• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Blizzard has made a lot of stupid decisions but I doubt they're killing OW1. Like they wouldn't make the Switch port at all if this was happening.
This narrative is one that i can't stop laughing about. The switch getting a port of a 3 year old game was never going to be a factor in making a sequel for other consoles. I seriously don't get why people ever thought this.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This narrative is one that i can't stop laughing about. The switch getting a port of a 3 year old game was never going to be a factor in making a sequel for other consoles. I seriously don't get why people ever thought this.
There's tons of reasons why killing OW1 doesn't make sense (even the video you posted said it doesn't make sense) but bad PR and damaging what's been a good relationship with Nintendo so far would absolutely be a factor. They weren't forced to make the Switch port either.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
They've added so many heroes over the years and they can't squeeze some more in for a new numbered title?

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's tons of reasons why killing OW1 doesn't make sense (even the video you posted said it doesn't make sense) but bad PR and damaging what's been a good relationship with Nintendo so far would absolutely be a factor. They weren't forced to make the Switch port either.
The switch port was exactly that, a port. Of a 3 year old game. Thinking this would have any influence on Blizzard moving forward with the franchise on 3 other consoles, whose player base makes up over 90% of the game's population and is responsible for the rise of the competitive scene is just silly. There shouldn't be any bad blood between the two for this decision, especially because there isn't cross play anyway.

They've added so many heroes over the years and they can't squeeze some more in for a new numbered title?
Yeah this is honestly the most perplexing aspect of this whole thing to me. New heroes are the reason people get excited for OW updates.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually wondered how Blizzard seriously intended to keep supporting Overwatch on the switch with the hardware difference and the console's filesize limtations hamstringing updates. "The game is nearly complete and there won't be any major updates anymore soon" explains it pretty well.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The switch port was exactly that, a port. Of a 3 year old game. Thinking this would have any influence on Blizzard moving forward with the franchise on 3 other consoles, whose player base makes up over 90% of the game's population and is responsible for the rise of the competitive scene is just silly. There shouldn't be any bad blood between the two for this decision, especially because there isn't cross play anyway.
You're missing the point, if they were always planning on killing off Overwatch, they wouldn't have made the Switch port in the first place. "It's just a port" isn't a good enough reason to release what's supposed to be a dying game.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
No indication that it could be F2P, or people will be forced to buy OW2 if they kill the first one ?

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're missing the point, if they were always planning on killing off Overwatch, they wouldn't have made the Switch port in the first place. "It's just a port" isn't a good enough reason to release what's supposed to be a dying game.
I'm not missing the point, i just dont see one being made. Why would it be reasonable to not make a product for 90% of the game's user base because the switch just got a port of a 3 year old game? It wouldn't. And as such, it isn't. Which is why theyre going ahead and making this a full on sequel separate from OW1. Now I think there are reasons for why this can be a bad idea, but I still haven't heard an actual compelling argument for why it coming out on the switch is one of them.

Aspen

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
The new game will be PVE like Jason said. It will coexist with the old game. It's called Overwatch 2 because they think it will sell better that way.

YOUarcade

Oct 27, 2017
California
Are they keeping the foundation but changing everything up, similar to Fortnite? Is that why the game is download-only on the Switch? Because they'll drastically change the base game?

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
The new game will be PVE like Jason said. It will coexist with the old game. It's called Overwatch 2 because they think it will sell better that way.
Dumb I wouldn't call it overwatch 2 unless somehow they merge the multiplayer over to the new game kind of like uncharted lost legacy.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it makes sense to keep the player bases separate. It would all be better unified under one game even if PvP doesn't get a major overhaul like the rumor suggests.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
I still think Overwatch 2 is an odd idea. They shoudl just create an expansion rather than a new game. This will separate the player bases, and if you join the PVP to keep the same player base in both games then that leaves no space for OW2 to evolve.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I still think Overwatch 2 is an odd idea. They shoudl just create an expansion rather than a new game. This will separate the player bases, and if you join the PVP to keep the same player base in both games then that leaves no space for OW2 to evolve.

All the more reason why I find those "leaks" to be incredibly suspect. Hell, every year some fans will make a multitude of different off-camera screenshots of achievements to "leak" different cosmetic skins for the different events.

It's just best to watch the BlizzCon stream/read news articles of the revealed games when the con goes live next week, and go in with little-to-no expectations.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
All the more reason why I find those "leaks" to be incredibly suspect. Hell, every year some fans will make a multitude of different off-camera screenshots of achievements to "leak" different cosmetic skins for the different events.

It's just best to watch the BlizzCon stream/read news articles of the revealed games when the con goes live next week, and go in with little-to-no expectations.

Indeed. We'll probably know by the end of next week. But it's always fun to speculate a bit.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So just when they finally make the game constantly enjoyable to play with the 2-2-2 system they are going to change everything again in one of their most popular games?

Man Blizzard is batting a thousand lol

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Is this an actual rumour or do people just want this? I was a hardcore raider in the Lich king times and it would be quite funny if they bring him back.

One of my friends, who was a big Warcraft RTS nut, would dream of a Warcraft IV that co-exists with the next WoW expansion.

