• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
"Ray trace"….hmmm. I'm willing to say he may not know exactly what he is talking about. Surely Sega, Sony or Microsoft would've mentioned it at some point it if the game had raytracing. It's a pretty big deal since so few console games support raytracing so far. Could go either way but I'd be very surprised if Sonic team added raytracing to their proprietary engine.
Who knows? He did mention other visual options like 3d clouds movement. With that said, the best we can do is wait until they actually confirm the specifics.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 game is probably loaded with effects, would be cool if it supports RT. Maybe they'll add a 60fps mode with less effects later on

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I've played 1080p games on PS5 and had no issues. Granted, many supported 120fps but I never had a problem with the resolution while playing

Deff kinda fishy that they couldn't do like 1440p or 1584p but I don't see it being unplayable or looking bad by any stretch

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
tbh it's probably best to wait for tech coverage from the likes of DF before taking this tweet as gospel. i feel like we've had several instances of inaccurate/ incomplete resolution and framerate mode values thrown about prior to big releases.
Sure, and I'm definitely not 100% confident that this will wind up being the lay of the land when it launches, but we are talking about Sonic Team here. I don't doubt that they'd launch this with a suboptimal performance profile. They haven't been delivering much in the way of visually impressive and simultaneously performant games since… well, Unleashed? And hell, Unleashed was 30 FPS.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hearing some mixed messaging for the switch version with one outlet saying the game is up to 60fps. best to wait until a more reputable source covers it

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm hearing some mixed messaging for the switch version with one outlet saying the game is up to 60fps. best to wait until a more reputable source covers it
That's honestly more unbelievable to me than the 720p, 60 FPS claim. Forces, a linear platformer, ran at 720p, 30 FPS with noticeable drops in spots. I can't imagine this somehow performing better and with such a significantly larger scale unless they're opting for an unlocked framerate which would be its own issue.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QGRwCrOjYBs

Apparently, according to this video, the game runs at 60fps on Switch?

But besides that, I'm wondering how the PS5 is locked at either 4K/30 or 1080p/60, when the Series X will apparently be able to do 4K/60 with Frontiers? Best to take this rumor as just that: a rumor, and wait for actual substantiated information and performance results to come out not long after the game does. If the game does indeed have RT, then that could explain the 1080p rumor for PS5, but again, it's best to simply wait for official information to come out for things like this.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I like how most people here are taking this as a fact. Reps at conventions aren't the best source for this kind of info especially when the game isn't even gold yet, and that's assuming the tweeter is genuine.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
People are going to hold on to Switch being potentially 60fps until they get crushed when it launches. I don't see any real reason to believe this would be 60fps? It's an open world 3rd party game.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand why Sega is intent on releasing Frontiers on Everything Everywhere All At OnceTM this holiday season. (For those keeping the score at home: PC, PS5, PS4, XSX, XBO, NSW. Six platforms, three varying power levels.) Just feels like an unforced error they aren't prioritizing certain platforms first, and then bringing the game to other platforms later. So with that in mind, the platform specs listed here do not surprise me for being lesser than what people would want and expect for the new hardware generation.

I'm really curious to see how the Switch version fares, as outside of Mania (which was handled by Tantalus), all Switch versions of multiplatform Sonic releases have been pretty lousy compared to other versions. In particular, the initial Switch release of Colors Ultimate was a unique level of trash of what was already a lackluster remaster.

Last edited:

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I still don't understand why Sega is intent on releasing Frontiers on Everything Everywhere All At OnceTM this holiday season. (For those keeping the score at home: PC, PS5, PS4, XSX, XBO, NSW. Six platforms, three varying power levels.) Just feels like an unforced error they aren't prioritizing certain platforms first, and then bringing the game to other platforms later. So with that in mind, the platform specs listed here do not surprise me for being lesser than what people would want and expect for the new hardware generation.

I'm really curious to see how the Switch version fares, as outside of Mania (which was handled by Tantalus), all Switch versions of multiplatform Sonic releases have been pretty lousy compared to other versions. The initial Switch release of Colors Ultimate in particular, was a unique level of trash of what was already a lackluster remaster.
I mean they don't really have a choice. They've got to release on Switch because that's where most sales will come from. Since, the game is multiplatform, they want it on Ps5 and XsX. However if a game is on Switch and current gen, there's no good reason for it to skip last gen so of course it's on there too. And then, in this day and age, what game skips day and date Pc release. With that said, I would've preferred they delay it so all versions could be as polished as possible.

HardinBuffalo

Feb 3, 2022

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QGRwCrOjYBs

Apparently, according to this video, the game runs at 60fps on Switch?

But besides that, I'm wondering how the PS5 is locked at either 4K/30 or 1080p/60, when the Series X will apparently be able to do 4K/60 with Frontiers? Best to take this rumor as just that: a rumor, and wait for actual substantiated information and performance results to come out not long after the game does. If the game does indeed have RT, then that could explain the 1080p rumor for PS5, but again, it's best to simply wait for official information to come out for things like this.

