• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Pokemon Switch Come Out This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 554 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 181 17.0%
  • Lol

Votes: 332 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy for a second that DP remakes will be the first Switch Pokemon games. But I do agree that it feels like they're promoting gen IV a lot recently. Pokken getting 3 extra Sinnoh Pokemon always stuck out to me, Cynthia is back after her absence in gen VI, and didn't one of the characters in I Choose You have a Piplup? Feels like a lot of Sinnoh nostalgia is ramping up even though we're at least a couple years away from the likely remake.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
While correct, Sinnoh is not just any old region. DP, and to an extent Platinum, were made in the mindset of them being the ultimate titles, a culmination of the previous three gens before moving on to something entirely new. Its a weird case, as its not the last game before a reboot, and definitely not the last game in the series, but its definitely the closing chapter of one book before a new one started. Black/White was indeed a turning point, and outside of Hoenn Remakes, its all been situated outside of PokeJapan. Its the same thing, and more so than back then, once Sinnoh remakes happen, beyond(unlikely) sequels or god forbid Re-Remakes, the era of PokeJapan is full dealt with. From the next generation on, its all going to be Unova and beyond. I am not saying this out of nostalgia or anything, just that its clear that there is a line between Gen 4 and Gen 5, so once a remake does happen, its not going to be treated as lightly as previous ones.

I didnt know DP was hyped like that, I skipped that gen since I didnt have a DS at the time (same with S/M since my 3DS analog died).
Now I'm even more interested if the new game is a D/P Remake, in fact, I'd love if they do something similar to D/P giving evolutions to older Pokemon.
They could use a D/P remake to make: Sinnoh forms, Mega evolutions and Zmoves. That way they would shake-up the metagame, without the need to design a whole new gen.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
DP remakes will happen eventually but they're obviously not going to be the first Switch games.

We're getting Gen 8 first to kick off a new console with.

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Good timing too. My nostalgia for Gen 4 has been strong lately. I don't see DP remakes before Gen 8, but maybe I'll play through Pearl or Platinum in the near future til then.

And as much as I love ORAS, hopefully the DP remakes get treated better. Add the Platinum changes (snow, story (I'll settle for a Delta episode situation), bigger regional dex, able to get more new Pokemon before postgame, etc.). Crossing my fingers the framerate is at bare minimum locked 30fps at all times, and isn't as slow paced as the originals.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I didnt know DP was hyped like that, I skipped that gen since I didnt have a DS at the time (same with S/M since my 3DS analog died).
Now I'm even more interested if the new game is a D/P Remake, in fact, I'd love if they do something similar to D/P giving evolutions to older Pokemon.
They could use a D/P remake to make: Sinnoh forms, Mega evolutions and Zmoves. That way they would shake-up the metagame, without the need to design a whole new gen.
It wasn't hyped like that as much as discussed that way through interviews. We learned it I think after Black/White was released, I am not entirely sure, it has been years since I read the article. But yeah, Gamefreak treats Gen 4 and Gen 5 as an End of one era and the beginning of another.
While typing out this post, I realized its the Iwata Asks for Black/White that mentions it. Specfically:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/pokemon-black-white/0/3
Read the entire thing though, its quite interesting. Basically, they knew DP was going to be the Grand Finale. They didn't know or expect another Gen on the DS, so BW was a bit more drastic because of that, but Masuda definitely knew that after Gen 4, they were going to branch out to other places in the world.
So yeah, Gen 4 is quite not the same when it comes to other generations and remakes, because it has some significant weight, its comparable to gen 2.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
What is interesting in this is the fact that they use the TCG for Sinnoh. Marketing? Sure. But the TCG for a region highlight? Hmmm
That's because the current set focuses on Sinnoh. Nothing more, nothing less. You are being too paranoid.

Specially when it's already confirmed that the next set will focus on Kalos.

I'm hoping to see a similar amount of "Kalos remake confirmed" posts!

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That's because the current set focuses on Sinnoh. Nothing more, nothing less. You are being too paranoid.

Specially when it's already confirmed that the next set will focus on Kalos.

