• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I've been busy recently so I haven't really gotten the chance to join in on the convo earlier, but I just want to chime in and say I do believe still lol.

I also hope it's going to be revealed in August rather than in September/October

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Ok by now, we should have gotten any hint if the game is going to be shown during August SOP or not.

Last edited:

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Somehow i have the feeling that Silent Hill won't be at the next PS5 showcase, and that will be the biggest disappointment.

But if that is the biggest disappointment it will be a good show.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I like that idea, honestly. Like New England is a really close-knit area. If an entire resort town just vanished or got hit with a supernatural cataclysmic event, everyone in the surrounding states would know about it. I think the only logical explanation is that the borderline between the realms is just so frayed that it appears completely normal and safe to most people and it appears completely differently for people attuned to or being targeted by the town's supernatural side.

It didn't go completely unnoticed, Cybil was sent to investigate because her police department suddenly lost communication with Silent Hill, and it's obvious why, which I think counts as pretty strong evidence pointing towards my way of looking at the story.
As for why it doesn't cause a bigger splash than that. Who knows? Plot convenience I guess. Perhaps it's the influence of the town. Just as it draws some people in it might push others away.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
To be fair, KatharsisT and Dusk Golem have been consistent all along. KatharsisT said back in April that it would be announced sometime between May and October, with October being the latest. The October thing is nothing new:

I absolutely don't know when Sony will make the full reveal of the PS5 with games. I just know it's a little bit delayed cause of Covid-19. I know which games they have in mind for the launch but I don't think it's my job to reveal them. If you're paying attention, you already know which games it could be. But due to Covid-19, plans could change. PS5 isn't delayed yet and they're not planning to delay it. I assume that the PS5 event will be digital if we don't find a solution for this virus soon and that Silent Hill could be announced during this event. If not, it'll be before the PS5 launch if Sony don't change plans. Maximum in October. Silent Hill reboot has been in development for more than a year so far. A build is already playable and they're ready to make a teaser for it. Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka are involved and can't wait to show what they've in store.

Heck, even the June event was not 100% guaranteed. They were saying that the announcement was probably post-poned a couple of weeks before the event, as soon as Sony started reshuffling stuff, and this was before Sony officially announced the delay to June 11 (with other insiders confirming that a lot of stuff still hasn't been announced yet).

The skepticism is justified, but I think we need to stop pretending that Dusk and Katharsis are somehow backtracking every time the game isn't announced on the soonest possible date. The window given to us has been "between May and October, and definitely before the PS5 launch" from the beginning. If nothing is announced by then, we can rest easy knowing the rumors were fake.

Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia
It didn't go completely unnoticed, Cybil was sent to investigate because her police department suddenly lost communication with Silent Hill, and it's obvious why, which I think counts as pretty strong evidence pointing towards my way of looking at the story.
As for why it doesn't cause a bigger splash than that. Who knows? Plot convenience I guess. Perhaps it's the influence of the town. Just as it draws some people in it might push others away.

It probably didn't cause a bigger splash because it was just too fresh. Harry meets Cybil when she's literally just arrived in town

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What other bomb do they have to drop in August if not Silent Hill?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I would say real gameplay of Miles Morales and maybe Horizon would already be a big "bomb" after all showcases that happened already.
Maybe some "sugar" like free PS5 boost patches for TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima with gameplay, and as a finisher the UI and price.

Booom, there you go...

ROBYER1

Apr 22, 2020
If you believe the rumors, the Silent Hills thing was in talks, but it ultimately fell through. No one can give a clear answer about how far long it supposed was, but if that's true, then yeah, this wouldn't be related to Silent Hills.

EDIT: That headline also seems to be kind of inaccurate. It seems it's just been talk between the two, they aren't actively working on anything at the time.

Seems a high likelihood that ideas Kojima (and Del toro) had for Silent Hills could be revived in this project. Very excited for it due to the collaborations he will have with other creatives.

