• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope we get a movie based off the comics one day, the shit is prime material for a decent action-adventure kids movie.

Vexingsruzz

Oct 29, 2017
Everything I hear about this movie is turning it into a larger dumpster fire than I thought possible. I am going to watch it in theaters because of shear morbid curiosity and I want to see just what a sequel would entail if this movie is profitable.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE: Baby Sonic and the other toy listings have been mysteriously removed from the Toy Wiz site. Looks like someone screwed up.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
It will be a beautiful trainwreck of a movie. I love it just for the sake of existing.

dubsky

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
That's unfortunate that no friends show up, solely because I really want to see how they would fuck up their designs as well.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Turn it into a sports movie, Sonic trying to win the big race. Like Sonic R meets Fast and Furious
Sonic R had it's own sort of problems. Sonic has been shown to be WAY faster than any of the other competitors even with vehicles being a factor.

Sonic just isn't a good candidate for a live action movie, period. It's almost a guarantee fail.
I know there are sonic comics and the old Sonic cartoon was pretty cool as a kid so this shows me a cartoon sonic movie could work.

Oct 29, 2017
Robotnik not looking like Robotnik until the very end reminds me: you know how in the original Street Fighter movie, they spend the whole movie slowly justifying cockamamie reasons for the characters to change into their appearance in the game? Such that the characters aren't all actually dressed and looking as they are in the games until THE FINAL SHOT OF THE MOVIE? Do you remember how unsatisfying that felt? Video game movie screenwriters, don't do this.

Nov 23, 2017
This movie is going to bomb and I legitimately wish that everyone involved with greenlighting this loses their jobs.
Everything I hear about this movie is turning it into a larger dumpster fire than I thought possible. I am going to watch it in theaters because of shear morbid curiosity and I want to see just what a sequel would entail if this movie is profitable.
Sounds terrible and probably will be terrible just like the games.
Not saying it will be good but I'm a little tired of the extreme how can I one up the next guy hyperbole surrounding the movie. Like, we get it, evil execs ruined your video game char, ok.

And sonic games are good mostly, what's with the drive by

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
There's very little chance I'll see this regardless, so the flossing, rings being teleporters, etc stuff doesn't bug me. What does, surprisingly, is that there's no chaos emeralds and/or Super Sonic. Seems an odd thing to leave out.

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And people thought Sonic Boom: The Game was bad.

There's very little chance I'll see this regardless, so the flossing, rings being teleporters, etc stuff doesn't bug me. What does, surprisingly, is that there's no chaos emeralds and/or Super Sonic. Seems an odd thing to leave out.

Teleporting rings? Okay. Super Sonic? Nah, that's too unrealistic.

Dec 31, 2017
Videogame movies can't be as hard to produce as these studios keep making it look.

Just treat the source material with the smallest bit of care like anything else.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Videogame movies can't be as hard to produce as these studios keep making it look.

Just treat the source material with the smallest bit of care like anything else.
Seriously. Why on earth has there still not been a legitimately good video game movie. Castlevania is the best video game adaptation imo, because it's clearly made by people who enjoy the source material. It does its own thing compared to the game in order to adapt it into a series, but it still feels like Castlevania, and has all sorts of nods to the games. I guess these movie studios think everything has to be live action?

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Not sure why everyone is assuming this AMA is the real deal. The script I have easily disproves it:

rtyXokw.jpg

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. Why on earth has there still not been a legitimately good video game movie. Castlevania is the best video game adaptation imo, because it's clearly made by people who enjoy the source material. It does its own thing compared to the game in order to adapt it into a series, but it still feels like Castlevania, and has all sorts of nods to the games. I guess these movie studios think everything has to be live action?

The people involved with making the big decisions on these movies just don't care about video games, that's the only possible explanation. They want to do their own thing and think they know better than the people who originally made it and the fans who enjoyed it. A speedy hedgehog who runs around checkerboard plains and fights a fat guy who turns animals into robots doesn't fit into what they know about doing live action / CGI cartoon animal films, so they just shove a square peg into a round hole instead of doing something that actually fits the IP like Detective Pikachu. Gotta have it set in the real world, gotta pair him up with an boring human everyman for some wacky contrast, gotta make him look realistic to the point of being creepy and unappealing, gotta have him do a popular dance to show that he's "hip" and "with it" kids!

Not sure why everyone is assuming this AMA is the real deal. The script I have easily disproves it:

rtyXokw.jpg

ok his first word got me

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
It's so bizarre that they would base the movie around such archaic lore. It's like if the Illumination Mario movie ended up being based off the "two Brooklyn plumbers who got sucked into a drain" backstory.
Funnily enough a movie starting like that but changing brooklin to new donk city would not only be perfectly fine with the "lore" of super mario odyssey. It could totally work.
But is miyamoto and not koizumi the one working with iluminations, so its probably never going to happen.

Even then, the brooklyn backstory has really never interfered with the games and was actually not a bad backstory (its plausible with how the mario bros are italoamerican plumbers, went through a pipe and got into the mushroom kingdom) Sonic is old backstory is a complete different story, and the adventures games and classic sonic dont help (and being two different characters and universes was the cheap solution to story of 2d and 3d making zero sense).

