MWC's footsteps this year of course).
But this is a bit optimistic I'll admit because we don't really have much which would point to this happening - and it usually means that the chips aren't out yet.