• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I would not. I am not interested in a "let's see who can buy up exclusivity on the most third party games" arms race between Sony and Microsoft.

Assuming it would start an arms race in the first place. In isolation I see nothing wrong with this, especially if it means seeing franchises revived. Why should good IP just lay dormant because their publisher doesn't give a shit? It's also very different when, if this rumour is to be believed, the platformholder is actively involved in the development of the game and not just throwing money to keep it off another platform.

Oct 25, 2017
I would be beyond ecstatic if Sony were able to bring these IPs back, especially Castlevania.

I'm exciteed for:
Castlevania because I imagine it will be in the vein of Bloodborne..
Silent Hills because it will be the payoff for the brilliance that is P.T.
Metal Gear, while already a complete series, will bring us a brand new stealth action game. Something that is sorely missed.

Silent Hill seems to be the only Konami IP Sony is working on.

New Details Compiled

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
An insider here posted this and then we had confirmation by a mod that they verified the information
The only thing I can 100% confirm is the SH reboot with Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka. It'll be announced in the next few months.
Stepping in now before it gets derailed:

Staff has verified the information this user has on this subject.
And when asked whether it's about access to such information or the information itself:
The information itself
More information:
PS5 exclusive since it's developped internally by Japan Studio. Might come to PC a few years later but I highly doubt it.
They're doing that because they're getting most of the financial revenue, it's a system seller and to keep the exclusive.
The original director, artist and composer are all working on the project. Thought this was worth a separate thread since this info got buried in page 37 of that rumor thread, and many people won't know/check back in there.

Last edited:

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
This whole "New Silent Hill game in development" rumors roller coaster makes me feel like I am in Silent Hill.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
this is a really hard thing to do because the 32 bit limitations of the PSX only increased the creepiness of the enviroment...I dont want a too clean SH

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Castlevania does not even have any logic to it. Sony HAS Toyama and Kojima on its payroll, they have the devs needed for a Silent Hill/MGS game. Not one of the known devs under the SIE Japan umbrella is obviously equipped to handle Castlevania.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
You literally followed along with the conversation in the other thread where we're all talking about it, and made a new thread about it?

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about SH (too scary for me), but I can imagine for the series fan, this has been a roller-coaster of emotions, ain't it?

Silent-Hill-2-Angela.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it would start an arms race in the first place. In isolation I see nothing wrong with this, especially if it means seeing franchises revived. Why should good IP just lay dormant because their publisher doesn't give a shit? It's also very different when, if this rumour is to be believed, the platformholder is actively involved in the development of the game and not just throwing money to keep it off another platform.

I see no reason to believe that if Sony is successful with something like this, Microsoft won't do the same. They've historically had way more trouble than Sony does with establishing lasting first-party IP, so locking down a third party IP that people recognize and care about would definitely be the kind of thing they would do.

Hell, they already DID IT with Dead Rising this gen. Series went multiplatform for the 2 series of games, and then they locked it back down for 3 and 4. You STILL can't play Dead Rising 3 on PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Those examples you gave are not remotely the same though since DMC and Final Fantasy are huge IPs and have a competent company that owns them. But Bayonetta 3 wouldn't have been made, SFV wasnt getting made if Nintendo and Sony dont step in to help fund. I'd rather a defunct franchise get resurrected by any of the big 3 then not exist at all.
This is inaccurate

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Toyama SH reboot got lumped in with Koji Silent Hills rumor, which even insiders said wasn't 100% locked in, and the Konami IP acquisition talk which was clearly BS.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sony Studios work on Demon Souls and Bloodborne should show they get horror.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's really happening? Can definitely see the news drop with a trailer at PS5 hardware reveal event. Oh man this is going to be the best news going into a new generation.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
You literally followed along with the conversation in the other thread where we're all talking about it, and made a new thread about it?
Yes? most people won't be reading page 37 of some rumor thread. I didn't and if it wasn't for someone in the SIE first party thread mentioning this, I wouldn't have known about it.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I see no reason to believe that if Sony is successful with something like this, Microsoft won't do the same. They've historically had way more trouble than Sony does with establishing lasting first-party IP, so locking down a third party IP that people recognize and care about would definitely be the kind of thing they would do.

Hell, they already DID IT with Dead Rising this gen. Series went multiplatform for the 2 series of games, and then they locked it back down for 3 and 4. You STILL can't play Dead Rising 3 on PS4.

One example out of how many games that released this generation? On the contrary, there's no reason to believe Microsoft would do the same. They didn't in response to Street Fighter V, and given the situation they're in in Japan, with two very successful competitors, the chances of this becoming a widespread thing are minimal.

And besides, why does this even matter in the context of games that would have flat out not existed in the first place? Like Bayonetta 2, 3 and in this instance, Silent Hills. Microsoft isn't going to respond to a platform holder-backed funding of a dormant IP by buying the rights to a AAA, perfectly alive and healthy IP. It defies logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.