• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Some people are suggesting a film in the style of Spaghetti Westerns, and 60's Samurai movies. That would be cool, but Obi-Wan might be too pure to be a protagonist in one of those movies. Kinda makes me wish they did the Boba Fett movie instead.
It doesn't have to reference Spaghetti Westerns (or High Plains Drifter), they can reference the original lone frontier hero archetype in the vein of Shane

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
McGregor is now the right age to be "Obi-Wan halfway from Prequels to Alec Guinness", so the delay actually helped.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have to reference Spaghetti Westerns (or High Plains Drifter), they can reference the original lone frontier hero archetype in the vein of Shane
Obi-Wan might even be more pure than Shane. Unless of course part of the movie delves into Obi-Wan's dark pre-Jedi past.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yeah. Just make it a man with no name western type movie, and don't ever say his name, and if you do make it at the end when he reidentifies as a Jedi.

Him being pure would a good twist imo. He'd feel responsible for every little miserable thing happening in the galaxy, feel the weight of it all on his shoulders. Could easily be a trilogy

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Obi-Wan might even be more pure than Shane. Unless of course part of the movie delves into Obi-Wan's dark pre-Jedi past.
Or his disillusionment and desire to not meddle in people's affairs post episode III. This really isn't that hard.

Anyway, this is kind of an irrelevant discussion because who knows what type of story the studio intends to tell.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can tell quite a few stories with exile Obi-Wan on Tatoonie, or even other bits of galaxy if one wanted.

It could be it's own franchise, imo.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Are they seriously going through with this? Who in their right mind would want a movie about Obi Wan, he's not special.

If the Jedi were ranked by power he'd be top 3 or even top 2 depending on how you feel about Mace Windu. He overcame Darth Vader who wasn't even mutilated yet. Obi Wan is a certified badass so why wouldn't we want a movie about one of the most powerful Jedi?

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the Jedi were ranked by power he'd be top 3 or even top 2 depending on how you feel about Mace Windu. He overcame Darth Vader who wasn't even mutilated yet. Obi Wan is a certified badass so why wouldn't we want a movie about one of the most powerful Jedi?

considering he literally turned himself into force particles or whatever on command (aka immortality) he could arguably be the top spot. mace windu will always be a bamf though

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If they don't bring back Ewan then fuck this movie
Oh, he's gonna be back. That's not even a possibility. LucasFilm knows how much people like him in the role, are willing to throw a fuck ton of money at him and he actually wants to do it. He should've probably been acting a bit more hard to get, honestly.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ewan has been wanting to do an Obi-Wan movie for a while, as he's stated a few times now, so I can't see him turning it down. He seems to love Star Wars, loved playing the character, and was great as the character, so it feels like a no brainer and a lock.

Oct 28, 2017
England
I hope they bring back Ewan. He was the shining star in that pile of shit prequels

Definitely hope they get Ewan back.

If they don't bring back Ewan then fuck this movie

Ewan or bust. If it's not him, I refuse to ever see it.

Ewan for Obi and I'm on board

Why do people think Ewan wouldn't be in this, is there a new unfounded fear that Lucasfilm isn't interested in keep continuity with prequel actors? Can I remind everyone that they brought back Jimmy Smitts to play Bail Organa in Rogue One? And that they even brought back Genevieve O'Reilly to play Mon Mothma in Rogue One and provide the voice for her in Rebels, even though her scenes in RotS were cut out? And that Ewan McGregor even did some cameo voice acting for The Force Awakens? I'm pretty sure that Lucasfilm will ask him, and that Ewan will say yes.

Silence

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah, I'd love for this to happen. So much potential, and such a great character. That said, Ewan or I'm not interested. Recasting someone who made the character so interesting, in otherwise just ok movies, would be a mistake. (Yeah, I don't hate the prequels, but let's be honest, if everyone put in the effort McGregor did, they could have been amazing).

Oct 28, 2017
California
Why do people think Ewan wouldn't be in this, is there a new unfounded fear that Lucasfilm isn't interested in keep continuity with prequel actors? Can I remind everyone that they brought back Jimmy Smitts to play Bail Organa in Rogue One? And that they even brought back Genevieve O'Reilly to play Mon Mothma in Rogue One and provide the voice for her in Rebels, even though her scenes in RotS were cut out? And that Ewan McGregor even did some cameo voice acting for The Force Awakens? I'm pretty sure that Lucasfilm will ask him, and that Ewan will say yes.

We just want it to be 100% confirmed, that's all.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm half expecting the movie ends with a fairly somber tone, but Obi Wan is looking down at a young Luke (who doesn't see him), and says 'We still have hope'.

Oct 26, 2017
The real question is not if McGregor will reprise his role (of course he will) but whether or not Liam Neeson will make an appearance.
We might finally get some closure on that character...

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Would this be the third Star Wars Story or is this one separate from those?

Cause I wouldn't mind it at all to be honest.

Bebop242

Oct 28, 2017
I've lost touch with these movies.

Is the 2018 Star Wars movie, Solo?
Whats 2019? Episode 9?
2020? Kenobi?

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
This is a much better idea for a solo film than the Han Solo film. But like others, I'm only interested if McGregor reprises his role.

Oct 26, 2017
day in the life of a Sarlaac
how the Bith Jizz got together
Origin of paper mache nose guy
more Podracing

The script practically writes itself

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
There's almost no way they don't get McGregor. He's expressed an interest, is close to the right age, and between III and IV is really the only place it makes sense to put this movie. Now just get James Mangold on board.