I'm hoping to see a similar amount of "Kalos remake confirmed" posts!
I said it in the same post, they have a specific countdown that focuses on the TCG for that very purpose. It just feels off to do that twice, especially for a part that is to highlight the adventures had in other regions is all.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People say there's no way they would start with a D/P remake on a new console. Why is that?, I can see pros and cons.

-Pros:
-Faster development.
-Easier to market the evolution in graphics of the new console.
-Less manpower needed (No new story, no new pokemon, mostly the same layouts/trainers) so the other part of the team could be preparing gen 8 for the next year.

Cons:
-Remakes sell less than new gens, so they'll atract less people to the platform.
-Not a con, but, they said their A-team is working on the switch game, and that wouldnt make sense with a remake.
This wouldn't be faster as they'd be making new assets from the ground up. Layouts wouldn't be the same either because GF would be making this in a different medium all together. The fidelity of the environmental assets alone would mean the game would take more manpower than SM.

The only way this could be made faster is if they reused SM's assets. And at that point, they might as well also put it on the 3DS

k.redd

Nov 27, 2017
I can see it being their big Holiday 2018 title, though I believe 2019 is more realistic. Regardless I hope this drastic jump in tech (for the Pokemon series, at least) really lets them increase the scope of the title. Wasn't a fan of S/M, but I really enjoyed X/Y when it came out.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I just assumed it was real given the RTs, goddamn, sorry.

Retweets mean nothing, the fact that it said "JAP" in the twitter handle and it's the only tweet that account has should have given it away that it's fake. It only takes a second or two to do some research.

Anyway I reported it as I am sick of seeing fake twitter accounts fooling people, people who do that crap are just pathetic.

Sinnoh confirmed meme is about to go full force. This reminds me of everyone that was sure gen 3 remakes were coming right BW2.

Funny you say that but;

s01.jpg

Note how the Sinnoh games are mysteriously absent in the game line up, but yet gen 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 are all there. Granted it could mean nothing as Crystal, Emerald, the Kanto remake and Black/White 2 are also absent as well.

Cynthia is constantly promoted by Gamefreak now as the defacto Champion of the series, due to her popularity. She's basically Gamefreaks "Samus" of Pokemon now.

Well naturally, she was the series first female champion and had a challenging team.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
You say that, but considering its the main pair of that generation or its remake, I definitely see it as a sign that Sinnoh remakes will happen. Its not an if but a when. Also note that the GSC starters are there despite GSC virtual console note being announced yet.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the game being in a "old region" if it gives them time to flesh out the content of the game (especially postgame).

HG/SS had so much to do, it was an incredible game. I also liked the whole Delta Episode in ORAS, it was an interesting take on the whole Space lore that already intrigued me in R/S/E. The finale is climatic too (but a little frustrating). No other 3DS game had much to offer after the Elite 4.

Basically use an old region as a template, have a new take on it and change it deeply,
add a lot of content/lore to give life to the world, have a strong postgame to keep the players engaged after the mainstory.

Oct 26, 2017
Kanto
Like 10 new Pokemon
New storyline and characters but lots of callbacks to Red/Blue (maybe Misty and Brock in the Elite 4 or something? IDK)
Maybe some new mechanics

... Not Gen 8 but not exactly FireFireRed either.

My guess.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
New region based on some country/region in the world
like 80-100 new pokemon
New storyline and characetrs, but lots of callbacks to red/blue
Some new mechanics

