• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From...Geeks Worldwide who scooped the Swamp Thing cancellation:
First up is The Riddler, likely the main villain, who will be "a criminal mastermind in Gotham City who takes delight in incorporating riddles and puzzles into his schemes, leaving them as clues for the authorities to solve." Reeves is seeking a male actor of any ethnicity between the ages of 30 and 40.

Next up The Penguin, a "Gotham City mobster." He is a "short, obese man with a long nose, and he uses high-tech umbrellas as weapons." Reeves is searching for a male actor of any ethnicity between the ages of 20 and 40.

Catwoman will also be in the film, as a "Gotham City burglar" who "wears a tight one piece outfit and uses a bullwhip for a weapon." Reeves wants an actress of any ethnicity between the ages of 20 and 30.

Another villain that will show up is "a professional arsonist known as the "Firefly"." He "attempts to burn all the places that he lacked the privilege to go as an orphan child." Reeves is searching for a male actor of any ethnicity between the ages of 20 and 30.
Again, it is a rumor, but Reeves has mentioned he wants his Bats to face multiple villains and both Variety and THR have mentioned Catwoman and the Penguin to be in the film.

Lock if criminally insane and/or old.

EDIT 1: Mad Hatter and Two-Face are in as well.

They are eyeing to cast a male in their 30-40s for Two-Face and are eyeing to cast a male in their 40-50s for Mad Hatter. It should be noted also that these 6 villains are the ones that Matt Reeves currently is planning to include in the film however, similar to how Batgirl was previously in Birds of Prey and how the character was about to be cast before she was written out of the film, this could be the case for any of these villains however, as it currently stands, these 6 villains will also appear in some capacity in the film.

The film is eyeing to begin filming in Q1 2020, likely in February, previously the film was slated to begin filming on December 9th however, the decision was made to push back production for the film likely due to rewrites on the screenplay and to allow more time for casting on the film. The story of the film will focus on Batman's detective skills as he uses these skills to solve a murder mystery involving all of the above villains.

Last edited:

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
...firefly?

The Riddler is cool though, it would be nice to see a more modern take on him. Lots of interesting things you can do with him.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they're all going to team up like the villains in the 90s Batman flicks did so not too worried about having a lot of them. I'm just glad it's not about him and the mob or something.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shit ton of villains for the first movie out of a possible trilogy
That's... a lot of villains.
I don't think they are all going to be pure villains.

Catwoman is very likely going to be the romantic lead.

Firefly is going to be main henchman for the big bad.

And either the Penguin or Riddler will be a recurring villain, i.e. a one-film Big Bad and a trilogy Big-Bad.

In other words, it's feasible that this movie won't pull a "Spider-Man 3."

Oct 27, 2017
That's not necessarily a lot depending on how they portray them. You have one main antagonist and then everyone else is sort of supporting players.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that a few of these are locked up already but they won't be by the end of the film.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Not that hard to break down. Main villain is the Riddler, Batman shows up to interrogate Penguin but he isn't in the movie a lot, appears in sequels, Catwoman shows up once or twice but it's the start of the relationship, never appears out of costume, and then Firefly is like the opening action scene villain that Batman stops, or someone Penguin hires to torch a rival business or something.

Four villains doesn't mean they're all getting a ton of screen time, and it's nice to introduce people like Penguin and Catwoman now so we get more time with them, instead of how it always is with Batman films being one and done with villains.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
"Recently."

I hate to do this to you, but by the time this movie comes out, "The Dark Knight Rises" will be 9 years old.

ok? I'm just saying it that doesn't feel that long ago and they can easily use new villains or do new takes on villains that haven't been in the movies in a long time.

it took longer than 9 years to get new iterations of Joker, Two-Face, cat woman, bane in the movies. We can wait a bit.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see it working. Catwoman would just be the love interest role. Firefly would probably be a hired gun for Penquin. Penquin being a typical mobster role while riddler does his riddler stuff.

Would rather have Scarecrow though.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That's good news, one thing I noticed throughout the years is the more villians you have in the film, the better it will be

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I wonder if the Penguin here will be actively a villain or maybe a club owner that dabbles every now and again.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
?? They acknowledge a Robin in Batman v Superman.
For a second on screen, and then we never got any mention afterwards. :/ So maybe I should have said "acknowledge Robin for more than a second."

BATMAN CANT BE A GOOD FATHER BECASUE HES AN ORPHAN. DEEP & SUBTLE SUBTEXT.
Or they won't even acknowledge that he was any sort of father because he has the emotional capacity of a 12-year-old or some nonsense.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Having multiple villains doesn't mean every one is a main antagonist. Given the intent for this movie to have more of a detective noir vibe:

- Riddler as the main antagonist, matching wits with this young detective-focused Batman
- Catwoman as the femme fatale
- Penguin as the underground information broker, who Batman reluctantly goes to for details on the Riddler
- Firefly as the pre-credits villain, to establish Batman's methods and physical prowess. Maybe Riddler frees him later as a distraction, cue rematch

Basically this
Not that hard to break down. Main villain is the Riddler, Batman shows up to interrogate Penguin but he isn't in the movie a lot, appears in sequels, Catwoman shows up once or twice but it's the start of the relationship, never appears out of costume, and then Firefly is like the opening action scene villain that Batman stops, or someone Penguin hires to torch a rival business or something.

Four villains doesn't mean they're all getting a ton of screen time, and it's nice to introduce people like Penguin and Catwoman now so we get more time with them, instead of how it always is with Batman films being one and done with villains.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
It feels weird to me that The Penguin could be theoretically 20 years younger than the Riddler.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're interested in adapting The Long Halloween. We'd get Robin if that's the case!
If they include Dark Victory. I usually only hear people talk about The Long Halloween as a stand-alone instead of in conjunction with its sequel.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
DMczaf

It's time!

eddie_murphy_riddler-compressed.jpg

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, going by this list, Riddler has to be the main baddie. Penguin doesn't really work as a primary opponent (he's just a mob boss), Catwoman is always a grey character, and a guy randomly burning stuff down screams b-plot or lackey.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Featuring can mean different things. It could mean Riddler ft Firefly, Catwoman, and Penguin or it could mean Riddler, Firefly, Catwoman, and Penguin. One of those is easier to pull off than the other.
For a second on screen, and then we never got any mention afterwards. :/ So maybe I should have said "acknowledge Robin for more than a second."

Or they won't even acknowledge that he was any sort of father because he has the emotional capacity of a 12-year-old or some nonsense.
Does them mentioning Harley killed one in Suicide Squad count as a mention?

This is my hope. A scenario where there's 4 villains but only one real one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Penguin might actually be the main bad guy in this film, considering he's been "confirmed" to be in this film since Reeves was announced as director.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Does them mentioning Harley killed one in Suicide Squad count as a mention?
Oh haha I didn't watch Suicide Squad so I didn't know anyone verbally mentioned a Robin. Then yeah, maybe we're actually inching towards including one of the Robins.