• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, that's what I tought you were asking, then, sorry, I wasn't sure.
Third-person.

Oh wow this is a big one for me. I was okay with the series going first-person with RE7's success and PT's reception, but I'm glad they're firmly sticking to the series' roots for now.

Also joining the big shout-out to Henrik!

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So, as of now, we are expecting Japan Studio to work on Silent Hill and Astrobot 2 for the first part of the gen, then Henrik with his research is speculating on a big AAA project in the works in some capacity for a few years that could maybe hit in the middle of the gen.
Anything else that we could speculate on? They could work on other external collaborations like KojiPro and From Software further down the road, and I know Japan Studio is in good ties with Matrix Software (Alundra) and MediaVision (Wild Arms), so I am lowkey still hoping for a JRPG coming this gen.

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
So, as of now, we are expecting Japan Studio to work on Silent Hill and Astrobot 2 for the first part of the gen, then Henrik with his research is speculating on a big AAA project in the works in some capacity for a few years that could maybe hit in the middle of the gen.
Anything else that we could speculate on? They could work on other external collaborations like KojiPro and From Software further down the road, and I know Japan Studio is in good ties with Matrix Software (Alundra) and MediaVision (Wild Arms), so I am lowkey still hoping for a JRPG coming this gen.
Silent Hill, Astrobot, and the mech game by Kuono's team would be a great output for Japan Studio. Really hoping the mech game is in the vein of Zone of the Enders or Armored Core.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think Silent Hill is going to sell 3 million consoles on its own. Half the time, the games don't even sell three million copies on hardware people already have.
I definitely think these kind of 'niche console seller' titles are valuable. I bought a 360 just to play Lost Odyssey, and then I ended up buying some random other games I wasn't really interested in just to have something else to do with it. Same with the Wii U.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, as it stands, the chances of me buying a PS5 at all are dwindling to nothing, so probably not.

That is probably the right decision for you. You don't seem to like anything Sony is doing as far as internal game development. Maybe you would like PC gaming better.

The biggest success that Sony could aim would be bring the horror fans crowd to buy their console, more than expecting SH to be a massive multi million copies seller.
And with SH and RE8 being available on PSVR they could do that.

I'm not saying will be a blockbuster. Would not shock me to see it become the best-selling SH ever though. Sony first party has major pull now.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

If it's planned for 2021, then I am getting a SH2 nostalgia again: releasing after the launch of PS2, becoming a big blockbuster and the succes encouraging the devs to do other sequels. Amazing years coming.

Well if it's releasing next year, then a reveal during PS5 meeting is a no brainer and I expect even more showing during this same year in the online events replacing the original ones like online TGS, online PSX and others.

Deleted member 65994

Banned
Apr 14, 2020
Honestly, as it stands, the chances of me buying a PS5 at all are dwindling to nothing, so probably not.
Screen_Shot_2020-05-11_at_12.20.53_AM.png

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't think Silent Hill is going to sell 3 million consoles on its own. Half the time, the games don't even sell three million copies on hardware people already have.

Again, as a Silent Hill fan, I don't give a shit how many copies this game will sell or how many hardware it does. I am just happy we're getting another Silent Hill game from the creators. Let Sony worry about shit like that--it's the least of our worries as consumers/gamers.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, as a Silent Hill fan, I don't give a shit how many copies this game will sell or how many hardware it does. I am just happy we're getting another Silent Hill game from the creators. Let Sony worry about shit like that--it's the least of our worries as consumers/gamers.

I kinda care. I want it to be successful enough to warrant more games. But that is about as far as I go into business side for this.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
I really think a new Silent Hill could sell at least 2.5 millions consoles with lifetime sales of 5-6 millions. Again, look at RE2 and 3.
You'll have all the horror fans on your side with RE8 and SHR.

It's a SIE first-party so it's gonna sell well anyway, I think even more with it being close to the launch of the console. Just by watching this thread, I'm already seeing a lot of people buying a PS5 just for SHR.

And I don't think any horror IP could do that. It's a legendary horror IP and I think many horror fans who haven't experienced it back then would love to with this new entrance to the series.

Evidently, to achieve this, the game has to be really good and have good ratings, but I'm not worried.

Nouzka

Oct 27, 2017
I think new Silent Hill could sell 2-3 million copies (or even more) if it reviews well. Horror games are pretty popular right now and I think PT project really created interest in Silent Hill series, and since it was cancelled and there hasn't been a new SIlent Hill for very long time so I think there is demand for new Silent Hill.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I really think a new Silent Hill could sell at least 2.5 millions consoles with lifetime sales of 5-6 millions. Again, look at RE2 and 3.

It's a SIE first-party so it's gonna sell well anyway, I think even more with it being close to the launch of the console. Just by watching this thread, I'm already seeing a lot of people buying a PS5 just for SHR.

And I don't think any horror IP could do that. It's a legendary horror IP and I think many horror fans who haven't experienced it back then would love to with this new entrance to the series.

Evidently, to achieve this, the game has to be really good and have good ratings, but I'm not worried.
That could be a bit too much. It's still a Rated R game.
But I could be wrong of course.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

I mean look what P.T. triggered in the industry of horror and how many copycats we got after it? People are so eager for a real Silent Hill game.

