• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm only posting this because it WILL get posted, you all know it. I also got approved to make this thread, as I wanted to check if it was fine to do so.

Anyway, Go Nintendo's Kevin Cassidy posted a video of him talking about this rumor he was pointed to where Christopher Dring who works for GamesIndustry and The Guardian, was tweeting that Retro is working on a non-gaming thing, and asks if it was what would be announced as the Labo just before it was revealed:

However he clarifies that he's not certain if it IS Labo that they're working on (have to link these only, it won't let me embed more than two things):

https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/954058297539211264
https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/954101776076169218

This is the first sign we've had of what Retro has even been doing aside from Tropical Freeze on Switch. Now I don't know if they're able to do potentially Labo, TF, AND a big new game at the same time, but who knows.

Let's hope this isn't as bad as it sounds, hopefully Nintendo clarifies soon. Even better if they do confirm this but only after showing a big new game to prevent a riot from erupting.

Now let's TRY to not panic, please. Just take all this with a HUGE grain of salt.

Edit: This tweet is an interested one also (thanks TheMoon!):

https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/954278252557864960

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be upset if this was true purely because I know I'll never be able to enjoy or be excited for it when the overwhelming reaction from the gaming community at large will be WAAAAAAAH DO METROID.

Also PLEASE do not suggest that Tropical Freeze was anything but a 10/10.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing the Robot game, but them being in charge of the entirety of Labo is a real big stretch to me.

Labo seems like an incredibly large initiative and I don't think Nintendo would just let it ride on the performance of their main US developer.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Retro fully developed the Tropical Freeze port and is assisting on Labo. But they almost certainly have another project as well.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But to be serious Retro hired people for a narrative game I thought? I could see Retro doing Labo (some of it), TF port and a new game.

Oct 26, 2017
Well I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing the Robot game, but them being in charge of the entirety of Labo is a bit of a stretch to me.

Labo seems like an incredibly large initiative and I don't think Nintendo would just let it ride on the performance of their main US developer.
I could see them doing some of the games but not the actual card board.

Deku

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, we shall see; seems odd to make a bunch of video game designers not work on games. Of course, it would depend on what's not a game.

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them doing some of the games but not the actual card board.
No I mean think about it, the rumor implies that this could be all that Retro would have been working on. It infers that they are in charge of all the software involved with Labo, they all sort of have a central feel to them. This would technically include the games for products not up for preorder yet.

Is it possible they're assisting in development? Could be. But if someone thinks this is what they've been wroking on for the last few years, there's little need to panic.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be surprised when labo is retro. The idea is too Japanese and way to "out of the box" (pls kill me) for them.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Retro could be doing anything and very few seem to actually know. There's a chance Dring knows for sure but as you said OP, take it with a grain of salt.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Why take a storied game developer that breathed life into two classic franchises and make them NOT develop games? I hope this isn't true

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
possible they're doing more than one project. hard to believe they were working exclusively on some wii fit/brain training/labo type of thing all this time

Oct 26, 2017
No I mean think about it, the rumor implies that this could be all that Retro would have been working on. It infers that they are in charge of all the software involved with Labo, they all sort of have a central feel to them. This would technically include the games for products not up for preorder yet.

Is it possible they're assisting in development? Could be. But if someone thinks this is what they've been wroking on for the last few years, there's little need to panic.
Why is it implied they're in charge of all the software?

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Retro assisting might make sense. Assisting on this + porting Tropical Freeze would explain the gap between TF and their next big project.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Yeah, I'm sure Retro HAS to be working on a game. They're a game developer ffs. There's no way they can be only doing this stuff. Assuming if this is even true, of course.

Oct 25, 2017
Also it wouldn't be the first sign we heard of Retro's potential projects. We also had rumors that they were working on a Nintendo IP that was neither Donkey Kong or Metroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.