• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
With Blood Curse, once you get a hang of the combat, you can easily kill the enemies when you find a weapon and be free to explore around, just as long as you don't get careless.

Can't do that with Siren 1, though. That game definitely requires you to hide all the time and punishes you for the slightest mistake.

To be honest, I would say that Blood Curse actually kind of plays more like the original Silent Hill games than it does the original Siren.

Oh definitely. I think I got further in Blood Curse than Siren 1. I think I stopped partly because of the gameplay, partly because of how busy I was when I still had my subscription on PS Now. I might come back to it again though!

I'm not gonna get into whether Pyramidhead is only James' demon or not, but I always took that painting as something only James saw. I can't imagine that specific image being hung in a historical society in some small town vacation spot.

I remember reading about a supplemental material from Silent Hill 4 that alludes to there being a Pyramid Head-like figure/ritual in the Silent Hill cult.

Honestly, I don't think it matters whether or not it exists outside of James' consciousness. Pyramid Head has just been misused by subsequent development teams for the fan service, while completely misunderstanding the appeal of Pyramid Head as a concept, rather than as a design. I'm sure if Toyama figures out a way to put Pyramid Head to good use, it won't matter much to fans.

But since you have Ito back, might as well let him do new designs altogether.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
If new rumored Silent Hill manage to get Toyama, Ito, and Yamaoka back again, how about Konami do the same thing and get Suikoden 1 & 2 staffs back?

Which means Murayama, Higashino, Ishikawa, etc, all of them back for Suikoden 6.

God of War 2018 with Cory Barlog at the helm definitely not wasted too.

Konami ain't Sony so the answer is pretty simple lol. You ain't gonna get a Suidoken with a new staff let alone with the old one.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
But since you have Ito back, might as well let him do new designs altogether.

I'm actually super excited that Ito is back. As much as Pyramidhead and the SH2 monsters were disturbing, there's just something about the SH3 creatures that STILL freaks me out on a primal level all these years (and a half dozen play throughs) later. None of the non-Team Silent monster designs have been able to even hint at his level of brilliance.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually super excited that Ito is back. As much as Pyramidhead and the SH2 monsters were disturbing, there's just something about the SH3 creatures that STILL freaks me out on a primal level all these years (and a half dozen play throughs) later. None of the non-Team Silent monster designs have been able to even hint at his level of brilliance.
Heck, Ito's absence was even noticeable in Silent Hill 4, which had very hit-and-miss monster designs.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Heck, Ito's absence was even noticeable in Silent Hill 4, which had very hit-and-miss monster designs.

I actually think the monster designs in SH4 were pretty damn amazing in their appearances but they were really let down by their poor or lack of sound design and implementation. For example, in initial trailers for SH4, the Twin Victims had sound effects that were completely absent from the main game. See here (at 2:33 if the timestamp doesn't work):

The burping nurses were a huge misstep on the dev team's part too despite appearing really menacing in the game's trailers. I mean, how was anyone supposed to take this shit seriously lol:

These designs are far better than anything found in most horror titles. I think they had the potential to be really terrifying had the game been given more time in development.

20120514-151337.jpg

20120514-152155.jpg

20120514-152551.jpg

20120514-183927.jpg

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I agree on the Twin Victims and Patients having great designs which were let down by...less than stellar sound effects. Lol. But I feel the other creature designs like the sniffer dogs, wall men, and gum heads were rather uninspired compared to the previous games. The ghosts especially were the most disappointing, design-wise. I mean, look at them:
latest

They look like floating zombies. Compare them to the ghosts in Fatal Frame, which have really awesome designs.

Fatal-Frame-Kusabi.jpg

db7lzo0-1be4b373-1855-4dbc-882c-a8efccc48bf9.jpg

Why couldn't Silent Hill 4's ghosts have looked more like Fatal Frame's ghosts? They instead just look kind of stupid. Bah, so many missed opportunities

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I agree on the Twin Victims and Patients having great designs which were let down by...less than stellar sound effects. Lol. But I feel the other creature designs like the sniffer dogs, wall men, and gum heads were rather uninspired compared to the previous games. The ghosts especially were the most disappointing, design-wise. I mean, look at them:
latest

They look like floating zombies. Compare them to the ghosts in Fatal Frame, which have really awesome designs.

