• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
Batman Begins had five villains. It didn't feel over stuffed. It all about how the film features them.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Im totally fine with all of this as long as there are no origins at all.

I want a lived in Gotham where the Riddler is back and Batman and Penguin and Catwoman are all already established and have dealt with each other before.

Don't waste a minute of this film with any origins. Just jump in.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Sounds like they are going all in with the Rogue Gallery. It will definitely be overstuffed, but there needs to be suspects to sell the mystery/detective angle

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they are going all in with the Rogue Gallery. It will definitely be overstuffed, but there needs to be suspects to sell the mystery/detective angle

Nah, not necessarily. It's all about the execution.

For instance, as ManaByte and I were discussing earlier, Harvey might not even be Two Face yet in the film and it's just a basic casting general line or something and Catwoman is almost definitely going to be an anti-hero/the female lead of the film. So that alone reduces the Rogues Gallery down to closer to four baddies...

And then consider that Firefly and Mad Hatter will probably amount to just glorified cameos more than anything else. They're not main villain material for a film at this point, so they're going to be underlings under the Riddler and/or Penguin or suspects Batman runs into along the way for clues.

And suddenly we're down to one or two main villains with the Riddler and Penguin. It all comes down to the structuring.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a proper build-up of Bruce and Dent's relationship before the inevitable tragedy would be great.

Part of me really wants Reeves to save that for the third film in his trilogy. It'd be heart-wrenching as fans go into the theater for the second and third films knowing that Harvey's going to fall apart at some point, but possibly not being quite sure when.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Endgame came out 2 months ago, Captain Marvel 3 months ago. Far From Home is coming out soon. MCU has the quality superhero film game on lock atm.

Both were garbage imo. Especially captain marvel. I fail to see how Captain Marvel is a good movie or some riveting masterpiece that cannot be topped by a DC film

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, not necessarily. It's all about the execution.

For instance, as ManaByte and I were discussing earlier, Harvey might not even be Two Face yet in the film and it's just a basic casting general line or something and Catwoman is almost definitely going to be an anti-hero/the female lead of the film. So that alone reduces the Rogues Gallery down to closer to four baddies...

And then consider that Firefly and Mad Hatter will probably amount to just glorified cameos more than anything else. They're not main villain material for a film at this point, so they're going to be underlings under the Riddler and/or Penguin or suspects Batman runs into along the way for clues.

And suddenly we're down to one or two main villains with the Riddler and Penguin. It all comes down to the structuring.
You know how in detective movies or crime thrillers, the investigators often will talk with/meet/interrogate people they're familiar with or who have notoriety in the story's setting? Replace those thriller archetypes with Batman rogues

Oct 25, 2017
You know how in detective movies or crime thrillers, the investigators often will talk with/meet/interrogate people they're familiar with or who have notoriety in the story's setting? Replace those thriller archetypes with Batman rogues

Exactly. If anything, the complaints are going to wind up being that Reeves didn't develop enough of the villains or that he focused on familiar faces too much versus the lower-tier baddies.

Batman gonna be in Arkham interviewing every rogue and it's gonna be glorious.

Can you imagine if one of the sequels is even loosely related to Arkham City and we get Andy Serkis as Dr. Hugo Strange as the main villain for that film?

This ain't no place for no hero...

Jun 12, 2019
Part of me really wants Reeves to save that for the third film in his trilogy. It'd be heart-wrenching as fans go into the theater for the second and third films knowing that Harvey's going to fall apart at some point, but possibly not being quite sure when.

agreed with this and the other post that Rogue Gallery may not be 4 but less then 4 depending on whether the characters are rogues already or developing in that direction through the movie series. I hope they'll take your approach. the more we are invested the more some falls for grace will be devastating.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Here we gooooo...

Spider-Man-3_610.jpg

+1 more!

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
I just want a legit detective story. Yes you can have his rogues, but I hope the real villain is behind it all.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Here we gooooo...

Spider-Man-3_610.jpg

+1 more!
Spiderman 3 tried to make each of those a main antagonist.

