• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I believe the Silent Hill rumour is real. Always said that's believable, but the rumours of Sony buying up the MGS and Castlevania IP.....nah. Can't believe that one. That's the rumour I said if was true I would cut off my nuts and chew them raw....... because clearly it's fantasy stuff.

Oh yeah that IP buying rumor was never believable.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly wouldn't want this to be an exclusive but if Sony stepping up is the only way a new Silent Hill gets made then so be it. Series deserves to at least exist.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I was being facetious. Point is, you're having a hard time admitting to the fact that the best case scenario for the franchise is currently happening. Why you cling so hard to the idea of wanting Konami to have another go at the franchise is beyond me. You're alone in your thinking, and countless people have told you why in the multiples of threads all having to do with these rumours. Konami are the ones who ran the franchise into the ground. How you could possibly be for the idea of giving the "one more chance" or "another go" is absurd.

Let me be blunt.

I do not want the next-gen arms race to be determined by first parties locking down multiplatform franchises as exclusives. I do not want to see Sony making an exclusive Silent Hill and then Microsoft countering by funding an exclusive Devil May Cry or Final Fantasy, because it will just continue to snowball from there and everyone on both sides gets screwed over aside from the third party companies who basically get free paydays for doing no work. I do not want a future where previously multiplatform franchises are being bought and sold like fucking trading cards.

And if that means a couple dead IPs have to stay dead, I'm fine with that.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Let me be blunt.

I do not want the next-gen arms race to be determined by first parties locking down multiplatform franchises as exclusives. I do not want to see Sony making an exclusive Silent Hill and then Microsoft countering by funding an exclusive Devil May Cry or Final Fantasy, because it will just continue to snowball from there and everyone on both sides gets screwed over aside from the third party companies who basically get free paydays for doing no work. I do not want a future where previously multiplatform franchises are being bought and sold like fucking trading cards.

I'll have to disagree with you on that. If anyone is willing to make a new game for IPs I care about, I don't give two shits about exclusivity. Ideally, I'd want everyone to be able to play anything, but if Sony / Microsoft / Nintendo, or even (LOL) Stadia getting exclusive rights gets me a new Silent Hill / Metal Gear / Castlevania, then I'm all for it.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Let me be blunt.

Exclusives aren't going anywhere.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me be blunt.

Read this in Bernie's voice.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Silent Hill fan, I hope there is a new game involving the original staff and that it reaches as many people as possible. I don't know what will happen in terms of platforms, so for now I just hope the game really exists.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Let me be blunt.

I mean, agreed to a certain point. But I'd rather for the game to actually exist, if only for one system, than getting nothing for another decade.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Let me be blunt.

I think your problem is that you are seeing this as just "console wars". Sony and MS aren't competing like they did in the PS3/360 days, that is long over and they are so far away from each other now that you just can't measure them the same way. The gap between the two is just that big. Third party exclusives would do very little to bring the two closer, there are tons of other factors that would be more crucial.

Sony teaming up with Konami sounds like something much bigger than we know. Not one, but TWO Silent Hill games were rumored tied to Sony and there is even a new Silent Hill movie being worked on when Sony recently established PlayStation Productions for things exactly like that.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
As a Silent Hill fan, I hope there is a new game involving the original staff and that it reaches as many people as possible. I don't know what will happen in terms of platforms, so for now I just hope the game really exists.
PS5 exclusive since it's developped internally by Japan Studio. Might come to PC a few years later but I highly doubt it. Death Stranding was always coming to PC due to the deal between Kojima and Sony back in 2015, Horizon followed because it's the same engine and the game came out 3 years ago. For Detroit, I assume Sony didn't want to be associated with the harassment problems that Quantic Dream had in the past.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Fully
Let me be blunt.

