• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I just don't agree with you. I don't think Bluepoint has ever demonstrated the specific attention to nuance and detail that is integral to Metal Gear Solid specifically that would lead me to trust them in making the game we're fantasising about here. I firmly believe the scope of such a project in its creative specifications is much more complex than Demon's Souls and Shadow of the Colossus, and the comparisons it'd invite would inevitably lead to frustration.

As said, happy to be proven wrong, because then I get a great remake haha.

To follow up on this, folks: look at the cutscenes in the Yakuza Kiwami games, compared to the cutscenes in Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 6 and 7. The Yakuza Kiwami cutscenes, for the most part, are one to one re-models of the original PS2 cutscenes, from animations to lipflaps. Everything is ported over exactly but with newer, better character models on top. These cutscenes look jarring and clunky, especially when they're played in concert with entirely new cutscenes created for the new scenes in the remakes. The graphics clash with the character movements and it becomes really clear that you're seeing PS2 cutscenes with better makeup on top of them.

This is going to be even harder to do right when the source cutscenes you're translating came from the PS1. Remember, they CANNOT use Twin Snakes as a baseline because Nintendo partially owns the rights to that game. They have to either use the PS1 cutscenes or completely redo them from ground zero. You can't just make those PS1 cutscenes look nicer by adding new models and textures, it would look like a ghoulish puppet show.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I mean, you do not need to go too far, Crash was almost forgotten besides the usual nostalgia and a good remake with good sales was enough time for a real sequence to be made and the franchise to return in a way, if this is a short burst thing only time will tell but the whole thought on why a company would like remake an old game isn't Rocket science lol

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Let's put it this way:

They remastered SotC, it was amazing. They remade SotC, it was amazing. They remastered MGS2&3, they were amazing.

There's no doubt in my mind they could remake any MGS game and give it the love and attention it deserves while still remaining faithful. There is literally no other dev or port house out there i could say that about.

Remastering a game isn't even remotely in the ballpark of completely remaking one. It familiarises with content and direction but in no way requires creative direction and liberties that potentially run at odds with the original authorship. I get what you're saying here but I think it's an enormous leap of logic and faith without addressing the underlining specifics of what actually encompasses remaking a game versus remastering it. Apples and oranges, even if the latter does benefit the former.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It seems so weird to be in this thread and people saying that a Metal Gear Solid remake would be dead and a worthless investment.

It's like almost gatekeeping status. Sony and Konami can do whatever they choose to do with their teams and money. I'm sure Kojima could give his blessing, but for a near 1:1 remake, I don't think Kojima needs to oversee every single thing.

A Metal Gear Solid remake would do fine. And if it didn't for whatever reason, as long as it's fun and faithful, I think that would be more than enough for Metal Gear fans.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
And if it didn't for whatever reason, as long as it's fun and faithful, I think that would be more than enough for Metal Gear fans.

SJjN.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It seems so weird to be in this thread and people saying that a Metal Gear Solid remake would be dead and a worthless investment.

It's like almost gatekeeping status. Sony and Konami can do whatever they choose to do with their teams and money. I'm sure Kojima could give his blessing, but for a near 1:1 remake, I don't think Kojima needs to oversee every single thing.

A Metal Gear Solid remake would do fine. And if it didn't for whatever reason, as long as it's fun and faithful, I think that would be more than enough for Metal Gear fans.

It's a worthless investment for Sony, a company that should be spending their money and development/production time on franchises they actually own instead of babysitting Konami's franchises for them.

If Konami wants to do it themselves, whatever, it's their franchise. I get it. But Sony needs to get their own house in order, not spend their limited free money and studios on a bunch of Konami games. I want actual new games out of Sony and I'm not gonna get them if every Sony-aligned studio that isn't working on a big AAA Western sequel gets slotted into making Konami games for Konami.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
It's almost like Perfect Dark is actually getting a new game whereas there is literally zero point in a MGS game without Kojima at the helm. The series IS him, for better or for worse. Take his voice away and you're left with virtually nothing.
Y'all gon keep saying this every time Bluepoint comes out with a game.
I imagine it's Sony and Kojima's relationship that lead to the project, if it's real. Same way they went to Miyazaki about Demons.

