• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Pokemon Switch Come Out This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 554 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 181 17.0%
  • Lol

Votes: 332 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it would be Gen 8 or a remake of a previous gen?

I know Joe knows more then I do, but I recall him saying the Gens are planned accordingly with the Anime? I could be misremembering.

I'm thinking it might be a remake as a pure uneducated guess.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
God I hope they're not rushing this game to market. Polish that crap and make sure it's not a disappointment for the first ever mainline console Pokemon game and first ever HD Pokemon
It will kinda be disappointing if it's Gen 8, but looks like Gen 7 upresed. Hoping for the game to encourage off path exploration, because the 3DS games felt like walking in tight corridors.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I wouldn't have expected that. I guess they are trying to get it out the door as fast as possible then, either late this year or early next.

Because of that, I don't think anyone should expect much more than a Sun/Moon-style game in HD. A Pokémon game that takes full advantage of modern console hardware would be great, but I'm not quite sure they could put one out in such a short amount of time after their last game.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I wonder if it would be Gen 8 or a remake of a previous gen?

I know Joe knows more then I do, but I recall him saying the Gens are planned accordingly with the Anime? I could be misremembering.

I'm thinking it might be a remake as a pure uneducated guess.

Last I saw, he seemed really confident it would be 2019, with him betting on Holiday 2019 for the release. But he made it clear that was his speculation and not any inside info.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Where's the evidence that this is for the upcoming RPG and not a spinoff title?

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Yeah, I'm guessing this isn't going to be much more ambitious than the 3DS games, it'll probably just going to have the graphics turned up a bit, and higher resolution obv.

A bit of a missed opportunity, I'd love to see Pokémon get a bold reinvention, much like Zelda and Mario got, but I'm sure it'll do well even if it's just a small step up from previous games.

that will never happen unless the series has a mainline game do badly like the weaker Mario and Zelda entries.

stuff like BotW and SMO exist because games like SM3DW and Skyward Sword had a noticeable drop from previous entries. if they sold as well as their predecessors, they wouldn't have reinvented the formulas (don't need to fix what isn't broken)

so far, at most we'll just get some progression tweaks such as how the Captain/Kahuna system was basically Gym leaders with a new spin.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting a new Pokemon so early makes me skeptical that GF would do anything disruptive for their first title on Switch. Seems like more of the same.

When was there ever any hope of that to begin with lol? GF has kept the basics the same for every game, they aren't going to start doing something 'disruptive' now

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't unrealistic, but the tight turnaround from Sun/Moon & Ultra S/M makes me think this will be a smaller progression from those games than I would have liked for the first Switch entry.

Still means a good/great game is coming our way sooner rather than later, though, so I'm not going to look a gift-horse in the mouth.

Two different teams tho.

The veteran team worked on the Switch title, probably since H1 2016 meanwhile the younger devs worked on US/UM.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User was warned for attacking/insulting another user
I

Joe is going by previous releases and his own ego so hardly a reliable source. Nintendo seems like they really want a 2018 date, they wouldn't be advertising it if it weren't the case, the "2019" is only to cover their asses if they can't get to it. But looking at evidence of the anime and previous releases says nothing to what Nintendo may want unless you actually work for Game Freak or Nintendo to know what's going on or have real insider sources, Joe has been wrong plenty of times in the past, he just gloats about the ones he gets right but a 50/50 really means nothing.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
To me Pokémon games have always been on par with many home console games (from hardware with similar capabilities) in terms of scope and content. Sun and Moon would not feel out of place as GameCube games.

I think that's part of the "problem". Considering the hardware and what they've been able to do with it, Pokemon Sun and Moon would have been pretty amazing Gamecube Games (ignoring the scope of the maps being a bit lacking maybe?). The problem is that it gets compared to it's contemporaries of the current year that are pushing other boundaries. Sure, if you ask what other franchise is a competitive JRPG with hundreds of monsters to raise and online gameplay, people will twiddle their thumbs and whistle innocently. If ask about story, graphics, world design, and overall presentation, people are eager to list out all the games they feel make Pokemon seem dated in comparison. That's no fault of Game Freak really, it's just that by virtue of being handheld bound some parts of what they're trying to accomplish are going to behind.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
So...this is not going to be ambitious at all, is it? I know they don't need to since Pokemon sells a ton anyway, but it's still disappointing.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Don't expect more than a halfstep imo.
simply not enough time, even with HD models already made since XY(?)

Nov 3, 2017
I said this in the other thread and I'll say it again: If Sun and Moon were released in 2016 after starting development directly after ORAS, then why can't Pokemon Switch release in 2018 assuming development started immediately after SuMo? I am firmly in camp 2018.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this does make it this year then it's gonna be a big feast with Kingdom Hearts, Red Dead and Pokemon for the second half of the year.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
If this listing is for Game Freak's first Gen VIII Pokemon game, then they're really rushing to get it out this year.

