• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2018
soiOBOZ

Moisturize me!

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
A composer can work on multiple games at the same time. And I haven't seen anywhere that The Medium was a Xbox exclusive so what's the problem ?

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I guess we'll see. Things could happen that might push the reveal back a bit, but I still believe that a Silent Hill reboot is being made right now. There's too many signs that point to it.

Eh, I mean, is there, though? Outside a few insiders saying it, what 'signs' are there really? I want and hope for it to be true, too, but I think that's overstating things a lot

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
You clearly have no idea how composers work.
I do by the nature of my work (working with two right now, actually). What I meant is the similarities of some aspects of the games like the other world and some music sensibilities. I would feel awkward if I was working on a game inspired by another series that is not expected to resurface but does. Of course, there is place for both to exist, it's just a funny thought.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
Eh, I mean, is there, though? Outside a few insiders saying it, what 'signs' are there really? I want and hope for it to be true, too, but I think that's overstating things a lot
I guess not really signs, but more along the lines of where there's smoke there's usually fire. I have a hard time believing we're hearing all this stuff for nothing.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I guess not really signs, but more along the lines of where there's smoke there's usually fire. I have a hard time believing we're hearing all this stuff for nothing.

Well, even though there's some reliable folks who obviously have some connections here, it's been shown that a lot of bad information can get around. We head rumors for like a year or more that a Star Fox game was coming from Retro that, at this point, looks like it never existed in any form.

So, fingers crossed of course, but you always have to take these sort of things with a grain of salt no matter who it's form.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
Well, even though there's some reliable folks who obviously have some connections here, it's been shown that a lot of bad information can get around. We head rumors for like a year or more that a Star Fox game was coming from Retro that, at this point, looks like it never existed in any form.

So, fingers crossed of course, but you always have to take these sort of things with a grain of salt no matter who it's form.
That's a good point. I really want a new Silent Hill game so I'd like for it to be true, but it's probably better to take a cautious optimistic approach. Stranger things have happened.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently his information was verified by mods and admins.
Because the insider has been vetted by ResetEra staff. They say the reveal will be alongside the first PS5 event, which is looking like will happen in June.
He's been vetted by mods here, mainly Transistor, who has confirmed KatharsisT provided proof of the actual game existing.
Thank you all for explaining this.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Composers work on more than one project. I don't know why we are bringing this up. Think.

Anyway, from that clearing lecture in June 1999 I posted on previous page.

Takashi Mizutani, So Toyota and Tomokazu Fukushima were in the same team. Kojima, Hideki Sasaki and Yoji Shinkawa were in the same team. There were 4 teams in this lecture.

twitter.com

Henrik on Twitter

“"The issue is whether or not the 4 on the team share the same thoughts or not. That is key." /Different opinion Clearing lecture for MGS2, June 1999, approached by Sony Past predicted the future 1) KojiPro (Kojima, Sasaki, Shinkawa) 2) Team Sony (Mizutani, Toyota, Fukushima)”

It was not just about to learn realism in MGS2 but to trust each other. Whatever the operation is, you can go alone. The issue is whether or not the 4 on the team share the same thoughts or not.

What really happened was Mizutani, Toyota and Fukushima didn't share same thoughts with Kojima, Sasaki and Shinkawa. That's why Mizutani left before MGS3 was released and joined Sony. Mizutani, Toyota and Fukushima are team mates and share same thoughts which is most important for teamwork. If you don't trust each other, it's not going to work.

This clearing lecture predicted the future. MGS team has never parted ways like it did after MGS2.

Even with MGS4 it started to get dull. Peace Walker and MGSV Phantom Pain just realised that vision Kojima, Sasaki and Shinkawa were heading towards and Death Stranding was the end result of that direction. The kind of style I like lies with Mizutani, Toyota and Fukushima. Celebrities in a game was a mistake.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a lot of psychological horror potentially on the horizon, with the purported leaks about RE8 indicating it might be going for that angle. Exciting times!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the rumored Silent Hill game everyone is talking about? Has this all been a mix up? Was the game really a Silent Hill game?

It'd have to be way off the mark then given that the rumor is that SIE is going to develop a Silent Hill reboot with the original creator (Toyama) and some other original members (Yamaoka would be one). This game is Polish studio developing a horror game and Yamaoka is doing some tracks.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Is this the rumored Silent Hill game everyone is talking about? Has this all been a mix up? Was the game really a Silent Hill game?

Gonna quote myself from The Medium thread on this:

The Silent Hill reboot info specifically mentions SIE Japan Studio- Toyama (who works for Japan Studio), Ito, and Yamaoka- and a deal worked out between Sony & Konami. The SH name brand seems important here and is supposedly a big reason Sony didn't just get Toyama to make a new Siren.