Is a shame that supposedly Silent Hills talks fell through, although is there any actual concrete evidence that the revival of it was ditched by Konami?!

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Genuinely cannot wait for this game to be revealed (still confident about that personally) so this thread can be put to rest.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I would say real gameplay of Miles Morales and maybe Horizon would already be a big "bomb" after all showcases that happened already.
Maybe some "sugar" like free PS5 boost patches for TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima with gameplay, and as a finisher the UI and price.

Booom, there you go...

Miles gameplay.
TLOU Part II and Tsushima PS5 patches.
TLOU II Factions reveal.

Legit all I need.

A 4K60 Bloodborne PS5 patch would be a knockout blow, not that I expect it.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Genuinely cannot wait for this game to be revealed (still confident about that personally) so this thread can be put to rest.

Convert this thread to the SH Community thread
and watch it die again 😭

After the June event, my feeling is this: if the game is real it'll be revealed when Sony deems it necessary, obviously. Might not be August (honestly expecting that to concentrate on PS5 launch details) or TGS (SH is a more popular property in the West than Japan). COVID might have slowed down development and might have pushed it to a 2022 release (especially if, say, RE8 has been pushed into the back half of 2021 when SH would have been scheduled to release; doubt these two games would want to compete). As much as we all want confirmation, maybe now Sony thinks "E3 '21 (or E3 equivalent early next summer ) reveal with a Feb/March '22 release date". Not unlike what they did with Bloodborne. Or they say "fuck it", show it this year, and then drip feed us for a stretch?

Either way- I'm not going to make the mistake I made in June and put all my hopes in one show or another. That was my fault, no one else's, but still. If it's real it'll show up eventually and might be a legitimate surprise when it does.
No offense at all to Katharsis or Dusk, but unless Schreier or ZHuge just blurt it out in a Tweet, I'm going to try to remain at 'very cautiously optimistic' instead of 'blindly, unhealthily optimistic'.

Sadly, I think the desperate hope in my mind will linger until the point Toyama's next project is shown. If that's NOT Silent Hill, I think the dream of a Godfathers-of-Silent Hill Reunion for SIE will be officially dead for me.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Seems a high likelihood that ideas Kojima (and Del toro) had for Silent Hills could be revived in this project. Very excited for it due to the collaborations he will have with other creatives.

Is a shame that supposedly Silent Hills talks fell through, although is there any actual concrete evidence that the revival of it was ditched by Konami?!

Without Kojima involved, I doubt any of his ideas would be used or if anyone really knows what he was going to do outside himself. You have to realize that Silent Hills never really existed outside PT, and that was never going to be a representation of the final game.

And it depends on what you mean by concrete. Nothing we have about any of this this is concrete lol, but Dusk and KT have both said that Silent Hills isn't happening anymore, so if you believe them on everything else, then yes? It really just depends on how much you believe these rumors.

Has an August event even been confirmed yet?

No

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Without Kojima involved, I doubt any of his ideas would be used or if anyone really knows what he was going to do outside himself. You have to realize that Silent Hills never really existed outside PT, and that was never going to be a representation of the final game.

And it depends on what you mean by concrete. Nothing we have about any of this this is concrete lol, but Dusk and KT have both said that Silent Hills isn't happening anymore, so if you believe them on everything else, then yes? It really just depends on how much you believe these rumors.

Kojima also doesn't seem like the kind of person who's so outwardly spiteful that he'd be like "I'm just gonna use all the ideas I had for my Silent Hill game and make it without the Silent Hill name".

If he IS making a new horror game, it's probably an entirely new idea.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

No

Jeff grubb had it on his summer list and he's been on point all summer.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Kojima also doesn't seem like the kind of person who's so outwardly spiteful that he'd be like "I'm just gonna use all the ideas I had for my Silent Hill game and make it without the Silent Hill name".

If he IS making a new horror game, it's probably an entirely new idea.