Gen 8

My guess

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
You know, we discuss gen 8 a whole lot. But we never discusses the where. I personally think that for a new region that can fit both the new and the old, they could easily make a Greece inspired region:
-Trials can be replaced by feats, based very loosely on the feats of Hercules.
-Can be done alongside gyms, perhaps as a proof of acceptance for the gym leader or otherwise.
-Both tropical and mountainous. Greece actually has a lot of microclimates, so something more varies won't be too far off.
- Lots of legends and myths to draw from.
- Animal based traversal is kinda still a big thing, so gogoat can come back, maybe a new dolphin for surf, etc.
-Pokemon actually has taken a lot from Greece, at least two movies draw inspiration from it, and Gamefreak does have a soft spot for it.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I know people think there won't be Sinnoh remakes as the next games because of the anime story in Alola wrapping up, but what if they do another Battle Frontier saga? Of course, that would require a Battle Frontier to be present in the remakes, and we all know how well that request has gone over at GameFreak.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I know people think there won't be Sinnoh remakes as the next games because of the anime story in Alola wrapping up, but what if they do another Battle Frontier saga? Of course, that would require a Battle Frontier to be present in the remakes, and we all know how well that request has gone over at GameFreak.
We do expect Sinnoh remakes to happen, just not until Gen 8's first games come out. Of course, the anime could get a filler arc if we don't get Gen 8 this year, but I'm not sure when they'd announce that.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding another Kanto game, it wouldn't even need to be the same Kanto region from R/B/Y and G/S/C. It could also be the parallel Kanto mentioned in US/UM where Team Rocket has succeeded. Not that I think we'll be getting another remake or Kanto game.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll tske red and blue 2 if it includes johto

It's Red/Blue 2 for sure. Makes so much sense. Will sell 10MM almost instant. Probably 50MM lifetime.

*sigh* Folks Red and Blue 2 has already been done way back in 1999.

pokemongoldandoslver.jpg

You want "Red and Blue 2"? Go and play those or its remake and stop bringing up the idea of Red and Blue 2 happening, Kanto story is done and dusted.

Regarding another Kanto game, it wouldn't even need to be the same Kanto region from R/B/Y and G/S/C. It could also be the parallel Kanto mentioned in US/UM where Team Rocket has succeeded. Not that I think we'll be getting another remake or Kanto game.

Yeah, I could see Game Freak doing something like that given how they kinda did that with the Hoenn remake.

Oct 25, 2017
So Red 2 and Blue 2?
I had a thought like this the other day because I finally just finished Sun and got reminded of all the rumors that were previously flying because of all the Kanto references near the end game. I figure it was probably just 20th anniversary callbacks but it still got me thinking. That 'I Choose You' movie retconned Kanto to include pokemon from future generations and 'Origins' gave Charizard his mega form. Made me wonder if they might want to do the same in the games.

I'd go in a little harder with the idea, though. Treat it as a proper new gen, don't do anything exactly 1:1.

• ~70 new pokemon. Beginning half of the game features Kanto classics in higher percentages, new pokemon become more frequent as the player progresses, and pokemon from other gens are littered throughout. A couple lines of dialogue from a professor could handwave it away.
  • Total reimagining of the world map. Not 1:1, less of a port and more as if Kanto were being designed fresh today. Follows the same basic overall region layout, but the towns and the routes between them are redesigned, with new towns, detours and points of interest added across the region. You wouldn't know your way around as well as you think you do. (For instance, Pallet "Town" would no longer be a small lot with only two houses on it, Route 2 might take you somewhere you didn't expect, and Mt Moon is a whole new experience)
  • A notable passage of time, blocking off some expected routes, opening new ones, and generally changing up your expectations all over the place.
  • New story and new events across the game's locations, mostly trying to avoid repeating gen1 except when making intentional callbacks.
  • Many new characters, new gym leaders across the board, maybe even switching up some of the expected typing.
  • New expanded post-game events, like taking the SS Anne to (a small portion of) Alola for some restricted access activity.
  • Full reorchestrated interpretations of original rby music along with a few new tracks.
  • All the new QOL improvements and new mechanics from current-gen.
  • Some key returning characters from rby with direct involvement in the story. Like meeting Blue's dad or mom (Oak's kid) as the new Pkmn Prof, finding the retired Grampa Oak in another town to receive a key item, and meeting up with Red/Blue throughout the course of the story.
6mK70rf.png

Id be way into a R2/B2 if they treated it like that. It'd probably convince some lapsed fans to come back, too (the same way the Switch console itself has been doing). I don't expect it to happen, though. I expect a new region as usual. I just got thinking about it because Sun and I Choose You are both fresh in my mind.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I had a thought like this the other day because I finally just finished Sun and got reminded of all the rumors that were previously flying because of all the Kanto references near the end game. I figure it was probably just 20th anniversary callbacks but it still got me thinking. That 'I Choose You' movie retconned Kanto to include pokemon from future generations and 'Origins' gave Charizard his mega form. Made me wonder if they might want to do the same in the games.

