• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

PSVR without Parole correctly leaked before some details about the headset and Horizon Call of the Mountain. This is from their own sources, so obviously could be wrong.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I was kinda expecting this seeing how they still haven't committed to it coming out this year yet.

At least it's only a 3 month delay if you think about it.

Solitude

Nov 11, 2020
I'll remain hopeful for a release this year. It would be odd with the recent announcements if it was still a year away.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Based on supply chain folks, they're supposed to go into mass production next quarter and start shipping to Sony's warehouses by the end of it. So, 2023 would be really odd and a huge gap between the start of mass production and release; of course, it is entirely possible the entire production run was delayed with Q3 production leading to the Q1 2023 release. But, the Q2 production info just came out last week...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna be more doubtful about this one. The PSVR2 specs were leaked to them from folks who were part of Sony's VR dev event late last year. I know they said they heard this from multiple sources, but I'm still gonna remain skeptical.

Also the logic they're using of "very little info" on PSVR2 being revealed so far is highly flawed when you compare it against the PS5 reveal. PS5 had a logo shown at CES 2020 which mirrors the name reveal at CES 2022 for PSVR2, and PSVR2 even got a game and spec reveal too at that event. PSVR2 got its appearance revealed Feb 2022 whereas PS5 got its appearance revealed June 2020.

If anything PSVR2 is ahead of the PS5 in terms of info dumps. While Q1 2023 isn't a problem at all, the pacing they've kept so far makes me think 2022 is still the release year.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Makes sense, they'll probably start producing MUCH sooner than that to build enough stock for launch. I wouldn't be surprised it they planned on a 2022 release, but supply chain issues had them adjust for a more substantial launch (and likely more time for launch software).

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What? No way!
Better drop in price by then and not cost the original price (500 or 600). By that time they could sell it at 450-550.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Why would a 3 month delay make something that might have cost 500-600 suddenly be 450?

Dunno, maybe being more affordable by then and maybe when launching by then it won't be the top of the line product and will have competition while by releasing it this year, it will securely grant them the title of highest end VR headset, so they can use the that pretext for justifiying the higher price.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, Quest 3 is going to be a known commodity then. I'm getting it but this one is going to be an uphill battle for Sony.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Dunno, maybe beinf more affordable by then and maybe when launching by then it won't be the top of the line product and will have competition while by releasing it this year, it will securely grant them the title of highest end VR headset, so they can use the that pretext for justifiying the higher price.
So if it launched at say, 600, would you expect it to get a price drop to 450 3 months later? That makes no sense

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So if it launched at say, 600, would you expect it to get a price drop to 450 3 months later? That makes no sense

Not that far, you didn't get me then. If it's 600, maybe 550 by then if 500 then maybe 450 (edited my original post to not cause misinterpretation), but knowing them, I expect nothing from them. The Disc vs Digital PS5 difference was 100 bucks eventhough a bluray player won't cost them more than 20 bucks but they just want to maximize profits knowing that many if not most would opt for disc versiosn where most of the profit go so yeah I don't expect any price drop even 10 bucks.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Mmmm. I guess waiting will be fine. This year is pretty heavy for games, anyhow.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What? No way!
Better drop in price by then and not cost the original price (500 or 600). By that time they could sell it at 450-550.

This is ridiculous 😂

Anyway. I hope it's wrong and we at least get it by the end of the year. Seems weird to reveal its appearance SO far from a release date.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This is ridiculous 😂

Anyway. I hope it's wrong and we at least get it by the end of the year. Seems weird to reveal its appearance SO far from a release date.
The PSVR hardware was revealed in march 2014 for an October 2016 reveal, it's not impossible. Obviously the situation is different, and I'd assume that even with a Q1 2023 date the headset was planned for this year and had to be delayed.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was anyone really expecting a release this year? It seemed pretty evident to me that it was not going to make this year. Honestly I'm even a little surprised that it might make Q1 2023 and not later.

Solitude

Nov 11, 2020
Was anyone really expecting a release this year? It seemed pretty evident to me that it was not going to make this year. Honestly I'm even a little surprised that it might make Q1 2023 and not later.
PSVR2 is ahead of PS5 in terms of information and hardware reveals, so it wasn't unreasonable to expect PSVR2 this year.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Late August/Early Sep sounds about right. Gonna take a wild guess that Ragnarok is probably going to be the last first party non-vr title for 2022. We'll probably get VR only/VR Hybrids for the rest of the year so fingers cross for Astro Bot.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Dissapointing if true.
There are other sources saying headsets were being manufactured and/or components sourced for a 2022 release so I still think it's this year.

