• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
nope squarely directed at mr. johnson the man responsible for far and away the worst star wars release in my short time on this earth.

i'm cryin tears of joy right now

Oh.

So you didn't even watch the prequels.

Never mind. Go watch those and get back to me. Because thinking TLJ is worst than AoTC is as factually incorrect of an opinion as there ever will be. Of course, you're likely just trolling, as so many people do.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
He ruined my boy Finn so that's a good from me
Yeah I didn't like how he wasted in TLJ.
Amazing how people are outraged that shitheads wanted this when people who like Star Wars like you and me might have actual complaints, like this. Like I didn't like TFA, but I enjoyed Finn. Why isn't it a fair criticism to see, not even necessarily agree with, people not liking how Finn was handled in TLJ?
Right. He felt like an important part of TFA but The Last Jedi just tossed him to the worst part of the film.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good, the last Jedi was shit and the numbers show how bad of a movie it was. He literally ruined star wars over night. Well more then Lucas did the with the Episode 1 to 3.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this thread is going to be fun over the next few days

... there will be at least one good breakdown

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Drive him out? He sold it. Who the fuck drove him out?

The prequels suck ass. Period. The end. He made three shitty movies that nearly destroyed the entire franchise. Nothing Disney has done even compares to how bad those movies were.
The rose-tinted revisionism around the prequels is really something else, given how utterly reviled those movies were by SW fans when they came out and for years afterward. Makes you wonder how many people shitting on TLJ now will suddenly start praising it in 10 years when something new has come out to complain about.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Well, we can all look forward to the people who harassed Kelly Marie Tran off Twitter feeling vindicated and empowered.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
from here on out, the main star wars movies are going to be the safest movies that they can possibly be
Rian once said this:

"When people ask me, 'Don't you think people are going to get sick of 'Star Wars' movies?' to me that question indicates that they're thinking of 'Star Wars' movies as a museum exhibit that is wheeled out once a year so you can say, 'Oh, I loved that thing. Oh, I remember that thing!' And yes, if 'Star Wars' is that, people are going to get sick of it really quickly.
"But if 'Star Wars' are great new movies that are exciting and fresh, and that challenge you and surprise you and make you feel things and engage you the way that those original movies did — but always taking you to new places, both in the galaxy and emotionally — that's never going to get old. That's what it's all about."

The opposite of that will now be the status quo.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I would agree with the Finn stuff. Finn's arc was so awful in the TLJ. Honestly, that was what bothered me the most, although TLJ had more problems. I thought Luke's arc was well done. I really didn't get that hate.

The movie was entertaining. It just had some puzzling character choices.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
For a somewhat serious post, I was interested in what Rian would've done without the shackles of JJ's shitty worldbuilding setup. I also don't like how he handled Finn or Rey to a lesser extent, but I hoped he'd be better with characters he could build from the ground up.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nope squarely directed at mr. johnson the man responsible for far and away the worst star wars release in my short time on this earth. george lucas on the other hand is the closest thing to a living genius that we have.

i'm cryin tears of joy right now

But George's prequels are trash, editors/other director's saved the original trilogy a fuck ton from his own crappy direction and TLJ is the best SW movie.
So. Hmmmmm.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Game of Thrones Writers/Creators have their movies.

But other than that....... Not much else.

I wonder if they regret getting in on the SW thing. I'm guessing they got the offer a few years ago, probably around the time ep VII came out, so it probably seemed like a great idea then. But now GoT has gotten so big, I think they probably recognize GoT is a better series to write and produce for, and if not that then some whole new series. SW is not something that I see D&D be a good match for, I think it's a waste of their time, their background could have gotten them something more interesting. But maybe they're huge SW fans.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Not really. Me and a whole bunch of people I know in Baltimore really didn't care for the movie. Some pretty much turned on the movie because what he did With Finn. You guys don't realize how much the shit Rian pulled with Finn soured the movie with alot of black movie goers. They might not speak up on the internet about it but I do remember my DnD group and alot of the people I worked With at the Post office were talking mad shit about the movie and how it Handled Finn and How they Didn't care about watching one long ass chase scene that didn't feel like a chase scene.

Sorry but it sounds like you and your friends just hate women and minority characters. How many MAGA hats do you own?

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Oh great.

Now the trilogy is guaranteed to not go smoothly. It's going to be difficult three different visions unless you're Alan Moore.

I hate to say it, but I feel this will become like Return of the Jedi, good, but failing to live the highs of the first two.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
For a somewhat serious post, I was interested in what Rian would've done without the shackles of JJ's shitty worldbuilding setup. I also don't like how he handled Finn or Rey to a lesser extent, but I hoped he'd be better with characters he could build from the ground up.
Yea a lot of TLJ was cleaning up JJ's mess.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The rose-tinted revisionism around the prequels is really something else, given how utterly reviled those movies were by SW fans when they came out and for years afterward. Makes you wonder how many people shitting on TLJ now will suddenly start praising it in 10 years when something new has come out to complain about.

"It's like poetry, it rhymes"

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
He ruined my boy Finn so that's a good from me
Hyperbole, thy name is Anthanes. Maybe you can argue he was put into a more of a B plot of the movie (a very important one at that), but nothing so bad was done to him as a character that he could ever be argued to have been "ruined". He acts how you could see his character acting post-TFA and he is developed into someone one could see becoming an important character for the resistance in the long run.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
He sold it for a reason. Unless you were in a coma for like two decades then I shouldn't need to explain that the fanbase drove him out.