Fully agree with your point, but I think the Final Fantasy and DMC comparisons are not equivalent to what is happening with Spider-man and Silent Hill. Spidey and Silent Hill were in positions were their publishers were actively driving the IPs into the ground (Spider-man) or were already dead (Silent Hill). Meanwhile Sony had the talent (Insomniac, then a second party studio, and Toyama and Team Siren) to be able to bring said IP back. Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry are not in that position, both IPs are actively thriving under their devs/publishers. Capcom does not need to run to Microsoft for Ninja Theory's help with DMC, because their own team has the IP under control. That theoretical future were Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony fight it out for control over third parties could still happen, just not over those two IPs you mentioned.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Let me be blunt.

To hell with that.

LET THEM FIGHT

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to disagree with you on that. If anyone is willing to make a new game for IPs I care about, I don't give two shits about exclusivity. Ideally, I'd want everyone to be able to play anything, but if Sony / Microsoft / Nintendo, or even (LOL) Stadia getting exclusive rights gets me a new Silent Hill / Metal Gear / Castlevania, then I'm all for it.

Yeah, that's just a difference of opinion between us. I get your mindset, but I don't agree with it at all - the last thing I want is a bunch of first parties making bullish moves and locking down multiplatform games just to prevent the other hardware from getting them.

It sucks when it's moneyhats, and it sucks ALMOST as much to have first party developers' time and energy shifted over to making games that third parties are perfectly capable of making themselves.

Like, I get it, people think Silent Hill would be dead without this, but I'm not willing to set a precedent for Sony and Microsoft to go ham with these kinds of IP "rentals" just to bring one dead IP back. And I say that as a Silent Hill fan.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Let me be blunt.

Those examples you gave are not remotely the same though since DMC and Final Fantasy are huge IPs and have a competent company that owns them. But Bayonetta 3 wouldn't have been made, SFV wasnt getting made if Nintendo and Sony dont step in to help fund. I'd rather a defunct franchise get resurrected by any of the big 3 then not exist at all.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of making two Silent Hills games? What am I missing here, since I obviously am missing something.

giphy.gif
The rumors seem to good to be true anyway. Two Silent Hills, MGS (with Kojima possibly involved) AND Castlevania seems far fetched and hard to imagine in 2020.

Also, I approve of this gif and your great taste in tv shows!

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Just to chime in on the exclusivity thing coming from a Silent Hill fan--I'll take whatever man. I've been burned too long, and I've always wanted another good Silent Hill game. It's a huge bonus that the original creator would be on board if this were a Sony-produced title. But honestly, I just want another good Silent Hill game, and if console exclusivity is the way to do that because of Konami's ineptitude, then so be it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Those examples you gave are not remotely the same though since DMC and Final Fantasy are huge IPs and have a competent company that owns them. But Bayonetta 3 wouldn't have been made, SFV wasnt getting made if Nintendo and Sony dont step in to help fund. I'd rather a defunct franchise get resurrected by any of the big 3 then not exist at all.

We know for a fact SFV would've been made without Sony's involvement, it just would've taken longer for it to come out.

Oct 27, 2017
Who the hell knows? Wouldn't be the first stupid decision they've ever made, and definitely won't be the last.

I don't understand why this would be a stupid move on Sony's part? Were you not around for the PT hysteria ~6 years ago?! If they could recapture even half of that hype and excitement it would be by far the biggest success the SH series has ever had.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
I wonder if it was Toyama who approached SIE with the idea, or the other way around. By the tone of the people with info, Konami was certainly not the one who lead the conversation.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Konami denied it tho 🤔

Konami's US marketing rep denied it. It doesn't make the rumours any more true but overseas branches will be the last to know what's going on vis-a-vis development. I believe the same exact rumour->denial->confirmation happened in the past with Capcom US.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Is silent hill collection worth playing? Is it too scary? I don't care about the changes Konami made since I didn't really play the original.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Let me be blunt.

Context is key though. Silent Hill has been dormant for a long, long time and Konami don't seem to be doing shit with the IP anymore. Additionally, Sony's previous relationship with P.T comes into play here. Devil May Cry or Final Fantasy are crap examples in this case, because both are incredibly popular on PlayStation and IPs that are in active, continuous use by their owner.

I get the concern, but Silent Hill isn't Final Fantasy or Devil May Cry, and would you not rather see a first party platformholder step in and aid in the revival of a dormant IP than wait for it's incompetant owner to maybe do something with it?