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so assuming this is real

How does this leave it open for a sequel? We have no Shitty Friends, Sonic is an alien who returns to his home planet, Robotnik has been cast off earth, wha? Did they have just absolutely no hope of getting to a sequel, or are they just that completely unimaginative?

Also how the fuck do you have a Sonic movie where he doesn't go Super Sonic at the end. It's like they ignored the last 30 years of literally any Sonic media outside of the first game, and even that is being generous.

Someone else suggested they should have made Sonic an experiment by Robotnik and he goes crazy. This is *absolutely* the route they should have gone. There's drama between Sonic and Robotnik because he's technically his father, but he's also gone insane and turned evil. Sonic and his Shitty Friends fight to make sure what happened to them never happens to any other animals. It also leaves the door wide open for Shadow in the sequel, and then when he turns good Robotnik decides he can't use living animals anymore because he can't fully control them so he makes Mecha Sonic in the third movie.

Just... just what the fuck you guys come on.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
doesn't sound awful. hopefully Jim Carey goes full psycho. nothing could be worse than the story/cinematics from actual Sonic games.

Dec 31, 2017
And even then there are ways to do it.

Detective Pikachu looks great.

It's the Pokemon world "made real", it's not literally Pokemon in our reality.

And that movie had a lot working against it with me. I'm not a huge Reynolds fan. Jurassic World made me HATE it's main character. And it seemed dumb to make this your first story.

But I'll be Goddamned if both previews haven't made me day one.

Technically this could win me over with a trailer. But...

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough a movie starting like that but changing brooklin to new donk city would not only be perfectly fine with the "lore" of super mario odyssey. It could totally work.
But is miyamoto and not koizumi the one working with iluminations, so its probably never going to happen.

Even then, the brooklyn backstory has really never interfered with the games and was actually not a bad backstory (its plausible with how the mario bros are italoamerican plumbers, went through a pipe and got into the mushroom kingdom) Sonic is old backstory is a complete different story, and the adventures games and classic sonic dont help (and being two different characters and universes was the cheap solution to story of 2d and 3d making zero sense).

The Brooklyn backstory was basically smashed by Yoshi's Island's plot. Can't be plumbers from New York if the stork dropped them off directly to their parents in the Mushroom Kingdom. I agree that Mario being raised in New Donk City would be a great backstory though.

Also, Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic originally made perfect sense until they randomly decided that Classic Sonic is actually from another dimension as of Forces instead of simply being a younger Sonic as claimed in Generations.

Ok so assuming this is real

How does this leave it open for a sequel? We have no Shitty Friends, Sonic is an alien who returns to his home planet, Robotnik has been cast off earth, wha? Did they have just absolutely no hope of getting to a sequel, or are they just that completely unimaginative?

Also how the fuck do you have a Sonic movie where he doesn't go Super Sonic at the end. It's like they ignored the last 30 years of literally any Sonic media outside of the first game, and even that is being generous.

OK this is where I'm almost certain they would go with this setup if this somehow doesn't bomb and ensure a sequel never gets off the ground:

- Sonic stays on Earth at the end of the first movie
- Eggman decides to make the best of his situation and rule the planet he's been sent to
- This planet is where characters like Tails and Knuckles reside
- Knuckles guards the Chaos Emeralds, which Eggman plans to steal and harness
- Tails uses a machine he's built to escape to Earth and seek help, finds Sonic
- Sonic saves the day by using the Chaos Emeralds and going all Super Sonic on Eggman's behind

Of course that sounds almost too much like something I'd actually want to watch, so throw in a bunch of unnecessary human characters and Tails doing the Fortnite default dance or something. Bam, Sonic 2.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
The Brooklyn backstory was basically smashed by Yoshi's Island's plot. Can't be plumbers from New York if the stork dropped them off directly to their parents in the Mushroom Kingdom. I agree that Mario being raised in New Donk City would be a great backstory though.

Also, Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic originally made perfect sense until they randomly decided that Classic Sonic is actually from another dimension as of Forces instead of simply being a younger Sonic as claimed in Generations.

OK this is where I'm almost certain they would go with this setup if this somehow doesn't bomb and ensure a sequel never gets off the ground:

- Sonic stays on Earth at the end of the first movie
- Eggman decides to make the best of his situation and rule the planet he's been sent to
- This planet is where characters like Tails and Knuckles reside
- Knuckles guards the Chaos Emeralds, which Eggman plans to steal and harness
- Tails uses a machine he's built to escape to Earth and seek help, finds Sonic
- Sonic saves the day by using the Chaos Emeralds and going all Super Sonic on Eggman's behind

Of course that sounds almost too much like something I'd actually want to watch, so throw in a bunch of unnecessary human characters and Tails doing the Fortnite default dance or something. Bam, Sonic 2.
Yeah that's way too good a story compared to what's in this AMA.