Fatal-Frame-Kusabi.jpg

Why couldn't Silent Hill 4's ghosts have looked more like Fatal Frame's ghosts? They instead just look kind of stupid. Bah, so many missed opportunities

Yeah, fair point. The ghosts in SH4 left me a terrified, stuttering mess as a youngin, but they looked so goofy when I played the game again a few years ago lol.

Silent Hill 4 is one of those titles whose development I wish we could get more insight into. The game in my opinion had all the potential to be one of the best, if not the best, in the series but something clearly went wrong in development.

The game clearly suffered from a lack of dev time (hence the awful controls, re-used environments and backtracking) and what I suspect might have been interference from Konami that made them deviate from the game's original vision that resulted in them shoehorning the cult into game's story. The game's initial themes of social anxiety, loneliness, and alienation seem completely incongruent with the Walter Sullivan plot.

I still hope we get to see a Team Silent-led SH game one day that explores the kind of subject matter SH4 touches on. It has the potential to be pretty incredible imo.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
I want to be absolutely clear with everyone here.

For now, it's planned in May. But it could be delayed a little to June. Covid-19 doesn't help at all and plans change a lot these days. I want to give you this window so I'm not bashed (or sacrificed, lol) if plans change a little. It depends on Xbox event too.

It's still in May as of now but it might change.

What I'm absolutely certain of is that SH will be revealed during this PS5 event, not in a random tuesday tweet.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
I want to be absolutely clear with everyone here.

For now, it's planned in May. But it could be delayed a little to June. Covid-19 doesn't help at all and plans change a lot these days. I want to give you this window so I'm not bashed (or sacrificed, lol) if plans change a little. It depends on Xbox event too.

It's still in May as of now but it might change.

What I'm absolutely certain of is that SH will be revealed during this PS5 event, not in a random tuesday tweet.

But that :

I absolutely don't know when Sony will make the full reveal of the PS5 with games

I assume that the PS5 event will be digital if we don't find a solution for this virus soon and that Silent Hill could be announced during this event. If not, it'll be before the PS5 launch if Sony don't change plans. Maximum in October

That is only 1 week old...

Guess your "plan has changed"...

And I guess the fact that this change of speech comes just after Zhuge hinted at the possibility of an event in May is pure coincidence...

Last edited:

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
But that :

And I guess the fact that this change of speech comes just after Zhuge hinted at the possibility of an event in May is pure coincidence...
Nothing related to ZHugeEx. Actually, 3 days after I said that, I got the info about the PS5 reveal and SH. I've just waited a few days to say it.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Hi KatharsisT ,appreciate all the info (: I wonder if you know what engine the game runs on,is it UE4/something proprietary?
Thank you ! Unfortunately, I've no info about the engine.
Do we really need to talk about your Death Stranding nonsense proven wrong ?
Don't believe me if you don't want to. Nothing has been proven wrong, but if you think I'm saying bullshit, it's your opinion. We'll see in May/June if I was wrong about SH.

Oct 27, 2017
Hi KatharsisT ,appreciate all the info (: I wonder if you know what engine the game runs on,is it UE4/something proprietary?

Maybe Sony will deliver the Decima engine on a USB drive in a box for this too.

And the box is rusty.

And locked.

And the devs have to solve a batshit crazy hard puzzle based on Shakespeare plays to open it.

And in the box is a note saying 'There was an engine here. It is gone now.'

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
I am still guessing the floodgates have to open by mid-May-ish at the latest. That would be about 6 months before next-gen consoles are out and I would imagine publishers have their own marketing plans and schedules that they are comfortable with and would like to stick to in order to market their games.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
But that :

Hmmm. That is strange.