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The rumors seem to good to be true anyway. Two Silent Hills, MGS (with Kojima possibly involved) AND Castlevania seems far fetched and hard to imagine in 2020.

Also, I approve of this gif and your great taste in tv shows!
No his comment was for 2 SH titles, Castlevania and MGS. I still don't understand why there would be two games made for this. The IP is not that strong to warrant it. :\

If Kojima wants to do it, give it to him and have SJ work on a new IP (or Legend of Dragoon Remake)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is silent hill collection worth playing? Is it too scary? I don't care about the changes Konami made since I didn't really play the original.

It's less that they changed things and more that they just ported the games badly. A lot of SH2's original atmosphere is ruined by the poor fog implementation in the remaster.

Saci do PXB

Nov 12, 2017
It sucks when it's moneyhats, and it sucks ALMOST as much to have first party developers' time and energy shifted over to making games that third parties are perfectly capable of making themselves.
I could agree with that. If it was not about Konami. They would never beat a Sony game nowadays. And I'm a xbox fan!

because it will just continue to snowball from there and everyone on both sides gets screwed over aside from the third party companies who basically get free paydays for doing no work.
I understand the fear, but can't see that happening. Two or three cases next gen and there it is.

Konami should license most IP's to companies with talent to do some good games. And I don't think in general, just about Konami.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Context is key though. Silent Hill has been dormant for a long, long time and Konami don't seem to be doing shit with the IP anymore. Additionally, Sony's previous relationship with P.T comes into play here. Devil May Cry or Final Fantasy are crap examples in this case, because both are incredibly popular on PlayStation and IPs that are in active, continuous use by their owner.

I get the concern, but Silent Hill isn't Final Fantasy or Devil May Cry, and would you not rather see a first party platformholder step in and aid in the revival of a dormant IP than wait for it's incompetant owner to maybe do something with it?

I would not. I am not interested in a "let's see who can buy up exclusivity on the most third party games" arms race between Sony and Microsoft.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Konami's US marketing rep denied it. It doesn't make the rumours any more true but overseas branches will be the last to know what's going on vis-a-vis development. I believe the same exact rumour->denial->confirmation happened in the past with Capcom US.
And on top of that, even if Konami has no stake in when the game is revealed, Sony sure as shit does. This, if real, would be PS5's The Last Guardian/FF7 reveal moment. Sony has motive for killing talk around Silent Hill, so that the announcement has the impact they want out of it.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let me be blunt.

It's not making a multi platform franchise exclusive, it's making a dead franchise exclusive. Can`t be multi platform if you're not making games in the first place.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's not making a multi platform franchise exclusive, it's making a dead franchise exclusive. Can`t be multi platform if you're not making games in the first place.

That's a semantic argument, and it doesn't change the point I'm making, which is that I would rather Sony and Microsoft spend their money AND their developers making their own games, rather than making third parties' games FOR them just to have them as exclusives.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
That's a semantic argument, and it doesn't change the point I'm making, which is that I would rather Sony and Microsoft spend their money AND their developers making their own games, rather than making third parties' games FOR them just to have them as exclusives.
That's fine you want them to focus on original games, but a lot of people would love to see some of these old, once fantastic franchises come back as well. It's not going to stop Sony from making their own games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine you want them to focus on original games, but a lot of people would love to see some of these old, once fantastic franchises come back as well. It's not going to stop Sony from making their own games.

It ABSOLUTELY does mean that they have less developers and dev funds available to make new games.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not how things work. Them not spending money there doesn't mean they'll divest those funds to their own games, they may just spend less.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Street Fighter wouldnt die without sony paying to rush a barebones exclusive release and believing in that is completely absurd

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I would be beyond ecstatic if Sony were able to bring these IPs back, especially Castlevania.

I'm exciteed for:
Castlevania because I imagine it will be in the vein of Bloodborne..
Silent Hills because it will be the payoff for the brilliance that is P.T.
Metal Gear, while already a complete series, will bring us a brand new stealth action game. Something that is sorely missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.