Yeah, probably, but we don't really know if those ideas ever really were put into any practice at Konami since the project had so little work done. All we know is he had a lot of vague ideas for what he might have done, and all of those were on the technical side.

My point was that the game wasn't far enough along to be 'revived' without Kojima anyway, so I don't think any ideas would be used since most of those ideas probably never existed in any tangible way to begin with

Jeff grubb had it on his summer list and he's been on point all summer.

That's not the same thing as being confirmed

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think if it was a return to fantasy Yoshida directed FF it wouldn't be a big drop? (if it was timed exclusive)

I think we need to stop encouraging timed exclusives, period.

Yeah, probably, but we don't really know if those ideas ever really were put into any practice at Konami since the project had so little work done. All we know is he had a lot of vague ideas for what he might have done, and all of those were on the technical side.

My point was that the game wasn't far enough along to be 'revived' without Kojima anyway, so I don't think any ideas would be used since most of those ideas probably never existed in any tangible way to begin with

All true as well. Silent Hills was never a "game" in a strict sense. It was a concept Kojima was trying to get buy-in for as a final gamble and it failed.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
What's the date of the August show? I can't find that Sony ever said they have a presentation in August.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In what universe is Silent Hill a megaton and Final Fantasy not?

I never said it was. My whole point is that a multiplatform game is not a megaton. We all know FF16 is coming eventually, a game that isn't exclusive to Playstation is not the kind of super-amazing announcement that would shock everyone.

What's the date of the August show? I can't find that Sony ever said they have a presentation in August.

It hasn't been announced yet. Everyone is just going wild with speculation.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Grubb has been hitting home runs since like April, so I don't doubt him.

Also, even without Grubb, it would be easy to predict Sony doing something in August (or early Sept), as they've got to get PS5 preorders going. UI reveal (which was "coming soon" weeks ago), more details on BC, changes to PS+/PSNow (if any), launch details, etc.

All of that in a new showcase soon seems like a no-brainer. Whether new game reveals will happen with all of that is anyone's guess. There's still a lot to show regarding the games they'll be trying to sell at launch/launch window.
I'm apprehensive to believe more unrevealed stuff will be shown considering everything else that needs to be covered before launch unless one of the proven vet insiders confirm it.
God I hope I'm wrong.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I never said it was. My whole point is that a multiplatform game is not a megaton. We all know FF16 is coming eventually, a game that isn't exclusive to Playstation is not the kind of super-amazing announcement that would shock everyone.

That's a VERY strange perspective. Only exclusive games can be megatons? WTF? I don't know if this is a console war thing or not, but it's certainly a weird perspective. And it reads that you're saying on Playstation exclusives can be some kind of "super-amazing announcement that would shock everyone"

Seriously, wtf is this??

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
That's a VERY strange perspective. Only exclusive games can be megatons? WTF? I don't know if this is a console war thing or not, but it's certainly a weird perspective. And it reads that you're saying on Playstation exclusives can be some kind of "super-amazing announcement that would shock everyone"

Seriously, wtf is this??

I... think you are severely misinterpreting what PlanetSmasher is saying.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Seriously, wtf is this??

I'm saying that it's not a megaton for Sony to show a trailer of a game that everyone knows is coming and that everyone knows will be on every platform but Switch.

Megaton announcements are typically shocking, unexpected games and huge key exclusive titles, NOT obvious, inevitable sequels.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
SH is ''dead'', FF isn't.
Everyone knows that FF16 will arrive one day, and if it's exclusive it's even worse, SH people will give a pass since, in theory, it would not even exist without Sony(and the developers), so it's "ok" to be exclusive, but FF?
It's a franchise that's doing (really) well, its image is associated with Sony but it's a franchise that is multiplataform since a decade ago, so I couldn't care less about this game being exclusive, it's not like they need it.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Everyone knows that FF16 will arrive one day, and if it's exclusive it's even worse, SH people will give a pass since, in theory, it would not even exist without Sony(and the developers), so it's "ok" to be exclusive, but FF?
It's a franchise that's doing (really) well, its image is associated with Sony but it's a franchise that is multiplataform since a decade ago, so I couldn't care less about this game being exclusive, it's not like they need it.