I'd go in a little harder with the idea, though. Treat it as a proper new gen, don't do anything exactly 1:1.

• ~70 new pokemon. Beginning half of the game features Kanto classics in higher percentages, new pokemon become more frequent as the player progresses, and pokemon from other gens are littered throughout. A couple lines of dialogue from a professor could handwave it away.
  • Total reimagining of the world map. Not 1:1, less of a port and more as if Kanto were being designed fresh today. Follows the same basic overall region layout, but the towns and the routes between them are redesigned, with new towns, detours and points of interest added across the region. You wouldn't know your way around as well as you think you do. (For instance, Pallet "Town" would no longer be a small lot with only two houses on it, Route 2 might take you somewhere you didn't expect, and Mt Moon is a whole new experience)
  • A Large passage of time, blocking off some expected routes, opening new ones, and generally changing up your expectations all over the place.
  • New story and new events across the game's locations, mostly trying to avoid repeating gen1 except when making intentional callbacks.
  • Primarily new characters, new gym leaders across the board, maybe even switching up some of the expected typing. Some key returning characters involved in the story. (Like meeting Oak's son/Blue's dad as the new Pkmn Prof, or finding the retired Grampa Oak in another town to receive a key item, and teaming up with Blue at some point)
  • New expanded post-game events, like taking the SS Anne to (a small portion of) Alola for some restricted access activity.
  • All the new QOL improvements and new mechanics from current-gen.
Id be way into a R2/B2 if they treated it like that. I don't expect it to happen, though. I expect them to do the same thing they do every new gen.
That would be very cool

Oct 26, 2017
Red/Blue 2 would probably allow Game Freak to dial up a bunch of hype even if the graphics aren't great and even if there are almost no new Pokemon.

It seems like the easiest way to make an anticipated Pokemon game while having a super short development cycle.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'd rather they just reimagine Red and Blue. Take the great characters and setting from the games and do more with it on a grander scale.

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, and I was talking about gen 8 anyway because gen 8 is what is going to happen.

Gen 8 being made in two years seems hard.

And some of the... interesting discussion from some posters about how the next game doesn't have to have new Pokemon and it wouldn't make sense for the next game to have new Pokemon and "what is a new Gen?" make me feel like a pseudo sequel with all of the Sun and Moon Pokemon is most likely.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Gen 8 being made in two years seems hard.

And some of the... interesting discussion from some posters about how the next game doesn't have to have new Pokemon and it wouldn't make sense for the next game to have new Pokemon and "what is a new Gen?" make me feel like a pseudo sequel with all of the Sun and Moon Pokemon is most likely.
I literally don't get how it wouldn't make sense for the next game to have new pokemon when that has been the main seling point every gen and what makes them all the money with the anime, PTC, spinoffs, merch, etc.

Oct 26, 2017
I literally don't get how it wouldn't make sense for the next game to have new pokemon when that has been the main seling point every gen and what makes them all the money with the anime, PTC, spinoffs, merch, etc.

Some people who seem to maybe know things have said that it's hard promotionally because of the recent amount of Pokemon.

Which seems odd to me too, but...

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
*sigh* Folks Red and Blue 2 has already been done way back in 1999.

pokemongoldandoslver.jpg

You want "Red and Blue 2"? Go and play those or its remake and stop bringing up the idea of Red and Blue 2 happening, Kanto story is done and dusted.

Yeah, I could see Game Freak doing something like that given how they kinda did that with the Hoenn remake.
That's very snarky of you. The name Red/Blue holds so much from a value perspective. What I want dosent matter. What Nintendo wants is to sell Switches. The reason GO was successful was because it was the OG150.

If you want to try and tell me Pokemon in a completely new land with unrecognized names would generate more new Switch sales then Red/Blue2, please convince me.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Are the characters or setting of gen 1 considered "great" outside of nostalgia?

