• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
If this end up being fake, it's really sad that nobody can tell because we all know it's going to be awful either way.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think if Detective Pikachu does well and this bombs then people will get the message that it's ok to be faithful to the source material?

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping they'd go with an origin where Sonic is partially raised by Robotnik who becomes evil due to a failed experiment.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
For those who are doubting, the film's writing team is actually pretty solid

It sounds atrocious as a Sonic adaptation, but for what it's worth the AMA guy seemed enthusiastic about the overall quality, albeit with the caveat that it's definitely more aimed at families with young kids than older viewers or Sonic fans.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It sounds atrocious as a Sonic adaptation, but for what it's worth the AMA guy seemed enthusiastic about the overall quality, albeit with the caveat that it's definitely more aimed at families with young kids than older viewers or Sonic fans.

In my eyes, Sonic stories have always been dumb and paper thin, and almost exclusively aimed at children, so it makes perfect sense. What deep Sonic plotlines were people expecting?

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that sounds so incredibly generic. But it'll sell. Kids will love it. Maybe we can expect some good jokes here and there.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why would he be called Robotnik?
Sega abandoned the name in favour of Eggman years and years ago.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
In my eyes, Sonic stories have always been dumb and paper thin, and almost exclusively aimed at children, so it makes perfect sense. What deep Sonic plotlines were people expecting?

Having any of the film be remotely related to the canon of the games would be a nice start. Ask any Sonic fan their ideal plot for a movie and "Sonic is an alien from space who teams up with a cop to fight a government scientist" is probably the last thing they would come up with.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
The basic sonic story was always sonic rescuing his animal friends from being robots and stopping eggman from building world destroying death planets. It's for kids but it was never a joke like the way Mario treats Bowser.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Having any of the film be remotely related to the canon of the games would be a nice start. Ask any Sonic fan their ideal plot for a movie and "Sonic is an alien from space who teams up with a cop to fight a government scientist" is probably the last thing they would come up with.

But........... like i said who cares about Sonic canon besides like 3000 nerds with Deviant Art accounts who will find a way to criticize minute details of the film's visual depiction no matter what

Nov 17, 2017
Honestly the whole magic rings thing really makes me think this is legit. It just seems like something Hollywood would see in the games and be like "Sonic collects rings and jumps through a big ring sometimes, so lets use that."

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I will watch this...one day. But I'll also be incredibly drunk. No way I'm watching this sober.

Nov 17, 2017
I'm pretty sure that isn't true.
Every modern sonic game I've seen has him referred to as Dr Eggman or just Eggman.
Robotnik is his real name. His grandfather in SA2 is Gerald Robotnik. Sonic and friends used Eggman as an insult but eventually Eggman came to like the name and just started owning it.

In SA1, he introduces himself as Robotnik (Sonic calls him Eggman during this scene):

sonic-story7.jpg

Hard to see here but it says "Robotnik Empire in purple letters during a scene in SA2:

hqdefault.jpg

In reality, Eggman was his original name in Japanese while Robotnik was the localized Western name. The story explanation was just to reconcile both so they're both canon. After the Adventure games, I don't think he ever calls himself Robotnik again.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It sounds just dumb enough to be real. Fucking Hollywood, I swear to god. Fucking SEGA, I swear to god.

I say this in every Sonic Movie thread but I hope to Christ Nintendo has significant creative control over Illumination's film.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
While I agree adapting the Adventure setting onwards would be pretty silly, the core themes of the first few games still resonate. It's basically nature vs. industry, something that kids movies have dealt with for years (though it's happened less often in recent years, I guess because a few too many critics said it was "preachy" or something)

Wouldn't be that hard to adapt, say, the setting and aesthetics of Sonic CD with a simple story about Eggman trying to take over nature for evil means while Metal Sonic is the main punching bag in fight scenes. Just gotta give Amy some more agency (she and Sonic could team up) and it'd be great.

Ultimately though the problem was attempting live action meets CG Sonic in the first place... Just like how the CG Smurfs movie kinda ignored the original themes of that show. Pure animation would be the way to go for Sonic, especially in the wake of Spider-Verse where they could feel comfortable going all-in with the Mania Adventures aesthetic, but oh well.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Wait Jim Carrey is Robotnik?!

Sonic going through trash seems like a great way to honour the character. It weird they would go that grim lol. This is going to be terrible but probably terrible in a good way, like Cage's Wicker Man or somesuch.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This movie might end up being the most amazing trainwreck. I can't wait to watch it on Netflix down the line, because I am certainly not going to pay money to see it.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope all of this is real just because the Robotnik stuff is FASCINATING

They even called him Robotnik the whole time. Eggman-deniers are now obligated to defend this movie, that's the law.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would say that Eggman denialists are the Flat Earthers of the Sonic fandom, but lets be real there's probably a shit load of actual, vocal Flat Earthers in the Sonic fandom...

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
It's was clear from day one that the people involved did not have a fucking clue about the Sonic series nor did they even bother do the research. Sega also take part of the blame for not taking good care of their IP, seriously this is your mascot, and not ensuring proper quality control in place.

The movie will bomb and will be forgotten.
Even if they had, how in the world do you turn such an oddball mythos into a story suitable for movie release?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If he is really called robotnik I hope Sega changes it back too. Fuck eggman don't care if that's the Japanese name, it sucks.