• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Not that hard to break down. Main villain is the Riddler, Batman shows up to interrogate Penguin but he isn't in the movie a lot, appears in sequels, Catwoman shows up once or twice but it's the start of the relationship, never appears out of costume, and then Firefly is like the opening action scene villain that Batman stops, or someone Penguin hires to torch a rival business or something.

Four villains doesn't mean they're all getting a ton of screen time, and it's nice to introduce people like Penguin and Catwoman now so we get more time with them, instead of how it always is with Batman films being one and done with villains.

Right.

Although the comparison isn't 1:1, you can look at something like Captain American Winter Solider, which had four villains (Winter Soilder, Zola, Crossbones, Pierce), and see how to still make an intimate conflict that isn't overstuffed.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Using Robin's Reckoning as reference point could work too if WB is too concerned about "mature" audiences who might turn their nose up at a child-aged super hero. Pattinson's Batman might seem too young to have an adult Robin/Dick Grayson, though.
He's actually pretty close to the age for it, especially if you have Dick starting as Robin at 12 instead of younger. Bruce fosters Dick pretty early in his life, in his late-twenties at most.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It'll never happen but i'd be so down for P.I. good-guy Riddler.

An old Hollywood-style crime thriller starring Dawyn Cooke's Catwoman needs to be in production.

ZbjENV8.jpg

He's actually pretty close to the age for it, especially if you have Dick starting as Robin at 12 instead of younger. Bruce fosters Dick pretty early in his life, in his late-twenties at most.
For whatever reason, DCAU Batman always reads older to me. Maybe it's Conroy's voice.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I guess if ths is true maybe Rami Malak as Riddler, like an evil version of his Mr Robot character since he's popular at the moment. Andy Serkis as cockney Penguin, or someone creepy and dark haired like Javier Bardem. For Catwoman, Felicity Jones would be an obvious choice but they might go more left field like Jodie Comer. Probably very wrong.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
People scared by this don't seem to grasp how Gotham's criminal underworld is like an ecosystem of its own, with factions constantly pushing and pulling at one another. Just because these characters might be in it doesn't mean they all bare the same importance. Selina's relationship to Batman is entirely different to Firefly. You think Firefly is gonna warrant some important character arc? He's a cartoonish pyromaniac with a jetpack who is there to get punched.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Homecoming had Vulture, Shocker, Tinkerer, and Scorpion.
Into the Spiderverse had Kingpin, Prowler, Octopus, Tombstone, Scorpion, and Green Goblin.

Lots of villains isn't a problem.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
The casting call listing any ethnicity for the roles makes me feel like they might pick some unconventional choices, at least for one of the roles. Might get something like Gugu Mbatha Raw or Janelle Monae for Catwoman. I remember reading they were being considered for Birds of Prey.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like people are conflating Villains with Primary antagonist. Batman Begins has multiple villains in it and that seemed to work.

This won't be any different. Firefly seems like a villain Batman foils in the first 10 minutes of the movie. At least I hope so.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Penguin will just be the Mobster stand in the first film of these movies have (like Falcone). Probably recurring role through trilogy. Riddler main villain.

Catwoman and Firefly are working for one or the other. Act as "muscle" since the other two aren't known for fighting. Catwoman gets redemption arc, Firefly a roadblock onto the way to his boss like Shocker from Far From Home without much development.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna assume people complaining about multiple villains have never actually read a Batman comic. If it's anything like the Long Halloween (one of Reeves favorite stories) this isn't going to be an issue.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Cool. I want it to be like the new Spider-Man and have them give shine to some of the villains we haven't seen in the most recent films. Shouldn't be joker, twoface and the usual suspects all the time. No doubt Catwoman will be an antihero.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, Firefly isn't a character I ever expected to see in a movie. I'm interested... I'm also thinking this is leading to Hush.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
If true, then in all likelihood:

Firefly will be a glorified henchman, or a five-minute thing where Batman takes him down in the first act.
Catwoman will be an anti-hero or will turn before the climax.
So, really there are only going to be two villains, and one of them could easily be a supporting villain--like Batman interrogates Penguin for information on Riddler, or Riddler is manipulating Penguin for his resources.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly, i think Nicholas Hoult would work as the Riddler, they would likely go with a younger actor to match Bruce - as much as i would love to see David Tennant as The Riddler i have my doubts it will happen

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Oscar Isaac as riddler maybe? Didn't they straight up allude to josh gad as penguin already?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So catwoman will be Batman's ally I am predicting

Firefly may last first part of the movie

Riddler + penguin combo!