I've no problem with people wanting a remake of MGS and it inviting a new audience. My only points are that I think people vastly underestimate the difficulty in recapturing MGS as it was under Kojima Productions in a way that successfully updates it with no compromise to nuanced vision and direction, and secondly that I think people equally underestimate the production scope required to make a game like Metal Gear Solid under modern production expectations relative to Bluepoint's other remake output.

I'm not suggesting it's impossible that they could remake it, and make a good game. Nor that people wouldn't enjoy it. Only that I have no doubt Bluepoint's vision would not match Kojima's in the way a lot of old fans want. If people are happy with something a bit different and modernised in ways that may change the tone and direction of the project, that's on them.
Man.. if Sony and BP are remaking MGS then they have a ton of new toys to play with; with Haptics, Adtrigs, motion, cards, help videos.. there's a bunch cool things they could do they couldn't 20 years ago. Also, If one guy can make the game on Dreams I'm sure BP would be fine.

I don't know about y'all it I would love Snake back in the mix.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It's a worthless investment for Sony, a company that should be spending their money and development/production time on franchises they actually own instead of babysitting Konami's franchises for them.

If Konami wants to do it themselves, whatever, it's their franchise. I get it. But Sony needs to get their own house in order, not spend their limited free money and studios on a bunch of Konami games. I want actual new games out of Sony and I'm not gonna get them if every Sony-aligned studio that isn't working on a big AAA Western sequel gets slotted into making Konami games for Konami.
Would you call anytime that Sony remakes or publishes a previous non first party game babysitting?

Sony can do what they feel best. If Sony greenlights one or two Konami games/remakes, where's the harm? Fans would be happy. Sony has plenty of other studios making new IP's and sequels.

Not every single Sony studio will work on a Konami game, wtf.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
What? As a Metal Gear fan, I'd be super excited for a MGS remake. I'd like a new game in the future or something, but a remake would be wonderful for now.

I was more poking fun at the insatiable and batfuck crazy rabble of Metal Gear fans that have endless demands of Kojima and never seem to be happy. And the notion of them...being happy and content.

Man.. if Sony and BP are remaking MGS then they have a ton of new toys to play with; with Haptics, Adtrigs, motion, cards, help videos.. there's a bunch cool things they could do they couldn't 20 years ago. Also, If one guy can make the game on Dreams I'm sure BP would be fine.

I don't know about y'all it I would love Snake back in the mix.

Sure, it'd be a thing and people would love it. That I don't doubt.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Remastering a game isn't even remotely in the ballpark of completely remaking one. It familiarises with content and direction but in no way requires creative direction and liberties that potentially run at odds with the original authorship. I get what you're saying here but I think it's an enormous leap of logic and faith without addressing the underlining specifics of what actually encompasses remaking a game versus remastering it. Apples and oranges, even if the latter does benefit the former.

I think it does actually inform how they would approach a MGS remake. Their remakes so far have been almost absolutely 1:1 remakes on a gameplay level, and while yes remastering isn't as intensive as a remake, it shows that they understand the underlying concepts of MGS gameplay systems and how they are intertwined far more than any other (active) studio outside of Konami/KojiPro since they have actually dug into the code.