Alos if Outlast games could sell around 15 millions, I don't see why Silent Hill can't sell at least 5 millions on PS5.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I kinda care. I want it to be successful enough to warrant more games. But that is about as far as I go into business side for this.

I kinda get you, but it's hard to be excited about the future of Silent Hill without understanding the deal Sony and Konami have in place. Even if this sells millions of copies, we don't know if Konami would just lock Sony out of future Silent Hill titles and get another third-rate developer to make a sequel (which would be dumb, but this is Konami).

Basically, I guess I'm saying a pessimistic about the future of Silent Hill even if it does sell really well. So I'll just take whatever I can now.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

Do you think something from a mostly dead franchise will have more pull than a From game, as in do you think it will sell faster/more than BB?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The hype is great. It is a franchise that many non-gamers or lapsed gamers are aware of.

I think it will do great - if they nail the announcement/reveal.
The hype is great is a meaningless statement as we're on a enthusiast forum. I also can't wait for it. But I'm talking about normal gaming circles.

That said yep, they have to nail the announcement really well, it's obv gonna fall short of a phenomenon like PT but hey, I expect Sony to market it a lot.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Do you think something from a mostly dead franchise will have more pull than a From game, as in do you think it will sell faster/more than BB?
I dont think such a comparison is relevant. From Soft games grew a lot in the past 10 years and are every time highly anticipated since the first Dark Souls. Sony funded Bloodborne along with that hype so it could just only be a big success.

Like you said, Silent Hill was mostly dead at this point. It's still targeting a niche market but different and with a renewed hype.

I guess we'll see the results, it's not really predictable but like I said, I think it'll sell very well if the game is good and with the former team kinda reunited, I'm not worried at all.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hype is great is a meaningless statement as we're on a enthusiast forum. I also can't wait for it. But I'm talking about normal gaming circles.

That said yep, they have to nail the announcement really well, it's obv gonna fall short of a phenomenon like PT but hey, I expect Sony to market it a lot.

I was also talking about youtube/twitch/twitter. PT made a mark outside of the core community. The next SH, if handled right, will get a lot of that traction. Like you said, I doubt the 'reveal' will match that of PT, that was a once in a generation moment!

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Even if you are correct, using RE as a comparison isn't good. The RE series has always been in a world of its own with the genre. You can't judge anything SH or any other horror title will do based on RE.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Even if you are correct, using RE as a comparison isn't good. The RE series has always been in a world of its own with the genre. You can't judge anything SH or any other horror title will do based on RE.
I think it's more relevant because they are the 2 biggest horror IP's imo. Resident Evil exploded everything with the remakes and RE7 getting back to the roots. I really think a Silent Hill game doing that, along with the hype P.T. created back in 2014 could be a huge thing. But once again, I can be wrong.

Maybe it won't match RE numbers but I don't think it'll be that far behind and I'm absolutely not expecting a flop.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I think it's more relevant because they are the 2 biggest horror IP's imo. Resident Evil exploded everything with the remakes and RE7 getting back to the roots. I really think a Silent Hill game doing that, along with the hype P.T. created back in 2014 could be a huge thing. But once again, I can be wrong.

Maybe it won't match RE numbers but I don't think it'll be that far behind and I'm absolutely not expecting a flop.

SH is easily the second biggest horror video game IP that's ever existed, but the gap between 1 and 2 is kind of like the gap between the NFL and the CFL. It's not really about expecting anything, just saying it's a poor comparison to try and directly make

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wait why would they be using Unreal Engine 4? I was playing Gravity Rush 2 over the weekend and it looks damn good on Pro.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people say stuff like this when mentioning hardware not officially announced, that we don't know nothing about, and with no games announced as well.

The hardware itself doesn't matter to me at all if it doesn't have exclusive games I want to play on it. So hopefully they have something like I'm into in the pipeline because i'm not paying $500 for a system that offers me nothing, you know?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The hardware itself doesn't matter to me at all if it doesn't have exclusive games I want to play on it. So hopefully they have something like I'm into in the pipeline because i'm not paying $500 for a system that offers me nothing, you know?

I get you. But we should wait and see what they have to offer. We have no idea what's coming for it. In a month we might have an idea though. At least for the first year.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Started SH2 last night for the first time since it came out. Playing on normal and taking my time, but I after 2 hours I was at the hospital. I remember that the apartment complex took ages, but I guess I was wrong.

I hope whatever this game turns out to be is a meaty game.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Can I ask you a Question? You said you probably won't buy a PS5 and also no Xbox even tho they now have Studios that you like such as Double Fine for example. Are you interested at all in Next Gen? Do you want to migrate to PC? Or do you as it stands now skip everything? Because at that Point if truly nothing excites you and even Leaks and Rumors of something like this Silent Hill Revival by it's original Creators is just dissapointing, you maybe you should just take a Break from Video Games, or play some Older Ones if you don't already do that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Started SH2 last night for the first time since it came out. Playing on normal and taking my time, but I after 2 hours I was at the hospital. I remember that the apartment complex took ages, but I guess I was wrong.

I hope whatever this game turns out to be is a meaty game.

SH2 is a weird game because once you have even a basic understanding of how the town itself is laid out, it's pretty brisk. It feels longer than it is. I think you can shred through it in like six hours if you play it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.