Katharsis, are your sources different to DuskGolem's on this SH info?

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
I would say it's much harder to explore around in SH3 than it is in 1. You can easily kill all of the indoor monsters once you grab the hammer in 1, and you can also clean out the school with a bit of strategy. Exploring around the town can be a bit difficult due to the air screamers constantly harassing you, but I always felt like the intention with 1 was that you run through the street sections and take your time with the indoor sections.

In contrast, all of the monsters are much more aggressive and persistent in 3, and you don't get overpowered weapons to easily deal with them. When I play 3, I find myself running from monsters a lot whereas I usually just kill everything I encounter in 1 and 2.
Yes, interior exploration is fine, mostly. I was more referring to the streets, especially in the later half when the rompers are all over. I just want to see the town, leave me alone.

You're right about 3, but that never bothered me as much because it's the same assets as 2 and pretty much everything is blocked anyway. I did all my exploring in SH2

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, fair point. The ghosts in SH4 left me a terrified, stuttering mess as a youngin, but they looked so goofy when I played the game again a few years ago lol.

Silent Hill 4 is one of those titles whose development I wish we could get more insight into. The game in my opinion had all the potential to be one of the best, if not the best, in the series but something clearly went wrong in development.

The game clearly suffered from a lack of dev time (hence the awful controls, re-used environments and backtracking) and what I suspect might have been interference from Konami that made them deviate from the game's original vision that resulted in them shoehorning the cult into game's story. The game's initial themes of social anxiety, loneliness, and alienation seem completely incongruent with the Walter Sullivan plot.

I still hope we get to see a Team Silent-led SH game one day that explores the kind of subject matter SH4 touches on. It has the potential to be pretty incredible imo.

That part of it being not a SH game was just a myth and not true. The game was planned to be a Silent Hill game from start but to be be expereinced in a difefernt way. But like you said something may have happened and many elements got scamped or cut. Where Silent Hill 4 didn't succeed, P.T succeeded. They have basically the same concept but P.T. was better executed.
SH4 had the best story and most terrifying one in the whole lore that I wished it was given more care.

latest

Fatal-Frame-Kusabi.jpg

Monsters' designs in SH4 weren't bad, just some of the sounds. But I agree on ghosts.

It just dawned on me that this game might actually be too scary

If this is the base inspiration for next-gen Silent Hill. Then our hearts are officially screwed:

L_sK

Oct 27, 2017

Don't believe me if you don't want to. Nothing has been proven wrong, but if you think I'm saying bullshit, it's your opinion. We'll see in May/June if I was wrong about SH.

What's the point of saying of "i know things" and not sharing specific things ? And as Phoenix15 said, you totally changed your mind in just 1 week.

If you want people to believe you, that is not the best way to do it.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I wouldn't put certainty on any timeline's right now with the state of the world.

MS is also going through corona virus and they seem to be doing everything when they want to.

But yeah...May / June seems like we're getting fed.
I just hope Sony doesn't take too long after MS...

Also...5/5 for the reveal of the PS5 seems like a given. It's also a Tuesday so we're getting the hardware reveal that day. Bookmark me 👀 (not an insider. just a prediction)

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
What's the point of saying of "i know things" and not sharing specific things ? And as Phoenix15 said, you totally changed your mind in just 1 week.

If you want people to believe you, that is not the best way to do it.

Or maybe he didn't change his mind?
Maybe...just maybe now he got word of that official presentation.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Maybe Sony will deliver the Decima engine on a USB drive in a box for this too.

And the box is rusty.

And locked.

And the devs have to solve a batshit crazy hard puzzle based on Shakespeare plays to open it.

And in the box is a note saying 'There was an engine here. It is gone now.'

Nope.

Japan Studio have always used their own proprietary game engine so I imagine SH will run on that.

Exactly. Not just Japan Studio but also Team Silent. They are very capabale of having their own engine that suits their needs and they are very fond of it and I am sure this is what they are doing.

