• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
IF.
They hype their cards every year as Nvidia killers and I'm always dissapointed. :/
They brought it with their CPUs, but idk if they can come back again with their GPUs.

Maybe next architecture after Navi now that they can start putting cash back into dGPU R&D, but I wouldn't expect Big Navi to shake NV too much.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
IF.
They hype their cards every year as Nvidia killers and I'm always dissapointed. :/
They brought it with their CPUs, but idk if they can come back again with their GPUs.

They caught Intel flat footed and are soaring past them in the CPU scene.

GPUs have been...OK, but nothing to compete against Nvidia's high end cards. Hopefully that changes this year.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will. My guess 3070 and 3080 will have 10GB or maaaybe 12GB Vram. If more than these happens i will change my avatar as Jensen Huang

J/k about that avatar stuff. :)

That is why I am not preordering cyberpunk. Nvidia would do well to bundle it with their cards.

Yes. They gave away Witcher 3 and Batman AK with GTX 980/970, damn, what a great deal was that.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If the 20GB version is only for Quadro wouldn't 10GB be a bit low for the regular version? 4k + ray tracing + higher res textures next gen would be really vram heavy wouldn't it? Wouldn't a 12GB or 16GB version make more sense?

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
Guess I will be selling my RTX 2080S when these come out! Let's just hope they don't cost an arm and a leg...

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
When you sell your GPU online is it buy as is? Do you give them a month warranty? I'm definitely going to offload my 2080ti when the 3080ti releases. Whatever the price used 2080ti are going for I will sell it for $100 cheaper.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
When you sell your GPU online is it buy as is? Do you give them a month warranty? I'm definitely going to offload my 2080ti when the 3080ti releases. Whatever the price used 2080ti are going for I will sell it for $100 cheaper.
No don't offer any such thing. People can fuck up a card pretty bad in a month and if you say in writing you're giving them some kind of warranty, they'll win the ebay dispute against you no matter what.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on where you sell it. I usually sell mine as is, but I give enough information about the history of the cars. How long I've had it, if it's been overclocked. If it had ever been mined on.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Plus GPUs hold their value, to a point. You'll easily be able to sell a 2080 Super in July for $500 or more, I'm almost certain.
How is going to sell a used RTX 2080 Super for $500 when a brand new RTX 3070 will be sold for (probably) $500, it will be (a lot) faster, with new features like HDMI 2.1, probably more VRAM, etc?

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand these posts.

What do you prefer?

* Variant A: a new RTX Titan card released around the time of series 30 introduction priced $1500 and a year after that you'll get a 3080Ti with similar performance for $800.
* Variant B: a new 3080Ti card released around the time of series 30 introduction priced $1500 - and that's all, folks!
I'll take option B for $1500. Don't want to have to wait another year to upgrade from my 1080ti and continue to miss out on playing games on the high end.

Bishop

Nov 1, 2017
Oh right. I think I might cop the 30 super series due to myself buying the PS5 and LGCX Television and stuff.
That's what I plan on doing. With all the hype talk about next gen console's, I do want to see what the PS5 can do, but I ultimately I will upgrade my 980 ti to a 3080 ti. I do want to have the best of both, plus see what differences they have this time. As now the obvious is ultra settings, SSD, 60fps+, no worries about backward compatability, Ray Tracing on newer cards, and all the custom mods you can do on PC.

Really waiting for the PS5 and everything it can do, but I wonder if some hype job may be behind it. Plus, you are at the mercy of the developer and what they decide the settings you can play with on Console. I'm glad to own both personally.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
That's what I plan on doing. With all the hype talk about next gen console's, I do want to see what the PS5 can do, but I ultimately I will upgrade my 980 ti to a 3080 ti. I do want to have the best of both, plus see what differences they have this time. As now the obvious is ultra settings, SSD, 60fps+, no worries about backward compatability, Ray Tracing on newer cards, and all the custom mods you can do on PC.

Really waiting for the PS5 and everything it can do, but I wonder if some hype job may be behind it. Plus, you are at the mercy of the developer and what they decide the settings you can play with on Console. I'm glad to own both personally.

My buddy of mines have a 980ti. How is it holding up for you? I got a 2080 Super.

Bishop

Nov 1, 2017
My buddy of mines have a 980ti. How is it holding up for you? I got a 2080 Super.
It's holding decently well for 1080p games, I can run games in 4K at max settings if they are from 2015 and before. With the newer games, even at 1080p, I do have to bring down a lot of the settings to stay at 60fps. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is around 45fps, while The Division 1 and 2 stay locked in at 60fps.

With the next gen coming up and the newer cards, it will be time to upgrade it in 2021 just so I can hook up the Display port to HDMI and run everything at 4K without having to worry about that.

You have a great card, I wish I could be using that one right now. I played Control on the PS4 Pro, but it should look amazing on the RTX 2080 Super.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You really think Nvidia won't use their designs for other products?
Tegra SoCs after Parker aren't made for handheld / mobile devices.
Xavier is 10-30W, Orin is likely twice or so more than that. They are targeting embedded AI systems where neither batter power nor cooling is an issue.
This market itself is estimated to be several orders of magnitude bigger than that of Nintendo consoles as a whole from which NV gains some small percentage for the chips. So yeah, I think that they'll be completely okay with abandoning it altogether if Nintendo will decide to go with another vendor instead of funding the design of a new unique SoC from NV for Switch 2. The only thing which may stop them here is an idea of keeping at least one console contract - there are benefits to this besides profits.

