• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any information about all the questions in your post, unfortunately.
I obviously assume that the reboot will be as polished as Resident Evil remakes were.
Why would you assume that?
Just look at what happened with that latest Contra game.

Never underestimate how shitty Konami is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Sony has a full PS5 console, price, games reveal this month or next, and Silent Hill for PS5 exclusively is one of the titles. I'd love to see what they can do on next-gen hardware.

And I know we all think its Demon Souls, but is there a chance Bluepoint's big remake is Silent Hill? Could be a big re-imagining/combining of 1 & 2, or just 1, with all of the old SH lead devs consulting? I'd rather have two games of course than one but its just a thought.

Watch Bluepoint are the ones remaking Tony Hawk's Pro Skater lol

It would be narratively impossible to combine SH1 and SH2. The town isn't even the same entity between the two games.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Imagine if Sony has a full PS5 console, price, games reveal this month or next, and Silent Hill for PS5 exclusively is one of the titles. I'd love to see what they can do on next-gen hardware.

And I know we all think its Demon Souls, but is there a chance Bluepoint's big remake is Silent Hill? Could be a big re-imagining/combining of 1 & 2, or just 1, with all of the old SH lead devs consulting? I'd rather have two games of course than one but its just a thought.

BluePoint aren't on Silent Hill, for sure.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Two big different cases.
Contra wasn't handled by SIE Japan Studio but by Konami themselves and was just a remaster.
For Silent Hill, we're talking about a reboot handled by the former creators and SIE.

There is a HUGE difference.
Well ok. I'll believe it when I see it I guess.

Konami is still a slimy shitstain of a company though.
Let nobody ever forget that.

Oct 25, 2017

Schreier says it is DS and he is pretty much bullet proof when it comes to sources.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
If Toyama is working on a Silent Hill reboot, no way Bluepoint is also working on a remake. That sort of commitment to an IP (Reboot, remake, and possibly Silent Hills) from Sony ain't happening unless they own, or are planning to own, the IP, and that is not happening.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

A BluePoint SH1 & 2 Remake combo would be an incredible segue into a Toyama/Japan Studio series reboot. All too good to be true (I'd be happy just being able to play the originals on PS5), but you never know.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
No, I agree with you on part of that - it's certainly the second biggest, but the gap between it and RE is wide enough to be an ocean.
With the right people behind the project, it's going to generate quite a bit of buzz. PT was a phenomenon. You don't think a big budget Sony exclusive reboot of Silent Hill with Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka would be bonkers and excite a LOT of people? Especially if it's one of the first major ps5 titles? It doesn't need to be a 10+ million seller for it to be a success.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little nonplussed that this means it will be a Sony exclusive.
But I guess with Konami being the way they are, it would never exist without them.

I feel like the time has kinda passed though. Almost all the good will generated by P.T has vanished into the cracks along with Konami's credibility.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
It would be really crazy if it was announced like PT back in 2014 at Gamescom, that's for sure. If Kojima is back as well that would be amazing.
I'd love to have an announcement with just a guy driving with his daughter on his right during the night, all in the calm. And after a few seconds, an accident, Yamaoka's theme starts and here we are : BIG CHILLS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
With the right people behind the project, it's going to generate quite a bit of buzz. PT was a phenomenon. You don't think a big budget Sony exclusive reboot of Silent Hill with Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka would be bonkers and excite a LOT of people? Especially if it's one of the first major ps5 titles? It doesn't need to be a 10+ million seller for it to be a success.

I think the thing is that Toyama isn't really a very big name. He made Silent Hill 1 and then bailed to make Siren games and the Gravity Rush series. He's not some legendary creator with a huge fanbase, he's a guy who's mostly operated in the background and made niche games for Sony, and the Silent Hill series' most famous and most iconic installment is one he had nothing to do with.

By comparison, as much as I personally think he's an egotistical prick who's spent years sniffing his own farts and has basically become a walking self-parody, Kojima being involved would at least justify a huge groundswell of hype because everyone knows who he is. Toyama is not Kojima, though.

If it HAS to happen, I just hope to GOD this isn't a straight remake of Silent Hill 1. We've had that story retold so many goddamn times, there's nothing else you can do with it. Tell us a new story. Do something interesting.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stepping in now before it gets derailed:

Staff has verified the information this user has on this subject.
tumblr_oqts02PFVa1wn1p99o2_1280.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little nonplussed that this means it will be a Sony exclusive.
But I guess with Konami being the way they are, it would never exist without them.

I feel like the time has kinda passed though. Almost all the good will generated by P.T has vanished into the cracks along with Konami's credibility.

The credibility of Sony as a publisher is at just about an all-time high though. Just imagine them doing for Silent Hill what they did for Spider-Man after it wasted away at Activision forever.

I think the thing is that Toyama isn't really a very big name. He made Silent Hill 1 and then bailed to make Siren games and the Gravity Rush series. He's not some legendary creator with a huge fanbase, he's a guy who's mostly operated in the background and made niche games for Sony, and the Silent Hill series' most famous and most iconic installment is one he had nothing to do with.

By comparison, as much as I personally think he's an egotistical prick who's spent years sniffing his own farts and has basically become a walking self-parody, Kojima being involved would at least justify a huge groundswell of hype because everyone knows who he is. Toyama is not Kojima, though.

If it HAS to happen, I just hope to GOD this isn't a straight remake of Silent Hill 1. We've had that story retold so many goddamn times, there's nothing else you can do with it. Tell us a new story. Do something interesting.

"Soft reboot " with all the previous games remaining canon is what I recall. Nothing about a remake.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019

RelyOnHorror, Golem, and now, Katharsis all seem agree on the game being a reboot, not a remake.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland

I wasn't really referring to any one person per se, but rather Sony as a whole. They are able to generate lots of excitement for their first party titles. Add to that the Silent Hill fans that still exist and I think it's going to do well.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to have an announcement with just a guy driving with his daughter on his right during the night, all in the calm. And after a few seconds, an accident, Yamaoka's theme starts and here we are : BIG CHILLS.

Anything where that Yamaoka/Silent Hill guitar string riff starts playing would be too much for me to handle.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
RelyOnHorror, Golem, and now, Katharsis all seem agree on the game being a reboot, not a remake.

As long as the series' canon is preserved, a game narratively unrelated to previous installments but still occupying the same world that they happened in would be fine. Most of the games are essentially soft reboots aside from SH1/3 being directly connected and James' dad popping up as a side character in SH4.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Sony better be sure its exclusive and not just getting a 6 month exclusivity deal out of this.

If they want for ps5 to start out strong, they need to bring in the fire they have done in the past. Lately I feel they havent. Crossing fingers they have just been quiet to have a huge ass PS5 reveal the size of a megaton.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Sony better be sure its exclusive and not just getting a 6 month exclusivity deal out of this.

If they want for ps5 to start out strong, they need to bring in the fire they have done in the past. Lately I feel they havent. Crossing fingers they have just been quiet to have a huge ass PS5 reveal the size of a megaton.
This would certainly be a Spider-man situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.