• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I have a PS5 sitting in BestBuy's pick up center right now waiting for me to pick up, and being that this is the only game I wanted a PS5 for, this news makes me very happy.

Oct 7, 2019
I tried playing Returnal on Steam Deck streaming from the PS5 via Chiaki and I was surprised how difficult I found playing it without the adaptive triggers, kept on accidently using alt-fire because the Steam Deck triggers didn't give any resistance (obviously). I wonder how they'd mitigate that for a PC version using the same control scheme.

EDIT: Ah, just read there's an alternate control scheme. Still don't know if I can live without the controller going "bawbb" when running through the things that sometimes drop parasites but it's cool that the DualSense isn't absolutely needed.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I tried playing Returnal on Steam Deck streaming from the PS5 via Chiaki and I was surprised how difficult I found playing it without the adaptive triggers, kept on accidently using alt-fire because the Steam Deck triggers didn't give any resistance (obviously). I wonder how they'd mitigate that for a PC version using the same control scheme.

EDIT: Ah, just read there's an alternate control scheme. Still don't know if I can live without the controller going "bawbb" when running through the things that sometimes drop parasites but it's cool that the DualSense isn't absolutely needed.

It's good that there are also alternatives, but PC games can support all of the DualSense features and it can be used with Steam Deck.

Oct 27, 2017
lmao

The PC version will have an unskippable screen every time you launch it:
"Please buy the sequel Return 2 Returnal, launching exclusively on PS5!***

***Also in development for PC"

Returnal Eternal!

No but seriously, I'm playing this right now and it feels like it would be a really good fit for PC. I also can't wait to see the silly and fun mods some people put into the game!

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Have Housemarque ever made a sequel? Don't think so .

Also, hope this means we'll get a show soon where this and other games get formally announced.

Oct 27, 2017
How long before people mod her face to be generic hot girl i wonder lol

Lol. A couple of days, probably? TBH Selene being an older lady with a lot of experience is something I like most about it.

I must admit though if they mod her to be Kat from Gravity Rush or something like that I would find it pretty funny.

TĪ›PIVVĪ›

Nov 12, 2017
I can't wait for the rest of the PC or for people to test this out on one of the playstation tiers, Still has not left my PS5 since I got it last year such an amazing fun game to dip into and even more with the tower, a stretch but a cross play update would be the *chefs kiss* icing on the cake!

Oct 7, 2019
It's good that there are also alternatives, but PC games can support all of the DualSense features and it can be used with Steam Deck.

You're right, I was thinking of only the Steam Deck in portable mode. Good that PC players get the full experience with the right controller, adds more to the game than you'd think when you don't have the DS features any more.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
It's always been marketing.

Intelligently preparing the assets in RAM before they're needed is more programming work but will work the exact same.

As someone who has noted numerous times since the PS5 was announced that any IO shortcomings on PC can be, with some finesse, worked around by storing more data in RAM, as even the slowest of DDR3 -- a technology that was superseded an entire console generation ago -- offers roughly 6.5GBps of bandwidth, I just want to thank you for this post.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Intelligently preparing the assets in RAM before they're needed is more programming work but will work the exact same.
As someone who has noted numerous times since the PS5 was announced that any IO shortcomings on PC can be, with some finesse, worked around by storing more data in RAM, as even the slowest of DDR3 -- a technology that was superseded an entire console generation ago -- offers roughly 6.5GBps of bandwidth, I just want to thank you for this post.

Preparing assets in RAM means the CPU handles decompression, which is slower and inefficient than doing it on the GPU. The DirectStorage API should resolve this once it supports GPU decompression. Not that I think Returnal makes a particularly compelling use case for it, but probably something like Rift Apart (and maybe Forspoken?).

xpownz

ā–² Legend ā–²
Feb 13, 2020

I dont own a ps5 so no idea what the dualsense experience is and I hope they port it good, but KB+M seems the best option to play a shooter on pc, I think?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Preparing assets in RAM means the CPU handles decompression, which is slower and inefficient than doing it on the GPU. The DirectStorage API should resolve this once it supports GPU decompression. Not that I think Returnal makes a particularly compelling use case for it, but probably something like Rift Apart (and maybe Forspoken?).

As I said, it requires finesse. Naturally, you can't just dump everything into RAM and hope the engine doesn't buckle.

Digital Foundry actually did a video where they run A Rift Apart on the slowest consumer SSD (exponentially slower than 6.5GBps), and it's a perfectly playable experience, with the performance impact being "single-frame stuff".

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I dont own a ps5 so no idea what the dualsense experience is and I hope they port it good, but KB+M seems the best option to play a shooter on pc, I think?
Thing is this game used the Dualsense trigger perfectly when shooting, as has multiple fire modes depending on how much pressure you press them. Without them, you have to use an alt fire button, which is fine, but not as "intended".

The PC port will be fine.

xpownz

ā–² Legend ā–²
Feb 13, 2020
Thing is this game used the Dualsense trigger perfectly when shooting, as has multiple fire modes depending on how much pressure you press them. Without them, you have to use an alt fire button, which is fine, but not as "intended".

The PC port will be fine.
I see! Sounds cool, hope they add the feature to the port as I was thinking of buying a Dualsense since my DS4 is kicking the bucket

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
At least on PC someone will be able to release a mod to fix the Sprinting toggle issuesā€¦

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have anything new on the Sackboy PC release that we assume is on it's way too?

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Digital Foundry actually did a video where they run A Rift Apart on the slowest consumer SSD (exponentially slower than 6.5GBps), and it's a perfectly playable experience, with the performance impact being "single-frame stuff".

Very true, and I also don't think Rift Apart comes close to utilizing the internal drive's peak throughput. Decompression is an important part of the process, however. Regardless, this is largely irrelevant for Returnal, as I don't think it would meaningfully benefit from DirectStorage.

I hope without stuttering šŸ˜„

FWIW, it stutters on PS5 during area loads, and it's pretty noticeable most of the time. Would really like to see this improved on PC.