• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going into my fourth year with the 1070. I'd really like to be able to think about a 3070 this year.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I think timing of next gen is a factor for price too.
RTX came out with a few years of headroom, but now the ~$500 consoles will have it.
I'm hoping but they might just price their lower cards more competitively and leave the high-end pretty much where they are. Which would be a bit short-sighted as having a much more powerful GPU than the consoles at a somewhat reasonable cost could be incentive for people to upgrade or take up PC gaming instead of investing in a next-gen console for less than half the price. Especially with all the talks about porting to PC.

Maybe that will just happen in the years that follow as the cards get better.

Are we expecting there to be limited supply? There usually is, isn't there :/

Last edited:

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
Next-gen consoles will probably follow PS4's design, merging RAM and GDDR memory in one combined memory pool, thus achieving massive transfer speed between CPU and GPU - far greater than current PC architecture.

Maybe a massive increase of GDDR6 memory is NVidia's answer, enabling developers to avoid using the RAM to feed data to GPUs...

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
What i hope for in terms of price is the following

3060 - 299€
3070 - 499€
3080 - 799€
3080 TI - 1099€

Also 16GB for 3070 and respectively 20GB for the 3080 won't happen. It will be something around 8-10GB for the 3070 and 10-12GB for the 3080.

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping but they might just price their lower cards more competitively and leave the high-end pretty much where they are. Which would be a bit short-sighted as having a much more powerful GPU than the consoles at a somewhat reasonable cost could be incentive for people to upgrade or take up PC gaming instead of investing in a next-gen console for less than half the price. Especially with all the talks about porting to PC.

Maybe that will just happen in the years that follow as the cards get better.

Are we expecting there to be limited supply? There usually is, isn't there :/

badnews.jpg

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I hope they add a fucking shitload of RTX cores. The raytracing performance on the 20xx series is unnacceptable for what we get out of it. If they slowly drip feed in RTX cores it'll be such a shit thing to do but I can see them doing it.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
What i hope for in terms of price is the following

3060 - 399€
3070 - 499€
3080 - 699€
3080 TI - 999

Also 16GB for 3070 and respectively 20GB for the 3080 won't happen. It will be something around 8-10GB for the 3070 and 10-12GB for the 3080.

Just put the values I expect

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
It maybe a weird question but what can we expect from 2021 Nvidia cards?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Pointless. 12-14GB is more reasonable.
And with the increase in memory prices this year it's going to make the card unnecessarily expensive.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
Please explain how 20gig is absurd to a complete idiot like me since I remember RE2 needing like 12 (for textures? I cant really recall). Seems like 20 would be needed with the upcoming consoles arriving?

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Has anything approached wanting that much vram?

GPU rendering & large scale real-time/interactive art installations. you can NVlink a pair of quadros and hit 96gb, and without careful optimization still hit the limits. they're not for games.
thats a big market for nvidia, their consumer cards are a trickle down of the tech they develop for the ultra-high end cards. Interestingly AMD doesnt have any foothold in that market so it's had to work up to it instead of down from it, which is why they've seemed to have a harder time hitting the same price/performance until recently.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Please explain how 20gig is absurd to a complete idiot like me since I remember RE2 needing like 12 (for textures? I cant really recall). Seems like 20 would be needed with the upcoming consoles arriving?
I think RE2 is completely broken, because I use an alleged 12gb on my 1070 and there's nothing affecting my performance at all.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
RE2 doesn't actually need 12GB.
Even if it says so there it's never actually using any more than 6GB of VRAM at 1080P (add in about another gigabyte or so for 4K).

Additionally, all it does is cache the textures so that it doesn't have to stream from storage. The actual texture quality between lowest i.e. 0.5GB version of "High" and highest i..e. 8GB ver of "High" is exactly the same. Games these days probably have like 20-30GB of total asset data, doesn't mean you require that much VRAM because you never use all those assets at once and you are bound to swap out models and textures at distance for lower quality ones because it's a waste and it also introduces additional high frequency noise when there's too much detail in a small number of pixels (which is what happens when those assets are at a distance).

By the time we actually need more than 16GB of VRAM in PC games we'd have far faster cards. So in effect this card having 20GB of RAM now is only going to inflate the price of the card unnecessarily for something that is not going to be used until the card is outdated (in PC space). Especially considering RAM prices are going to be higher this year.

Last edited:

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm thinking about these and while tempting, I think I can squeeze two or three more years out of my 980ti, which by then I can hopefully upgrade to a 4080ti.

Hoping the 3xxx pricing isn't too crazy, a 2080ti is a tad expensive in Canada.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what the 3060 will be like, I don't have much money or expect massive power so I wonder what that will cost and have.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
AMD 4700x or so
GTX 3070 or 3080
16gb RAM

My next gen PC is gonna be fantastic, just gotta keep holding out

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Most games don't use as much VRAM as their often flawed counters might report. The games that can use all the VRAM you have will usually use a significant portion of it as a cache for minor performance improvements. Meanwhile older GPUs with far less VRAM are not going away all of a sudden and the required spec for games does not shift to 30xx series overnight. Even something as massively detailed as Red Dead Redemption 2 has a minimum requirement of GTX 770 2 GB VRAM and a recommendation of GTX 1060 / RX 480 with 4-6 GB.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they add a fucking shitload of RTX cores. The raytracing performance on the 20xx series is unnacceptable for what we get out of it. If they slowly drip feed in RTX cores it'll be such a shit thing to do but I can see them doing it.

Unacceptable? What were your expectations? It's the first time ray tracing has been available to the mass market. I was able to play Control with all RT settings at max, and with DLSS enabled, got great performance. Metro Exodus with its GI, you still get 30fps+. Wolfenstein Youngblood, the latest to get a RTX patch, from DFs video, has pretty good RT performance.

I'd say given the scope of ray tracing, and for a first attempt, it's gone pretty damn well.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure the prices this next integration will be equally staggering. Going to wait for 3rd party cards to stabilize before I go in on one of these probably early next year.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The 20 GB model is definitely going to be a quadro card. 10GB is much more likely as 20GB is too excessive even at ridiculous resolutions. I could see the 2080 ti version having 16GB at most.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's definitely how games used the technology. BF5 was a terrible example of using ray tracing. But several games have come out since then that showed good performance. Also DLSS has been showing very impressive results with recent titles.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
Most games don't use as much VRAM as their often flawed counters might report. The games that can use all the VRAM you have will usually use a significant portion of it as a cache for minor performance improvements. Meanwhile older GPUs with far less VRAM are not going away all of a sudden and the required spec for games does not shift to 30xx series overnight. Even something as massively detailed as Red Dead Redemption 2 has a minimum requirement of GTX 770 2 GB VRAM and a recommendation of GTX 1060 / RX 480 with 4-6 GB.
I wonder if anybody actually played RDR2 on 2gb of VRAM, it seems a dreadful experience lol

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
16GB and 20GB seem like amounts for the Qudaro cards, as the article points out.

Maybe I'm not following things closely enough but RAM needs for gaming don't seem to climbing at a fast enough rate for 20GB to be of much use, particularly for the period of time a lot of people with 3080s would have them before upgrading?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the 3080Ti have 19 GB of RAM while the Titan XX or whatever has the full 20 GB.