• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://gearnuke.com/sony-planning-backward-compatibility-for-ps5-rumor/

Sony has registered a new patent that seems to be suggesting support of backward compatibility for the PS5. Read on see why the patent could suggest we could be getting the ability to play our PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1 games on the Playstation 5.

The patent was filed privately before, probably as a placeholder, but updated on October 2nd, 2018.

The patent titled "Remastering by emulation" is registered to Sony Interactive Entertainment America LLC, the parent company of the Playstation brand.

As summary of the patent is as follows:

Each asset such as a texture called for by legacy software such as a legacy computer game software has a unique identifier associated with it. The unique identifier can be rendered by imposing a hash on the asset, and then the asset stored with its identifier in a data structure. An artist remasters the textures for presentation on a higher resolution display than envisioned in the original software, and stores them back in the data structure with their identifiers. The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation.

Sounds awfully like Backward Compatibility doesn't it? It also seems to suggest that Sony will be foregoing the "Remaster" route that they went will the PS5. The Xbox One is held in high regard due to its massive support of Xbox and Xbox 360 games, with Sony going the same route with the PS5, it'll only be beneficial for us gamers.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I assume we'll definitely get ps4 discs playable. Whether they can extend that to older consoles' games is anyone's guess. Looks unlikely unfortunately

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
The only way I see myself getting a PS5 anywhere near launch is full backwards compatibility with at least all ps4 games.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meh, I don't care about patent. Big companies patents a shit ton of ideas that they never put into use.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Just needs to play PS4 discs and I'm happy.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
They fuckin' better. Digital purchases not being accessible in new hardware in this day and age is backwards behind the times. Times for Sony to catch up with the rest of the world.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I sure hope so for their sake.

With the importance of long-lasting GaaS games and digital ownership/ecosystem effect, BC is definitely more important than it was in the past, and Sony surely knows this too.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would be the least surprising thing to happen next gen, at least with PS4 BC. If they actually do PS1-3 BC and it's not their usual half assed setup that would be surprising.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting so all the consoles backwards compatible. I thought ps4 couldn't do it because ps3 was to hard to do that. Interesting..

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I mean they can as well just throw all their next-gen plans over board if they don't because of the work the competition is doing in this area.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
This makes sense. PS5 will be another x86 machine, so backwards compatibility is almost a given. On the other hand, remasters have been a cash cow this generation and surely they don't want to give away that potential revenue, so upgrade packages seem like the obvious path.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Being able to play old games straight from the disc with the additional benefit of being able to pay a nominal fee for updated textures, graphical features etc if you wanted it would be a perfect balance of BC and remasters in one package

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
PS2 and 3 would be fucking fantastic. 1 a'd 4 as well obviously but that's not unexpected.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
While the rumor is possibly true, this particular patent is actually talking about something that Sony is already doing in the ps4 - namely using better assets on older games. I'll find the post where this is talked about, but I believe one of games was Parappa the Rappa remastered

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a terrible article. The author should read the patent for what it contains instead of trying to twist it to fit a narrative.

It's drawn to a method for remastering PSP games for the PS4, such as PaRappa, via a combination of emulation and updated assets.

And this line is awful, demonstrating that the author doesn't have an inkling as to the patent process: "The patent was filed privately before, probably as a placeholder, but updated on October 2nd, 2018." No, the application for the patent was filed in 2016 and it was granted (approved) by the USPTO in 2018.

Last edited:

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
If they stick with and apus I don't see why it wouldn't be a thing.

Ps1-3 emulation would be fantastic though.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
I think Matt said PS5 would have BC+ which would imply it will enhance emulated games in some way. Or maybe I'm misremembering.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
This sounds very promising. Complete PS4 compatibility is absolutely essential and including PS3, PS2 and PS1 would make it a dream system.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a great way to keep the lead. Make sense for them and an is gogood for us

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
(loud cough)
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...l-usable-psp-emulator-hidden-in-ps4s-parappa/

The PS4 game in question is PaRappa the Rapper Remastered, a bare-bones, upscaled re-release of the '90s PlayStation rhythm game. Earlier this week, GBATemp user KiiWii posted his discovery that the PS4 game uses an in-built PSP emulator to run a copy of the 2007 PSP version of PaRappa rather than running new code specifically ported to the PS4.

The only apparent difference in the PS4 remaster is an included 4K texture package featuring redrawn art that makes the game look good on a modern television. We're reminded of similar fan-made texture packages that can already improve the look of everything from N64 and PS3 games to Wii U games via PC-based emulators.

I haven't read the patent, but I actually wonder if this could be invalidated due to prior art in the Dolphin project, which does something very similar (as noted in the Ars article).

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be a lot more excited if that description wouldn't also apply so well to a future PS2onPS4 style initiative.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
If it's there, ill be getting a PS5 within 6 months of launch for sure. Built up a library of PS4 games and they won't age so hard if they run better on the new hardware. I'm hoping the dashboard comes fully featured on day one. Id rather we had things like folders and themes from the start not a year or two later.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Fully expect the turn this next gen will be full BC for last gen. So if you have a PS4 GAAS game. You can plop it right into PS5 and still play it with no content loss and not having to wait for a port.

Probably the best benefit from GAAS game impact. If you want to keep games as a service for a long time. You need to support and make moving from system to system easier depending on the life of said title.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm getting PS5 on day 1 if it has BC with PS4 (ideally physical as well as digital).

Otherwise, I'm still getting it, but probably about a year after the release when it has a good stable of games.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would really like there to be some way for me to use my disc-based ps2 and ps1 games.

Edit: I would pay $599 American dollars at launch if I could play all of PlayStation history off of discs.