• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 20, 2019
50% performance hit for strongly limited raytracing where we might have to really study the before/after to see the benefits, where it sometimes does absolutely nothing, or even makes the IQ worse, while halving the framerate is not my idea of great performance.

They're marketing the tech before we're really ready for it. Just after they did a push for high framerate monitors - how am I supposed to put up with 30fps(!) now? I want double the raytracing performance with each new series.

And DLSS is separate to raytracing performance.

I wouldn't say it's good performance but I agree we need to see more. But it is worrying, I've seen a few games now at the 50% for not all that much benefit considering the performance hit. We have no idea what Dyling Light 2's raytracing will take to pull off what they showed in the on/off still. They've delayed the game now too.

We need massive gains in raytracing. They introduced it now (too soon), so it's on them to back it up with the hardware to run it reasonably, relative to what we're getting from it. I know some are loving it and are excited for it (I am too) but halving the framerate is too much.

If it looked like a Pixar movie they can take all my frames, but it doesn't come close. Improve performance.

I'm glad lighting is getting more attention. I'm not happy with how limited performance is even on a 2080Ti. The 30XX series needs to do significantly better.
It's not like they're going to quickly improve the efficiency of the calculations for it, just how and where they use it. They need to improve the hardware significantly, performance as is, is unacceptable. People will hit the off switch to get back that performance, and there goes next-gen till 2024.
Lol at the last line but i kinda agree. The cards we have now i think will hold up ok for next gen at least until 2023 and then start showing age.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
?

You guys think it's just unlucky that they massively underdelivered RTX performance on the 20XX series with no way to improve it considerably in future cards?

4352 CUDA cores, 544 tensor cores and a measily 68 RT cores on the 2080Ti, with only 46 RT on the 2080. What, are they 10x the size or that much more expensive to make?

If the 3080 doesn't have at the very minimum over 100/150, closer to 200 RT cores, I'm going to re-evaluate what sort of system I'm going to build.

I can't drop 2 grand on high-end parts only to throw it away or try to bargain for it on ebay/risk scammers and spend it again in 2 years when the performance is more reasonable. I don't want a collection of expensive obsolete PC parts building up here and there's a lot of cool, worthwhile shit to buy. I can't even give them away to people I know, no one wants these computers, they want tablets.
Maybe I'll get something midrange, if there's even any point, and by the time it's adequate we'll have DDR5 and intel 10nm 5GHz with lots of cores to maintain 144/240Hz with next-gen games.

Let's see what AMD has, might not be making use of RTX for a few more years anyway. I'm not playing anywhere close to 30fps for anything short of miraculous gains. Pump it up.
30fps....the fucking audacity after the price hike and selling high-refresh monitors *clenches fist, picturing green logo*.

Last edited:

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Nvidia might as well set money on fire since they'll cannibalize their own products
Why?
If you want ray tracing, you pay for it. And if you dont, you get another Nvidia GPU. Just like they did with Turing. They didn't went bankrupt did they?
They could do the same with Ampere. But not just for low-end gpus.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Why?
If you want ray tracing, you pay for it. And if you dont, you get another Nvidia GPU. Just like they did with Turing. They didn't went bankrupt did they?
They could do the same with Ampere. But not just for low-end gpus.

They most likely did that with Turing because they had so much shitty yields that they produced a lot chips that just couldn't do RT => rebrand it and ship it to recover some costs.

Very unlikely that was their intention when going into current-gen of cards and it's very unlikely their intention moving forwards. I'm surprised if even AMD bothers with non-RT cards once they get their solution going.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I think my 2080ti may last the whole PS5 generation. I do think they need to focus more on price reduction at the top end than performance gains though, most people aren't shelling out over $1k for GPUs and the -80ti's used to be big movers for them. Gamers want to say they have 'the best' in their rig.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They most likely did that with Turing because they had so much shitty yields that they produced a lot chips that just couldn't do RT => rebrand it and ship it to recover some costs.

Very unlikely that was their intention when going into current-gen of cards and it's very unlikely their intention moving forwards. I'm surprised if even AMD bothers with non-RT cards once they get their solution going.
Rather than doing an 16xx equivalent, I can see them just keeping the 2060S and 2070S in circulation for the sub-$400 crowd

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Fair enough but you see what I mean about raytracing being the key focus of next gen for the first few years, since the consoles are focussed on 4K and cross-gen now. If we won't even enable RTX because we don't have enough RT cores in these expensive new cards to get good performance, what's the point.

