• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Didn't Konami squash these rumors, like heavy? What's going on here?

A US Konami PR rep denied recent rumors.

People with insider knowledge (... yeah... I know...) are still standing by at least the Japan Studio-Konami collaboration of Toyama rebooting SH for PS5. A member here at Era, who apparently has been vetted by a couple mods, has triple-downed on that project being real and will be revealed this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Konami squash these rumors, like heavy? What's going on here?

Only rumor I believe was false is the one about Sony buying Konami IPs. Still believe they got the license to make a Silent Hill game and possibly maybe two if Kojima's Silent Hills is revived.

A US Konami PR rep denied recent rumors.

People with insider knowledge (... yeah... I know...) are still standing by at least the Japan Studio-Konami collaboration of Toyama rebooting SH for PS5. A member here at Era, who apparently has been vetted by a couple mods, has triple-downed on that project being real and will be revealed this year.

Dusk Golem is a mod here. Who is the person you are referring to?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I mean...itsn't it kinda obvous?
If this was such a crazy rumor don't you think this topic would be closed weeks ago?
I don't know...it just seems like it's a possibility.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
That's Silent Hills! With an 's'!

(I sincerely hope that's not a photo taken in 2014 that he just happened to share today)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony buys some Konami IP and Nintendo doesn't buy Bomberman I'm starting a riot

The "Sony is buying Konami's IP off of them" rumor has no value at all. It's not happening. The only "credible" rumor is the idea that Sony is making a Silent Hill game FOR Konami, which is stupid and wasteful but at least somewhat believable.

Konami has zero reason to sell their IP.

Apr 27, 2018
They're still negociating but it's possible. I don't think it will happen, though, for many reasons.

Nevertheless, a PS5 VR game is very likely even if it's not Silent Hills.
IGN has been posting a lot of articles about Silent Hills, and there was speculation from both IGN and GameSpot a couple weeks ago that Silent Hills was rumored to return.

Here's the most recent article that IGN posted:
www.ign.com

How P.T. Redefined Urban Legends for the 21st Century - IGN

Despite the Internet Age doing away with most gaming mysteries, P.T. carved out a new myth for itself in the modern age.

Sorry, but it got me super curious is all. Which is why I asked.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
IGN has been posting a lot of articles about Silent Hills, and there was speculation from both IGN and GameSpot a couple weeks ago that Silent Hills was rumored to return.

www.ign.com

Despite the Internet Age doing away with most gaming mysteries, P.T. carved out a new myth for itself in the modern age.

Well, there was a rumor several weeks ago about it, but that rumor doesn't really have any credibility behind it and Konami outright said it was untrue.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The "Sony is buying Konami's IP off of them" rumor has no value at all. It's not happening. The only "credible" rumor is the idea that Sony is making a Silent Hill game FOR Konami, which is stupid and wasteful but at least somewhat believable.

Wouldn't it make more sense for Silent Hill 5 to be a street fighter type deal.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool

www.ign.com

The only thing I can 100% confirm is the SH reboot with Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka. It'll be announced in the next few months.

Oct 25, 2017

They would be making it for themselves as a reason to buy a PS. Are they just making Spider-Man for Disney and MLB The Show for MLB?

The only thing I can 100% confirm is the SH reboot with Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka. It'll be announced in the next few months.

I really hope you are right. It's another dream game for me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They would be making it for themselves as a reason to buy a PS. Are they just making Spider-Man for Disney and MLB The Show for MLB?

No, they would be doing Konami a favor by footing all of the financial bill and assuming all the risk for a project Konami should be able to make themselves, for a game that would've come out on PS5 regardless.

Wouldn't it make more sense for Silent Hill 5 to be a street fighter type deal.

