• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Interesting words from Alanah Pearce today at Kinda Funny. Very curious to see how the PS5 reveal stream will be.

According to developers, Sony/SIE has already tried to make some presentations focused on the PS5 this year but people "from above" refused because they want something very, very professional that would involve recording in a studio with a team of 25 or 30 people and not something recorded with "at home quality stuff". She believes that maybe the event will be "huge" with a lot of games if they really kept this mentality.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping that means more of a E3 2016 vibe, and not the (arguably) overproduced feeling they sort of gave off the years after.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
That's good to hear. I just hope it's not a stream and pre recorded instead. I want best video quality.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I get where they're coming from tbh, having production valuez™ gives it a sense of gravitas. I know that Inside Xbox wasn't meant to be huge but Aaron Greenberg with his $1 Walmart webcam just made the whole thing seem like a joke lol.

I'm assuming the Xbox first-party showcase in July is going to look a lot more professional.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Now I really want to see what the canceled unprofessional presentation was going to be.
Remember that event where Shawn Layden just sat at a couch and was hilariously sarcastic every so often?
Is that a dig at the Xbox event?
Nah, I don't think so. This is reportedly the same reason Nintendo has pushed back any idea of a Direct (they're unable to put together the connective tissue between games).

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
my theory is that sony isn't satisfied with the low bit rate and poor compression algorithms used by major streaming services like twitch & YouTube as they dont feel that viewers get an proper impression of the footage. Therefor they are working on their own 3rd party streaming service just to broadcast PS5 related news in a a higher quality to more accurately portray how the games look like

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think by uploading the full video at a set time. Not sure why more of these "directs" don't do that. Must be some kind of limitation I guess?
They stream it so no one can skip ahead the video. This way, everyone gets the same content at the same time, simulating a live presentation.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I think by uploading the full video at a set time. Not sure why more of these "directs" don't do that. Must be some kind of limitation I guess?
I suspect Sony prefers it being more of an 'event' that everyone sees at the same pace with live reactions rather than just dumping a video online and people just skimming through it.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
my theory is that sony isn't satisfied with the low bit rate and poor compression algorithms used by major streaming services like twitch & YouTube as they dont feel that viewers get an proper impression of the footage. Therefor they are working on their own 3rd party streaming service just to broadcast PS5 related news in a a higher quality to more accurately portray how the games look like
Doesn't nintendo stream from their website

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is Alannah's track record? She loves Fable so always enjoyed seeing her on Xbox Unlocked.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I suspect Sony prefers it being more of an 'event' that everyone sees at the same pace rather than just dumping a video online and people just skimming through it.
this

look at the crazy numbers the road to ps5 stream got, it peaked at 700k on youtube alone. a video of cerny talking with a green screen behind him peaked at 700k. makes sense they're taking their time to make sure they get it right

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't even understand exactly why they feel the need to have presenters and stuff. Why not just have a video of the system, then trailers for the games with a few voice overs and stuff like that? Maybe not like super ideal and all, but I guess it feels weird to me they see the need for some grand presentation or something, especially since being kind of lowkey has been their marketing it feels like for awhile. Very odd.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Fake crowd with a green screen like the PS5 deep dive?

I uh... Think that's exactly why they want the PS5's proper reveal to be "more professional".

I get the impression from Sony that they really don't like Being Meme'd. Their widely mocked overproduced 2018 Conference was their last one before they just wholesale pulled out of attending E3 and doing conferences of that sort altogether - And, well, I suppose after the reaction to the Deep Dive in some circles they want to avoid stuff like "How I made the PS5 Deep Dive in 5 minutes in Blender" again.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just drop the video straight away. I hope they do that with State of Plays as well.

Lol, this is how someone always ends up stumbling on an unlisted video, right? But, yeah, I think the posts above make a good point - they want the concurrent views/numbers and having everyone see and experience it at the same pace. It probably does wonders for Twitter mentions too if it's done "live".

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Lol, this is how someone always ends up stumbling on an unlisted video, right? But, yeah, I think the posts above make a good point - they want the concurrent views/numbers and having everyone see and experience it at the same pace. It probably does wonders for Twitter mentions too if it's done "live".

I think they'll probably get roughly the same numbers/engagement. People would want to see this as soon as possible.