I have a sneaking suspicion that xbox will be cross-gen for more than 2 years too, especially if there aren't exclusives to push people to the XSX.
And if Sony supports PCs with specs considerably lower than a PS5...it's almost the same thing.
It's starting to feel like next-gen doesn't even start till close to 2024, when we ditch cross-gen and start making good use of those new systems, and have pro refreshes too.

I want to hear about how many RT cores are in the 3080. I hope it's multiples more than what they dripped into the 20XX to give us 30fps, while raising the prices.
And the performance needs to go way up too if the consoles are close to a 2070 super in power for $450 for the whole system with SSDs, decent CPUs and nice form-factor. Step it up. Big steps. Leap even.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I truthfully expect the 3080TI to be a clean $1499. I think setting my expectations there doesn't lead too much room for disappointment. But hey, it'll probably come bundled with a digital code for Cyberpunk 2077.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
PLEASE don't have the 3080ti release later than the rest. I know it's a high probability but come on Nvidia.

AMD 4th Gen + 3080ti would make for a great combo upgrade.
I don't understand these posts.

What do you prefer?

* Variant A: a new RTX Titan card released around the time of series 30 introduction priced $1500 and a year after that you'll get a 3080Ti with similar performance for $800.
* Variant B: a new 3080Ti card released around the time of series 30 introduction priced $1500 - and that's all, folks!

Nah, Switch 2 will use this
Switch 2 won't use any off shelf Tegra SoC as none of them are made for mobile power envelope now. If Nintendo will want to stay with NV then they'll have to pay for the design of a completely custom SoC for Switch 2.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch 2 won't use any off shelf Tegra SoC as none of them are made for mobile power envelope now. If Nintendo will want to stay with NV then they'll have to pay for the design of a completely custom SoC for Switch 2.
You really think Nvidia won't use their designs for other products?

Nov 20, 2019
Fair enough but you see what I mean about raytracing being the key focus of next gen for the first few years, since the consoles are focussed on 4K now. If we won't even enable RTX because we don't have enough RT cores in these new cards, what's the point.

I have sneaking suspicion that xbox will be cross-gen for more than 2 years, especially if there aren't exclusives to push people to the XSX.
And if Sony supports PCs with specs considerably lower than a PS5...it's almost the same thing.
It's starting to feel like next-gen doesn't start till close to 2024.

I want to hear about how many RT cores are in the 3080. I hope it's multiples more than what they dripped into the 20XX, while raising the prices.
I understand what your saying, a performance hit should be already expected because of the demands of RT. Next gen consoles will have RT but it will be optimized. I myself use a Razer Blade Pro with a RTX 2080 Max-Q and I get About 80 to 100 fps on Wolfenstein Youngblood max settings at 1080p with RT on. Imagine 4k thats why VRS and DLSS exist. My card is the equivalent of an RTX 2070 desktop card at around 7.5 to 8 TFlops.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I truthfully expect the 3080TI to be a clean $1499. I think setting my expectations there doesn't lead too much room for disappointment. But hey, it'll probably come bundled with a digital code for Cyberpunk 2077.

If AMD can compete there's no way it will be $1499.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did I fuck up by buying a 2080 super in September?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If AMD can compete there's no way it will be $1499.

I hope they can, and I hope it's not that expensive, but AMD has yet to show they can match Nvidia when it comes to the XX80 Ti series for a while now.

But hey, if AMD can bring it, hell yes. Do it AMD. Help my wallet out.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia could easily go back to its old formula of releasing the 3080 in September for $900-1000 with 10GB GDDR6 that is ~20% faster than the 2080 Ti and then release the 3080 Ti in March or April 2021 for $1999 with 20 GB of RAM ;p. That way they get people to double dip who insist on always having the fastest consumer video card, excluding the Titan that now costs $2500 and would likely go up in price to $3000-4000.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So did I fuck up by buying a 2080 super in September?

Not really. There will always be something new at one point in time. Currently we aren't even close to RTX 3000 series, rumors seem to point towards second half of 2020. At the time 3080 arrives you'll be around one year on your 2080S.