• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
The budget is one thing, but it's beyond weird that Sony was interfering in the creative process? Like did they not noticed the last of us part 2 trailers? Like I can't imagine this horrific imagery being worst then the last of us? i really weird & kind of worrisome given that horrific imagery is silent hill's bread & butter. Like are these new PlayStation people gonna stop them like kojima?

This smells fishy. Sony were all-in, gushing about PT, and that game had some really disturbing themes and imagery. They totally played up the horror in PT's reveal.

This smells fishy. Sony were all-in, gushing about PT, and that game had some really disturbing themes and imagery. They totally played up the horror in PT's reveal.
Only explanation I have is pt & the last of us part 2 were developed before the changes at PlayStation happened & they couldn't change them? If it's true about death stranding originally releasing for the Ps5... then it would make sense that story changes happened as it was early in development. It's all very strange & confusing.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Every time I see this thread on the first page I gleefully rush in thinking a leaked screenshot or something dropped, Project Beast style. 😫

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Initially the budget was set for a PS4 game. After a little while, Kojima had way more ambitions and wanted it to become a PS5 game with a bigger scale. Sony didn't agree. Kojima wanted the game to be out before the Tokyo Olympic Games, initially, so the first release date was around March 2020.

I have a hard time buying into this tbh, while release of DS was shrouded in mystery, any suggestion of it being a next-gen game was quelled by Kojima. I remember it because Greg Miller did a very long interview with Kojima in early 2017 where he affirmed that it was a PS4 game. It was re-affirmed many times later too.

Also, any publisher would have a problem if the studio decided to shift their development goals mid-way through the production when the contracts had already been locked in. I enjoyed DS (actually platinumed it), but never for a moment I thought this wasn't a game Kojima was trying to build.

The problem is that Last of Us 2 was supposed to come out way before, in the end of 2018. The game was pushed back so many times it changed the schedule. Death Stranding release date was brought before, initially in March 2019, then pushed back internally again because the game couldn't be ready to November 2019. Last of Us 2 took the place of Death Stranding in March 2020 (end of February actually) before being pushed back again and again.

TLOU2 was supposed to be a Fall 2018 release? I have an even harder time buying into this! ND were crunching to finish Lost Legacy by July 2017 and that game had only an year long main-production with U4 being released previous summer. Also the whole team was working on it. 15-16 months sounds way too short to push a game like TLOU2.

Please don't take my post as an attack, I've been reading through this thread and your posts are often interesting. It's just that on this particular aspect, I have my doubts.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Not only Kojima and Death Stranding dev wasn't a paradise. They had to help him because they forced him to finish the game early, soft rebooted it and cut the budget. Kojima wanted DS to be a PS5 game and like you can see in the artbook, it should have been way more ambitious. I still loved the game but that's a shame. Kojima isn't always easy to handle but he cleary isn't the only one to blame in this case.
Yes. WWS were not happy with the budget Kojima had. Internal reorganization didn't help. A lot of things changed internally at PlayStation the past years. Death Stranding and Kojima paid the bill of all these problems, unfortunately.
Initially the budget was set for a PS4 game. After a little while, Kojima had way more ambitions and wanted it to become a PS5 game with a bigger scale. Sony didn't agree. Kojima wanted the game to be out before the Tokyo Olympic Games, initially, so the first release date was around March 2020. The problem is that Last of Us 2 was supposed to come out way before, in the end of 2018. The game was pushed back so many times it changed the schedule. Death Stranding release date was brought before, initially in March 2019, then pushed back internally again because the game couldn't be ready to November 2019. Last of Us 2 took the place of Death Stranding in March 2020 (end of February actually) before being pushed back again and again.
Dusk Golem your input would be real good here, to help clear stuff up

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Dusk did make a comment a while back about how Sony seemed to step in on DS when the things Kojima wanted to do strayed a bit into the "distasteful" area so maybe that why the game had to be changed? I'm betting something about killing babies or something, if true. Otherwise I see no reason for them to impede on whatever he was trying to accomplish with DS....other than the absurd budget from hiring movie actors/actresses.

whitefox

Apr 13, 2020
Stylized photorealism. And I think they use UE4 at Japan Studio. Toyama hinted to Archipel in 2018 they don't need to make engines from scratch anymore when they have things like Unreal Engine and Unity.

Up to this point Japan Studio has used PhyreEngine. Things will change for PS5 to not use a internal engine. Hence why product technology department is removed and you have only internal, external and business department now at Japan Studio.

Other third parties like MediaVision, Falcom, Matrix Software, etc used PhyreEngine as well. But now Falcom is making their own engine and MediaVision is probably using UE4.
What do you mean by "stylized photorealism"? Isn't that an oxymoron? What proof do you have for this? What games have they made using UE4? I see FFVII Remake uses UE4 that's really impressive I would have never known.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Perhaps the reason a lot of objectionable stuff was removed from DS was because it wasn't marketed as a horror game, whereas games like Silent Hill and Siren could use more intense and disturbing content without too much of an issue.