Is Ampere a new architecture or a Turing refinement @7nm (sort of like Maxwell and Pascal)?
This is an interesting question really. You could say that Turing itself is already a refinement of Volta which is a 2017 architecture. Launching Ampere as Turing@7nm would mean that the core SM design will be 3+ years old at this point. Thus I'm expecting bigger changes than what we saw with Maxwell->Pascal but it will probably be an iteration more than a revolution.

I'll take option B for $1500. Don't want to have to wait another year to upgrade from my 1080ti and continue to miss out on playing games on the high end.
You can take option A and get yourself a Titan for the same $1500. If that wasn't obvious.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
My initial thought was the 20Gb card would be the Titan. Then I remembered the RTX Titan already has 24Gb. 20Gb is ridiculous for a consumer card, maybe for 8k monitors?

Nov 20, 2019
It's holding decently well for 1080p games, I can run games in 4K at max settings if they are from 2015 and before. With the newer games, even at 1080p, I do have to bring down a lot of the settings to stay at 60fps. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is around 45fps, while The Division 1 and 2 stay locked in at 60fps.

With the next gen coming up and the newer cards, it will be time to upgrade it in 2021 just so I can hook up the Display port to HDMI and run everything at 4K without having to worry about that.

You have a great card, I wish I could be using that one right now. I played Control on the PS4 Pro, but it should look amazing on the RTX 2080 Super.
Control looks amazing on my razer blade pro with rtx 2080 max q. RT is a league above current gen lighting.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
What I'm worrying about is the cable connector pins.

Will it be 2 8-pins connectors, requiring at least a 350W or a 400W just to power this graphics card on a dedicated PSW?

Dedicated PSW = the PC will have 2 PSWs, one dedicated for the graphics card, the other for the rest of the components.

Oct 25, 2017
Higher end 3GB cards from earlier in the gen haven't aged well.

GDDR6 bought in bulk (thousands) in late 2018 was less than $12 per GB. In the millions that Nvidia and AMD order, and over a year later its much less.

Starting off the gen with:
128 bit/xx50 - 8GB
192 bit/xx60 - 12GB
256 bit/xx70 - 16GB
320 bit/xx80 - 20GB
384 bit/xx80 Ti - 24GB

makes sense, especially if RT is introduced down the stack to the xx50/xx50 ti cards.The 1080 Ti having 11GB was the right choice in 2017, and the 2080 Ti sticking with 11GB with the addition of RT in 2018 was silly in hindsight.

New consoles shipping with caching SSDs, 4k resolution as a standard, and at least 16GB of unified GDDR6 memory is already going to make things tough for the 10 and 20 series cards.

This isn't even talking about what AMD might do, and they have a tendency to throw a lot of video memory at their own cards.

Last edited:

Bishop

Nov 1, 2017
Control looks amazing on my razer blade pro with rtx 2080 max q. RT is a league above current gen lighting.
It must be a great way to play it, lucky you lol. With the amount of destruction you are capable of doing in game, the Ray Tracing feature should make everything look great. I'll wait, not that I'm happy about it haha.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Hope they don't delay the 3080 Ti, but the 3070 if priced $500 or under for 2080 Ti performance could be popular.

Blackrobe

Nov 1, 2019
My 1080 Ti is still doing FABULOUS, such a great purchase. I wonder if it's time to upgrade... I'll wait for the benches.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
20GB is a fucking enormous quantity of headroom for VRAM, even considering next generation asset/texture standards raising load on top of 4K rendering and a healthy dose of AA. We're bound by current generation titles and a vast majority of modern games don't hit 10GB VRAM at 4K. Control I think is currently the most demanding at at 4K with all settings maxed out and RT enabled you're looking at almost 9GB VRAM. To topple 10GB VRAM you need to go over 8K which naturally milks VRAM for all it can. But that calls into question the probability of anybody actually playing at 8K with maxed out RT and settings, which on next generation games will be so fucking demanding and performance intensive I'm not convinced these cards can accommodate.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
20GB is a fucking enormous quantity of headroom for VRAM, even considering next generation asset/texture standards raising load on top of 4K rendering and a healthy dose of AA. We're bound by current generation titles and a vast majority of modern games don't hit 10GB VRAM at 4K. Control I think is currently the most demanding at at 4K with all settings maxed out and RT enabled you're looking at almost 9GB VRAM. To topple 10GB VRAM you need to go over 8K which naturally milks VRAM for all it can. But that calls into question the probability of anybody actually playing at 8K with maxed out RT and settings, which on next generation games will be so fucking demanding and performance intensive I'm not convinced these cards can accommodate.

8k is out of the question, especially taking RTX into the equation. Control shits the bed on 4k with RTX on High even on a 2080Ti - DLSS or some other low res upscale solution is the only thing that saves it at that point.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't titans generally not gaming cards?
They are using the same chips as gaming cards, just have more VRAM usually. Every x80Ti has a Titan pair which is similar in performance.

Also the markup for them here can be pretty bad
Same price as 3080Ti means that the markup will be similar.

Again: between an option of an expensive Titan card coming first and a cheaper Ti later and both of them coming at the same time at similar price the first option is for smart people and the second is for those who buy product names like "xxxTi" instead of looking at specs and performance.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got a 2080S a week ago for 750$

heres to hoping that the 3080 is starting at 1000$-1200$ and not that much better maybe it'll be a beefed up 2080ti