And given that the development team are running out of big bad villains for this universe, it's only a matter of time before things revert to status quo.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an actual rumour or do people just want this? I was a hardcore raider in the Lich king times and it would be quite funny if they bring him back.

Sort of. Bolvar was fairly active during Legion as part of the Death Knight class quests, and he has a minor role in a quest during the current expansion. We also know there is some kind of Death Knight stuff happening either in the next patch or expansion due to datamining.

To be clear, it's not "hey lets bring Arthas back", as it's a different dude entirely.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Sort of. Bolvar was fairly active during Legion as part of the Death Knight class quests, and he has a minor role in a quest during the current expansion. We also know there is some kind of Death Knight stuff happening either in the next patch or expansion due to datamining.

To be clear, it's not "hey lets bring Arthas back", as it's a different dude entirely.
A remade Northrend with a proper Azjol'Nerub zone would be better than Arthas, lets see what they do anyway.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Ah right. A new Lich King. Was thinking of Arthas indeed.

DRPSquirtle64

May 30, 2019
Looks more and more like just a title change for existing game. Would be interesting to see if they charge any price to update though. Original overwatch was a full price paid game at launch after all.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Someone help find this tracer image to possibly debunk? There is another tweet that says collect 35 cans with hero symbols but the kerning for it looks off so I'm not gonna post it, this could be a model someone made for SFM.

I don't usually post stuff this unresearched but Blizzard has had a terrible time with leaks

edit: also noticed her googles are different then her usual googles

Last edited:

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
seems legit actually.

EH2O30uXUAE61wr.jpg

I edited my post but the kerning doesn't look right on this though I can't find the Genji art or Hammond's icon

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I edited my post but the kerning doesn't look right on this though I can't find the Genji art or Hammond's icon

The Hammond icon is a prof pic in game.
The icons also clash.

In fact, that Hammond icon is missing his ear colour, if they magic wanded the background it's possible they accidentally deleted the colour in his ear.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Looks more and more like just a title change for existing game. Would be interesting to see if they charge any price to update though. Original overwatch was a full price paid game at launch after all.

For PVE? Definently.

I doubt they're ballsy enough to make you rebuy the same multiplayer though. Likey the new content will have a new pvp mode ala Left 4 dead. Heroes vs Villains.
We'll see if Overwatch can support Quick play, Competitive, 7 arcade modes, custom servers, a pve mode, and possibly more pvp modes with the pve.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not sure about that Overwatch 2 logo. It looks weird with the 2 attached the the right side like that. I would have guessed that if Overwatch 2 were a thing, the logo would be symmetrical some how. I hope it's all is true though. Overwatch is fun, but it needs something new and exciting.

KITPUNK

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Someone help find this tracer image to possibly debunk? There is another tweet that says collect 35 cans with hero symbols but the kerning for it looks off so I'm not gonna post it, this could be a model someone made for SFM.

I don't usually post stuff this unresearched but Blizzard has had a terrible time with leaks

edit: also noticed her googles are different then her usual googles

The logo itself is pretty imperfect

EH2QBmYU8AEmEWq
EH2QBxNUEAsHBCy

Not a scaling issue, just really unclean lines. I feel like they used the magic wand tool on a logo and auto-converted it to a path without taking the effort to adjust.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The logo itself is pretty imperfect

EH2QBmYU8AEmEWq
EH2QBxNUEAsHBCy

Not a scaling issue, just really unclean lines. I feel like they used the magic wand tool on a logo and auto-converted it to a path without taking the effort to adjust.
Shame, those Tracer sunglasses looked great

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Everything so far sounds confusing to me.
I am not sure why would they announce the game titled "Overwatch 2" when they said that they plan to support Overwatch for at least 3 more years. They said that they have 9 or more heroes in development. Where are they?

How will Overwatch 2 be different from the first game? Will Overwatch coexist with Overwatch 2? When are they planning to release Overwatch 2? I am confused.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Everything so far sounds confusing to me.
I am not sure why would they announce the game titled "Overwatch 2" when they said that they plan to support Overwatch for at least 3 more years. They said that they have 9 or more heroes in development. Where are they?

How will Overwatch 2 be different from the first game? Will Overwatch coexist with Overwatch 2? When are they planning to release Overwatch 2? I am confused.

They're almost certainly not naming it "Overwatch 2". That would imply that it's meant to replace Overwatch, which I see as unlikely at best because of lifespan and the recent updates.

But to humour you, the development team/Jeff actually said in the past that working on a story mode would be like creating a new game from scratch. Their engine for Overwatch was designed with PvP in mind first and foremost, and I believe they've mentioned that creating the Archives events was very challenging and time consuming as they had to work around the restrictions that came from that.

Nov 11, 2017
Software

Posted this in the OW thread but apparently no new Hero as blizzcon (unclear if thats the case for the game), characters will now have leveling up features. PvE and PvP mode, entirely new worked PvP mode that will require players to jump over to the new game as opposed to having one homogeneous community.

I have...concerns.

EDIT:

Some clarification from leaker

Great video. Kinda hyped for a L4D-esque mode.

Agreed. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So this is going to be another sku or is just fortnite chapter 2?