• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Some very recent news indicate that the movie adaptation of the "Tactical Espionage Action" is on the move, though it also seems that it's on VERY EARLY stages of development.

There's actually no reason of it still being produced other than Sony's will. Hideo Kojima may even be a consultant, but he isn't the head of the project. There are tweets with pictures of him meeting the movie director. Other than that, the most recent proof of the movie development is the concept designers exchange and profile updates.

http://savepoint.com.br/games/rumor-filme-de-metal-gear-solid-continua-em-producao/

Thread created on behalf of MongeSemNome

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Scott Eastwood pls:
metalgearhuhgnq1b.jpg

And his father for Big Boss...

Slyrelishman

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
JordanVogt-Roberts still talks about it pretty regularly. I recall him talking about going through several script revisions in an interview within the last year.

MongeSemNome

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
first, thanks to Yoshimitsu126 for making this thread. I couldn't find anyone

I refuse to believe any video game movie exists until I see a trailer.

Second, it's a really small glimpse. The artists that are mentioned on the article are all Concept artists. So that means like a LONG wait ahead of us, if Sony is still pursuing that dream, as it seems to be.

I'm more interested in WHICH MGS it would cover. I think psx's is everyone's favorite. But imagine a MGS3 movie!

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Scott Eastwood pls:
metalgearhuhgnq1b.jpg

And his father for Big Boss...
Now if only he could act.

Seriously, Scott Eastwood has all the charisma of a dead fish. Terrible in Fate of the Furious, terrible in Pacific Rim... Hollywood desperately wants him to be the next big thing, but he's only proven himself to be the next Taylor Kitsch.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Nah... Sebastian Stan should be Snake. He pulls off the grizzled veteran look while still being youngish.
CATFA-bucky.png

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
After seeing the new Avengers Trailer and Cap's look, I could ONLY see Bigg Boss -

avengers-infinity-war-sebastian-stan-teases-nomad-1056825-1280x0.jpg

So maybe Chris Evans could pull off a convincing Snake too? Maybe?

MongeSemNome

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-movie-director-re-working-script-to-mak/1100-6453046/

This is was in August, he talks about putting everything on hold until they get a script that feels right. Based on the language used I have a feeling it's pretty dead in the water.
Actually, I kinda have a newfound hope with this article. He does seem like he wants to do things right and let go off the moneybags for a moment. We're on march and the OP article mentions that they're concept artists that have just been hired. That means progress in some direction, in my book.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Convince Sony execs that they can build a MGS Cinematic Universe and they'll fast track it and green light two more movies in a week.

Also, i suppose this is worth repeating: this will never, ever work.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Having recently listened to the Kong: Skull Island commentary, the movie is definitely in the right hands. He was talking about Metal Gear influences within the movie and you'd be surprised how much is in there outside of the obvious one (Grey Fox being the ships name)

One brief shot on the tanker before they get to the island is composed exactly like the gameplay camera of the first area in Metal Gear Solid, with the rafters in the foreground and the square grid of shipping containers. The guy who did the introduction title sequence was chosen for his work on MGS titles. Long take shot where a helicopter is going down are inspired by Kojima's cinematography in phantom pain (the car crash at the beginning)

He definitely seems to know that Metal Gear shouldn't be treated like a run of the mil hollywood action/spy movie, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they do it.

Eric Peng

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
It's going to be awful. MGS is not easy to adapt at all. Add in the fact that I've given up hope of a video game move ever being good. When Duncan Jones failed (this guy is talented and passionate about the material) I knew it was basically an impossIble task to make a good video game movie.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
So how does this work if Kojima is on the consultant team while Konami has the IP license?
Or did Konami sell the right to Sony, and Sony can do WTF they want like Spiderman?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
We still don't know the cast? If no Sir Sean Connery for Big Boss (the original design was even inspired by him) then we can go look somewhere else.

Leave MGS alone.
This can't go well, the MGS universe is too complex for a movie.

This. I can't believe Kojima fell for this. He was saying this not so long ago.

Last edited:

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
!!!!!!

Solid Snake - Tom Hardy
Meryl Silverburgh - Emma Stone
Colonel Campbell - Michael Ironside
Liquid Snale - Tom Hardy?
Revolver Ocelot - Kurt Russell
Mei Ling - Claudia Kim
Otacon - Michael Cera
Vulcan Raven - Dave Bautista

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
This has been in limbo for at least 10 years. I remember people throwing around Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale as possible candidates back then. Honestly, I hope it stays in development hell with Uncharted.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
90s/early 00s John Woo could have done it. Mission Impossible 2, for all of its criticism, would have passed as a Kojima movie. The stylish action, absurd plot and melodrama, over the top badass music from Zimmer.

this is the most Hideo Kojima/MGS cutscene shit I've seen on film, so cheesy:

Vogt-Roberts doesn't even have that in him, if this ever gets made its just going to be dull as bricks.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
!!!!!!

Solid Snake - Tom Hardy
Meryl Silverburgh - Emma Stone
Colonel Campbell - Michael Ironside
Liquid Snale - Tom Hardy?
Revolver Ocelot - Kurt Russell
Mei Ling - Claudia Kim
Otacon - Michael Cera
Vulcan Raven - Dave Bautista

Actually, from that cast, only Vulvcan Raven and Mei Ling are quite close. Kurt Russel would make the perfect Old Snake. Young Snake was inspired from him when he was young including his name Snake Pliskin (Snake in all games and Iroquois Pliskin in MGS2).
But since you know movies are forbidden to have exact similarties with games, don't expect to see the exact cast of the first game and even expect some recurring characters to have their names changed even.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
have you seen kurt russell in the hateful eight? He makes a good 'whiny cowboy'...just like ocelot..

I don't doubt the acting skills of of this great actor. What I meant is the similiraties of the faces that matters the most. Sadly, he can't play young Snake anymore, since he is old. It would have been so perfect.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
I don't doubt the acting skills of of this great actor. What I meant is the similiraties of the faces that matters the most. Sadly, he can't play young Snake anymore, since he is old. It would have been so perfect.

guardians of the galaxy vol 2 features a young kurt russell so your dream is not totally dead.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they approach Metal Gear Solid with the mindset of Die Hard I think they can make a really cool movie.