Bluepoint wouldn't do things like add FPV shooting or hanging to MGS1 like SK did because they have never done anything remotely near that level of change to the original formula of games they work on. A BP remake of MGS would likely have changes at exactly the scope of Demons and SotC: visual updates and some redesigns, along with maybe updated animations and music/VO depending on quality of the source. They didn't fuck with the tone of Demons or SotC (unless you believe fog+bloom=tone) and they certainly didn't dig into gameplay systems to add or modernize anything. And bonus for BP is that the orginal VO was re-recorded and the music was updated already

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020

some posts read more like people who are violently opposed to the concept running down the usual list of complaints lodged at mentions of most popular game remakes:

1. waste of money/time
2. loss of directorial intent/misinterpretation of source material
3. fans will hate it so why bother
4. remake team not skilled enough to do it justice

and the classic when it comes to japanese developed titles:
5. "westernization"
etc etc

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
What I am interested in how would they handle story (OG or Twin Snakes, maybe even more serious approach), who would voice Snake (Hayter sounds like parody of himself now unfortunately) and gameplay structure.
I actually wonder if Sony would mocap Oscar Isaac as Snake.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I think it does actually inform how they would approach a MGS remake. Their remakes so far have been almost absolutely 1:1 remakes on a gameplay level, and while yes remastering isn't as intensive as a remake, it shows that they understand the underlying concepts of MGS gameplay systems and how they are intertwined far more than any other studio outside of Konami/KojiPro since they have actually dug into the code.

Bluepoint wouldn't do things like add FPV shooting or hanging to MGS1 like SK did because they have never done anything remotely near that level of change to the original formula of games they work on. A BP remake of MGS would likely have changes at exactly the scope of Demons and SotC: visual updates and some redesigns, along with maybe updated animations and music/VO depending on quality of the source. They didn't fuck with the tone of Demons or SotC (unless you believe fog+bloom=tone) and they certainly didn't dig into gameplay systems to add or modernize anything. And bonus for BP is that the orginal VO was re-recorded and the music was updated already

Right, so in this instance it's a straight remake of the game as-is, which is a bit different to what I was talking about as I don't expect that to happen. At bare minimum I'd expect cutscenes to be reworked with modern tech and production standards no different to how Demon's Souls also had creative liberties in these areas. And it's precisely there that I'd expect the project to take on more of Bluepoint's creative identity, less of Kojima Productions.

Happily eat crow if Bluepoint is working on a MGS remake that, for bonus points, is a direct remake. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Would you call anytime that Sony remakes or publishes a previous non first party game babysitting?

Sony can do what they feel best. If Sony greenlights one or two Konami games/remakes, where's the harm? Fans would be happy. Sony has plenty of other studios making new IP's and sequels.

Not every single Sony studio will work on a Konami game, wtf.

And yet we're hearing rumors of Sony working on Silent Hill and MULTIPLE MGS games and even Castlevania. When is this supposed to stop? Why would Sony go to such lengths for Konami in particular? Does Konami have some kind of critical dirt on Hermen Hulst or Jim Ryan that's letting them basically puppeteer Sony to do all the work for them while Konami profits off of it?

(I'm kidding about that last part obviously, but it feels so weird that Sony is apparently putting all this time, money and manpower into Konami games when they're letting some of their own franchises die on the vine)

I think it does actually inform how they would approach a MGS remake. Their remakes so far have been almost absolutely 1:1 remakes on a gameplay level, and while yes remastering isn't as intensive as a remake, it shows that they understand the underlying concepts of MGS gameplay systems and how they are intertwined far more than any other (active) studio outside of Konami/KojiPro since they have actually dug into the code.

A near 1-to-1 remake of a PS1 game would be an absolute joke in 2022. MGS1's core gameplay is EXTREMELY dated. You can't crouch walk, you can't free aim, you can't do almost anything the franchise would later be known for because it was basically just a proof of concept. It was revolutionary THEN but that kind of stuff doesn't hold up at all. The AI is also so dumb it would be laughable to put out in a modern game, and the game's actual length is minuscule compared to even its sequels. And the cutscenes would look horrific if you just slap prettier models into them.

