• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Maybe a contract for several exclusive games with Konami ? Otherwise doesn't make much sense business wise. I'd love that to happen though.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Sony has made plenty of stupid decisions in the past and they are not immune to making mistakes. What benefit do they see from spending AAA amounts of money on reviving ANOTHER PUBLISHER'S IP, which they won't be able to control ownership of? Silent Hill was never a massive seller, it was always niche compared to Resident Evil.

A deal like this ABSOLUTELY benefits Konami more than them. Konami gets to clean up and collect free money with zero risk.
Silent Hill is a much bigger IP than Siren. Many people in this thread have expressed delight at the prospect of a sony silent hill game and that it would influence their decision to buy a ps5.

Lastly eve if it was a stupid decision, why do you care and why shitting all over.the thhread worrying about Sony's business decisions.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill is a much bigger IP than Siren. Many people in this thread have expressed delight at the prospect of a sony silent hill game and that it would influence their decision to buy a ps5.

Lastly eve if it was a stupid decision, why do you care and why shitting all over.the thhread worrying about Sony's business decisions.

Neither IP is big. Silent Hill was always a niche horror series, as was Siren. That doesn't mean it's BAD, but Sony throwing huge amounts of money at an IP they don't own, can't control, and that will automatically go multiplatform is a stupid move.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Sony has made plenty of stupid decisions in the past and they are not immune to making mistakes. What benefit do they see from spending AAA amounts of money on reviving ANOTHER PUBLISHER'S IP, which they won't be able to control ownership of? Silent Hill was never a massive seller, it was always niche compared to Resident Evil.

A deal like this ABSOLUTELY benefits Konami more than them. Konami gets to clean up and collect free money with zero risk.

Because of market research and a broader strategy they have in mind. Remember, everything indicates that they are more into business ventures with third parties that they are sure can result into multi-million sellers. Things can go wrong of course, but they MUST have good reason to believe they can profit off of Silent Hill with a multi-game deal. Hell, they might have movie and TV plans with PlayStation Productions for the series too. We really don't know at this point, but the Sony of today isn't doing moves out of desperation. The Silent Hill IP may be niche compared to RE, but it is easily one of the notable horror franchise even being dormant for years now.

I just think you are looking at this wrong because of your disdain for Konami.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

My restless dreams may be ending soon.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
It really is a dumb move on Sony's part if true. Silent Hill is not that big of an IP and it would be ridiculous of them to throw AAA money at it if Konami still retains full ownership and control over it.
A new Silent Hill would be the best selling game in the franchise, riding on the back of everything that happened with PT. I really think you're downplaying just what a massive story the PT cancellation was. The drama that ensued catapulted Silent Hill into the forefront of everyone's minds. A Silent Hills revival would be even bigger news than it's cancellation, which is to say, huge.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The deal would be mutually beneficial to both companies for different reasons.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this makes no sense. Sony has the team involved with SH on their payroll, they would just let them make a horror game again rather than going for a silent Hill soft reboot. SH doesn't really have the cache that people think, even with a movie franchise
I can actually talk about this a bit. Now keep in my I'm a bit murky on the details, this is from my understanding also, I'm going to try to get what I've heard as accurate as possible but I'm also cutting parts of this out. I'm also about to say some controversial things for some, so be ready. None of this is from any source I personally can verify, but it is what I've heard.

Death Stranding was a flop. It sold well initially, but I've heard it has over 3 million unsold copies of what's been produced, but the sales kinda' slowed to a crawl and the game hasn't done as well as anyone involved has been hoping. Death Stranding was also originally supposed to be a very different game, a lot darker and more horror-esque, but around a year and a half before launch the development got soft rebooted. Sony and Kojima had some disagreements, and some other studios at Sony's Worldwide Studios were a bit upset at the money Kojima was getting for the game, along with disagreements lead to Death Stranding not ending up as a PS5 game and a sharper window for release even after the soft reboot. There's a looooot more here, but this is the part I'll share that's relevant.

So originally Sony and Konami came to a deal when Konami was shopping around for Silent Hill developers, I am not entirely clear on the details but Toyama had been interested in doing a horror game, but the Siren IP is kinda' more of a niche thing and would get a lower budget. Somehow, I wish I was more clear on the details, but SOMEHOW a few variables fells into place that Sony went out of their way to work with Konami to allow Toyama to work on a horror game, but a horror game with more recognition behind it than Siren, which of course I mean Silent Hill. Sony also seemed to have the idea since Death Stranding was a loss for them that getting Kojima to finally work on a horror game like he's been wanting to, have Konami help fit the bill for Kojima's and Toyama's game (as Konami was going to help fund whatever game anyways). There was some Japanese pride on Kojima Pro's side since Death Stranding didn't do too great, so they want to prove themselves more. Sony is fine with that but not to make a game without as bloated of a budget as DS, and they believe that a horror game or even a Silent Hill game as a brand with recognition and already pre-built hype with his named attached might make more financial return for them and be a strong title for their platform. Kojima making a horror game and making Silent Hills has hype behind it, Toyama and Team Silent members returning to make a new Silent Hill game has hype behind it, and Sony and Konami were able to strike a deal that made both parties happy and mutually benefited both of them.

