• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Playing through it with a friend right now and it's a lot better than I thought. Def recommend this game. We're hooked!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
No just UE4 in general if the dev doesn't optimise the shader process. Plenty of DX11 UE4 games have shader compilation stutter too like Jedi Fallen Order.

I have some faith in Housemarque putting out a polished product though.
I am not sure it's really a "polish" problem. It might not be a problem that turns up on any of their test machines (anymore) since all shaders are long since compiled there. With Vulkan, I think there's a standardised format across drivers that you can ship to players, Steam supports this actually, but I guess that's not possible with DX 12. So you either let it stutter until the problem goes away, or you do the Horizon thing where it just precompiles them all at startup, and it takes like half an hour every time you update your drivers. Horizon does let you skip this and jump into the game right away, but at you own stuttery peril.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I am not sure it's really a "polish" problem. It might not be a problem that turns up on any of their test machines (anymore) since all shaders are long since compiled there. With Vulkan, I think there's a standardised format across drivers that you can ship to players, Steam supports this actually, but I guess that's not possible with DX 12. So you either let it stutter until the problem goes away, or you do the Horizon thing where it just precompiles them all at startup, and it takes like half an hour every time you update your drivers. Horizon does let you skip this and jump into the game right away, but at you own stuttery peril.
HZD compiles the shaders continuously and seamlessly in the background now since a couple of patches ago, so as long as you have a half decent machine you're stutter free from the start without having to wait for pre-compile.

The problem with UE4 is by default it compiles exactly when the given shader is required for the first time. It's not intelligent whatsoever. We've seen UE4 games get around this by compiling on the title screen (The Ascent, Psychonauts 2) or during loading (Gears 5, Ghostrunner etc) or during cutscenes (SW3 since second update).

So when I say "polish" I mean HM going to extra mile as other devs have above, to resolve the UE4 related issue. I hope they do.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
The haptic feedback sync with the action, feels like the projectile is coming out of the control like how it would come out of your weapon. And there there are the environmental effects like rain drop etc. Also the half pressed trigger for alt firing, pressurized trigger turn it into 2 buttons essentially, not sure it would work on a xbox controller. Audio out from controller too, sync with action. Basically every feedback from the controller feels like what is going on in action, one of those thing not easy to describe in words, have to try it for yourself. Of course there are ppl that dont like rumble of any kind anyone then they may be better off with k+m.
It's going to work on an Xbox controller. They can map the alt fire to a button combination.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The haptic feedback sync with the action, feels like the projectile is coming out of the control like how it would come out of your weapon. And there there are the environmental effects like rain drop etc. Also the half pressed trigger for alt firing, pressurized trigger turn it into 2 buttons essentially, not sure it would work on a xbox controller. Audio out from controller too, sync with action. Basically every feedback from the controller feels like what is going on in action, one of those thing not easy to describe in words, have to try it for yourself. Of course there are ppl that dont like rumble of any kind anyone then they may be better off with k+m.
You can disable that on PS5 so it maps the alt to a bumper. But yeah, this game is a true masterclass for DS IMHO, and the only game I can think of (Astro aside) that I think you'd be missing out if you played it on any other controller.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing way more Sony first party games on my Steam Deck than on my PS5.

I just thought to myself... what I end up actually buying a Sony exclusive on PC before PS5, lol..

I don't think that's gonna happen though. I know it's a twitch type shooter, but remote play has worked really well for me remotely. I'd rather just play it for much cheaper on PS5 and then double dip when it eventually becomes dirt cheap on PC.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
But yeah, this game is a true masterclass for DS IMHO, and the only game I can think of (Astro aside) that I think you'd be missing out if you played it on any other controller.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart has certain weapons with dual fire modes (e.g. single or double barrel) on the right trigger.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yeah the game already has an alternate control scheme for people who don't want two inputs on the same trigger.
Yep, the game was clearly designed to be played on other pads as well since one of the bumpers is basically "free" just to let you bind what you want.
I've found the two way L2 aim awful, it's too hard to press even with triggers on low so I've put the secondary weapon on L1 (and the run button on R1, much better then mess with the crappy L3).

