• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lucas_hood

Mar 20, 2018
I am down for this..

Just do the "origin" in the opening credits and let's get it popping...

I got faith in this...

My boy, firefly, gonna get his shine on....

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Sounds like a lot but they could make it work.
I'm assuming Firefly will probably be introduced in the first 10 minutes and gets beat by Batman shortly after.
Maybe Riddler and Penguin team up and Catwoman is in a villain-turned-hero role?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Catwoman makes sense as the romantic interest.
Firefly as a goon for cool fights. Not much need to build him up as a character. Just have him burn dudes and fly.
Riddler and Penguin can establish the divide between the gimmick villains and the mob-like ones. Ridder has more theatrics and has a sense of fun/thrill-seeking while the Penguin just wants money and power.

Reeves is good at juggling multiple conflicts based on his Apes films. Hopefully it continues with his Batman.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm done with solo batman movies. not another origin story. Why cant we have a good bat family movie? not rehash the same garbage we seen the last 30 years.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm done with solo batman movies. not another origin story. Why cant we have a good bat family movie? not rehash the same garbage we seen the last 30 years.
But this isn't that? We're finally getting a movie about an established Batman working in a Gotham with a rogues gallery

Reeves is good at juggling multiple conflicts based on his Apes films. Hopefully it continues with his Batman.
True. Dawn did a great job at meshing the apes story with the humans

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well there is 3 movies sooo 2 great ones, 1 decent. So they are turning course, but it's on you if you are gonna keep holding to the snyder stuff when he's nolonger there. We'll see if they can maintain thjs with Joker in October and WW in the summer.
There's Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, Justice League, Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam Thats 3/6. 2 being great films, the other being decent. So there's a 50/50 chance that this will be bad film.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Of course Firefly isn't going to be a main villain lmao, he'll be a flunky or a one and done.

Make Riddler the main villain, Catwoman an anti-hero love interest, Firefly gets a cool action scene and Penguin is in the background getting set up for future movies. It's not complicated or over stuffed.

There's Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, Justice League, Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam Thats 3/6. 2 being great films, the other being decent. So there's a 50/50 chance that this will be bad film.
That's not how that works, at all.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't really make sense. I guess if everything was by the same director that would make more sense. Which in this case it's not, soooo. Also your math is off.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
9167B7EbKHL._SX425_.jpg

spiderman3poster9010__55281.1519945026.jpg
Why do people always jump to the worst possible conclusion based on limited information?

Here, this is a movie that had a shit ton of villains and worked out well.

066953.jpg

Besides, if you're doing a detective story, of course you'll need a bunch of villains to be suspects.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good idea but considering the DCU track record as of late....
Everything without Snyder has been decent to great, and Matt Reeves' last films were Dawn of/War for the Planet of the Apes. Like if those two movies don't make feel confident about his Batman film, I don't know what will.

Like Dawn juggled two narratives - the main one where the protagonists are apes - and made its antagonists feel sympathetic and understandable, while making its themes accsssible and making a horse-riding monkey dual-wielding machine guns not seem stupid but tragic and thrilling

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Cool.

So:

The Riddler to showcase his detective side.
Catwoman for love interest.
Firefly for some actual action.
Penguin for the final punch and umbrella-related gadgets.

Got it.

Oct 25, 2017
Having multiple villains doesn't mean every one is a main antagonist. Given the intent for this movie to have more of a detective noir vibe:

- Riddler as the main antagonist, matching wits with this young detective-focused Batman
- Catwoman as the femme fatale
- Penguin as the underground information broker, who Batman reluctantly goes to for details on the Riddler
- Firefly as the pre-credits villain, to establish Batman's methods and physical prowess. Maybe Riddler frees him later as a distraction, cue rematch

Basically this

Exactly. Basically Riddler is probably the lead villain, Penguin's a secondary bad guy, Catwoman's the lead female role/femme fatale of the film and Firefly is basically an extended cameo. Any other baddies that pop up in the film will also almost certainly amount to glorified cameos that Batman runs into while searching for clues to solve the new Riddler case.

