• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
As reported by Mystic, Twitter user PSErebus recently tweeted that players shouldn't sell their PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 games in preparation of the PlayStation 5 release, hinting that something may be brewing regarding backward compatibility. PSErebus proved to be extremely reliable, as he has revealed PlayStation information, such as The Last of Us Part 2 release date before the official announcement.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Doubt it. The actual real-world demand for this feature would be extremely tiny and not really worth the investment.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
If this is true I will be soooooooooooo happy O my god.
Too lazy to hook up my older PS consoles, but I still have so many games. Can't wait to play these old gems again. I bet older PS gems will go op in price again if these rumors are true.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Big if true. The only original ps2 game that I have is Siren. It would be nuts if I could just insert the disc and play it. I hope for a digital version of all titles too.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
No way they're not going to use this as a cash grab so here's my call : backward compatibility comes with PS Plus or PS Now subscription

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Sony getting native generation support would be monstrous even for them.

With that said....I don't believe it.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Never heard of this user. Why do they have any credibility?

edit: yup their twitter reads like someone just trying to gain followers with hash tags in nearly every tweet. Calling bullshit.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
If this happpens I will fucking cry. I'd love to be able to just pop in all of my PS2 games and play them with a DS5. My PS2 controllers are busted and finding a new PS2 controller is impossible.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I honestly doubt it knowing Sony but I hope they've done it.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a mic drop moment if they do it . But I highly doubt it as it's so difficult for ps3

Oct 27, 2017
It's the dream.
I've always said that it only takes 1 generation to fix the backwards compatibility mess we launched with the Xbox One and PS4.

Hopefully the value has been proven to the platform holders, third party publishers and the end users.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
None of my ps1 games still work so I must check if I still have my ps2 in good condition.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Doubt it. The actual real-world demand for this feature would be extremely tiny and not really worth the investment.
Just being able to bulk out the library of a subscription service with PS1/2/3/4 games would be a significant advantage for Sony. Look at NES/SNES games on the Switch Online service and oXbox/360 games on Game Pass/Games With Gold.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Natively play playstation 3 games? So there will be cell functionality added on ps5 by default or something?
Including PS3 makes this very doubtful but hey i hope it happens. Add some emulated PSP and Vita functionality while youre at it and make it the ultimate playstation already

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Sure it is. In the burgeoning era of digital purchases + subscription services, 3 additional generations of content in your ecosystem would be a massive boon that pays for itself.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I can maybe see PS1 and 2 via emulator if Sony really cares.
PS3? I really doubt it.

If I can play my PS1 games with bells and whistles...that would be cool.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Right, I'll believe it when I see it. Sony stopped caring about BC a long time ago, we'll be lucky if it's actually fully compatible with PS4 stuff, lol.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Is there honestly an audience for this? I mean what percentage of Playstation fans (most of which are younger than 30 years old) still keep PS1 and PS2 discs? Unless we are talking about digital versions of these games, in which case it makes sense.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that PS5 could be use for PS Now makes it something that they have to do if they want to offer older games on the service, which they already do. So it makes, in fact, complete sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.