• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
It's from good ol' 4chan so take it with a grain of salt, but an anonymous poster made this claim alongside what appears to be a new promotional render:

Sega's preparing for a big Sonic reveal at SXSW that will bring most of the 3D mainline Sonic games to current and next gen consoles. See you at SXSW.

x8Umjy4.jpg

While the image looks very convincing and doesn't seem to be from any existing art (the Japanese text just says "30th anniversary collection" for anyone wondering), it's worth noting that Sonic has insanely dedicated fans who can and have put out renders of this sort of quality before, so it could very well be a hoax. Still, a collection for the 30th anniversary is a bit of a no-brainer, and the panel at SXSW is exactly the sort of place to do it - in previous years they've announced Team Sonic Racing and the Encore Mode DLC for Sonic Mania at the event.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Hmm... I guess maybe playing Sonic Heroes again would be kinda cool.

SA1 on PC with the Dreamcast mods will still be the definitive version unless they remake it

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
was thinking yesterday that it would be nice to have a some of these Adventure games on Switch... as long as it's good ports...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Classic Sonic model seems a little different compared to the one used in Generations and Forces, though it looks way better with sharper spikes and a better face.

In a weird way I don't know if that makes it more believable or less.

I'd be all for it though, and I figure we'll get some sort of anniversary thing for next year - it's a big one.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If this has the Adventure games, Heroes, Unleashed & Generations at 60fps, and Colors at 60fps, I'm sold.

Also, if Lost World is included, please let the Switch version keep the Nintendo content.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Secret Rings + Colors + Generations + Unleashed are all I need. But they can always throw in Adventure games too.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would be weird for it to be a 30th anniversary collection and not have the genesis titles.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The Classic Sonic model seems a little different compared to the one used in Generations and Forces, though it looks way better with sharper spikes and a better face.

In a weird way I don't know if that makes it more believable or less.

I'd be all for it though, and I figure we'll get some sort of anniversary thing for next year - it's a big one.

Seems to be based on this shot from the Mania intro. Modern Sonic has a slightly improved look too.

078f1d2bcf0a6deffb341b74a7d0a528.jpg

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic 06
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Lost World

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What goes up must come down

Yet my feet don't touch the ground

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, the only thing that will potentially suck is that they will most likely use the inferior DX version of Adventure.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Give me a Dimps handheld collection too now that the MMZ remake shows you can do good transfers of GBA/DS.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Include the 3D bit from Sonic Jam.

But yeah a Sonic "30th anniversary collection" that doesn't include all the Mega Drive games would be a travesty.

I don't think any of the 3D games are great, but Sonic Heroes would be alright to get on modern platforms. I get why it wasn't a favourite at release, but I actually think it holds up better than most of the other 3D games, several of which border on unplayable.

Edit: I wonder if they could include a version of Sonic 3D: Director's Cut

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I figure the Genesis games would be in just 'cuz at this point. Maybe not 3 & Knuckles, unless everyone going "actually these non-MJ tracks are aight" a few months back changed their minds.

I'd be most excited if the handheld stuff was in - make it definitive and throw in Pocket Adventure and Battle and the pinball game that had Samba de Amigo in it

Seems to be based on this shot from the Mania intro. Modern Sonic has a slightly improved look too.

078f1d2bcf0a6deffb341b74a7d0a528.jpg

Was wondering why it looked so familiar

This points to it being real IMO, or as you said a very, very dedicated fan (which the Sonic fandom is filled with)

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
So just the 3D Sonic games? None of the Mega Drive ones?

If it's the Sonic 30th Anniversary collection. Keep in mind the first Sonic game on Genesis came out in 1991, So the timing would suggest a 2021 release.

It wouldn't make sense to signify a 30th anniversary without factoring the origin of the series and only considering the 3D releases.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
Are people here seriously clamoring for re-releases of 06, Secret Rings and Black Knight? Like do you guys actually _like_ those games, or is this some sort of weird preservationist angle? Those games are pretty unanimously hated, I thought.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
I would be ecstatic to be able to play Sonic Heroes on current gen. I think it's my favorite 3D Sonic game, followed by Colors. So being able to play them both would be a real treat.

Oct 31, 2017
I would love an Unleashed that doesn't run like ass and has some QoL stuff

I've been dying to play Lost World

Colors deserves an HD port

And there's a very small chance but I would also love a Zero Gravity port :(

Oct 28, 2017
The 3D version of Sonic Mega Collection?! Holy shit give it to me now!

Please please please don't omit Sonic 06. I'm deadly serious. I don't care how panned it is please don't ignore its existence.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be wary about buying into this. Sonic fans are notoriously good at making official looking renders/hoaxes.

There's also a post in that thread that dissects why this is most likely fake.

XKPTfCb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.