Im not saying this SH rumor is BS just yet, but I don't think there is a huge conflict between Kojima and Sony. Creative and corporate philosophy difference? Yes. But I'm quite sure they would want to keep their relationship on some level.

whitefox

Apr 13, 2020
Perhaps the reason a lot of objectionable stuff was removed from DS was because it wasn't marketed as a horror game, whereas games like Silent Hill and Siren could use more intense and disturbing content without too much of an issue.

Im not saying this SH rumor is BS just yet, but I don't think there is a huge conflict between Kojima and Sony. Creative and corporate philosophy difference? Yes. But I'm quite sure they would want to keep their relationship on some level.
I think that the rumors are not that relationship between Kojima and Sony are bad but that their were some disagreements that hindered DS development. Developers often have to make compromises so this is not uncommon. Game's often change a lot during development. DS also didn't sell very well which is not a surprise as the game didn't review very well and was super niche. I think people are exaggerating what the leaks are saying.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
They had to help him because they forced him to finish the game early, soft rebooted it and cut the budget. Kojima wanted DS to be a PS5 game and like you can see in the artbook, it should have been way more ambitious.
It was announced as PS4 title from the beginning:

Sony Interactive Entertainment Unveils Hideo Kojima’s PS4 Console Exclusive Title Death Stranding

SAN MATEO, CA, June 13, 2016 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today unveiled Hideo Kojima’s first Kojima Productions title DEATH STRANDING for PlayStation®4 (PS4™) and its first teaser trailer at the E3 2016 PlayStation Press Conference. As with all of his past masterpieces, the latest...
SY0YuEJ.png

How you can "soft-reboot" something that doesn't exist?

Oct 29, 2017
It was announced as PS4 title from the beginning:

Sony Interactive Entertainment Unveils Hideo Kojima’s PS4 Console Exclusive Title Death Stranding

SAN MATEO, CA, June 13, 2016 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today unveiled Hideo Kojima’s first Kojima Productions title DEATH STRANDING for PlayStation®4 (PS4™) and its first teaser trailer at the E3 2016 PlayStation Press Conference. As with all of his past masterpieces, the latest...
SY0YuEJ.png

How you can "soft-reboot" something that doesn't exist?

To be fair, maybe Kojima either originally or at some point *wanted DS to be a PS5 game, which might not necessarily preclude it from being a PS4 game as well.

Also, I think KatharsisT was using the term soft reboot within the continuity of DS's development, even as it didn't exist yet in its final tangible form.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
What do you mean by "stylized photorealism"? Isn't that an oxymoron? What proof do you have for this? What games have they made using UE4? I see FFVII Remake uses UE4 that's really impressive I would have never known.
When you don't cheat like modern games do today with photogrammetry and instead use drawing models from scratch it would not be considered ultra realism many think of when they hear photorealism.

If you as a person try to draw models of people it creates a defined style only made by your hand and taste. In case with Takayoshi Sato, he created stylized realism with Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2. Those characters have a unique flavor.

This is what Shu said back in 2017 to IGN that Japan Studio has to find their own unique style (beyond manga art and ukiyo) which will be the killer features that Western developers cannot match. They can't just copy straight off Sony's Western studios, they have to stay true to their policy by maintaining novelty at it's core by being different with larger budget. Art is very important to Japan Studio and they can't just go ultra realism and hope it will sell.

Oct 27, 2017
Dusk did make a comment a while back about how Sony seemed to step in on DS when the things Kojima wanted to do strayed a bit into the "distasteful" area so maybe that why the game had to be changed? I'm betting something about killing babies or something, if true. Otherwise I see no reason for them to impede on whatever he was trying to accomplish with DS....other than the absurd budget from hiring movie actors/actresses.
There's a 0 % chance that Kojima did not consider a scene that bordered on sexual assault for Fragile or Mama, like no way he didn't think of it and have to be talked down about it.

whitefox

Apr 13, 2020
When you don't cheat like modern games do today with photogrammetry and instead use drawing models from scratch it would not be considered ultra realism many think of when they hear photorealism.

If you as a person try to draw models of people it creates a defined style only made by your hand and taste. In case with Takayoshi Sato, he created stylized realism with Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2. Those characters have a unique flavor.