This is fucking nonsense. No one drove Lucas to do anything he didn't want to do. Ever. The guy did exactly what he wanted to do and wouldn't listen to anyone. Which is why the prequels suck so much. He refused to listen to anyone.

He sold because he wanted to. He even took less money to make sure it was sold to the company he preferred.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
George Lucas expanded the franchise in a way that nobody has done so since the prequels. I like how it's OK to drive out George Lucas, the creator of the franchise. Star Wars fans are fucking weird.

I will say that his treatment for the ST (which was cribbed from heavily despite being 'tossed') had some utterly great visual designs that at the very least were much more interesting than the versions we actually got.

And yeah, hate on Lucas all you want, but the PT? That's what expanding the universe actually looks like.

TFA was a good (necessary?) play it safe 'apology' of sorts, but much like ST09 going to ITD, needed to blow the roof off in fullfiling the promise of the premise, and TLJ did none of that. The world (in conjunction with extended media not creating any meaningfully new things) feels as small as ever, maybe the smallest it ever has.

My personal hope is that XI course corrects where needed to provide at least a suitable ending to the trilogy, and then the film's rest for a while until they can jump eras and actually shake things up.

I'm betting that Matt Smith is playing a clone of the Emperor and that XI seeks to tie up the ST leaning heavily on all three eras, with actual foundational changes instead of 'subversions', and after TLJ they don't have much of a choice, but I would be satisfied with that at least.

Last edited:
Update: Making Star Wars claims the rumour appears to be false

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For reference, Making Star Wars has a near flawless record. Jason has his sources.

Me:
f1re1okv97l01.gif

anbokr

Oct 25, 2017
Oh.

So you didn't even watch the prequels.

Never mind. Go watch those and get back to me. Because thinking TLJ is worst than AoTC is as factually incorrect of an opinion as there ever will be. Of course, you're likely just trolling, as so many people do.

nope, but i'm glad we've moved to classifying a pure difference of opinion as trolling

sure i'm being a bit hyperbolic for fun, but i genuinely really really disliked TLJ and enjoyed the prequels. the prequels had some campy dialogue that wasn't helped by the wooden acting, but i enjoyed the tragedy of anakin and the story arc overall

the two latest films feel like a completely disconnected mess with no heart and soul -- hated TLJ in particular, and that's ok. you can be sad that you liked TLJ and rian is gone, and i can be happy that i disliked TLJ and he's gone.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Well, we can all look forward to the people who harassed Kelly Marie Tran off Twitter feeling vindicated and empowered.

What happened to Tran is really all the proof you need that a large amount of the hate that TLJ received isn't legitimate or honest.

What happened to Tran simply isn't something that happens. No one was harassed off Twitter after other movies that were generally considered to be disappointing like Age of Ultron or truly terrible like Batman v. Superman.

TLJ is a critically acclaimed film that led to a female actress being harassed off Twitter by childish fanboys on the internet. That's all you need to know.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I would agree with the Finn stuff. Finn's arc was so awful in the TLJ. Honestly, that was what bothered me the most, although TLJ had more problems. I thought Luke's arc was well done. I really didn't get that hate.

It's pretty simple: people built up an image in their heads of Grand Old Jedi Master Luke, who can toss around Star Destroyers with his mind and just absolutely wreck shit. And when the movie didn't deliver that -- and then killed him! -- they went nuts.

I am 100 percent convinced that if nothing about TLJ was any different except Luke lived at the end, the backlash against TLJ would've been nowhere the level it is in some places. Because then those same people could still hang on to the Luke they had imagined as maybe happening in the next movie. The door on that wouldn't have been shut like how TLJ shut it.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Finn's arc was the way it is because he was never supposed to be more than just an introduction into the story. He was to TFA what the droids were in ANH

Anyways, how will this thread look if this is bullshit?

Oct 27, 2017
You keep saying factually incorrect things in this thread.

Your personal opinion isn't important. Saying the series is in shambles is a lie.
It's not. They announced two full trilogies and several prequels and because of poor management have now had to cancel a good portion of it all. That's a mess. If the series was operating well we wouldn't have had the Solo reshoots, and rewrites, leading to it flopping critically and financially. We wouldn't have them cancelling their prequels. We wouldn't have them cancelling one of two of their new trilogies... Leaving the future of Star Wars in the hands of the friggin GoT showrunners.....

Shambles

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I enjoyed Looper, but The Last Jedi was one of the most disappointing films I've seen in a long time. I did really enjoy Rogue One and Solo though, way more than I was expecting, so I think Star Wars films can definitely still work for me, if they're good.

I don't know who's to blame for The Last Jedi being as bad as it was: was it the script and Johnson's limited ability to influence it, or was it just down to bad filmmaking on Johnson's part? I know Johnson later talked about being constrained, but earlier on I heard plenty of stories which seemed to indicate that it was very much Johnson's vision. Whichever it was, maybe Johnson could've done good stuff in a slightly less constrained context (i.e. his own trilogy). But personally I think someone like Joseph Kosinski would've been a better option regardless.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Ugly news if true. LF might actually succeed at upsetting all corners of the SW fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.