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they actively trying to be worse than the amazing Spider-Man 2?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The casting call listing any ethnicity for the roles makes me feel like they might pick some unconventional choices, at least for one of the roles. Might get something like Gugu Mbatha Raw or Janelle Monae for Catwoman. I remember reading they were being considered for Birds of Prey.
They just brought back Selilna being (half) Latina in the comics, so it'd be neat if they did that.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I don't like this mindset that comic book movies seem to have instilled that each movie needs to be about one or at max two villains.

My favorite part about Batman is the number of villains in Gotham, and Batman's familiarity with them. Not every villain needs to be "the big bad", with a full origin story and the whole movie focusing on them. It'd be cool to see Bats on patrol encountering some name villains, or do something cool like throw a monkeywrench in someone's plans later in the movie by having another villain's plans overlap and suddenly have them be in the movie.

I think Batman and his villains are known enough that we don't need an origin story or to spend a lot of time focusing on explaining who they are. Riddler, Penguin, and Catwoman are household names, and Firefly is pretty self-explanatory.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People scared by this don't seem to grasp how Gotham's criminal underworld is like an ecosystem of its own, with factions constantly pushing and pulling at one another. Just because these characters might be in it doesn't mean they all bare the same importance. Selina's relationship to Batman is entirely different to Firefly. You think Firefly is gonna warrant some important character arc? He's a cartoonish pyromaniac with a jetpack who is there to get punched.
I don't like this mindset that comic book movies seem to have instilled that each movie needs to be about one or at max two villains.

My favorite part about Batman is the number of villains in Gotham, and Batman's familiarity with them. Not every villain needs to be "the big bad", with a full origin story and the whole movie focusing on them. It'd be cool to see Bats on patrol encountering some name villains, or do something cool like throw a monkeywrench in someone's plans later in the movie by having another villain's plans overlap and suddenly have them be in the movie.

I think Batman and his villains are known enough that we don't need an origin story or to spend a lot of time focusing on explaining who they are. Riddler, Penguin, and Catwoman are household names, and Firefly is pretty self-explanatory.

Yup. There is no need to cram origin stories for any of these characters into the movie. I think this approach would've worked better with Affleck though. An older Batman would already be familiar with all of these guys.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Meh if true. I want a detective story, or something akin to what Scott Snyder is doing with Last Knight on Earth. Not villain of the day formulaic Gotham type silliness.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so we're just saving time and jumping straight to the Spider-Man 3 bullshit.
Looking forward to Andrew Garfield as Bruce Wayne.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Meh if true. I want a detective story, or something akin to what Scott Snyder is doing with Last Knight on Earth. Not villain of the day formulaic Gotham type silliness.

Supposedly detective Batman is exactly the idea. Believe the director has even said as much. I am sure there will be a main villain, with the others being window dressing. I mean, we all fucking love the Long Halloween. It is a great detective story, and is filled with the rogues gallery. It can be done.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
What's stopping it from being a detective story? Like half of those villains do their own thing. With catwoman and penguin more likely of the 4 to help batman in their own way. Would love to see club owner penguin.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
So they could be like a super villain mafia? I think that'd a pretty cool idea.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For the issues that the Gotham show had, their depiction of Firefly was not one of them. She was fuckin awesome.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Don't care about Catwoman and Penguin, but hell yes to Firefly! Would much rather have Firefly and Firebug together but I'm happy Firefly is in.