That channel looks like clickbait garbage preying on desperate fans. Considering Sonic Team had to use 30fps for Origin's 3D menus it would be a miracle if they hit 60 for Frontiers.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
He himself is a fan. Not surprised he's over the top excited about Frontiers, as the Sonic fan games he's working on is also combat focused.

Closer we get to release, we'll know for sure. I'd really like to hear about Deck performance.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30 FPS Sonic should never, ever, ever be a thing.

Generations was terrible on console because of this.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Oh no Sonic Team baby what is you doin'?! Those are some weak perf targets.

Absolutely CANNOT wait for Dark1x review of this. I'm almost afraid to watch it lol.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I still don't understand why Sega is intent on releasing Frontiers on Everything Everywhere All At OnceTM this holiday season. (For those keeping the score at home: PC, PS5, PS4, XSX, XBO, NSW. Six platforms, three varying power levels.) Just feels like an unforced error they aren't prioritizing certain platforms first, and then bringing the game to other platforms later.
Because then you have to market the game twice, and if the game is poorly received then any hype at all will be fizzled by the time it goes to other platforms. Most sales come from the pre-order and launch period after all.
30 FPS Sonic should never, ever, ever be a thing.

Generations was terrible on console because of this.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 game is probably loaded with effects, would be cool if it supports RT. Maybe they'll add a 60fps mode with less effects later on

This sounds more like Hopeium than anything.

I doubt they would create a whole bunch of unique special effects for PS5 and not Xbox.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Instead of 1440p or dynamic res, they chose to go with 1080p.

I refuse to believe PS5 would struggle to run this game at 60 fps at higher resolutions. Either they went with the easiest option or the game is rather unoptimized on current gen.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

I'd hold your horses for the time being. If the PC version suffers from stuttergate then it won't matter what resolution it is, it will be a horrible way to experience a Sonic game.

I'll take 1080p and a locked 60fps for a Sonic game over a stuttering 4k version any day. John from DF is clearly a big Sonic fan, so I'm confident we'll get good coverage of it close to launch. I think everyone is better off waiting for that before choosing their version especially if you're considering the Switch or PC version.

Showing 720p/30 for both docked and handheld play is a huge red flag, there's a huge performance delta between the 2 modes so that means that either:

The claim is a straight up lie.
The (already paired back visuals) will be dramatically cut down in handheld mode.
Performance will be a disaster in handheld mode.

Handheld mode always has to come with cut backs, and resolution is usually the right choice, so skipping that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Wait for official word people. These conventions are usually a good place for misinformation.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
If any of this is true this has to be one of the most unoptimised games in a good long while.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
This game isn't exactly pushing the ps5 to its limits. It should v be 1440p 60fps minimum

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I mean they don't really have a choice. They've got to release on Switch because that's where most sales will come from. Since, the game is multiplatform, they want it on Ps5 and XsX. However if a game is on Switch and current gen, there's no good reason for it to skip last gen so of course it's on there too. And then, in this day and age, what game skips day and date Pc release. With that said, I would've preferred they delay it so all versions could be as polished as possible.
They should have hired Dimps for a separate Switch game and made the game only on Xbox /PlayStation themselves imo.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I would honestly be (positively) surprised if the Switch can actually hold 720p locked but yeah these all read a bit off o.o At this point I hope that on PC the game will have a unlocked framerate and not be locked to 60fps.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I have doubts that it's 1080p and maybe just a miscommunication or misunderstanding on the source's part. 1440p seems more likely, and that is also more likely what the PS4 Pro is going to push. Then again, who knows

Fatal Nutritionist

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 18, 2022
The PS5 figure is a tad strange but not out the ordinary, I suspect that the power gap between the Xbox Series and PS5 will continue to widen as we get more games that are developed for net generation console hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the X version of the game is 4k 60fps.

But we also need to be reminded that Sonic Team has a terrible track record for optimization going all the way back to Sonic Heroes released in 2003, which is also coincidentally the best selling Sonic game in the last 19 years. Any time a Sonic Team major Sonic release seems to be technically competent it's usually because they compromised somewhere. For Forces there were many rail segments where you don't have much control of the player, and it went hard on automation and cool visual set-pieces which taxed the engine so you ended up with several small levels, the shortest levels in any Sonic game.

Here, the game doesn't look like much, passable but not mind blowing graphics, many empty patches between enemy encounters in the "open-zone" lots of resued assets and repeating animations, and the cyber stages from what we've seen so far outside of the tutorial stage which was lifted from Sonic Unleashed with a new coat of paint, also look like they are derived from Forces level design. We have also seen automation in the open zone from puzzle solving to exploration, that tall monument comes to mind.

With this, it would seem odd for the PS5 to be 1080p in order to reach 60 frames, however if the engine is unoptimized you'd likely have to have a lot more raw power to cut through its short comings and in this situation I can see the PS5 falling short on dealing with that.