Also by introducing Catwoman in the first film, she can finally carry over into the rest of the trilogy and actually develop more as a character beyond her usual "one and done" routine on the big screen.

Last edited:

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Folks who think many villains equals bad movie have no idea how a plot structure can operate.

Will wait for casting, since this doesn't really mean much solid:

"Yo we got villians!"

"... kay, what do they look like an what they doin?"

"Can't tell you."

"Alright. Can't care then."

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I'm fine with a Batman movie having multiple villains. Like they do so well in the Arkham games, I'd love for a Batman film to highlight how Batman has to deal with multiple threats from gimmick villains over the course of a single night.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Cool I am all for this especially Riddler as the main villain. I don't expect Catwoman to be a full on villain. The only thing that can make me happier would be the Batfamily.

Matt Reeves is a great so I can't wait to see this.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the Arkham Knight version of him
Firefly_batmobile_chase_feature.jpg

Not going to lie, Firefly would be a great side-villain to use for an opening action sequence for fans to get properly introduced to Battinson.

Cool I am all for this especially Riddler as the main villain. I don't expect Catwoman to be a full on villain. The only that can make me happier would be the Batfamily.

Matt Reeves is a great so I can't wait to see this.

Yeah, Selina's totally going to be an anti-hero over the course of this trilogy IMO. Really interested in seeing who they cast for her; maybe someone like Ana de Armas, Vanessa Kirby, Dakota Johnson or Zoe Kravitz? De Armas in particular bears a noticeable resemblance to how Joelle Jones draws her in the comics these days.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried. Batman Begins had Falcone, Scarecrow, Ra's Al Ghul and Mr Zasz. The Dark Knight has The Joker, Two Face, Scarecrow and the mob.

The number of villains isn't the problem it's how they are utilised.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Better than the Macauley Culkin as the Joker Rumour, because it's not as if we need to see the Joker again so soon.

Give us different ones, that's why I am excited to see the Black Mask in Birds of Prey, though I do want to see a non over the top The Riddler on the Big Screen. Oh Firefly too.

Can I just say though poor poor Robin, Teen Titans Go the Movie was spot on with that 🤣 Batman's utility belt will get a Movie before Robin does thank god he is in a live action TV show. (But now Batman is going to pop up in it every so often in S2 now? It's like they don't trust the sale of Robin on his own)

Oct 25, 2017

This is true. It's all coming from casting information.

Hopefully Harvey's just in the film as Harvey Dent and his turn into Two-Face happens in a later film. Let fans get to see Harvey and Bruce/Batman's friendship grow and develop over the course of a film or two and then break everyone's hearts as his downfall kicks in... it's the sort of material that Reeves shines with as a filmmaker.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Hopefully Harvey's just in the film as Harvey Dent and his turn into Two-Face happens in a later film. Let fans get to see Harvey and Bruce/Batman's friendship grow and develop over the course of a film or two and then break everyone's hearts as his downfall kicks in... it's the sort of material that Reeves shines with as a filmmaker.

Yea that's entirely possible. He'll be Dent, they're just casting him as "Two Face" as maybe that's how people know him the best.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of origins, I've been listening to the Podcast for batrankings, where they are watching the original Animated Series and I noticed that they don't really DO batman's origins. There is one flash back tied to a hallucination a few episodes in, but besides that they skip right over that shit and I don't think anyone was worse for wear over it.

There is just no reason for rehashing origin plots for these major heroes anymore, and really hasn't for nearly 30 years... hope screen writers will finally catch on to that.

As for overvillianing this movie, it's going to depend on how long the movie is, and whether there will be a main villian to focus on. I think it's fine if you have 5 villians as long as you don't try and origin story each one, and you focus mainly on one and the rest play more supporting roles.

The problem with Spider Man 3 is that every villian was it's own threat (including the existential stuff) none of it mashed well.