• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I really doubt we're getting a remake of the original. Ito has said in the past that he's not interested in doing remakes and would only work on the series for a new entry.

I'm not sure why people are clamoring for remakes of the original. It's damn near perfect as it is and would just be a huge waste of resources. Plus, a lot of us are so tired of the cult story that retreading that ground would just be unnecessary and lazy.
I'll throw out there I've heard pretty specifically this isn't a remake. I don't know anything about the story or the like, except soft reboot is how it's described and making it so it could be people's first Silent Hill game and they'd be golden, they want to make it clear to folks they don't need to have played past games to play this one.

This is more my own conjecture, but I suspect those involved want to revitalize Silent Hill and make a new game with a new vision rather than remake the original SH.
Indeed, though I think this is also why at least for the moment they're considering just calling it "Silent Hill", rather than Silent Hil: Something or Another, or go back to a number, to make it clear to even a casual audience they can start with this entry.

Makes sense. Not an elegant way to do it, but it makes sense.

I really don't know why people claim it gonna be a remake while it was clealry said it is a soft reboot (starting fresh with the series without cutting ties with old games like God Of War and Mortal Kombat soft reboot games) and not a hard reboot (like Silent Hill Shattered Memories or Tomb raider reboot).

I talked about this matter before:

www.resetera.com

Silent hill fans have a heartwarming message after RE2 Remake!

This is how most Silent hill fans feel with the news of Capcom resurrecting and doing a great job with resident Evil 2 remake, hearing shit from Konami. Jokes aside, Do you think is there any hope that we will have a similar treatment of Silent hill Series from Konami?? I know that the...

Pyramid Head needs to remain a fucked up part of James' psyche rather than a returning bit of fanservice so I'm happy with that.

Who ever thinks otherwise, doesn't deserve to make or even play Silent Hill:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It wouldnt surprise me at all if the Silent Hill reboot is marketed as a mainline game by the original team(that is probably going to be used as a marketing term) and Silent Hills by Kojima as a sort of spin off. The silent hill reboot is most likely a 3rd person game while Silent Hills is obviously a 1st person game.

Read my post here:

www.resetera.com

Sony rebooting Silent Hill series - Update: Maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really sounds like this could be happening. So exciting! It could be a huge splash if they announced along PS5 blowout.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Probably with the PS5 if I had to guess.

Silent Hill is rumored to be have started development more than a year ago so it safe to assume we may see a trailer during PS5 reveal.

Seems reasonable. If it is announced during the PS5 reveal, we can likely expect a 2021 or 2022 release I imagine.

I'm also curious to know what the development time and budget for a modern day Toyama-led Silent Hill is going to be. I hope Sony and Konami give this the time, funding and creative freedom a modern day Silent Hill game deserves

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I too wish for Konami to improve and bring back their glory days of old. Hell, I'll take the Konami of 2010 E3 presser fame. But it's not gonna happen. They've changed their business and their new direction is making them a shit ton of money.

Konami is an IP house now. Before they were a distracted one, but at least now they seem (rumored) to be open to 3rd party pitches to develop and bring their IPs back to the console market.

Take this as a win. We are rumored to be getting two (!) major Silent Hill games with Sony footing the bill. If Silent Hill returns to critical & commercial success, you can bet others will start courting Konami for an IP shot (please, Castlevania!).

No doubt this would open Konami's eyes to their IP potential. Either they sit back, let others do the work, & reap the rewards or think they know better and open up their own development studio, both lead to playable Konami games so I really don't see an issue with this (hopefully first of many) business venture.

Plus, honestly, Sony is much more likely to make a quality Silent Hill (or 2) than any form of Konami in the last 16 years.

May 26, 2018
I really don't know why people claim it gonna be a remake while it was clealry said it is a soft reboot (starting fresh with the series without cutting ties with old games like God Of War and Mortal Kombat soft reboot games) and not a hard reboot (like Silent Hill Shattered Memories or Tomb raider reboot).

I talked about this matter before:

www.resetera.com

Silent hill fans have a heartwarming message after RE2 Remake!

This is how most Silent hill fans feel with the news of Capcom resurrecting and doing a great job with resident Evil 2 remake, hearing shit from Konami. Jokes aside, Do you think is there any hope that we will have a similar treatment of Silent hill Series from Konami?? I know that the...

Who ever thinks otherwise, doesn't deserve to make or even play Silent Hill:

I'm so happy to see Ito done with Pyramid Head. Me too, Masahiro. Me too.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I want third parties to make third party games and Sony to make first party games. Simple as that.