It's a very different story than porting a platformer with exactly two buttons: jump and spin. That gameplay hasn't been completely overwritten by its subsequent installments the way MGS rendered its progenitor's gameplay flow completely obsolete as soon as its second game rolled around.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
And yet we're hearing rumors of Sony working on Silent Hill and MULTIPLE MGS games and even Castlevania. When is this supposed to stop? Why would Sony go to such lengths for Konami in particular? Does Konami have some kind of critical dirt on Hermen Hulst or Jim Ryan that's letting them basically puppeteer Sony to do all the work for them while Konami profits off of it?

(I'm kidding about that last part obviously, but it feels so weird that Sony is apparently putting all this time, money and manpower into Konami games when they're letting some of their own franchises die on the vine)
I mean, it's a rumor. It could be entirely true or entirely fake, or partially real. We will just have to find out, but a remake of MGS, even if Konami got more royalties from it, would bring a lot of attention to the PS5.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I would be fine with a MGS Remake if it takes lots of creative liberties. Never understood the fascination on 1:1 Remakes with just better textures. The old Game exists and often looks actually better because those Remakes don't always have the same style.

I wish they had already done that in Demon's Souls with the 6th. Archstone.
But please for the love of god stop with the 1:1 Remakes and try to sell them as the "definitive" Version of said Game.

Idk if MGS is really the series to remake tho, it's pretty author driven. It's also from the lense of a japanese director how he views the conflicts and idelogies of the west. In that sense i believe it could be interesting to see how a western studio translates this, how they view the things Kojima did maybe in a different way etc.

People will hate on the Remake anyway, but i am far more interested in one that actually changes things because i am interested to see the interpretation of a series like MGS from a studio of creatives that grew up very differently essentially.

Oct 27, 2017

If sacrificing old, forgotten Sony franchises is what it takes to get Silent Hill and MGS back, I'd gladly let Gaming Satan take Ape Escape, Colony Wars, Twisted Metal, Parappa and whatever other old 90s franchises Sony owns and drag them screaming to Gaming Hell to roast for eternity.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017

Umm...they are just rumors. Nothing is in stone.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I've talked with Transistor the last few days and agreed on the following:
If this doesn't happen before February 28th, they'll ban my account and I'll leave this site forever. IF THIS HAPPENS, PLEASE READ: I beg some of you to carry my Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 hopes up. I need to know that the hype train will never die! We'll one day get a Playstation crossover <3

okay, after noticing this thread repeatedly over the last while, i finally took the time to read the entire original post. completely confused as to exactly what the point of this thread is. if the op is wrong, he's perma-banned. &, if he's right? what? totally lost as to what the upside of this is supposed to be. 'you heard it here first?'...

i'm getting old...

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
A near 1-to-1 remake of a PS1 game would be an absolute joke in 2022. MGS1's core gameplay is EXTREMELY dated. You can't crouch walk, you can't free aim, you can't do almost anything the franchise would later be known for because it was basically just a proof of concept. It was revolutionary THEN but that kind of stuff doesn't hold up at all. The AI is also so dumb it would be laughable to put out in a modern game, and the game's actual length is minuscule compared to even its sequels. And the cutscenes would look horrific if you just slap prettier models into them.

It's a very different story than porting a platformer with exactly two buttons: jump and spin. That gameplay hasn't been completely overwritten by its subsequent installments the way MGS rendered its progenitor's gameplay flow completely obsolete as soon as its second game rolled around.

How would it be a joke today? Since you stole my Crash rebuttal, how about Spyro or THPS, or CTR? Why does Volume or Counterspy exist? RE4 is still ported to every system imaginable, and got a huge fan patch on PC which wouldn't be much different than a BP remake. There is a demand for the specific gameplay experience that those old games provide and those needs aren't being met by the current market, hence opportunity.

