• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
This was posted on official OW site last night and then quickly removed:

KXKjF1N.png

It shows exactly the same logo as last year with new dates for 2019.
If it turns out to be true this will be such a disappointment.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me after the rest of the events, but that would be horrible indeed.

I doubt this though.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I really do not understand why they are essentially letting this game die with such a small development team and minimal drip feed of content. Surely people still buy lots of lottboxes and OWL tokens that this is still taking in money.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The dates are just text that accidentally went up, it's not like they're part of the same image file as the Retribution logo, so it's a bit of a jump to assume there won't be a new mission. Especially since, if there wasn't a new mode, it wouldn't really make sense to still have just the Retribution logo at the top of the page without Uprising's as well.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well be a placeholder image, way too soon to enter this doom and gloom thinking we have here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were pretty clear that all the yearly events won't be seeing any changes or new content going forward.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Man, people are pretty down on Overwatch lately, huh?

I did not get to play much of this event last year so I am looking forward to it, but it is pretty clear the fans want a serious shakeup that Blizzard does not seem to want to deliver.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard's commitment to making absolutely no worthwhile content is just hilarious at this point.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how true this exact rumor is, it boggles my mind how unimpressive and unexciting this game's post-launch support has been. What's good took so long to arrive, and there's so many events and seaons that go by without any meaningful addition. Meanwhile there's Fortnite changing the way the game is played twice per week. Rocket League (made by an indie dev) that manages to throw in something worth playing for every couple weeks. Games like Siege or For Honor delivering maps, classes and game modes left and right. For all its flaws, Call Of Duty's 12-month cycles in which they drop like 20 different maps, a lot of new weapons, classes, etc.. Unless they are secretly working on a sequel or something, this is pretty poor for a GAAS. It's too bad because I legit loved playing Overwatch at first, but there's just not enough things going on to keep playing regularly, not when other games manage to reinvent themselves constantly.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Regardless of how true this exact rumor is, it boggles my mind how unimpressive and unexciting this game's post-launch support has been. What's good took so long to arrive, and there's so many events and seaons that go by without any meaningful addition. Meanwhile there's Fortnite changing the way the game is played twice per week. Rocket League (made by an indie dev) that manages to throw in something worth playing for every couple weeks. Games like Siege or For Honor delivering maps, classes and game modes left and right. For all its flaws, Call Of Duty's 12-month cycles in which they drop like 20 different maps, a lot of new weapons, classes, etc.. Unless they are secretly working on a sequel or something, this is pretty poor for a GAAS. It's too bad because I legit loved playing Overwatch at first, but there's just not enough things going on to keep playing regularly, not when other games manage to reinvent themselves constantly.
Agreed. Year one showed some promise, with new modes, skins, and a slew of quality of life improvements. I was expecting them to build on that - and even felt happy to invest in some lootboxes during that year. They're still making money hand-over fist - where the hell is that going (rhetorical question, as obviously it's lining some suit's pockets)

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I really do not understand why they are essentially letting this game die with such a small development team and minimal drip feed of content. Surely people still buy lots of lottboxes and OWL tokens that this is still taking in money.
It really is crazy. Blizzard is a *colossal* company, and they're doing...what, exactly? WoW expansions, HotS skins, maybe some Diablo stuff, and...Overwatch skins?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Sad if true. With yesterday's patch the game is getting healthier and better but the community needs new content because the playerbase is shrinking everyday.

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Well said. I agree.
Archives is the only one out of 5 or 6 events that was supposed to have new mission every year. And if they scrap this... what's left exactly?