If Sony wants to spend a shitload of money on a niche horror IP for some insane reason, they should buy said IP off of Konami so it's a first party game, not PAYING KONAMI to make their game for them. That's what pisses me off. Konami makes out like bandits here and they don't have to do anything or change the way they run their business. They get free money for nothing, get to keep the IP and profit off of crossmedia projects related to it, and Sony ends up making less games as a result.

I would rather Konami actually wake the hell up and start trying again, instead of Sony enabling their laziness as a publisher. And I would rather Sony work on projects they own that will actually be exclusive to their hardware.

There is going to be overlap, especially when you are the market leader. Sony is interested in creating a new Silent Hill, and if it goes really well, Konami will be unable to break away so easily. They are agreeing to rely on Sony to make the franchise relevant again and more successful than it has ever been. Once that is over, they no longer have the resources and marketing power so its extremely unlikely to kick them to the curb unless the partnership is a dud.

Why do you think Sony purchased Insomniac after they made a boatload of money for them on a licensed game? They don't own Spider-Man, right? It is because chances are Disney and Marvel are going to keep that arrangement going for a very long time since their efforts for a Sony-less Spider-Man wouldn't be nearly as good. If this happens as expected, Silent Hill can be considered a second party PlayStation franchise. And if things go REALLY well, they may make Konami an offer they can't refuse and get the rights the series completely.

Sony makes insane profits, they are going to try and capitalize on IPs they don't own even if they are still very committed to making new IPs and expanding their current ones. Hell, Sony invests tons of money (as MS do) into marketing and bundling third party multiplats every single year. I mean, I would understand if Sony's first party was in poor shape but there really is no cause for concern over a deal like this.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they even want to bring PH back to kill him if he's strictly from James' story/mind? Doesn't make sense, just leave him be. Because bringing him back "just to kill him" is still fan service-y.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have any particular interest in opining on Kojima himself, or on Kojima's relative degree of fitness (or lack thereof) for handling one type of project versus another.

But since the other topic was closed (and we were redirected back to this thread), I wanted to briefly follow-up on the discussion of Death Stranding's production history (which has indeed come up frequently in this thread).

Perhaps Dusk Golem's sources would be able to clarify a bit more, if they were asked to consider and/or account for some the following points:

Andalusia said:
Not sure about the rest of the post but I don't think you source is accurate about this. Since day 1 Kojima was always consistent about the release date. Also don't see how the game could have been soft booted a year and a half before release if Kojima came to E3 2018 with that gameplay reveal trailer that ended up being exactly what DS turned out to be.
Andalusia said:
I don't doubt that the game under went changes at someone point, I just doubt it happened 1 and a half years before release. As I said by that point the E3 2018 trailer was released and the game is exactly what that trailer showed it to be. If you'd told me it happened some point in 2017 the I'd believe it. [...]

As Andalusia notes, the final game is pretty much exactly what the E3 2018 trailer showed it to be.

The E3 2016 (06/13/2016), TGA 2016 (12/01/2016), and TGA 2017 (12/13/2017) trailers are all included, in their entirety, as cutscenes in the final game, without anything more than minor cosmetic changes.

You can see a side-by-side comparison between the final game and the E3 2016 trailer here, the final game/TGA 2016 comparison here, and the final game/TGA 2017 comparison here.

BossAttack said:
[...] I don't doubt DS likely didn't do that well sales wise. But, everything Kojima showed of the game EVERYTHING, made it into the final game. I find it hard to believe he rebooted the whole thing six months before launch over Sony disagreements. [...]
N.47H.4N said:
[...] Kojima showed concepts for the game before it started the production, he had a clear vision of what the game was gonna be, all the trailers had hints of the gameplay concepts and everyone of them since the reveal is in the game, and this guys is saying a soft reboot happened 1 1/2 year before release? In the middle of 2018? [...]

The TGA 2016 and TGA 2017 cutscenes, in particular, reveal a lot of elements that ended up being core parts of both the gameplay and the story.

Kojima emphasized in February 2017: "I don't have a dark mindset in particular. Death Stranding is not a horror game. I just wanted to make something that looks very unique, something you haven't seen before [...] I'm not pursuing a dark aspect to the game."

"I don't have a dark mindset in particular. Death Stranding is not a horror game. I just wanted to make something that looks very unique, something you haven't seen before, something with a more artistic slant to it. I'm not pursuing a dark aspect to the game."

It's still not fully clear how much of Kojima's Konami-era work will carry over into Death Stranding, but one prominent aspect seems to be making the jump: "Humor is a very important aspect for games", Kojima explained. "You play a game for a very long time – Death Stranding is a big game, too – and you put stress on the player and you lead them through peaks and valleys. Humor is an important aspect to make sure the player can enjoy playing across these peaks and valleys.