Silent Hill 5 was Homecoming. This would be Silent Hill 7 if we're talking numbered releases, but I'm sure it won't be numbered if it does happen.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, there was a rumor several weeks ago about it, but that rumor doesn't really have any credibility behind it and Konami outright said it was untrue.
But Konami isn't going to outright say it's true either, and neither will they remain silent, since that will add more fuel to the fire. So they're left with only one choice: deny it for now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But Konami isn't going to outright say it's true either, and neither will they remain silent, since that will add more fuel to the fire. So they're left with only one choice: deny it for now.

There is absolutely no requirement to comment on a rumor. Silence is credibility-neutral. A 'no comment' would give more credibility to a rumor than just NOT responding.

Oct 25, 2017
No, they would be doing Konami a favor by footing all of the financial bill and assuming all the risk for a project Konami should be able to make themselves, for a game that would've come out on PS5 regardless.

If this is such a terrible deal for Sony then why are they doing it(assuming the rumor is legit)? You just described how any licensed IP works.

Why what and why does it make you sad?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Denying rumors is arguably a stupid thing to do because from now on whenever there's a rumor about Konami and they don't come out and deny it people will believe its true. They've denied a false rumor in the past, why wouldn't they do it again? is the argument everyone would be using when that happens. Just imagine if tomorrow there's a rumor that MGS6 is in development and it's aiming for a 2022 release, if Konima doesn't deny it that's exactly what will happen.
And if the rumors actually turn out to be accurate, meaning Konami lied, they can never come out and deny a rumor again because they've proven themselves untrustworthy when it comes to denying rumors.
The best thing to do about rumors is just completely ignore them. Don't confirm them if they're true (obviously lol), don't deny them even if they're false, don't say you don't comment on rumors, just don't respond at all in any way. The only rumors you should respond to are those who damage your business such as important people leaving, publicly announced titles being canceled, studios being shut down etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell knows? Wouldn't be the first stupid decision they've ever made, and definitely won't be the last.

You gotta give some better reasoning as to why this is dumb outside outside of it being Konami's responsibility.

They'd be insane not to do *something* with the SH IP at this point....

It has to actually be good though. Silent Hills was looking like that return to form. Another Downpour or Homecoming would be a waste of time. They did something with the Metal Gear and it was a joke.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with Imitation Of Life , Spider-Man is a good example of licensing an external IP to make a good first-party game and great system seller.

A Silent Hill game by Toyama's team in Japan Studio is something every fan of this series should be excited about.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Who the hell knows? Wouldn't be the first stupid decision they've ever made, and definitely won't be the last.

You might be thinking about this from the wrong perspective. If Konami wanted to make a Silent Hill game and Sony is paying to essentially lock it down as an exclusive, that's likely not a great use of resources. Isn't it more likely that if these rumors are true Sony is essentially responsible for the game being made in the first place? Therefore the profits are a positive they wouldn't have had, and if it is critically acclaimed it adds to the prestige of the PlayStation brand.

Apr 27, 2018
Thank you for the reply! I am guessing that will be at either the Tokyo Game Show, as Gamescom 2020.

There was also a entry on Wikipedia awhile ago called Project Fog, and all it mentioned was that the game was going to be released in 2021. (As you know Wikipedia should NOT be trusted)
Was also wondering if that had any relation with this reboot.

w6reoicnnen31.png

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Thank you for the reply! I am guessing that will be at either the Tokyo Game Show, as Gamescom 2020.

There was also a entry on Wikipedia awhile ago called Project Fog, and all it mentioned was that the game was going to be released in 2021. (As you know Wikipedia should NOT be trusted)
Was also wondering if that had any relation with this reboot.
I absolutely have no idea if this is related or not. Do you have the link, it's interesting ?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They're doing that because they're getting most of the financial revenue, it's a system seller, that's all and to keep the exclusive

Silent Hill isn't a big IP, though. It's NOT really a system seller any more than any other exclusive non-Resident Evil horror game would be. They'd get almost the exact same level of sales if Toyama just made a completely unrelated horror game.