Movies like Winter Soldier and Batman Begins have shown how you can concise stories with multiple villains. Batman Begins had Ra's, Scarecrow, and Falcone, with a Zsasz cameo; Winter Soldier had Bucky, Hydra/Pierce, and Crossbones.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Give me the movie version of BTAS "Almost got 'Im" episode and this could work perfectly.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of faith in Reeves and his vision. He's said from the beginning this was going to be more of a noir detective story and the rogues were going to be involved. I'm expecting a lot of Batman going around Gotham interrogating some of his villains to get down to the bottom of whatever mystery he has to solve.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I have a lot of faith in Reeves and his vision. He's said from the beginning this was going to be more of a noir detective story and the rogues were going to be involved. I'm expecting a lot of Batman going around Gotham interrogating some of his villains to get down to the bottom of whatever mystery he has to solve.
You're right, I wasn't thinking right. Totally forgot Nolan had additional villains alongside the main big bad.

Sounds good, always wanted noir detective bats on the big screen. More cerebral and less action set pieces.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have one villain per movie. Too many is giving me Joel Schumacher flashbacks.

It ultimately depends on how they're being used. For example, if all the major villains are pooling their resources to take out the Bat. They did that in the '66 movie and a serious take on that could be really interesting. Similarly, someone could be taking all these major villains out and Bats needs to figure out who it is, like Mask of the Phantasm.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone: we want a lived in Gotham

WB plans movie about a Gotham that already has a bunch of villains and a Batman a few years into his job.

Everyone: No please only one villain

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone: we want a lived in Gotham

WB plans movie about a Gotham that already has a bunch of villains and a Batman a few years into his job.

Everyone: No please only one villain

People who are worried about multiple villains have probably only consumed the live action Batman films and nothing else. That's not me shitting on casuals btw. It's just that the movies have never presented a lived in Gotham before (for instance, the only villain that carried over from one movie to the next was Scarecrow and those were basically cameos).

Last edited:

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
People who are worried about multiple villains have probably only consumed the live Batman action films and nothing else. That's not me shitting on casuals btw. It's just that the movies have never presented a lived in Gotham before (for instance, the only villain that carried over from one movie to the next was Scarecrow and those were basically cameos).

Yeah pretty much. If it is a detective story he probably visit and meets with these characters in Arkham and people like firefly are intro one offs or lackeys

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
People who are worried about multiple villains have probably only consumed the live Batman action films and nothing else. That's not me shitting on casuals btw. It's just that the movies have never presented a lived in Gotham before (for instance, the only villain that carried over from one movie to the next was Scarecrow and those were basically cameos).
Also knee-jerk Spiderman 3 and Schumacher fears, as if the mere concept of multiple villains was the reason those movies were bad and not the execution of that concept

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like a The RAID style Batman movie where he's Batman the whole time. Just going through the asylum fighting one super villain after the other.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely doing Hush. There's just too many villians for it not to be leading to somewhere and it's curious they already announced it's a trilogy so we can expect a multiple movie story arc.

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely doing Hush. There's just too many villians for it not to be leading to somewhere and it's curious they already announced it's a trilogy so we can expect a multiple movie story arc.

Nah, if anything it sounds like this film will be a bit closer to The Long Halloween. But yeah, we're in for something grand with this trilogy if Reeves keeps up with the scale of the Rogues Gallery in each of his films.

Maybe he'll save Joker for the last film and we finally get a loose adaptation of A Serious House on Serious Earth as the trilogy's conclusion?

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense they're would be so many villains. If this is indeed a detective mystery story, Batman would look at multiple suspects.

Can't wait to see a lived in Gotham.

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense they're would be so many villains. If this is indeed a detective mystery story, Batman would look at multiple suspects.

Can't wait to see a lived in Gotham.

Yep, it's not like Mad Hatter or Firefly will ever be vying against Penguin or Riddler for the "main antagonist" spot. Chances are they'll amount to glorified cameos via Batman looking at potential suspects for the central narrative crime and action set pieces to help energize the film as the case progresses.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope Batman has the same feeling I do when I forget that door in Arkham City is a Mad Hatter trap. Noooooo, not this again.

Oct 27, 2017
It's odd how Dark Victory is rarely acknowledged. Like Long Halloween, it's got lovely artwork. I love Tim Sale's Robin.

All I've ever wanted from a live-action movie is a story that focuses on Batman and Robin's relationship. Dick's origin story would be ideal; but fan's hate live-action origins stories so what do I even know? IMO, The Bat-family will always be the best part of the Batman character.

To piggy back on this, even since I watched Logan, I've always thought that the next big step for Batman movie stars would be a portrayal of a realistic Robin, ala how folks were amazed by watching Laura/x23 kick ass and take names.