I imagine it'd be like, inexplicably, other alien Tails comes to earth because, inexplicably, he heard that's where Sonic is, and somehow the events of the first movie make him out to be some kind of hero. But Sonic is off planet now so Tails and Worthless Human Costar track down another alien inexplicably on earth, Knuckles. He is guarding the Chaos Emeralds, which have been on earth forever but of course nobody has ever heard of. They're used to open a gate and bring Sonic back to earth right as the bad guy, CHAOS, shows up. They use the Chaos Emeralds to defeat CHAOS, but not by turning Sonic into Super Sonic, but rather by using them in a ray gun Tails invents. Stinger is Eggman somehow hears of these amazing emeralds back on earth, and begins his plan to return and steal them in the third movie.

Ticks all the boxes: Sonic's not even in half of the movie, there's a useless human for no reason, they have a key plot device from the games but misuse it, still no Super Sonic, everything is awful.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Sorry?

Yeah it sounds like there trying to make it "hip with the kids" based on that floss joke, but the lore is to appeal to grown men who couldn't let go of the Archie/cartoon stuff.

It's not really doing a good job of that, IMO. It doesn't really resemble Sonic SatAM, the Archie comics, or even the Fleetway comics or Sonic X (Yes, by now that counts as something a grown man could have watched in their childhood...). All the resemblances there are are like really old stuff, like the Sonic Bible that the Fleetway comic was given as a prompt (see: Eggman used to be a good scientist and his name was backwards, and also the names of Sonic's friends) before it went its own direction (Adding Grimer, Porker Lewis and Johnny Lightfoot being members of Sonic's team instead of an NPC).
Did they just seriously take the old unused Sonic Bible and turn it into a movie with some more modifications...

I'd actually love to see a modern take on the old 80s Mario lore. There's something bizarre and fever dream like about the whole original concept.
I agree in that it made the games feel more of of a "universe", but these days Nintendo of Japan and Nintendo of America are more on the same page; I'm surprised there's even a new Mario movie getting made. The Brooklyn and cartoon stuff was all made up by NoA and the writers; before Paper Mario the games were pretty much made from "Mario bounces in a colorful world", and things like the 8 kingdoms, Yoshi, and the painting worlds weren't really parts of the "Mario canon" so much as wacky characters and facilitations for gameplay. Back then and even today, Nintendo didn't really have any interest in creating a Mario universe outside of what is seen or stated in the games themselves; It wasn't until Paper Mario that something even approached the old cartoons/comics in plot and world-building, and even that didn't copy the cartoons or Nintendo Comics System, it started from scratch.

I'm not saying that anyone who participated should feel sad about it, but it's a little bittersweet to look at that old "Lemmy's Land" website I visited as a kid and to realize now that Nintendo doesn't care about that kind of thing at all; they're pretty much writing by the seat of their pants in a lot of cases with Mario. You had people on there saying that "Bowser Jr. is an artistic representation of Ludwig Von Koopa as a baby!" "Wart is Bowser's brother who got turned into a frog!" and a whole bunch of one-bit Mario RPG and Paper Mario characters were treated by the community as mainstays of the Mario universe. Hell, the modern-day "Paper Mario: Temple of the Sun" fanfic is leaps and bounds beyond the narrative complexity of Color Splash.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds so dumb and fake that it's probably real in our nightmare timeline.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, i actually thought the sonic from generations was altarnete dimension sonic on that game, I may be misremembering from my playthorugh.

About the Yoshi Island games, it always could be Mario and Luigi as babies were in the mushroom kingdom brought by the stork, then something happened and they lived since kids on New Donk City or Brooklyn with italoamerican foster parents, and then they discovered the pipes that brought them back again. As we dont know what happened between baby Mario bros and adult mario bros I dont think that backstory is really contradicting the games. In fact i think the most contradicting game for everything in the series is SMB3 being a stage where they are all actors, but even then, its similar to a Mickey and pals situation.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So basically take the 2011 Smurfs film, replace the smurfs with Sonic, Neil Patrick Harrris with James Marsden, and Hank Azaria with Jim Carrey and you've got the Sonic film.

Sounds like it bears no resemblance to any other form of Sonic the Hedgehog outside of character names and "rings".

I knew folks were down on Sonic Boom when it was revealed but that looks like a goddamn masterpiece compared to this trash.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
So basically take the 2011 Smurfs film, replace the smurfs with Sonic, Neil Patrick Harrris with James Marsden, and Hank Azaria with Jim Carrey and you've got the Sonic film.

Sounds like it bears no resemblance to any other form of Sonic the Hedgehog outside of character names and "rings".

I knew folks were down on Sonic Boom when it was revealed but that looks like a goddamn masterpiece compared to this trash.

Yeah, the problem with Boom was mainly that it was unnecessary. They didn't go far enough in rebooting the characters and world so it came off as a weird half-step where they mostly kept what worked but all the stuff they changed was bland and forgettable at best.

The problem with this movie is that it seems to go too far and strips the franchise of almost everything people like about it. No side characters, no Chaos Emeralds or Super Sonic, no wacky colorful landscapes. Just The Smurfs repackaged.