Not sure how someone with such specific info as KatharsisT (that mods here haven't just vetted, but have gone out of their way in threads to point out they've been vetted) - as well as DuskGolem- would confuse a multiplat, small(er) team game with a PS5 exclusive SIE production.

Also, as has been pointed out, it appears Yamaoka's contribution on MEDIUM might just be in a 'guest composer' capacity. I'd expect his involvement in SIE SH to be a full OST, sound design, and possibly even an Exec Producer credit. We'll see.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Worst case scenario and the rumors turn out to be bullshit, it doesn't really create a bleaker timeline than the one we were already on following Silent Hills' cancellation and an indefinite hiatus. Even this leads to a bit of disappointment, I genuinely cherish having an excuse to be excited & hyped for the series again, and have used it as a jumping off point for my own little Silent Hill Celebration the past several weeks of quarantine: revisiting favorite entries, enjoying the mind-blowing OST, listening to SH related podcasts, watching the films, reading criticism, etc..

Outside of P.T., I hadn't returned to the series since getting back into enthusiast gaming in 2013/2014, and honestly it's been one of the highlights of my gaming year so far.

Oct 29, 2017
A composer can work on multiple games at the same time. And I haven't seen anywhere that The Medium was a Xbox exclusive so what's the problem ?

The Medium is console exclusive to the XSX. Not a timed exclusive either.

twitter.com

Benji-Sales on Twitter

“Something that got lost a bit in today's busy news cycle 2 games from Inside Xbox, Scorn and The Medium are both next-gen / PC only (no cross-gen) and also console exclusive to Xbox Series X Pretty interesting info and surprised that wasn't highlighted more”

Also, the official page cites the soundtrack as a dual soundtrack, which heavily implies Yamaoka and the other composer would have equal input for this game.

To be fair, someone recently tweeted Masahiro Ito and asked him if he's working on the game with Akira. Ito replied no, but said Akira "worked" on the Medium.

None of this necessarily negates the Team Silent new Silent Hill game rumor. It's still possible, and I hope my skepticism on the SH rumors is proven wrong.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

And Yamaoka is co-composing the game too, not doing the full music.

If anything, Yamoka is the sound director and a very influential member of the Silent Hill reboot and he is doing full music and most importantly the sound of the game while in Medium he is just a guest and an extra selling point for it more than anything.

The Silent Hill reboot info specifically mentions SIE Japan Studio- Toyama (who works for Japan Studio), Ito, and Yamaoka- and a deal worked out between Sony & Konami. The SH name brand seems important here and is supposedly a big reason Sony didn't just get Toyama to make a new Siren.

Not sure how someone with such specific info as KatharsisT (that mods here haven't just vetted, but have gone out of their way in threads to point out they've been vetted) - as well as DuskGolem- would confuse a multiplat, small(er) team game with a PS5 exclusive SIE production.

Also, as has been pointed out, it appears Yamaoka's contribution on MEDIUM might just be in a 'guest composer' capacity. I'd expect his involvement in SIE SH to be a full OST, sound design, and possibly even an Exec Producer credit. We'll see.

This.

Oct 29, 2017
It's possible Yamaoka worked on the Medium first before working on the SH reboot. The Medium is due out this year after all.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
To be fair, someone recently tweeted Masahiro Ito and asked him if he's working on the game with Akira. Ito replied no, but said Akira "worked" on the Medium.

None of this necessarily negates the Team Silent new Silent Hill game rumor. It's still possible, and I hope my skepticism on the SH rumors is proven wrong.
Of course a core team member is going to be honest on twitter and ruin the party for everyone. Think again.

Haven't we learned in the past developers and producers are under NDA policies to say anything to a random user or journalist.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The Medium existing makes me less interested in this, I hope they're both great but I get the feeling they won't be.

The Medium existing makes you less interested in 'the father' of Silent Hill returning to the series for the first time in 21 years while bringing his original art director (Masahiro Ito) and composer/sound designer (Akira Yamaoka) in tow for a game supposedly built from the ground up on PS5? Or am I misunderstanding?

Oct 25, 2017
The Medium existing makes me less interested in this, I hope they're both great but I get the feeling they won't be.

The studio behind Blair Witch making a game strongly inspired by Silent Hill 2 makes you less excited for a Team Silent reunion to make an actual AAA Silent Hill game with Sony's backing? I can't understand that reasoning.

It's possible Yamaoka worked on the Medium first before working on the SH reboot. The Medium is due out this year after all.

Silent Hill(if real) is probably a 2022 game.