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I never really expect nothing out of these event modes, i just wait for new skins and that's it.
The meta in competitive is what keeps me playing the game and nothing else really.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Preach. This game was so wonderful at the start, but the post-game support is barely present. Last year was dreadful for me personally and this year is starting to look like a repeat. I've moved on but I really would like something exciting to come out to make me hop back in.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is true (and it could just be a mistaken/placeholder logo) then the game is basically in its last year of life at this point.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon guys, these single player missions are a terrible waste of time. Stop with the hyperbole.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I uninstalled it because basically no new content besides skins for at least a year so no point in playing. The 1 hero/map every couple of months is not enough. The events with unique game modes kept it fun but after that stopped, I stopped too.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

My god, Overwatch has become stale as hell. I remember when I used to get so excited for new events in this game the first year or two.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man. We still haven't had a single story event that pulled a bunch of these heroes together in current time with some sort of plot. That's literally all I want, hell even some single player mode chapters would be nice.

I'm actually getting bored with New Characters. I want more game modes/content that isnt cosmetic.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
And this is why anybody i added to play OW in-game or otherwise doesnt wanna play it anymore ontop of the awful community and comp mode.

But heres 1 map and 1 hero every once and a while please understand.

Fantasy

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
120-160k viewers on Twitch for OWL every weekend (4 days a week for normal schedule) & they are just letting the game dry out after a massive patch?

I sure hope not.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Considering it supposedly took them a year to make that Retribution event, I guess it's not surprising they aren't making a new one in this past year of rehashed events.

They do need to something other than new skins (for the same handful of heroes) for the 50% major updates to the game every year.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell are they doing over there? The rate at content is so slow and events have not been updated for the longest time.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Activision Blizzard are all about saving money while making lots of money now it seem. Cut costs however you can. Overwatch isn't exempted.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
C'mon guys, these single player missions are a terrible waste of time. Stop with the hyperbole.

There is a big community of Overwatch PvE players who are into the lore, story, and really want a massive co-op campaign and have to wait every April for scraps. Those same people are usually the ones playing the PvE on hardest difficulty to get highest leaderboard rank. If the game devs wanted the focus to only be ranked and quick play, they wouldn't have spent time on all of this other stuff, especially archives and arcade. Sorry, but simply trashing the mode and wanting those people to move on to ranked or qp, won't cut it.

However, if all Blizzard wants to focus on is ranked and e-sports from now on, they have been doing a good job making that message loud and clear since last summer.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Big bummer for me if true :( I've been on an overwatch break for a month now (since Apex launch) for multiple reasons (toxic teammates, feeling like i can't climb in comp, i really don't care about the new years event) and was planning on using an event to get me to hop back in.

Oh well--I guess I'll just keep watching OWL.

Rango

Oct 29, 2017
I've been done with the game for awhile now due to how long they take to update their shit to keep the game fresh. And now this? Same shit every year? They really trying to kill off the game huh?

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018

Yeah, I'm with you. I play the event modes to get the first free lootbox win, and then go back to the meat and potatoes competitive mode. These event modes are just what they've always been - a fun, momentary distraction, so I never really expected them to spend much of their development time on them each year.

And I don't really get all the complaints that the content is "drying up". They're basically releasing the content that matters for actual long-term retention (maps and heroes) at the same pace they have been from the beginning. I mean, if you're bored with the game, I get that since it's three years old now, but the flow of that content hasn't really changed much.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
They are my favourite out of all of the event side modes, and I've been looking forward to each of them ever since they did the first one with Uprising.

There is a big community of Overwatch PvE players who are into the lore, story, and really want a massive co-op campaign and have to wait every April for scraps. Those same people are usually the ones playing the PvE on hardest difficulty to get highest leaderboard rank. If the game devs wanted the focus to only be ranked and quick play, they wouldn't have spent time on all of this other stuff, especially archives and arcade. Sorry, but simply trashing the mode and wanting those people to move on to ranked or qp, won't cut it.

However, if all Blizzard wants to focus on is ranked and e-sports from now on, they have been doing a good job making that message loud and clear since last summer.

These PVE missions are terrible, I cannot believe people wait a year to play a 10 minute linear mission. I'd rather them take that effort into developing comics, new characters and maps.

Really the only good PVE mode was and still is Junkenstein.