A 2 year development cycle since Sun/Moon's completion really doesn't seem like enough time for their first HD RPG project.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
6 months is a long localization phase for something people are worried may only be a slight overhaul from Sun and Moon.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
When was there ever any hope of that to begin with lol? GF has kept the basics the same for every game, they aren't going to start doing something 'disruptive' now

there was rumour about it, that GF consider doing something different after seeing the success of BotW. A man can dream.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's part of the "problem". Considering the hardware and what they've been able to do with it, Pokemon Sun and Moon would have been pretty amazing Gamecube Games (ignoring the scope of the maps being a bit lacking maybe?). The problem is that it gets compared to it's contemporaries of the current year that are pushing other boundaries. Sure, if you ask what other franchise is a competitive JRPG with hundreds of monsters to raise and online gameplay, people will twiddle their thumbs and whistle innocently. If ask about story, graphics, world design, and overall presentation, people are eager to list out all the games they feel make Pokemon seem dated in comparison. That's no fault of Game Freak really, it's just that by virtue of being handheld bound some parts of what they're trying to accomplish are going to behind.
That is indeed part of the problem, but comparing 3DS games to PS3/XB360/WiiU/Switch games isn't fair. There's a lot of negativity coming from this fact alone and it's kinda weird considering we haven't even seen anything yet.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the evidence that this is for the upcoming RPG and not a spinoff title?
That is certainly possible as well I think most of us are assuming its the RPG because Nintendo announced an RPG and said it was 2018. Personally I don't think Nintendo can actually keep up the crazy release schedule they've had with the Switch and with nothing getting pushed back at all. The only way this makes sense to me is if US/UM was done by a small team and this new game has been in full development for at least 2 years. It's possible and at this point even if it sounds crazy that certainly seems to be what Nintendo is nailing as of late, no one thought Xenoblade 2 was coming out last year and they managed to get that out while revealing that the game had been in development for quite awhile something I think most of us didn't think was the case before it actually released and if that was the case for Xenoblade I'm hoping its the case with Nintendo.

Could always still end up being Pokemon Stars or a remake or something using the same engine for the 3DS just upressed something that would take a lot of the work out so it would be possible that we get another game in such a short amount of time. Thats of course assuming it isn't a spin off like a new Mystery Dungeon or something.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
This is actually one of my most anticipated reveals. Only because I expect it to look and play like shit.

It will be interesting.

Is localization usually done later in development?
Well I think it depends, if they are aiming for a worldwide release, then localization should happen along with development. Isn't that what happened with Monster Hunter World just recently?

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
They should really take 2018 off and wait until 2019 this time. I hope this is for some other Pokémon spin off.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I think a big indication is that in the job posting it mentions:

game strategy guide, video game web site etc.

I think only the core series has strategy guides done in collaboration with TPCi.
That's a very interesting point. Will be interesting to watch but from what I've heard 2018 still isn't locked for a core installment.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, what can we legitimately expect?

A reuse of the Sun&Moon engine in HD?
Reusing the SM engine was always on the cards, unless they're using a third party engine, there isnt enough time to rebuild an engine again (they did for SM). It's a matter of how far they can push this engine and what features it has

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, such short turn around time does not boost confidence at all. See you later Game Freak.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I said this in the other thread and I'll say it again: If Sun and Moon were released in 2016 after starting development directly after ORAS, then why can't Pokemon Switch release in 2018 assuming development started immediately after SuMo? I am firmly in camp 2018.

Why would you assume the gen 8 games started development after SM but not assume that SM started development after XY?

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Cool news. Maybe we will get an early access release in 2018, similar to Xenoblade 2 last year, with continued patches in 2019.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
6 months is a long localization phase for something people are worried may only be a slight overhaul from Sun and Moon.

even if it reuses SM/s engine and is barely an upgrade, they'll have brand new scripts and stuff for whatever story they're making. also, someone has to translate the new Pokemon's pokedex entries and many new entries for old pokes (they don't lift all entries from previous gens). add in 6-7 languages since they're probably doing a worldwide release again and it adds up.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Getting a new Pokemon so early makes me skeptical that GF would do anything disruptive for their first title on Switch. Seems like more of the same.
It is more of the same. They've publicly said that people expecting a Breath of the Wild style reimagining will be disappointed. The "disruptive" rumor was nothing.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Two different teams tho.

The veteran team worked on the Switch title, probably since H1 2016 meanwhile the younger devs worked on US/UM.
I not saying there will be no advancement from S/M. I just think that with a lot of effort being required due to the change of platform, I can't see the game design itself being 'revolutionary' so much as 'evolutionary' for a 2018 Switch iteration.

As ever, would be delighted to be wrong and get a mainline Pokemon game built ground up in the BOTW engine, or something.

EDIT: See post above.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If this listing is for Game Freak's first Gen VIII Pokemon game, then they're really rushing to get it out this year.

A 2 year development cycle since Sun/Moon's completion really doesn't seem like enough time for their first HD RPG project.
Development would have probably started well before Sun and Moon were released.

Status
Not open for further replies.