• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Reddit Post

mmkd said:
Screenshot shows Unreal Engine 4 (and something that looks like a visual shader editor, I'm not really familiar with UE) and a high-poly Pikachu 3D model on the left.

The Job posting site: https://www.creatures.co.jp/recruit/1261/

They mention Maya (3D modeling program by Autodesk), Unity and UE. However, the image and the fact that other 1st party games are made with Unreal (Yoshi) suggest that Pokemon might use it as well.

job17.jpg

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
UE4 games look pretty good on Switch hardware. Not to mention like 90% of Japanese publishers are using the engine, so it makes sense.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't expect Gen8 to be using Unreal Engine, this is probably for a spinoff like PokePark

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Before this gets blown out of proportion:

What Creatures Inc does is making all the 3D models for Pokémon games. Game Freak doesn't have the necessary people to make them in-house.

However, they also develop spin-offs like Detective Pikachu and make animated movies for the TCG.

It's very unlikely that Pokémon Switch is being developed with UE4 as Game Freak has never made a game with that engine and they haven't hired people for it. I'm pretty sure they are just using an upgraded Sun/Moon engine or creating a new engine from scratch like always.

On the other side, another job posting for Creatures specifically mentions that they are making Nintendo Switch and smartphone games. Notice how the Unity requirement is only for smartphone games.

3pLa8Yy.png

https://www.creatures.co.jp/recruit/320/

Last edited:

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They say "Unity or UE4" so it's probably a general 3D game modelling job post, but UE4 being used by most of Nintendo's subsidiaries/partners to speed up development certainly seems like an interesting proposition.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that it's Creatures, and not Game Freak.

This is probably for a spinoff game.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would be interesting if they went that route.
Though since it's not Game Freak, it probably won't be for the mainline title

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Doesn't necessarily mean Pokémon Switch, Creatures have made stuff like Detective Pikachu, Pokedex 3d or whatever is called, Pokémon Ranger etc.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
God's sake

No it doesn't hint at it. It's a possibility, but Creatures Inc. develops their own games

Edit: Ah good, there is some sanity here.

Alcântara

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon never was about beautiful graphics, but one entry in Unreal Engine would be an interesting experiment.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why are people saliviating at the idea of it? It doesn't mean it'd be a good game. It doesn't mean it'd be a big open world. It doesn't even mean it'll look good.

I really don't understand the reaction I've seen the past day to this, even if it was for Pokémon Switch

Arkert

Oct 28, 2017
Why Unreal Engine 4 generates such excitement? It's only an engine. You can also use it for 2D games.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Why Unreal Engine 4 generates such excitement? It's only an engine. You can also use it for 2D games.

I'm guessing you didn't look at the picture? It's a 3D game. But that's irrelevant anyway, a 2D Pokemon game in UE would still be 1000's times better than the dated shit the 3DS games use.

Why are people saliviating at the idea of it? It doesn't mean it'd be a good game. It doesn't mean it'd be a big open world. It doesn't even mean it'll look good.

It means it will be different, which is exciting even without knowing any more. The last few DS-3DS generations have stagnated terribly.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I really don't understand the reaction I've seen the past day to this, even if it was for Pokémon Switch
Well it means a likely shorter development time

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why are people saliviating at the idea of it? It doesn't mean it'd be a good game. It doesn't mean it'd be a big open world. I really don't understand the reaction I've seen the past day to this, even if it was for Pokémon Switch

Don't listen to this rational man! Get overly excited! BotW sized world filled with 100+ Pokemon, all with unique models and animations! Real-time combat that totally reinvents the wheel!

Get hyped!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing you didn't look at the picture? It's a 3D game. But that's irrelevant anyway, a 2D Pokemon game in UE would still be 1000's times better than the dated shit the 3DS games use.
When was the last time Creatures made a 2D game?

*hint, it was on the DS

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017

It's just a very modern engine capable of really good next gen graphics, that's all.

Nothing really perplexing about it.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Detective Pikachu 2

Well if they are we may see it soon, I did think they try making they own game engine like in all the others