Personally FFXVI being shown would be a hype-explosion despite knowing damn well it's in development and coming.

Why?
Because it will be the first new offline mainline FF reveal in fourteen damn years. I'm talking new Amano logo, overall aesthetic reveal, presumed first look at a new mainline FF protagonist, etc. Crazy to think about.

I would not classify it as a megaton for me, because I usually reserve those for games I didn't see coming and legitimately surprise me.

SIE/Japan Studio Silent Hill would still be megaton level to me, because despite all the smoke, it's still not confirmed. My heart says YES but my brain still says NO. The very reality of it actually existing would/will be huge to me. 😅

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I'm saying that it's not a megaton for Sony to show a trailer of a game that everyone knows is coming and that everyone knows will be on every platform but Switch.

Megaton announcements are typically shocking, unexpected games and huge key exclusive titles, NOT obvious, inevitable sequels.
So you don't think Shenmue 3 would have had the same impact if it was announced coming to Xbox as well? I strongly disagree with that. I think exclusives have very little to do with what is or is not a megaton. I guess console warriors want to hype up so-called megatons to say ha look at this amazing megaton only coming to Playstation or Xbox. But that's always silly.

The same with Silent Hill. IF/when it is announced, if it ended up coming to Xbox One that would not take away the fact that it's a megaton and holy shit Silent Hill is back!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So you don't think Shenmue 3 would have had the same impact if it was announced coming to Xbox as well? I strongly disagree with that. I think exclusives have very little to do with what is or is not a megaton. I guess console warriors want to hype up so-called megatons to say ha look at this amazing megaton only coming to Playstation or Xbox. But that's always silly.

The same with Silent Hill. IF/when it is announced, if it ended up coming to Xbox One that would not take away the fact that it's a megaton and holy shit Silent Hill is back!

Shenmue 3 was a massive shock. Final Fantasy XVI is not a shocking announcement.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Shenmue 3 was a massive shock. Final Fantasy XVI is not a shocking announcement.
Okay, so we agree. It's more to do with something unexpected that is liked by the core gaming community, often based on nostalgia. It has little to do with whether it's exclusive or not. I guess you could argue that the dev could add to the megaton, but in this case I think whether it was Sony or Konami wouldn't make much of a difference, as long as it is a return to its roots (which it sounds like it is based on rumors).

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Okay, so we agree. It's more to do with something unexpected that is liked by the core gaming community, often based on nostalgia. It has little to do with whether it's exclusive or not. I guess you could argue that the dev could add to the megaton, but in this case I think whether it was Sony or Konami wouldn't make much of a difference, as long as it is a return to its roots (which it sounds like it is based on rumors).

These days it could make a huge difference.

SIE carries with it an undeniable seal of quality and Sony has been heralded for generations for allowing their devs comfortable amounts of creative freedom. That, combined with reuniting Toyama (a SIE employee) with the series he helped create could be massive.

Konami, on the other hand, has proven since post-PS2 era that they are more than willing to cast aside incredible in-house talent for cheaper out-sourced alternatives. They have mishandled (or straight up abandoned) basically all of their familiar IPs and in one of the most profitable gaming cycles in generations they only managed to put out a handful of poorly received console games. Those games were after-thoughts, not events.
If Konami was solely responsible for a new Silent Hill, it would actually be anti-hype for me unless they straight up brought back the entire creative teams from SH2 & 3, gave them at the least a high AA budget, and allowed them practically complete creative freedom. I'd have to see it to believe it, because in 2020 I don't believe for a second that Konami would be capable of any of that.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It'll be revealed when you least expect it.
LrBV.gif

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

Most won't know this, but this is something Katharsis told me to look out for this year to show he was telling the truth and it'd be revealed this year. Junji Ito and Kojima working together on a manga and thinking about a game. So this is actually a huge development for this rumor. They've been collaborating on something together is part of what I was told.