People are vastly overvaluing the Silent Hill franchise and it kinda seems like Sony might be doing the same as well. And I say that as a fan of the series who even has positive things to say about friggin' Downpour.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Silent Hill isn't a big IP, though. It's NOT really a system seller any more than any other exclusive non-Resident Evil horror game would be. They'd get almost the exact same level of sales if Toyama just made a completely unrelated horror game.

People are vastly overvaluing the Silent Hill franchise and it kinda seems like Sony might be doing the same as well. And I say that as a fan of the series who even has positive things to say about friggin' Downpour.
This is debatable, but I don't think you're right. Silent Hill is the second biggest horror IP after Resident Evil and I'm not the only one to think that.

Oct 25, 2017
They're doing that because they're getting most of the financial revenue, it's a system seller and to keep the exclusive.

Do you have any idea what type of resources they are putting into the project? Basically will it have the production values and polish we usually see from Sony's Western studios? Thanks.

Also I know you probably cannot answer this, but has Ikumi Nakamura been hired by Sony? I saw a rumor she was involved with this project and was working at Japan Studio.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Do you have any idea what type of resources they are putting into the project? Basically will it have the production values and polish we usually see from Sony's Western studios? Thanks.

Also I know you probably cannot answer this, but has Ikumi Nakamura been hired by Sony? I saw a rumor she was involved with this project and was working at Japan Studio.
I don't have any information about all the questions in your post, unfortunately.
I obviously assume that the reboot will be as polished as Resident Evil remakes were.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Denying rumors is arguably a stupid thing to do because from now on whenever there's a rumor about Konami and they don't come out and deny it people will believe its true. They've denied a false rumor in the past, why wouldn't they do it again? is the argument everyone would be using when that happens. Just imagine if tomorrow there's a rumor that MGS6 is in development and it's aiming for a 2022 release, if Konima doesn't deny it that's exactly what will happen.
And if the rumors actually turn out to be accurate, meaning Konami lied, they can never come out and deny a rumor again because they've proven themselves untrustworthy when it comes to denying rumors.
The best thing to do about rumors is just completely ignore them. Don't confirm them if they're true (obviously lol), don't deny them even if they're false, don't say you don't comment on rumors, just don't respond at all in any way. The only rumors you should respond to are those who damage your business such as important people leaving, publicly announced titles being canceled, studios being shut down etc.

Or the US Konami rep simply doesn't know. Apparently this person's second reply to Rely On Horror (I believe) was more delayed than the first, so they could have tried to get an answer up the chain and just got a flat denial.

If this was an arrangement between Konami Tokyo and SIE (Japan Studio) it's possibly a PR person in the US doesn't know about it. As I have no idea about global communication in this industry, that's simply speculation on my part.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Konami shooting down the rumors has some sort of logic in that both them AND Sony might want the conversation around Silent Hill to be dead, so that the reveal still has the impact and shock value that they want it to. Sony could have very well pushed Konami to deny, they have as much to gain from this reveal being huge as Konami. I don't think that is what is happening here, but if you REALLY want to hang on to hope, that would be your reasoning around the Konami statement.... That and them being untrustworthy pricks for the better part of the decade.

Silent Hill is one of the few IPs that I could care less if it brakes sales records, if Sony makes its money back, if the publisher (Konami) are shits and deserve to rot.... I just want another good game from the IP, whatever happens behind the scenes, I could care less.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Weren't Konami extremely petty when it came to PT/Kojima? Would they allow him to go on to make it?

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if Sony has a full PS5 console, price, games reveal this month or next, and Silent Hill for PS5 exclusively is one of the titles. I'd love to see what they can do on next-gen hardware.

And I know we all think its Demon Souls, but is there a chance Bluepoint's big remake is Silent Hill? Could be a big re-imagining/combining of 1 & 2, or just 1, with all of the old SH lead devs consulting? I'd rather have two games of course than one but its just a thought.

Watch Bluepoint are the ones remaking Tony Hawk's Pro Skater lol

Status
Not open for further replies.