• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
DMczaf

It's time!

eddie_murphy_riddler-compressed.jpg

In a cat's eyes, all things belong to cats.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, let's start with....one?
Batman Begins had three. Ra's, Falcone, Scarecrow

The trick is to not make every one a central villain like Spiderman 3 or the Schumacher movies tried

Have one be the main antagonist, the others be supporting characters. In Batman Begins, Ra's and the League were the main antagonists, the mob existed to further Bruce's development (ie the criminal element he didn't understand), Scarecrow was a secondary threat that tied back to the League as the larger threat

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh haha I didn't watch Suicide Squad so I didn't know anyone verbally mentioned a Robin. Then yeah, maybe we're actually inching towards including one of the Robins.
Oh it wasn't verbal. It was on her intro flash screen and if you blinked you missed it.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Or they won't even acknowledge that he was any sort of father because he has the emotional capacity of a 12-year-old or some nonsense.
If they include Dark Victory. I usually only hear people talk about The Long Halloween as a stand-alone instead of in conjunction with its sequel.
It's odd how Dark Victory is rarely acknowledged. Like Long Halloween, it's got lovely artwork. I love Tim Sale's Robin.

All I've ever wanted from a live-action movie is a story that focuses on Batman and Robin's relationship. Dick's origin story would be ideal; but fan's hate live-action origins stories so what do I even know? IMO, The Bat-family will always be the best part of the Batman character.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
If it's actually a detective story, there has to be multiple suspects.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
So it's a retread of the horrible Schumacher films. However capable of an actor he is, Pattinson is not Batman, certainly not in the way Bale or even Affleck were. This film is shaping up to be a pass.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This can work, see Batman Arkham Origins (I know it's a game but still).

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Zac Efron - Riddler
James Corden - Penguin
Emilia Clarke - Catwoman
Shia Lebeouf - Firefly

Perfect casting for ERA!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Riddler as the main antagonist is like the perfect villain to use if you want to present Batman as a detective. That's a promising sign.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like one of those movies that has a terrible script so they are throwing the kitchen sink in.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Oh wow, I was REALLY hoping that they'd include villains we've seen dozens of times over the course of the last 20 years! HOW EXCITING!

This is why I'll always love Batman Begins the most. It at least had newer villains in the spotlight. There's so much there, I really don't want to see these people...AGAIN. Firefly is cool, but won't get much attention with the rest of this cast. At least it doesn't have the Joker in it.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
It's odd how Dark Victory is rarely acknowledged. Like Long Halloween, it's got lovely artwork. I love Tim Sale's Robin.

All I've ever wanted from a live-action movie is a story that focuses on Batman and Robin's relationship. Dick's origin story would be ideal; but fan's hate live-action origins stories so what do I even know? IMO, The Bat-family will always be the best part of the Batman character.
Besides Dick Grayson inclusion, Dark Victory feels very similar to The Long Halloween. I'm actually not a fan of Jeph Loeb's writing in general. Hush, The Long Halloween, and Dark Victory all smash together in my memory. Tim Sale's art is amazing though. The splash page of everyone looking down at Dick's parents and Bruce looking up at Dick is one of my favorite panels of all time.

100% agreed with the bolded. I would cry if they announced a Dick origin story that takes its cues from Robin's Reckoning, Dark Victory, and the various other retellings we've gotten in comic and animated form.

So it's a retread of the horrible Schumacher films. However capable of an actor he is, Pattinson is not Batman, certainly not in the way Bale or even Affleck were. This film is shaping up to be a pass.
How do you know this without seeing the movie?

Rickelodeon

Oct 25, 2017
normal movies typically have more than 4 characters

Im not sure what the worry is in this case just cause they're "bad guys". they're probably all gonna be connected somehow, and i doubt firefly gets more a role than just being a henchman for a 5 min setpiece or w/e

Best batman stories in comics/cartoons etc. usually have multiple villians anyways

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
Riddler could be a great recurring villain for a series of Bat films, especially if they lean into stuff like his Zero Year interpretation.

"So it's a retread of the horrible Schumacher films. However capable of an actor he is, Ledger is not Joker, certainly not in the way Nicholson or even Hamill were. This film is shaping up to be a pass."

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Firefly will be a goon and dealt with quickly. It's really the Penguin/Riddler show and Catwoman as an ongoing female lead. I trust Reeves to balance them out

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought rewriting the script for years was usually a strong sign of a bad script.

Not necessarily, if it's done before actual production begins. So many scripts are rushed and then the principal photography is a mess as a result. In this case I think the script could be really solid.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Catwoman is going to be in the ally role and Firefly is likely taking the henchmen role, so that only leaves Penguin and Riddler as main villains, which is completely manageable.

