• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
It's supposed to have started development last year, say it takes them 3 years... late 2021? Assuming any of this information is real.

Late 2021 would not be 3 years. Which I think is about the minimum for new AAA game now. Especially from what is not a 200+ team.

Depends on the scope, maybe there's not much combat or any. Maybe it's more like Shattered Memories, gameplay-wise.

So trash? Not sure why so many want this undercooked to rush out.

Sep 14, 2018
Late 2021 would not be 3 years. Which I think is about the minimum for new AAA game now. Especially from what is not a 200+ team.
It would almost be 3 years if development started in january 2019 which is what I read, I think. Like I said it depends on the scope, maybe it's shorter, maybe combat is limited, etc.

No one's given details about the actual gameplay right? It may be like a good version of Shattered Memories, sounds good to me.

Oct 25, 2017

So how many months of development are they planning? I have seen people say it has been in active development anywhere from 12 to 18 months. If is closer to 12 that is a bit concerning about the scope of the game.

It would almost be 3 years if development started in january 2019 which is what I read, I think. Like I said it depends on the scope, maybe it's shorter, maybe combat is limited, etc.

No one's given details about the actual gameplay right? It may be like a good version of Shattered Memories, sounds good to me.

If it does not have any combat my hype is gone. I don't like walking sims or crap like Outlast where you constantly hide. I don't think it will go that route, but a shorter dev cycle is a bit suspect as far as the scope.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They hate games. Every thread they are in they spew constant toxic negativity. There the era equivalent of that Derrick fellow back on gaf.
No they don't... Like i said, specific games and genres.. And why shouldn't that user voice their opinion? Just because it is negative doesn't mean its toxic.

Actually that user really loves games... Perhaps ask that user why they are being negative about games to find out the reason? It's a powerful thing asking questions and having a conversation.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
So how many months of development are they planning? I have seen people say it has been in active development anywhere from 12 to 18 months. If is closer to 12 that is a bit concerning about the scope of the game.
The game has been in pre-production before they started the real dev, obviously. They know precisely where they wanna go with it. Japanese devs, with the help of SIE if they need it, don't need to have 4-5 years to make a linear game. Just look at Death Stranding with its open world. About 3 years of pure dev. I think they can finish Silent Hill before that, and that new hardware with the PS5 helps a lot too.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
9/24/2021 is the 20th anniversary of the greatest horror game ever made, and a Friday. It would be the perfect date for the series' glorious return.

Oct 26, 2017
The idea that Sony views this as a system seller to move units in the first year, but also this game will be made very quickly seems semi contradictory to me.

I think the rumors could be mostly true, but I highly doubt Sony views this as a hardware pusher.

Oct 25, 2017
The game has been in pre-production before they started the real dev, obviously. They know precisely where they wanna go with it. Japanese devs, with the help of SIE if they need it, don't need to have 4-5 years to make a linear game. Just look at Death Stranding with its open world. About 3 years of pure dev. I think they can finish Silent Hill before that, and that new hardware with the PS5 helps a lot too.

That's true about Death Stranding. Just don't want another RE3 Remake situation with a short campaign and little replay value.

Shawn128

Oct 27, 2017
As an old school Konami fan, I have particularly enjoyed following this thread over the past few months. I'd like to offer kudos to all the posters giving updates and figuring things out. I was originally dismissive of these rumors when I first heard them, but now I feel like an insider like you all when I read all the rumors and insights going on about this. I have a couple of remaining questions, apologies if they've been answered in this thread already (I've tried to skim through it as best I can to catch up every few weeks).

1. What is the current state of Konami regarding game development at this point? Is there an easy guide I could reference somewhere? I'm always surprised these days when I hear they are developing something or something comes out like Castlevania Collection, so I appreciate any references anyone has.

2. What is in it for Konami if these deals did in fact go through and these games are being made? Are a lot of former Konami staff at Sony now? Is there a lot of interest on Sony's part to make these games happen on PS5?

Thanks!

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
The idea that Sony views this as a system seller to move units in the first year, but also this game will be made very quickly seems semi contradictory to me.

I think the rumors could be mostly true, but I highly doubt Sony views this as a hardware pusher.
Sony doesn't view this as a system seller because people will rush out to buy Silent Hill, they view it as a system seller because it creates goodwill in a specific hardcore crowd that has a ripple effect. It's literally the same thing as showing Shenmue 3 on your stage or bringing TLG back or funding a Kojima walkin sim.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
After Death Stranding I thought this forum would have learnt it's lesson about development times.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
That much depends on length, which based on the series' history, shouldn't exceed... 10 hours? A linear single-player game of that size is not going to demand as much time to make as, say, the new TLOU.

For the record, Toyama's last game (Gravity Rush 2) was developed in a similar period of three years and it's a 20-hour game. Bloodborne (another, in part, SIE Japan project) was also developed in less than three years. This notion of a system seller, I think it has more to do with interest than scope. Something like inFamous: Second Son was relatively small (barely 10 hours) and it was the closest PS4 had to a system seller for a year.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I like to stare at Ito's "Pyramid Head, RIP" tweet whenever I feel sad.

Also I hope that means we get a glimpse of a next-gen PH before he gets bodied.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
1. It doesn't seem like any release date has been suggested in the rumors from what I can see?
2. It's not The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone and Dreams were made in a short period of time.
1. I'm not suggesting/supporting a release date. All I'm saying is that this forum seems to think if a game doesn't take 5 years to make then it's an unrealistic time frame. Going off alot of people predictions on here Death Stranding wouldn't even bee releasing till next gen was fully in swing. Good quality AAA have been developed in 2-3 years and some 5+ years. Also KatharsisT has said it's planned for 2021.