DualSense vibrations are cool tho, one of the very few games that use them in a way that makes sense.

p.s. The game is already pretty easy with the pad (played with no aim assist, the bullet magnetism is insane even at minimum), but with mouse + keyboard is gonna be a joke, I can already see people complaining that is definitely too easy. It would be cool to add an hard mode for the game that isn't the endless tower.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
You can disable that on PS5 so it maps the alt to a bumper. But yeah, this game is a true masterclass for DS IMHO, and the only game I can think of (Astro aside) that I think you'd be missing out if you played it on any other controller.
Horizon 2, bow tension and audio were perfect, plus gyro etc. Only weird thing was the 3d audio system through headphone only so if you are using headphones you can barely hear from the controller whivh is so dumb. This is why the game need dolby atmos so bad.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
p.s. The game is already pretty easy with the pad (played with no aim assist, the bullet magnetism is insane even at minimum), but with mouse + keyboard is gonna be a joke, I can already see people complaining that is definitely too easy. It would be cool to add an hard mode for the game that isn't the endless tower.
I definitely don't agree with this. I think your experience is an extreme outlier compared to the common experience with difficulty.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still 1900% lost.

Steam apps have tokens that identify what the app is (eg if you have Team Fortress 2 on your Steam account there's a token on your steam account that says app 440 is Team Fortress 2). The guy that runs the third party SteamDB website made a program that allows you to dump all of your tokens from Steam and upload them to the site so they can identify what every app/package/etc is on Steam:

Basically if someone is testing a game on Steam that hasn't been announced yet or have a store page up and they run that app it will send the token to SteamDB, which will be able to identify it.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea if there could be standard rumble for non-Dualsense pads?

I don't like the Dualsense because it's uncomfortable to hold. I wonder if there would be a way to play with a keyboard and mouse but still have the Dualsense haptics active for a secondary controller for leaving it in your lap. Yeah, I know how that sounds, but didn't Tetris Effect have something like this?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
maybe I will get it for PC too but man i really love the game's use of the haptic feedback of the dualsense and i think that adds a lot to the game, not sure if i'd like it the same on PC

great that this game is on more platforms. wonderful game. i want more games set in the lore they have built. we don't have enough scifi horror
You can use the DS featues on PC if the devs implement, and I'm pretty sure they will.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Returnal is a sweet game but ill definitely wait for a good sale on before I get it on my pc. Plus I doubt sony will give me a code for steam like they did for the ps5 lol. Returnal would be awesome to play on the steamdeck though. But there are a bunch of ps5 games I do want on steam so my 3090 can push them to their limits such as Last of Us part 1, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War Ragnarok, Last of Us part 2, and horizon forbidden west. Plus side we get Spiderman and Uncharted on steam soonish.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Alright here is another "update"

8 depot / app changes on 7/11 UTC time
10 depot / app changes in the past 24 hours
6 depot / app changes on 7/9 UTC time
external_ship got an update, first time in 20 days (doesn't happen often, but it's an interesting coincidence)

As far as I can read, up until now, each day had a range of 1-3 depot / app changes since in the DB app's history. There are couple days that had more than 3 changes but nowhere near 10 in 24 hours. I'd say we are getting very close to announcement with this info + achievement localization

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Alright here is another "update"

8 depot / app changes on 7/11 UTC time
10 depot / app changes in the past 24 hours
6 depot / app changes on 7/9 UTC time
external_ship got an update, first time in 20 days (doesn't happen often, but it's an interesting coincidence)

As far as I can read, up until now, each day had a range of 1-3 depot / app changes since in the DB app's history. There are couple days that had more than 3 changes but nowhere near 10 in 24 hours. I'd say we are getting very close to announcement with this info + achievement localization
Probably shouldn't infer anything announcement timeline wise from steamdb updates.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
I'm ready for this game, but I couldn't see this being announced before Spider-Man comes out.

We're getting Uncharted and Spider-Man this year right?

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
Spider-Man is supposed to come out next month with Miles Morales following this Fall and Uncharted is still MIA.

Oh, last I heard Uncharted was soon. I guess who ever is porting it is having issues.

I'm excited for Spider-Man and Miles Morales. I started Spider-Man on PS4 but never finished.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
At this rate Sony will announce and release Returnal before Uncharted 4 XD
I really want returnal
76796212-guy-praying-hard-in-studio.jpg

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting, irc this game rely on ps5 ssd speed for teleportation. Steam deck i/o is definitely not even close to the same rest speed.
Of the games that rely heavily PS5 SSD speed so far I wouldn't really think Returnal was one of them. Lots and lots of particle effects though...

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm really excited to finally play this game.

I loved Resogun and Super Stardust HD. And I also love the sci-fi/Alien vibes that I got from the Returnal trailers.

I just hope it runs decently on my 2060S. Keeping my fingers crossed for DLSS support.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Interesting, irc this game rely on ps5 ssd speed for teleportation. Steam deck i/o is definitely not even close to the same rest speed.

You ain't going to need PS5 SSD speed to run PS5 ports on PC at all, of course an NVME SSD is going to be ideal but not as fast as the one on the PS5.

Spider-Man Remastered still lists an HDD despite being a "PS5" title.