"So we'll have humor in this game too, but to a degree that it doesn't ruin the world setting. It will be at an appropriate level."

The final game also seems entirely consistent with the pre-production materials that have been released:
We do, however, have evidence that the game ran into at least one major cause for delay:
[...] The "initial plan" was: before Tokyo Olympics (July 2020) / before the year in which Akira is set (2019).

Kojima Productions has had a planned release date since 2016:

We knew about it being behind schedule in 2017, when Kojima talked about the voice actor strike (SAG-AFTRA) which caused delays to voice acting and mocap:
Hideo Kojima said:
The only irregular incident was the SAG-AFTRA strike that started from late October 2016. Due to this, we had to inevitably change the plans to perform 3D scanning, performance capturing, voice recording, and more with the actors. But that has also been resolved in November this year [2017], so we've been able to start various works.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/12/29/hideo-on-death-stranding-/

This is what has happened since late last year:
  • The game began localisation (process takes around a year).
  • They hired a new Marketing & Communications guy.
  • The English voice acting was pretty much wrapped up with Norman Reedus doing his last recording sessions.
  • Japanese voice overs being overseen by Kojima.
  • The first 2 hours of the game was shown to Guerrilla Games.
  • Kojima showed the game to non-industry people like Joe Penna and Jordan Vogt-Roberts (wouldn't happen unless game is mature).

And I'll just add that in the end, the quality of the game turned out very high, in the estimation of many influential folks in the industry:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Is this really out of the realm of possibility? I mean it's not like Konami is doing anything with SH and that goes for Castlevania as well.

Additional Rumor: Other IPs planned

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since its apparently not separate thread worthy
Update: An apparent employee from Konami back in January on 4Chan (stick with me here folks, I'll explain later why this is being reported on) says that Sony wants to buy Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Metal Gear from Konami and have Hideo Kojima involved in both Metal Gear and Silent Hill. Everything from the Silent Hill reboot lines up.

Castlevania will apparently receive a full on reboot at Japan Studio in the style of BloodBorne and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Just to tell you how much Sony cares unlike Konami, the Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood PS4 ports were done by Sony Interactive Entertainment's own studios. That should tell you that they are passionate enough to try and get the IP.

Now, why are we reporting on a 4Chan post? Since this information us lining up with information heard from both Rely on Horror and later verified on our end from our own sources, this news dump seems to be actually valid. We anticipate hearing word on this in a post-PS5 reveal world. We are not obviously saying this is going to happen, but it seems like that they are actually trying to give these IPs another chance at prospering.
Sony Interactive Entertainment is working on a pair of Silent Hill titles, according to Rely on Horror.

Konami and Sony Interactive Entertainment are working together on these projects, with the development process looking like this:

• Silent Hill reboot by Japan Studio's Project Siren, the developers behind Siren and Gravity Rush
  • Silent Hills by Kojima Productions, the original developers of the canceled PS4 exclusive.
The report states that Silent Hill has been in development for around a year now and that Keiichiro Toyama and Akira Yamaoka will return to the project.

As for Silent Hills, the Hideo Kojima directed horror title staring Norman Reedus has apparently resumed talks between both Konami and the PlayStation giant and they are looking to be all ready to go.

Jack of All Controllers' own sources close to Sony has also confirmed to us that Konami is actually open to making Silent Hills restart development that it's likely to happen, both games being exclusive to PS5 though. Details are just as scarce as Rely on Horror's, so we aren't really able to add more details besides yes, to our knowledge as well, these games are happening.
Sources + Report: Sony has 2 Silent Hill titles in development; Silent Hill reboot at Japan Studio and Silent Hills at Kojima Productions. - Jack of All Controllers
Update: An apparent employee from Konami back in January on 4Chan (stick with me here folks, I'll explain later why this is being reported on) says that Sony wants to …
jackofallcontrollers.com

Jack of All Controllers on Twitter
"Update: Sony Interactive Entertainment plans on acquiring the Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania IPs from Konami. In addition, Hideo Kojima will be involved in both Metal Gear and Silent Hills if they get the rights. https://t.co/vE9uJ2gghC”
twitter.com

Konami Code me if old

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

Here's the original post, since the link's image is so small:

21:12:00 JST

Hello, I'm an employee from Konami (Sorry for my bad english).
I heard (for a little moment) that Sony wants to buy franchises such as Metal Gear, Silent Hill and Castlevania.

They want to remake MG1 and MG2:SS (just ideologically after the fifth part is suitable). Kojima is involved. PS5 exclusive.

Silent Hill x Keiichiro Toyama (Sony, Gravity Rush/Siren/Silent Hill 1) x Masahiro Ito (https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1213573816393203712). Soft reboot. PS5 exclusive. Maybe Ikumi Nakamura involved (She's with SIE now).