Tbh, Enough of games looking all the same using same engine. At least let first party games sttnad out and each using their own engine.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
That's absolutely got to be Ito. If the style doesn't give it way, well, Ito was contracted for the West-developed Silent Hills whenever they needed someone to draw Pyramid Head. Except for joke endings, no one except Ito drew good ol' PH. And I believe this includes the movie.

Welcome to be corrected here, but that's my knowledge of the situation.
Well, it would be great to get that confirmation. Ito has condemned all other appearances of PH in other media other than SH2, so it would be a bit at odds for him to contribute designing him for the movies and Homecoming. On the other hand, a dude has to eat.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017

My man, don't mind them. I believe you and others do as well. Don't take the haters to heart, it is cool of you to drop by and share what you can without putting yourself or your sources at risk.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Why couldn't Silent Hill 4's ghosts have looked more like Fatal Frame's ghosts?

Nah. Fatal Frame is Fatal Frame and Silent Hill is Silent Hill. The latter doesn't need to take anything from the former (particularly the monsters). Both series' worked on their own merits and the monsters were part of that.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't put certainty on any timeline's right now with the state of the world. But staff has vetted KatharsisT, so I put stock in his information

Honestly feels like this should be highlighted even more. Sony was going to skip E3 this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were planning to have revealed the PS5 before then just to get ahead of the E3 news cycle (and probably let the third party publishers announce their PS5 games in their respective conferences). I could see the Covid pandemic screwing their plans and now they're trying to make a Plan B.

The positive side though is that a lot of the developers who were going to reveal their games have probably been working on a vertical slice of their games or are close to finishing them. It's just a matter of what format the presentation is going to be and when.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it would be great to get that confirmation. Ito has condemned all other appearances of PH in other media other than SH2, so it would be a bit at odds for him to contribute designing him for the movies and Homecoming. On the other hand, a dude has to eat.
He was hired to design the box art for Homecoming in Japan, but it got cancelled. Konami also hired him to do Downpour's box art for the JPN release, too.

Otherwise, any time he draws PH, whether it be a full work or a crude sketch-style, it's always the SH2 version

Last edited:

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Fatal Frame is Fatal Frame and Silent Hill is Silent Hill. The latter doesn't need to take anything from the former (particularly the monsters). Both series' worked on their own merits and the monsters were part of that.
I'm referring to how Silent Hill 4's ghosts don't work on their own merits, especially in comparison to the monster designs the early games were known for. If Fatal Frame could have creative designs for it's ghosts, than why couldn't Silent Hill, a series famous for it's macabre monster designs, have done the same? Why do they instead look like floating zombies?

keku

Apr 23, 2019
Real time world change in Silent Hill would be awesome. Include some elements of Zelda's time manipulation dungeon mechanics and it could be very interesting

Oct 25, 2017
MS is also going through corona virus and they seem to be doing everything when they want to.

But yeah...May / June seems like we're getting fed.
I just hope Sony doesn't take too long after MS...

Also...5/5 for the reveal of the PS5 seems like a given. It's also a Tuesday so we're getting the hardware reveal that day. Bookmark me 👀 (not an insider. just a prediction)

Eh I wouldn't get your hopes up for a 5/5 reveal.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
He was hired to design the box art for Homecoming in Japan, but it got cancelled. Konami also hired him to do Downpour's box art for the JPN release, too.

Otherwise, any time he draws PH, whether it be a full work or a crude sketch-style, it's always the SH2 version

Interesting, suppose he did design the Homecoming PH then.

uANj3sB1zhzm49_3NmYmUPiyT1UINhnRorFhOC3c_hwAGngBk7OEGRgsEA_cdtUtakWLXwa9gNGa83ooht4NtgNHjkhbZQnNKDaBaZM3sEuj_R6xcNI8WcuJ_DdL6c2z

I'd still be interested in if he prefers the Homecoming design or SH2's design.

Status
Not open for further replies.