This is a super oversimplification, but basically Konami just wanted someone to make a good Silent Hill game and was willing to fund the pitch they selected, Sony was interested due to what Toyama wanted for his next project and the possibility of getting Kojima to do a smaller budget game after Death Stranding was a failure which they believe would have interest for gamers, and a deal was worked out with Sony and Konami both funding these projects (though let me clarify, the Kojima game is still in the talks at this point in time).

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Neither IP is big. Silent Hill was always a niche horror series, as was Siren. That doesn't mean it's BAD, but Sony throwing huge amounts of money at an IP they don't own, can't control, and that will automatically go multiplatform is a stupid move.

Silent Hill as a series outsold Siren by *quite a bit* and it has the advantage of two motion pictures under its belt. One of which was well received with a $100m box office gross in 2006. IIRC Sony was involved with both of those, so a revitalized Silent Hill also helps their film studio for a third entry.

Even if they don't *own* the franchise, assisting in development of the title all but assures the game will at minimum be a timed exclusive on the platform. It *may* remain exclusive as well, as Street Fighter V did. With game sales being as frontloaded as they are, anything that ends up being ported 6 months to a year after the fact isn't all that relevant. Final Fantasy VIIR isn't exclusive either- you think that title is going to move Playstations? Or Xboxes?

Bottom line, Konami doesn't have the ability to make AAA games anymore. Looking at the success a rebooted RE2 got, a Silent Hill with some effort behind it would move both copies AND systems for people looking to play it. Sony gets a title that grabs way more attention than Siren ever would, Konami gets a studio with some talent to make the game.

it's a win/win.

Oct 25, 2017

I get what you are saying. But I don't care.

I don't care about what benefits Sony's bottom line. That's not my problem. Or your problem. Or anyone else's problem but Sony's.

People want a new Silent Hill, because Silent Hill is legendary franchise with some of the best games in the horror genre and the last promising looking project was canceled because of stupid office politics bullshit.

You don't have to be interested in the game, but don't be concerned for the multi-billion dollar company.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I can actually talk about this a bit. Now keep in my I'm a bit murky on the details, this is from my understanding also, I'm going to try to get what I've heard as accurate as possible but I'm also cutting parts of this out. I'm also about to say some controversial things for some, so be ready. None of this is from any source I personally can verify, but it is what I've heard.

Death Stranding was a flop. It sold well initially, but I've heard it has over 3 million unsold copies of what's been produced, but the sales kinda' slowed to a crawl and the game hasn't done as well as anyone involved has been hoping. Death Stranding was also originally supposed to be a very different game, a lot darker and more horror-esque, but around a year and a half before launch the development got soft rebooted. Sony and Kojima had some disagreements, and some other studios at Sony's Worldwide Studios were a bit upset at the money Kojima was getting for the game, along with disagreements lead to Death Stranding not ending up as a PS5 game and a sharper window for release even after the soft reboot. There's a looooot more here, but this is the part I'll share that's relevant.

So originally Sony and Konami came to a deal when Konami was shopping around for Silent Hill developers, I am not entirely clear on the details but Toyama had been interested in doing a horror game, but the Siren IP is kinda' more of a niche thing and would get a lower budget. Somehow, I wish I was more clear on the details, but SOMEHOW a few variables fells into place that Sony went out of their way to work with Konami to allow Toyama to work on a horror game, but a horror game with more recognition behind it than Siren, which of course I mean Silent Hill. Sony also seemed to have the idea since Death Stranding was a loss for them that getting Kojima to finally work on a horror game like he's been wanting to, have Konami help fit the bill for Kojima's and Toyama's game (as Konami was going to help fund whatever game anyways). There was some Japanese pride on Kojima Pro's side since Death Stranding didn't do too great to make a game without as bloated of a budget that might make return and a strong title for their platform. Kojima making a horror game and making Silent Hills has hype behind it, Toyama and Team Silent members returning to make a new Silent Hill game has hype behind it, and Sony and Konami were able to strike a deal that made both parties happy and mutually benefited both of them.

This is a super oversimplification, but basically Konami just wanted someone to make a good Silent Hill game and was willing to fund the pitch they selected, Sony was interested due to what Toyama wanted for his next project and the possibility of getting Kojima to do a smaller budget game after Death Stranding was a failure which they believe would have interest for gamers, and a deal was worked out with Sony and Konami both funding these projects (though let me clarify, the Kojima game is still in the talks at this point in time).

Damn there is a lot going on in this post. Not even sure where to start but I will say, fuck yes, more Silent Hill!

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
Silent Hill reboot/remake would be great but Sony should really try to save the IP from Konami (and MGS too while they are at it).

I however don't see any point in "patching up" anything between Konami and Kojima for Silent Hills - they can just as easily make the same game under a different name without any involvement from Konami.
I see a lot of people here talking about this point, but somehow almost everyone seems to forget the reality of the world we live in, and that reality is the simple fact that most people tend to care more about the brands and names as opposed to everything else, especially when it comes to well-known entertainment products.