Castlevania. Full reboot. Shutaro Iida x Koji Igarashi x Sony Japan project. Very bloodborne style, I think more like as Lords of Shadow. Not 2d. PS5 exclusive.

Oct 26, 2017
The other thread got closed but I'm interested so I'll repost it here:

Jack of All Controllers - Gaming. All jacked up!

Gaming. All jacked up!

Interestingly, the 4chan post is from Jan 13th which predates Dusk Golem's post but lines up with he said about the Team Silent soft reboot

That 4chan post had a link to this tweet https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1213573816393203712
so it's not like it was guessed entirely out of the blue.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Bloodborne Castlevania is so obvious that it reads like a fake leak, I have to say. Plus I'd be worried if From isn't involved.

My biggest wish is that Kojima can finish Phantom Pain, but I know that's even more unlikely than the rumor being true in the first place

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
threadmark falls into the "too good to be true" realm for me

but they are free to surprise me

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill (x2) is a megaton by itself.

But if Sony somehow got a hold on Metal Gear I might have a heart attack of emotion.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
These rumors are getting so explosive and over the top that I can't help but feel like it's all gonna come crashing down and none of it is true. Sony buying Silent Hill, Castlevania, and MGS? No fucking way.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
metal-gear-rising-revengeance-2_176vv.png

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I just don't get why Konami never did anything with Castlevania anymore. The first LoS was awesome, the sequel not so much, but still. It's clear they don't want to do anything with SH, MG and Castlevania.....so if Sony ends up acquiring these and make something of it, I can't be mad. I can't deny that I'd love to see these franchises multiplatform but it is what it is.

If it's true at all, of course.

Oct 26, 2017
Schopenhauerian good post, it's hard to take that rumour seriously when the performance work was mostly done at that point.
I think I remember fans yammering about 'it's not as dark' when that 2018 trailer hit, so it feels like it came from there rather than from the inside.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be excited mostly for Japan Studio getting a big cash injection and growing in order to handle these new IP acquisitions if these rumours turned out to be true.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That cheapo trash ass Requiem emulated PSP rerelease is proof Sony cares more about Castlevania than Konami, who did a great M2 made collection with a bunch of games and even a new localization? lol

Nov 21, 2017
I definitely buy the rumor that Sony is teaming with Konami to soft reboot Silent Hill lead by Toyama but purchasing the MGS, Silent Hill, and Castlevania IPs outright from Konami I highly doubt it.
47TsDcA.jpg

I'm all for Sony saving these treasured gaming IPs but I doubt Konami would outright sell them to Sony but If Sony does buy these IPs from Konami I hope they save Suikoden and Bloody Roar as well.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018
Spicy times ahead if this is indeed happening,. Even if it's only one game, that's one more than what we expected a week ago. If it's truly not happening any other way, I wouldn't be mad at it being exclusive to one brand because, well, it wouldn't be happening otherwise... unless another big publishers splashes money on it or something. Similar to Bayonetta 2 and Sega-Nintendo.

OP
OP
Genesius

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I miss gothic, non-anime Castlevania. Sony using it as a spiritual successor to Bloodborne makes a lot of sense, I'd be excited if they rescued more Konami IPs.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should comment on this. Again, I don't know anyone at Konami, and I literally know nothing about MGS or Castlevania stuff or what those franchises are up to. But I can say two things for a fact:

01. Sony doesn't own the Silent Hill IP, Konami are keeping it and looking into doing other things outside of gaming with the IP.
02. I think some people are going to read into the other rumor and this one as being a sign of something, but I'm more thinking it's coincidences. I just can't see a scenario at the moment Konami sells its IPs, they're not actually that strapped for cash right now and have publicly commented on knowing the value of their IPs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can definitely say from what I've heard and the receipts I've seen, Konami is just licensing the IP out to Sony, not selling it to them.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
These rumors are getting so explosive and over the top that I can't help but feel like it's all gonna come crashing down and none of it is true. Sony buying Silent Hill, Castlevania, and MGS? No fucking way.
I mean, I dunno. What's Konami doing with them? I have no idea about their current financial situation but it seems like they'd be willing to sell rights (perhaps limited rights, not full) if they either cannot produce or are unwilling to assume the risk of producing AAA games. These IP have a lot of value but I think Konami is incapable of leveraging after Kojima's exodus. It's not that unbelievable when you look at where the company currently is vs where they were.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The rumour of Silent Hill/s I'm willing to believe, but there is no way in hell Sony also gets the MGS and Castlevania IPs as well. If that happens I'd chew and eat my own nuts. Absolute nonsense rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.