Oct 25, 2017

Most won't know this, but this is something Katharsis told me to look out for this year to show he was telling the truth and it'd be revealed this year. Junji Ito and Kojima working together on a manga and thinking about a game. So this is actually a huge development for this rumor. They've been collaborating on something together is part of what I was told.

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

5Y7.gif

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Considering Junji Ito was already planning to work on Silent Hills (fuck ME that would've been legendary), it's not shocking.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima working with Junji Ito on a horror game isn't way out there in terms of of probability.
Considering Junji Ito was already planning to work on Silent Hills (fuck ME that would've been legendary), it's not shocking.
Junji Ito was planned to help on Silent Hills even though he didn't do anything for the game really, but that's not what this is about. The thing is this fits precisely with what I heard, IE Junji Ito and Kojima were already collaborating and talking over something else that wasn't Silent Hill, they are working on a manga together and were thinking about doing a game together with the two of them being the key people to conceptualize it together.

I understand on the surface it's, "Well he was going to be part of Silent Hills, so it's not that surprising," but I mean specifically this fits exactly with how Katharsis said Junji Ito's exact place in all of this was, IE not attached to Silent Hills but attended some Silent Hills meetings with Kojima when Kojima was deciding what project to go forward with, collaborating with Kojima already on a manga, he and Kojima were thinking of teaming up to do a game with the two of them being the creative leads, etc. And I was told specifically around summer there'd be more coming out with the two of them talking about their collaboration even.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I think it has more to do with Silent Hill already primarily being a PlayStation franchise. That's really the only system the series has consistently released on.
  • Silent Hill (1999) - PlayStation Exclusive
  • Silent Hill 2 - Timed PlayStation 2 Exclusive
  • Silent Hill 3 - Only on PlayStation 2 and PC
  • Silent Hill 4 - Multiplatform
  • Silent Hill 0 - PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable Exclusive
  • Silent Hill: Homecoming - Multiplatform
  • Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - Originally Wii Exclusive, but only ported to PlayStation later on
  • Silent Hill: Downpour - Only on PlayStation 3 and X-Box 360
  • Silent Hill: Book of Memories - PlayStation Vita Exclusive
  • Silent Hills: Playable Teaser - PlayStation 4 Exclusive
Only two games have been multi-platform at launch (and three at all), only three have been released on PC, only one has been released on Nintendo, and only two have been released on an X-Box. All of them have been released on a PlayStation. Its Japanese successor-counterpart Forbidden Siren (from team members of the first game) is also a PlayStation series, so there's that as well.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Junji Ito was planned to help on Silent Hills even though he didn't do anything for the game really, but that's not what this is about. The thing is this fits precisely with what I heard, IE Junji Ito and Kojima were already collaborating and talking over something else that wasn't Silent Hill, they are working on a manga together and were thinking about doing a game together with the two of them being the key people to conceptualize it together.

I understand on the surface it's, "Well he was going to be part of Silent Hills, so it's not that surprising," but I mean specifically this fits exactly with how Katharsis said Junji Ito's exact place in all of this was, IE not attached to Silent Hills but attended some Silent Hills meetings with Kojima when Kojima was deciding what project to go forward with, collaborating with Kojima already on a manga, he and Kojima were thinking of teaming up to do a game with the two of them being the creative leads, etc. And I was told specifically around summer there'd be more coming out with the two of them talking about their collaboration even.
Yeah I mean, I was just saying in general I'm not surprised he's working with Kojima again, wasn't really responding to your post.

Cool to know about what Katharsis said I guess, but at this point this kind of stuff doesn't really encourage me any more or less. I can only really hear "this lines up with what I've heard" so many times, with nothing super concrete for us really go on, before it just ceases to have an effect. I (mostly) don't doubt it exists, but for now I'll just continue to assume it's coming and we'll see it God knows when.

Status
Not open for further replies.