And it's not like this is some difficult thing to prove, I mean we already have the perfect example of the literal Call of Duty: Modern Warfare creators making a new FPS series (Titanfall), and yet sales of that series pretty much paled in comparison to Call of Duty.

There are exceptions of course, but this is generally the recurring theme happening again and again, yet somehow majority of people would rather believe in the fantasy world in which somehow quality alone is enough to compete and surpass a world renowned brand in terms of sales and popularity.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a perfect combo for me.

- Main series Silent Hill soft reboot by Silent Team exclusive for PS5 to sell the console to single player fans and nostalgic people.

AND

- Silent Hills by Kojima makes a return as an episodic VR enhanced game to sell PSVR2 and and engage the YouTube community of new fans and please older fans with more Silent Hill.

It makes perfect sense. Please be real.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So originally Sony and Konami came to a deal when Konami was shopping around for Silent Hill developers, I am not entirely clear on the details but Toyama had been interested in doing a horror game, but the Siren IP is kinda' more of a niche thing and would get a lower budget. Somehow, I wish I was more clear on the details, but SOMEHOW a few variables fells into place that Sony went out of their way to work with Konami to allow Toyama to work on a horror game, but a horror game with more recognition behind it than Siren, which of course I mean Silent Hill. Sony also seemed to have the idea since Death Stranding was a loss for them that getting Kojima to finally work on a horror game like he's been wanting to, have Konami help fit the bill for Kojima's and Toyama's game (as Konami was going to help fund whatever game anyways). There was some Japanese pride on Kojima Pro's side since Death Stranding didn't do too great to make a game without as bloated of a budget that might make return and a strong title for their platform. Kojima making a horror game and making Silent Hills has hype behind it, Toyama and Team Silent members returning to make a new Silent Hill game has hype behind it, and Sony and Konami were able to strike a deal that made both parties happy and mutually benefited both of them.

Damn..

3 million is not bad, Sony expected a game like that would be a 10 million seller? Lol

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Probably my only gaming dream left: a continuation for Silent Hill. If they get those series veterans back and it gets Sony funding, this can be the comeback SH needed.

Just, don't let Konami get in the way. In fact, best case scenario would be for Sony to buy the IP.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill was never niche, it was always a big release. Both 1, 3, Origins, and Shattered Memories all pushed the hardware they were designed for to the max, they had tons of money behind them.

May 26, 2018
Toyama/Yamaoka/Ito is a good pick if I had to go for the most minimal possible version of Team Silent. It'll be a damn shame missing out on Takayoshi Sato, though

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
This is my Final Fantasy VII moment...if it's true.

If any publisher can achieve this, it's Sony.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
This is a dream come true. This next gen is gonna be amazing!
what if there's a playable teaser for Silent Hills that can be found in Silent Hill?

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Why you gotta get me excited like this... why...

You want me to get a PS5 day one, ok.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I don't get the "why didn't Sony just fund another Siren?" posts. Siren is such a supremely niche IP with the last game coming out twelve years ago as an episodic title.

Silent Hill had a succesful Hollywood adaption and millions of copies sold when it was most popular. The IP is simply much more worth it. Not to mention that PT created a lot of hype back in 2015.

Oct 28, 2017
www.gamesradar.com

Kojima's getting ready "to make the scariest horror game"

"I'll watch the scary movies in order to awaken my horror soul"

screenrant.com

Silent Hill's Art Director Masahiro Ito Announces Work on New Game

Masahiro Ito, Silent Hill's art director, announces that he is working on a new project.

Yesterday, Masahiro Ito posted on Twitter that he was working on a new title as a "core member." He also said that "I hope the title won't be cancelled," in a reference to the fate of Silent Hills. This announcement has sparked a great deal of excitement and conjecture from fans, but Ito has said that he cannot share any further details.

In 2012, Ito stated on Twitter that he would be willing to work with Hideo Kojima on a new Silent Hill game, if Kojima were to "demand it." While he was not involved with P.T., Ito clearly had some interest in the Silent Hills project, and it is likely no coincidence that he referenced it so clearly in his Twitter announcement yesterday.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
If Sony somehow pull off a silent hills reboot headed by kojima this forum and the Internet will collapse. What a megaton that would be for the ps5 even if it only came out in 22/23.

After the gen they've just had Sony certainly aren't resting on their laurels. They deserve my purchase of the ps5 and they'll get it!

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I've always felt that the biggest shortcomings of the Silent Hill franchise is how the gameplay is dated, so a modern reboot would be great.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017

The only benefit is to sell Systems, which is usually why Sony does deals like FF7R. Silent Hill is one of those franchises like MGS, FF and Crash that has strong ties with Playstation. A well planned marketing strategy with a well made AAA game will could be huge for both Sony and Konami, especially at the start of the new gen.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony and Kojima had some disagreements, and some other studios at Sony's Worldwide Studios were a bit upset at the money Kojima was getting for the game, along with disagreements lead to Death Stranding not ending up as a PS5 game and a sharper window for release even after the soft reboot. There's a looooot more here, but this is the part I'll share that's relevant.
unnamed9hk7p.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.