2. Again, I'm not siding with one release date over another. It could take a long time to release like the game you listed or it could take a short to release like countless other games. Again what I'm highlighting is people only look at things like TLoU2 and think development times like that are hard and fast rules for every game. Bloodborne took 3 years, Death Stranding took 3 years, DMCV took 3 years, RE7 took 3 years etc...

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
twitter.com

Jon Webb on Twitter

“Great week visiting the team in Tokyo once again, compete with #hanami! With so much talent and passion for gaming around the world, even more greatness awaits @PlayStation!”

One team ready in hanami period in 2018 and that is Kouno's team.

This was before investors meeting on May 31 in 2018. John Kodera said they plan to franchising successful IPs and refresh existing IPs. Expand first party doesn't mean just new IPs. Before that meeting Sony didn't had a clear plan.

Japan Studio had problems with Iijima's team, Gavin Moore's team and even Toyama's team. New IPs are hard to succeed nowadays and with current track record for the studio Sony can't allow every team to take risk on a larger budget for a new IP after failures. Kouno has earned it because he was very successful in Japan and Europe with the small game he made for PSP. North America didn't care for his game so he wants revenge on that region.

RaySpace has taken very long because it's a very costly project compared to what projects Japan Studio has made before and needs to be done right.

Up until Fall 2018 Sony heard about Konami was shopping around devs for Silent Hill. What I think regarded full crew as of now, RaySpace and Silent Hill are full teams. What is happening with Gavin Moore and Iijima can only speculate. I have heard about new Ape Escape since 2019 because after Knack II they were making a new IP.

Before investors meeting in 2018 Gavin Moore's team worked on his four ideas: "buddy movie, road trip, Kansas and Romania". Zhuge heard in 2018 around Fall 2018 that Japan Studio had canceled some projects. We got a remastered version of Castlevania Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night by WWS. Only Japan Studio would work on that.

Toyama's team was working on a new muggy horror IP but they were also trying with Siren and none of them worked out for Sony. Hence Toyama's words by wrapping up 2018: "troublesome year" and 2019 was "keyword: comeback!". He mentioned one thing after the other didn't panned out. Everything is backed up by Dusk Golem's info.

So there have been many projects being canceled in 2018. It lines up with investors meeting. Refresh existing IPs. MediaVision hired character designers who can properly draw models of people for an RPG for PS4 (PS5 didn't exist yet, Guerrilla hired for a PS4 project as well that changed later to a PS5 project). And in 2019 we heard from a insider on a new Wild Arms was in development by MediaVision.

What John Kodera meant at that investors meeting they are going to continue to make new IPs even if they want to expand on successful IPs and refresh existing IPs. But it won't just mean new IPs like before. They have existing IPs that deserve a second chance and have potential. Silent Hill is a rare case like with Spiderman.

Continue to make new IPs like RaySpace, what Housemarque had in development at the time, and same with Arrowhead.

Kouno's team is full crew and I assume Silent Hill is very easy to fill up because it's an established IP.

youtu.be

TEXELION

Do you think that Gavin's Moore project was also canceled ? It's a shame that Gavin Moore has not released a game since Puppeteer.

Three years of developpment seems a bit short at first but i don't expect this game to have a big scope so it should be fine.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
My biggest question abut this rumor is the insider saying that Sony is funding this game because it's a "system seller"

Don't think Sony thinks that way about Silent Hill.

I think that was more speculation on his part. There would be no way to know how the upper management of Sony would think in those terms without being part of them.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They hate games. Every thread they are in they spew constant toxic negativity. There the era equivalent of that Derrick fellow back on gaf.

You know you could just, y'know...talk to me...if you want to know the things I like and don't like.

This "he hates everything" meme is just a stupid shitty meme perpetuated by people who don't want to take the time to understand why I feel the way I feel about things and need a convenient boogeyman to point the finger at to protect their own hype.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
For all intents and purposes I was going to buy an Xbox (scarlett) with Gamepass because it's the no brainer deal.

An exclusive Silent Hill made by the original team was literally the only thing that would make me buy a PS5. It was also never going to happen.

And the madmen are doing it.

Sony knows.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest question abut this rumor is the insider saying that Sony is funding this game because it's a "system seller"

Don't think Sony thinks that way about Silent Hill.

Like The Last Guardian it would be a prestige project that adds to overall value of their games portfolio. It doesn't and probably isn't expected to be the next God of War but to entice people to the Sony ecosystem with unique and interesting titles.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Like The Last Guardian it would be a prestige project that adds to overall value of their games portfolio. It doesn't and probably isn't expected to be the next God of War but to entice people to the Sony ecosystem with unique and interesting titles.
And these prestige projects is exactly why I will yet again buy another PS. Really hope Sony has at least one of these types of games and collaborations every year on PS5. Please also do one with Platinum and Suda51, and of course FROM.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
With Silent Hill being back, you put all the hardcore horror fans in your pocket for the next generation and the nostalgics too. I mean, look a the success of RE2 and 3 remakes. It's still 2 or 3 millions consoles that could be sold just with Silent Hill in my opinion, and in the beginning of a new generation, it's really important.

But it's just my opinion, tho.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
With Silent Hill being back, you put all the hardcore horror fans in your pocket for the next generation and the nostalgics too. I mean, look a the success of RE2 and 3 remakes. It's still 2 or 3 millions consoles that could be sold just with Silent Hill in my opinion, and in the beginning of a new generation, it's really important.

I really don't think Silent Hill is going to sell 3 million consoles on its own. Half the time, the games don't even sell three million copies on hardware people already have.

May 26, 2018
I know I'd be in line to get a PS5 on launch day if it came with SH5. I mean, I know the game won't be out that soon, but still. I would buy a PS5 to play that damn game.

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020

What's your ideal POV for the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.