This is what Shu said back in 2017 to IGN that Japan Studio has to find their own unique style (beyond manga art and ukiyo) which will be the killer features that Western developers cannot match. They can't just copy straight off Sony's Western studios, they have to stay true to their policy by maintaining novelty at it's core by being different with larger budget. Art is very important to Japan Studio and they can't just go ultra realism and hope it will sell.
But at the time SH2 was considered photorealistic. I think what you are trying to say is that characters will look photorealistic but will not be entirely based off of a single real person like Death Stranding did with Norman Reedus. The characters will look photo-realistic but they will have their own unique look. I'm thinking somewhat similar to what Capcom did with the Resident Evil Remakes and DMC V. They used photogrametry but they hand designed the characters themselves. Could you give me a link to this article you're referring to?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It was very VERY big in the beginning, until it was cut aaaaand everything went down.
Not only Kojima and Death Stranding dev wasn't a paradise. They had to help him because they forced him to finish the game early, soft rebooted it and cut the budget. Kojima wanted DS to be a PS5 game and like you can see in the artbook, it should have been way more ambitious. I still loved the game but that's a shame. Kojima isn't always easy to handle but he cleary isn't the only one to blame in this case.
Whoa very intersting. Any idea why forced him to finish and cut the bugdet? Sony has been very patient with their AAA output this generation letting devs take their time I wonder why this different stance with KP?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018
ETdli1dU0AAX3zL.png

Thought this was an interesting picture to bring up. Aren't they the original members of Team Silent? Possibly collaborates the rumors we've been hearing about as well. I know this is when various developers were visiting Kojima Productions over the years.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ETdli1dU0AAX3zL.png

Thought this was an interesting picture to bring up. Aren't they the original members of Team Silent? Possibly collaborates the rumors we've been hearing about as well. I know this is when various developers were visiting Kojima Productions over the years.

I love how everyone in this picture has a distinctive clothing style.

Oct 27, 2017
ETdli1dU0AAX3zL.png

What's that robot thing statue in the middle? Looks like a Helghan from Killzone fucked Michelin's Bibendum, and that thing is their offspring.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see this thread on the first page I gleefully rush in thinking a leaked screenshot or something dropped, Project Beast style. 😫
There will never be something like Project Beast leak again. That shit was legendary.

Are there any good sources for Death Stranding "troubled development"? I don't believe that PS5 stuff. The game felt way too complete and was always announced as a PS4 game - contrary to MGS5 which clearly wasn't finished.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
So KojiPro was forced to do a soft reboot of Death Stranding amd still delivered it in a little over 3 years?

This is hard to believe given Sony's track record of allowing there devs freedom and time to develop.

Apr 27, 2018
Another thing I would like to bring up in regards to Silent Hills.

How in the world did these songs get approved. Was it Sony and Konami giving their permission to do this? Sony and Konami had to give the okay for these songs to use the intellectual property.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So KojiPro was forced to do a soft reboot of Death Stranding amd still delivered it in a little over 3 years?

This is hard to believe given Sony's track record of allowing there devs freedom and time to develop.
I'm quite curious about the sources/proof of those claims as well. Right out the gate with the first trailer for the game it showed off the beach etc. which all made it into the final game. And it is pretty impressive to see the game built from the ground up that quick (the engine and Sony support clearly helped there though) especially if it was a PS5 game, then a PS4 game, soft reboot etc. Didn't feel like a rushed or troubled game when I played it through.

Apr 27, 2018
Using the title Silent Hills for the first song, and the PT radio clip in the Knocked Loose song "In the Walls"
Wouldn't Konami have to give specific permission to use their IP "Silent Hills" and the radio clip from PT, because wouldn't there be legal trouble otherwise?
I mean it is Konami's intellectual property after all right?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Using the title Silent Hills for the first song, and the PT radio clip in the Knocked Loose song "In the Walls"
Wouldn't Konami have to give specific permission to use their IP "Silent Hills" and the radio clip from PT, because wouldn't there be legal trouble otherwise?
I mean it is Konami's intellectual property after all right?

For the Knocked Loose thing, while what does and does not constitute fair use is extremely muddy, that does strike me as pretty unambiguously not fair use. Also wow that song sucks all kinds of ass.

But it's down to the copyright holder to 1. know that the infringement even happened, and 2. care enough to take action. If the people who have standing don't know or care, then no one else can do anything about it.

As for Lena Katina, titles are not copyrightable.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
But at the time SH2 was considered photorealistic. I think what you are trying to say is that characters will look photorealistic but will not be entirely based off of a single real person like Death Stranding did with Norman Reedus. The characters will look photo-realistic but they will have their own unique look. I'm thinking somewhat similar to what Capcom did with the Resident Evil Remakes and DMC V. They used photogrametry but they hand designed the characters themselves. Could you give me a link to this article you're referring to?
youtu.be

The State of PlayStation's Japan Studio - IGN First

We talk to Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida about the state of PlayStation in Japan and what the future might hold.Making Gran Turismo Sport: ...

