• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RUMOR

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/02/18-watt-usb-c-charger-photos-apple/amp/

apple-18-w-charger.jpg

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Think I read a rumor saying the next iPhone was coming with the fast charger, so I guess this just backs it up.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Should've came with the extra special 10 year in the making iPhone X

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It would make a lot of sense, so hopefully they're dropping lightning and just going to USB-C.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

It's a good thing if that's what they're doing. Consider this, you can charge your 2016+ Android phone with a 2016+ MacBook Pro... but can't charge your 2016+ iPhone with a MacBook Pro. Or, you can natively connect your Android phone to a MacBook or MacBook pro, but can't natively connect your iPhone to a MacBook or MacBook pro. It's just weird.

The downside, is of course, connectivity and people swapping wires for new ones. There will likely be a lot of complaints like when they ditched the old long connector for the lightning connector, as "OMG my 2013 speaker dock is no longer compatible WTF apple!???!!"

They might not be doing that though. They might just be updating the end from the charger itself, not what goes into your phone, in which case this would be pretty stupid and annoying because *everybody* has USB-A to Lightning and nobody has USB-C to lightning. Hopefully they're just logically doing the right thing and this will be USB-C to USB-C and not some stupid alternative.

If it's just the charger... this... I dunno this just seems pointless.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! As others (and the article) have noted, I'm sure this just means we'll get USB-C to lightning cables and not USB-C on both ends. This'll make it easy for me to transfer my wife's phone content using her MacBook at least. Right now it's a pain to search for/use the adapter each time.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I totally thought you meant USB-C in the phone. Putting it on the charger block makes sense, though it's disappointing.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
They should ditch Lightning too and go full USB C.

I agree. Charging all devices with a single cable is the dream. We're coming closer with new Macbooks, the switch, etc.

I imagine size concerns (8,4 mm for USB C, 6,7 mm for Lightning), the goal to control the accessory market for profit and QA reasons are making the step hard though.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
considering they added faster charging w/ usb-c to the latest iphone, this makes sense. Then again, they've offered the slowest model of chargers for years so who knows and they charge an arm and a leg for usb-c->lightning

This likely has nothing to do with ditching lightning

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Most likely. Faster charging speeds

I have a fast USB-C charger and it takes my iPhone from low percent to like 50% in the blink of an eye.
Yeah, that's what I use for all my lightning connector Apple devices. Did time/charge tests over at macrumors, posted a good bit of detail on it.
Without a doubt, yes. Apple isn't leaving Lightning behind.

Yeah, they would lose out on money that way. Unless they started doing some Apple certified USB C cables.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
I hope they abandon lightning, but Apple always goes kicking and screaming with their proprietary shit.

For once, lets have all new cell phone have the same charging port.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Thank goodness. Lightning to USB-C would be excellent. I just recently purchased a Lightning to USB-C cable so I could connect my iPhone into my MacBook Pro (also got the 30W charger...this thing is FAST).

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So will this be iPhone XS or iPhone 11?

I'm overdue for an upgrade. Still rocking 6S Plus. Almost bought a X last week. I could wait it out if they launch in Sept.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
lightning is still slightly smaller. I wouldn't be surprised if it also gives them more control like locking the port against law enforcement (I could be wrong on this).. honestly Lightning is so ubiquitous at this point I think the most vocal critics are non-phone users. as an iPhone user... and most people I know agree with this... there's never a problem locating a lightning connector. Usually carpooling and such it's the USB folks that are the first to be left out (if the car adapter in the car we're in is a fixed lightning cable and not just a USB port)

ayo moose

Oct 31, 2017
Thread title made me think they were switching from lightning to usb-c... this is a stupid conversion. Apple makes no sense.

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna make people melt down globally lol (especially the tech incompetent folks). They should've just gone all in and done USB C to USB C in one swoop.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Thread title made me think they were switching from lightning to usb-c... this is a stupid conversion. Apple makes no sense.
hmm... use the connector that's been around for 6 years giving it a more modern back end connection (also allowing the included cable to be used with their most recent computers).. or switch both connectors on the charging cable instead.... not sure how THEY are the one that makes no sense in this conversation.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably a good move. The first year after a change like this always feels weird. Like with the headphone jack. But just yesterday I finally threw out all my old iPhone headphones. I only use the new iPhone headphones while on the move and have nice headphones for at home. (Still hate the change though)

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Can this charge the switch?
I'll be able to use this with my Switch, right?
I wouldn't expect much. If it's PD presumably you still won't be able to play switch without the battery draining. I expect these to be similar draw to the existing chargers shipping with phones. If it's not PD it will be crazy slow. I'm not sure I see apple (or most phone companies) going the PD route with anything short of iPad (for cost reasons)

similarly I can use Switch's PSU to charge my MacBook Pro.... but not while I'm using it (battery will still drain.. just slower..)

GrooveCommand

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wake me when they get rid of Lightning and have USB-C on the device, not just the charger.

Keep dreaming. Apple doesn't want you using any of their stupid cables with any third party devices. They also want you to buy their shitty overpriced cables, which you're more likely to do because they're proprietary.

Yeah fuck apple, now and forever.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Keep dreaming. Apple doesn't want you using any of their stupid cables with any third party devices. They also want you to buy their shitty overpriced cables, which you're more likely to do because they're proprietary.

lol except the fact that mono price and amazon and such give you great certified cables for low prices but keep spreading the "overpriced" FUD.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017

You know such a thing exists as third party MFi chargers right? They're durable and excellent, and cost less than the $19.99 1M cable Apple gives you.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

in my experience most people end up buying those cheapo Chinese cables from walmart instead of apples own if they need a replacement. id be curious how much apple makes off their proprietary cables and whether or not the high price can make up for the lost sales taken by cheap alternatives.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Should have done so last year, iPhone 8 and X already support usb-c charging, except you have to buy a cable.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Great news! I am planning on switching back to iPhone this fall with their new phones, but I'm spoiled with USB-C now. I was hoping they would make this switch.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
As nice as it sounds with replacing Lightning with USB-C, the lightning connector does have it's advantages with being smaller and more durable. The data transfer speeds don't really matter, considering 99% of data transfer is done wirelessly anyway. You also have to deal with people just using any USB-C cable, and with the lightning connector they can maintain higher quality control and certify the cables.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Great news! I am planning on switching back to iPhone this fall with their new phones, but I'm spoiled with USB-C now. I was hoping they would make this switch.
Just out of curiosity, what phone are you using now? Why do you want to switch over? I was iOS -> Android -> iOS and won't look back now. Really pleased with my 5S, 7 Plus, and now X (but wish there was a X Plus).

Jayson's Rage

Oct 24, 2017
You'll be sleeping forever
Oh no doubt. That's why this news is of exactly 0 interest.

But oh, just wait for the praise of how "revolutionary" and "industry leading" this insignificant change will bring up. I don't hate apple, but in the same breath, I cannot stand how proprietary they attempt to be and the self-important air every single product of theirs has. Mediocre tech coupled with rabid foaming-at-the-mouth fanboys that rival those of boybands or Beyonce or some shit.

Edit: before I get flack for that statement, it's the fanboys I'm talking about, not people who enjoy apple products. The people who attack you for disliking what they seem to have tied their identity to for some dumbass reason.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think it matters for data transfer speeds but if it somehow improves charging times I guess...

I'm still not sure I understand why they got rid of the headphone jack outside of selling way more licenses for adapters and wireless headphones.