Also, it's not like Penguin or Riddler have to be villains. Penguin has been a neutral party in the comics before, acting as an informant for Batman, and face-turn detective Riddler was probably the most interesting he's ever been.

So, while this looks like a lot on paper, it's fine as long as they keep the focus on one or two villains, with the rest being side characters/minion.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Could work. I mean The Dark Knight had 3 villians in the movie. Firefly will probably be the throwaway villain and Catwoman will be the romantic interest.

The question is how they're gonna make Riddler and Penguin fit together.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Besides Dick Grayson inclusion, Dark Victory feels very similar to The Long Halloween. I'm actually not a fan of Jeph Loeb's writing in general. Hush, The Long Halloween, and Dark Victory all smash together in my memory. Tim Sale's art is amazing though. The splash page of everyone looking down at Dick's parents and Bruce looking up at Dick is one of my favorite panels of all time.

100% agreed with the bolded. I would cry if they announced a Dick origin story that takes its cues from Robin's Reckoning, Dark Victory, and the various other retellings we've gotten in comic and animated form.

How do you know this without seeing the movie?
Yeah, i'm not the biggest fan of Jeph Loeb but he seems to team up with Tim Sale quite often and it's given us some beautiful moments like the one you referenced.

Using Robin's Reckoning as reference point could work too if WB is too concerned about "mature" audiences who might turn their nose up at a child-aged super hero. Pattinson's Batman might seem too young to have an adult Robin/Dick Grayson, though.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They'll have to update this

Pretty...fishy what happened to me on that ladder. Where there's a fish there must be a penguin!

But wait! It happened at sea! Sea? C for Catwoman!

It all adds up to a sinister riddle...riddle-er. Riddler!

My favorite show got canceled last night. *snaps fingers* Firefly!

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Telltale's interpretation of The Riddler in their Batman adventure game: A sadistic criminal whose riddles are combined with death traps out of The Saw franchise. Something like that could work in a Snyder-verse Batman film.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not like you need to give equal time to every villainous character in a movie, especially Firefly who is very much a henchman character.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Guys, guys, guys, how is Spider-Man gonna be good when it has Hydro Man, Sand Man, Magma Man, AND Mysterio in it?!?!?!?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
For those who don't know Firefly, he is the Rocketeer but as a pyromaniac. He's great.

These are villains picked to highlight Batman's skill as a detective. Here's my guess for the first act. Investigating Firefly's arson crime scenes will be how he first hooks up with Gordon. I bet we don't see Firefly at first and Batman is the one who realizes that the odd clues they've been finding indicate their arsonist can fly. This investigation leads him to Penguin, established crime boss, but even though they know he's connected to Firefly, the cops can't touch him. So Gordon sends in Batman. That's how you do early Batman without doing all the training, make it mostly Gordon's perspective at first. Also if they don't set a big battle with Firefly in the Iceberg Lounge, they are crazy. I don't know how you can have Firefly and Penguin in the same movie and not do this, so I bet it happens.

Then Riddler as the main villain in the second and third acts. Gordon and Batman working together to solve the riddles and take him down.

Not sure how Catwoman fits, but doing her arc as a three-movie thing is the smart move. Only way to do the character justice imho.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Could work. I mean The Dark Knight had 3 villians in the movie. Firefly will probably be the throwaway villain and Catwoman will be the romantic interest.

The question is how they're gonna make Riddler and Penguin fit together.
Penguin is the man with his ear to the underground. He's the devil Batman makes a deal with to get info on the Riddler. Like how Ethan Hunt will work with a smuggler or crime lord or whatnot to get a lead on his main target

Also Riddler's schemes could be messing up Penguin's revenue, so of course he wants that nuance dealt with.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Arkham games show this can work.

After the emphasis on "realism" in the Nolan films I'm kinda ready for a more ... "comic book-ey" Batman film. Not Joel Schumacher silly but again the Arkham games would be a good reference point.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Well, by putting them all in the movie, guess when they don't greenlight anything else, at least we will have seen them.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how Catwoman fits, but doing her arc as a three-movie thing is the smart move. Only way to do the character justice imho.
She's the femme fatale secretly working with Riddler to distract Batman, but who's also using the Riddler's schemes to suit her own ends.

Or maybe she's tracking down Firefly as well, for revenge, so she collides with Batman on that front

Oct 25, 2017
Penguin is the man with his ear to the underground. He's the devil Batman makes a deal with to get info on the Riddler. Like how Ethan Hunt will work with a smuggler or crime lord or whatnot to get a lead on his main target

Also Riddler's schemes could be messing up Penguin's revenue, so of course he wants that nuance dealt with.
Half the time Riddler is portrayed as a vindictive man-child so if this movie ended up being about some war between Riddler and Penguin that is brewing I wouldn't even be surprised