Well to you? Clearly not, just by the way you wrote that post lol. But to most people? Hell yes, it goes way beyond nostalgia. The characters and setting have tons of potential being reimagined for a console Pokemon game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That's very snarky of you. The name Red/Blue holds so much from a value perspective. What I want dosent matter. What Nintendo wants is to sell Switches. The reason GO was successful was because it was the OG150.

If you want to try and tell me Pokemon in a completely new land with unrecognized names would generate more new Switch sales then Red/Blue2, please convince me.
Are all or most of those Go players going to spend $400 on a switch and pokemon? The reason Go was successful was because it was a free app with the pokemon name that caught on fire at the perfect time. Every new gen sells $15 million+, I'm not convinced gen 1 remakes would sell more or that much more at all, and the offset of all the new pokemon related merch, anime, etc makes the difference.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red/Blue 2 would probably allow Game Freak to dial up a bunch of hype even if the graphics aren't great and even if there are almost no new Pokemon.

It seems like the easiest way to make an anticipated Pokemon game while having a super short development cycle.

I just explained that Game Freak already did a Red and Blue 2 and I don't understand why people can't wrap their head around that fact and just accept it.

Would ResetEra or the games media get as excited about Shiny Diamond/Beautiful Pearl as Red/Blue 2?

You forget how the Pokémon fanbase went crazy over a announcement for the Hoenn remake which was nothing more than the logos.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
People saying Gold/Silver are Red 2/Blue 2 are correct.

However, we live in an era of video games where Battlefield 1 came after Battlefield 4. Yakuza 0 came after Yakuza 5. So would GameFreak, if they decided to go back to Kanto, name the games Red 2/Blue 2? Absolutely.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Whenever I think of a Decades Later Kanto, the first thing that pops up in my head is them expanding to the north a bit and adding some new routes and towns. Beyond that, I have said this many times before, the one thing I can see happening but no one really expects is Celadon/Saffron/Vermillion and the two routes between them becoming one huge Metropolis City. Kanto can have a lot done to it when it comes to modernizing the region, and expanding its borders while having the old places grow(I can see Pallet Town become Pallet City for example) or actually merge together works really well into the original themes of industrialization. Ideally for me though, they focus entirely on the original regions with no expansions, and make Kanto/Johto into one huge region.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
If generation 8 comes out in 2018 that will be the quickest a new generation releases. A remake on the other hand has released a year a part, or even within the same year as the new generation. With that said for both gen 5 and gen 6 they did not follow the same format as the previous 4. I dont think you can rule anything out. I will hope for generation 8, but Im ok with a remake, or sequel as well.

Gen 1

Pokemon Red/Blue - 1996
Pokemon Yellow - 1998

Gen 2

Pokemon Gold/Silver - 1999
Pokemon Crystal - 2000

Gen 3

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire - 2002
Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green - 2004
Pokemon Emerald - 2004

Gen 4

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - 2006
Pokemon Platinum - 2008
Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver -2009

Gen 5

Pokemon Black/White - 2010
Pokemon Black 2/White 2 - 2012

Gen 6

Pokemon X/Y - 2013
Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - 2014

Gen 7

Pokemon Sun/Moon - 2016
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon - 2017

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Are all or most of those Go players going to spend $400 on a switch and pokemon? The reason Go was successful was because it was a free app with the pokemon name that caught on fire at the perfect time. Every new gen sells $15 million+, I'm not convinced gen 1 remakes would sell more or that much more at all, and the offset of all the new pokemon related merch, anime, etc makes the difference.
I never said remakes.

No all or most won't buy a switch lol. I'm saying the conversion rate would be greater for a R/B2 then new Gen 8 branding. Many people who grew up with Gen 1 are now in their late 20s and early 30s. They know have reached good income levels to target. They also are having or may have young children to pander to.

Speaking of merch, a line of well constructed OG150 toys would sell gangbusters.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I never said remakes.

No all or most won't buy a switch lol. I'm saying the conversion rate would be greater for a R/B2 then new Gen 8 branding. Many people who grew up with Gen 1 are now in their late 20s and early 30s. They know have reached good income levels to target. They also are having or may have young children to pander to.

Speaking of merch, a line of well constructed OG150 toys would sell gangbusters.
You mean like the Gen 1 merch that they're already selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.