Sep 14, 2018
The Medium existing makes you less interested in 'the father' of Silent Hill returning to the series for the first time in 21 years while bringing his original art director (Masahiro Ito) and composer/sound designer (Akira Yamaoka) in tow for a game supposedly built from the ground up on PS5? Or am I misunderstanding?
That's right, I don't need 2 of these lol. Coming back after 21 years is not exactly a selling point, who knows what they'll come up with...

addik

Oct 28, 2017

Lmao this

If the rumor was just Silent Hill being rebooted but with none of the original members returning, it wouldn't make me hyped for the reboot and I'd be more interested in The Medium. Even if Sony were out of the picture, the reboot rumor would still be more interesting because it's a reunion of sorts for the original Silent Hill devs, and I can't wait to see what they have in store for us 20+ years after they've worked together on a single game.

The Medium is a horror game that's clearly inspired by Silent Hill to the point the dev got Yamaoka to compose tracks for their game.

That said, I don't think it's a competition. The Medium looks interesting and I can't wait to know more. Similarly, I can't wait to know what Team Silent has in store for Silent Hill.

That's right, I don't need 2 of these lol. Coming back after 21 years is not exactly a selling point, who knows what they'll come up with...

For a lot of us SH fans, this is a big selling point. We've been asking Konami to have the original team work on a new Silent Hill game since Origins. But then, we got Homecoming instead.

It's not like these two games can't co-exist though lol

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

I sort of get what you're saying, but I don't think The Medium will be all that much like Silent Hill tbh. There's a clear inspiration there, but I'm pretty sure it was said to have no combat and is probably going to be in line with that developer's other games, which were like walking sim type things. At least I hope that's not what this Silent Hill will turn out being lol.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The Medium's developer doesn't exactly excite me much so I'm not sure how anyone falls on that side over an all star team returning to one of the most beloved horror franchises in gaming.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Idk I see the otherworld transition my mind goes "SH".

c0dCeMi.gif

I don't feel like combat really matters here but sure I'd rather it have some than being a straight walking sim.

The whole other world thing is a pretty common element in horror games at this point. You can find it in everything from Deadly Premonition to The Evil Within.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've already played indie games that are heavily inspired by Silent Hill, like Lone Survivor, Forgotten Memories, and Lost in Vivo (they even all have Otherworld sections). I'm ready for an official, good Silent Hill game again.

Oct 29, 2017
Of course a core team member is going to be honest on twitter and ruin the party for everyone. Think again.

Haven't we learned in the past developers and producers are under NDA policies to say anything to a random user or journalist.

Oops. I forgot to clarify that Ito said he's not working on the Medium.

To be honest, that doesn't even look all that much like a SH transition to me.

Yeah, it looks nothing like the Otherworld transitions in the classic Silent Hill games.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, that doesn't even look all that much like a SH transition to me.
It does look similar to the Otherworld transition in the movie and post-Team Silent games. It's definitely not what the transitions were like in the first four games, though. They were a lot more subtle with the shift to the Otherworld.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
It does look similar to the Otherworld transition in the movie and post-Team Silent games. It's definitely not what the transitions were like in the first four games, though. They were a lot more subtle with the shift to the Otherworld.

I don't even think it looks all that similar to that. Shit just kind of turns dusty in that gif lol. It doesn't even look like the environment degrades per say

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
The Medium will probably be pretty much a walking simulator, and if it was even competing at all, a new SH reveal would eclipse it completely.
You deserve the roasting you have received.
i finally figured out your one weakness, sesshomaru

7MglWPB.jpg

it will forever hang in my salon
DED

Sep 14, 2018
The whole other world thing is a pretty common element in horror games at this point. You can find it in everything from Deadly Premonition to The Evil Within.
Oh I've never played those, the point is it looks SH adjacent enough for me. But like I said I hope they both turn out great.
According to this, it is:
youtu.be

The Medium - Official Reveal with Gameplay

The Medium is a psychological horror game, featuring music by Akira Yamaoka and Arkadiusz Reikowski. Become a medium living in two worlds: the real and the s...

Last edited:

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Thank you for clarifying the thing about The Medium. Could be a timed exclusive like Blair Witch as MS didn't promote it as a full exclusive. Guess that time will tell.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
The Medium will probably be pretty much a walking simulator, and if it was even competing at all, a new SH reveal would eclipse it completely.

That's it. Don't underestimate a Sony 1st Party Game directed by Toyama with Ito and Yamaoka. I don't think The Medium will reach their level even if Yamaoka partially works on the OST. Japanese are the bests in term of ''horror'' games.

Status
Not open for further replies.