About the game, I'm still concerned about several of its gameplay mechanics, the cyber stages and their lack o branching and automation, and the combat. They have still refused to give us longer videos breaking down these things less than 2 months till launch and so far we've been shown selective gameplay that tries to mask the issues from the IGN videos that haven't ever been fixed or addressed in any build shown or leaked.

Is this combat going to be good? is it filled with useless moves that are only there to pad-out the moveset? Are the enemies damage spongers, am I gong to be repeating the same moves over and over because it's the best way to fight off enemies and bosses? Are they going to do anything to make all that empty space seem full? Are enemies going to be scattered unto a giant empty space? How much of these hubs or cyber stages will be automated? Why did they add Big the Cat fishing to the game knowing full well it was not favored in SA1? Are the puzzles in the open zones going to be interesting with new ways to approach them and not feel like busywork, or will they end up as has been shown so far, slow, Sonic Boom tier, bland puzzles just to fill up game time?

More importantly the grinding, we need to know what's going on with that. How much time do you need to become stronger and to progress the game? How much time do you have to grind and/or collect things in order to move forward or effectively deal with bosses and get access to the cyberstages? This is going to be a long game with over 20 hours of playtime, but if that 20 hours is due to slow puzzles, grinding, and collecting that doesn't sound like a good time.

These questions have never changed, and Sega has not bother to address them. You then have to consider that if a lot of this isn't fixed or is worse than they seem, worst versions of the game will makes these things even worse, the switch for example.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
The PS5 figure is a tad strange but not out the ordinary, I suspect that the power gap between the Xbox Series and PS5 will continue to widen as we get more games that are developed for net generation console hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the X version of the game is 4k 60fps.

But we also need to be reminded that Sonic Team has a terrible track record for optimization going all the way back to Sonic Heroes released in 2003, which is also coincidentally the best selling Sonic game in the last 19 years. Any time a Sonic Team major Sonic release seems to be technically competent it's usually because they compromised somewhere. For Forces there were many rail segments where you don't have much control of the player, and it went hard on automation and cool visual set-pieces which taxed the engine so you ended up with several small levels, the shortest levels in any Sonic game.

Here, the game doesn't look like much, passable but not mind blowing graphics, many empty patches between enemy encounters in the "open-zone" lots of resued assets and repeating animations, and the cyber stages from what we've seen so far outside of the tutorial stage which was lifted from Sonic Unleashed with a new coat of paint, also look like they are derived from Forces level design. We have also seen automation in the open zone from puzzle solving to exploration, that tall monument comes to mind.

With this, it would seem odd for the PS5 to be 1080p in order to reach 60 frames, however if the engine is unoptimized you'd likely have to have a lot more raw power to cut through its short comings and in this situation I can see the PS5 falling short on dealing with that.

About the game, I'm still concerned about several of its gameplay mechanics, the cyber stages and their lack o branching and automation, and the combat. They have still refused to give us longer videos breaking down these things less than 2 months till launch and so far we've been shown selective gameplay that tries to mask the issues from the IGN videos that haven't ever been fixed or addressed in any build shown or leaked.

Is this combat going to be good? is it filled with useless moves that are only there to pad-out the moveset? Are the enemies damage spongers, am I gong to be repeating the same moves over and over because it's the best way to fight off enemies and bosses? Are they going to do anything to make all that empty space seem full? Are enemies going to be scattered unto a giant empty space? How much of these hubs or cyber stages will be automated? Why did they add Big the Cat fishing to the game knowing full well it was not favored in SA1? Are the puzzles in the open zones going to be interesting with new ways to approach them and not feel like busywork, or will they end up as has been shown so far, slow, Sonic Boom tier, bland puzzles just to fill up game time?

More importantly the grinding, we need to know what's going on with that. How much time do you need to become stronger and to progress the game? How much time do you have to grind and/or collect things in order to move forward or effectively deal with bosses and get access to the cyberstages? This is going to be a long game with over 20 hours of playtime, but if that 20 hours is due to slow puzzles, grinding, and collecting that doesn't sound like a good time.

These questions have never changed, and Sega has not bother to address them. You then have to consider that if a lot of this isn't fixed or is worse than they seem, worst versions of the game will makes these things even worse, the switch for example.
I don't have time to provide answers to your questions atm but several of your points have answers.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'll play in 1080p 60fps if true.

Edit: wait so series x might be 4k60? I'll play it there then.

PSO2 was not impressive in terms of IQ / FPS when I played it on series x. Are those on the same engine?

Last edited:

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The cyberspace stages seems like the weakest link in this game, the stages look so fucking basic. Generations and Colors had better stages, specially Generations, with multiple branches to go, kinda like the level design of the older games. It's the reason I enjoyed replaying them...

In Frontiers, they look as bad as Forces. They look terrible and I'm hoping it is because they're from the first island.