He was excited about the future of Japan Studio and it started at E3 2015 when he told Miller and Moliarty about a project the studio is producing is really great and he is really excited about it. By that time we didn't know if he referred to a project in very early stage and it wasn't very far along into development.

Kouno-san has been working on a new project since he finished his LocoRoco spin-off project in 2009. In 2010 Japan Studio moved out from their previous studio office in to Sony City in Shinagawa. In March 2011 they moved in to a new constructed building with 18 stories + 2 stories below ground not far away from Sony City. The adress is Minato-ku, Konan, 5 minutes walkway to Shinagawa station.

Allan Becker took over as studio head in April 2011. Retired in 2020 and Nicolas Doucet took over as studio head.

The problem with a large project for a Japanese team they have to start from a small team and grow it over time with a new IP. First they have to go through concept phase and that pitch is hell. If it doesn't get approved you have to start over again with a new pitch. That's basically what happened to Kouno's project. Let's say Sony approved his project in 2015 when Shu was really excited about it, that's just 5 years to 2020. Just think when Days Gone was approved in early 2013 and they didn't finished up development until 2019. New IP is not easy. Even Kojima mentioned teams can take 7-10 years on a new IP and that's what happened with Kouno-san.

Toyama didn't seem to have a easy route either in 2018 when he said it was a troublesome year for him. There was a new Siren game, there was a new horror IP, but nothing did panned out well. So he met fans during Siren 10th anniversary exhibitions and they encouraged him to make games again and big hints. So he wanted to go with full power in 2019 and turn over a new leaf. Established IPs have shorter dev cycle which is good for Japan Studio when Kouno's project took very long to get off the ground.

Don't ask me what is happening with Puppeteer team. Gavin Moore's Linkedin profile shows spearheading a team since April 2015. What he wrote about Japan Studio's current policy: "Direction of large teams of talented individuals with one goal; create exciting and novel products". Japan Studio did remaster Castlevania Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night for PS4, so it could have been a side-project by Puppeteer team. Gavin Moore wants to make games with imaginary worlds and less games like The Getaway and Siren that are based on reality worlds.

They have abolished product technology department so they must have been in need of more space in the building to pull off large teams for internal development department. It's indeed exciting times ahead at Japan Studio.

whitefox

Apr 13, 2020
youtu.be

The State of PlayStation's Japan Studio - IGN First

We talk to Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida about the state of PlayStation in Japan and what the future might hold.Making Gran Turismo Sport: ...

He was excited about the future of Japan Studio and it started at E3 2015 when he told Miller and Moliarty about a project the studio is producing is really great and he is really excited about it. By that time we didn't know if he referred to a project in very early stage and it wasn't very far along into development.

Kouno-san has been working on a new project since he finished his LocoRoco spin-off project in 2009. In 2010 Japan Studio moved out from their previous studio office in to Sony City in Shinagawa. In March 2011 they moved in to a new constructed building with 18 stories + 2 stories below ground not far away from Sony City. The adress is Minato-ku, Konan, 5 minutes walkway to Shinagawa station.

Allan Becker took over as studio head in April 2011. Retired in 2020 and Nicolas Doucet took over as studio head.

The problem with a large project for a Japanese team they have to start from a small team and grow it over time with a new IP. First they have to go through concept phase and that pitch is hell. If it doesn't get approved you have to start over again with a new pitch. That's basically what happened to Kouno's project. Let's say Sony approved his project in 2015 when Shu was really excited about it, that's just 5 years to 2020. Just think when Days Gone was approved in early 2013 and they didn't finished up development until 2019. New IP is not easy. Even Kojima mentioned teams can take 7-10 years on a new IP and that's what happened with Kouno-san.

Toyama didn't seem to have a easy route either in 2018 when he said it was a troublesome year for him. There was a new Siren game, there was a new horror IP, but nothing did panned out well. So he met fans during Siren 10th anniversary exhibitions and they encouraged him to make games again and big hints. So he wanted to go with full power in 2019 and turn over a new leaf. Established IPs have shorter dev cycle which is good for Japan Studio when Kouno's project took very long to get off the ground.

Don't ask me what is happening with Puppeteer team. Gavin Moore's Linkedin profile shows spearheading a team since April 2015. What he wrote about Japan Studio's current policy: "Direction of large teams of talented individuals with one goal; create exciting and novel products". Japan Studio did remaster Castlevania Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night for PS4, so it could have been a side-project by Puppeteer team. Gavin Moore wants to make games with imaginary worlds and less games like The Getaway and Siren that are based on reality worlds.

They have abolished product technology department so they must have been in need of more space in the building to pull off large teams for internal development department. It's indeed exciting times ahead at Japan Studio.
Thanks! Do you believe in the Silent Hill reboot rumors? Seems to line up with current developments at Japan Studio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.