Last edited:

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017

Yes, everyone except you, apparently. All signs have pointed to and still continue to point to 2022. This story is the sole outlier stating 2023, so it should be taken with a grain of salt until more reliable sources chime in.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking forward to this in 2022. Oh well.

If true, I'm ready in 2023.

Yes, everyone except you, apparently. All signs have pointed to and still continue to point to 2022. This story is the sole outlier stating 2023, so it should be taken with a grain of salt until more reliable sources chime in.
Exactly, lol.

Except for this thread, I dont know what pointed to it not being 2022...

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
Not that far, you didn't get me then. If it's 600, maybe 550 by then if 500 then maybe 450 (edited my original post to not cause misinterpretation), but knowing them, I expect nothing from them. The Disc vs Digital PS5 difference was 100 bucks eventhough a bluray player won't cost them more than 20 bucks but they just want to maximize profits knowing that many if not most would opt for disc versiosn where most of the profit go so yeah I don't expect any price drop even 10 bucks.
Dude, what are you talking about? the PS5 was sold at loss at launch. The break-even point was June 2021!
The Digital edition was sold at an even bigger loss since they can lock you to their store.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Based on?

They started talking about it early last year. And they're been giving regular updates on it.

Makes no sense for it come out later unless it got delayed.

... is this even a reliable channel?
They were the ones to originally leak the PSVR2 specs.

Still in this particular case, I'm leaning towards them being wrong.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
... is this even a reliable channel?
They were the first to disclose the PSVR2 specs, and they were right. They "leaked" Horizon's PSVR spin-off developed by Firesprite too, but honestly, it was an easy guess based on the job listings.
People reached that conclusion in Sony's OT.

They have connections with VR developers so I would say they are reliable, but I am not sure if they would be able to get information about the headset's release window.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This fuckin hurts man. PSVR1 came a bit late too, but it had a really solid launch lineup at least. Hope we get similar here

Just in time for Hitman 3 Year 3 tho

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Sony: take your sweet ass time on PSVR 2.

I love the original, but boy, wait until your PS5 supply meets demand so the install base is there and devs are incentivized to make some PSVR/PS5 proper games.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
This fuckin hurts man. PSVR1 came a bit late too, but it had a really solid launch lineup at least. Hope we get similar here
We will probably get a solid launch lineup. A lot of studios see the value of porting their games to PSVR2.
RE8, GT7, Horizon: Call of the Mountain, and potentially Astro Bot sequel would be a great launch lineup already.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Based on?

They started talking about it early last year. And they're been giving regular updates on it.

They were the first to disclose the PSVR2 specs, and they were right. They "leaked" Horizon's PSVR spin-off developed by Firesprite too, but honestly, it was an easy guess based on the job listings.

They have connections with VR developers so I would say they are reliable, but I am not sure if they would be able to get information about the headset's release window.

Ah, thanks. I hadn't heard of them before.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I was expecting Q4 given how much info we already have. Either way, day 1 for me. Seems like it will fix all my gripes with PSVR1.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
They really need to straighten out PS5 supply anyway...I've got more than enough games to play, patience is easy.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Thats pretty disappointing if so. Quite a lot of information to reveal about a headset more than a year before release.
Based on?

The first to report most of the PSVR2 specifications were UploadVR around 3 months earlier:
uploadvr.com

Exclusive: Next-Gen PlayStation VR Is 4K With Foveated Rendering And Vibration Feature

Sony’s next-generation VR headset for PlayStation 5 has significantly higher resolution, inside-out tracking, a vibration motor, and even foveated rendering, reliable sources tell UploadVR. We don’t yet know the product’s name, but multiple sources tell us Sony shared details with partners...
However the report from PSVR Without Parole got right that the panel is OLED and supports HDR as well as 110FoV. They've also claimed the focus on Hybrid games but we havent seen that pan out yet.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Just make it good, and prepare good launch and long-term support for it.

If they miss this holiday season, that leaves more funds to me to finally get a new GPU. RDNA3 and RTX40 are hinted for 2nd half of this year.