• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
little blips here and there from people hoping for it to be the case

but beyond the usual patents that don't amount to nothing we still didn't get that megaton insider hint/confirmation

if only

I will love to put Budokai 2, Puppeteer, Ape Escape Pumped and Primed and Playstation All-Stars among other into my PS5

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just being able to bulk out the library of a subscription service with PS1/2/3/4 games would be a significant advantage for Sony. Look at NES/SNES games on the Switch Online service and oXbox/360 games on Game Pass/Games With Gold.

You're right. They could expand their digital library hugely, didn't think about that.

I had physical backwards compatibility in mind, mostly. Because I sincerely doubt that people are going to be digging up their PS1 collection (in the remote chance they still have one) and play these games on a PS5. That's going to be kind of a niche thing.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Would be smart - they need to embrace the whole PS History and its eco-system for the upcoming generation.
MS will probably go nuts with Scarlet and their services.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
If I can use it as a PS2-4 machine with the ocassional PS5 game in there it could be an amazing deal, as I love looking for niche titles but never played much outside of Nintendo and PC.

But I sort of doubt it? They made tons and tons of remasters last gen, and I'm expecting more for the start of this one.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Didn't Patrick Klepick allud to this recently on Waypoint? something about the PS5 being about both the past and the future iirc.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The notion of playing all this physical media is downright silly for 95% of the userbase. PS4 backwards compat would have the largest impact on even whatever percentage of users care about backwards compat. The extra cost incurred for the rest would absolutely not be worthwhile.

Digital emulation, sure I'll buy that, but not going to happen on physical media.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
The fact that PS5 could be use for PS Now makes it something that they have to do if they want to offer older games on the service, which they already do. So it makes, in fact, complete sense.
This would solve the biggest issue PS Now has at the moment. Downloadable games from all gens would be so awesome. Native res and no input lag!

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Natively play playstation 3 games? So there will be cell functionality added on ps5 by default or something?
Including PS3 makes this very doubtful but hey i hope it happens. Add some emulated PSP and Vita functionality while youre at it and make it the ultimate playstation already
Pc can play ps3 games via emulator, you don't need cell if the hardware is strong enough, it may not be 100% perfect, but hopefully good enough to play most game

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If this is packed into a premium version of the system or a drive you plug in to the system, that'd be fine by me. I really want good quality BC...

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I hope my ps1 classics I bought digitally will be available.

My vita is my ps machine. Playing my favorite games on the tv will also be nice.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
man i really hope it does, it would be an amazing system if it could play 5 different gens of games

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds too good to be true, but it's like my most wanted feature for the console.

How would PS2 games work though? I never had a BC PS3, but the Jak trilogy on PS4 PS2 emulation is so poor for example.

Oct 30, 2017
If true, I hope Sony can digitize tons of PS1 and 2 games to purchase on the store playable on PS5.

There's definitely some titles I'll pick up. Some PS3 games, too.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
We can't really be sure if this source is reliable at this time, so it's best to lock this one down.

Feel free to create a new one if more substantial info or rumors come up

Status
Not open for further replies.