Remasters exist because people still want those old games, sure a 1:1 remake of MGS1 wouldn't be as huge as MGSV or sell 20 million copies, but a smartly budgeted visual overhaul to get it on new consoles would sell PLENTY of copies to justify its development, as well as give fans what they've been asking for since Twin Snakes disappointed just about everyone.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
With regards to mgs all they would need to do is expand it a little like the shadow moses section in mgs4 and it would be perfect for me

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Right, so in this instance it's a straight remake of the game as-is, which is a bit different to what I was talking about as I don't expect that to happen. At bare minimum I'd expect cutscenes to be reworked with modern tech and production standards no different to how Demon's Souls also had creative liberties in these areas. And it's precisely there that I'd expect the project to take on more of Bluepoint's creative identity, less of Kojima Productions.

Happily eat crow if Bluepoint is working on a MGS remake that, for bonus points, is a direct remake. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

It is impossible to have a 1-1 remake with MGS1 as the original is 4 hours long. There is no way any developer can remake the game without adding substantial new content if it is being marketed as a tentpole AAA release. So if Bluepoint is remaking it, there is no way around getting compared with Kojima's game. It is inevitable and tbh that is okay. I would love to see a new take on MGS and as long as its a good stealth game I am fine with it.

I mean this problem exists with any IP and not just MGS. What makes The initiative capable of capturing the spirit of Perfect Dark anymore than Bluepoint with respect to MGS. It would essentially be a new studio tackling a familiar IP and thats okay! Let each of them bring their own flavour to it!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would people be against a MGS 1:1 recreation with just better grafics?
Would people hate the top down gameplay? I think it could be awesome
I personally would be satisfied with a 1:1 remake of the game with better graphics. Hell, I think the best way to proceed for this game, considering how much it's the product of Kojima's vision, would be to run all the game's assets through an AI upscaler. That would be the safest way to keep the game's nuances and intricacies intact. The game's UI is the one aspect of the game that could be recreated from scratch, while still aiming to keep the feel of it, without interfering with the nuances. So do that, add a couple of QoL updates here and there (such as being able to open locked doors without having to equip the damn security key card), charge 30$ for the game, and you've got yourself a great package.

I honestly think a MGS1 remake is a recipe for total disaster, irrespective of how talented BluePoint are, if just for the immense and incredibly fickle expectations that the title would be up against. Kojima's work, warts and all, is unmistakably distinct to his very particular style and vision. Every game he works on is distinctly his authoring, from overarching vision to subtle nuances in the script, characterisation, design, tone, and presentation. His direction and oversight ensures the extremely talented people working under him are not only selective in their approach, but able to author the vision as he saw it. His work is deceptively nuanced and personal.

I don't doubt BluePoint could try their hand at a good Metal Gear Solid remake, but fuck they would be pitting themselves against a lofty wall. Whatever they executed would be almost assuredly tonally off from Kojima's work, not necessarily faulted in its self contained quality, but inevitably inviting comparisons. It would also be a monumental undertaking remaking these games, relative to BluePoint's existing output, due to the monumental quantity of cutscenes and voice work. These areas are that which Kojima's touch is likely to be most observably lost.

I said it in another thread, but if Metal Gear were to continue I really think the only way would be to basically soft reboot the series under a new direction, one that tries to retain certain elements of the series identity and prose, while shaped into something new as seen fit by the new team. Trying to recapture Kojima Productions' unmistakable identity and direction just seems like a recipe for disaster. Not just because of Kojima, but the multitude of other talented people who collaborated on the series and are now gone.

So yeah. I'd like a remake of MGS1, but I think at this point it's a futile endeavour and BluePoint's talent and time would be better spent working on a safer remake within their scope and ownership or given the flexibility to work on their own IP.
The problem with a 1:1 remake of Metal Gear Solid (not that I'd personally be opposed to it!) is that the game itself doesn't lend itself well to such production scope due to immediate comparisons to modern equivalents. MGS1 was a bastion of "cinematic video games" that used movie-like direction and production to such originality that it'd go on to inspire many, many developers and largely influence that branch of game design.

BluePoint's current output has benefitted from being fairly minimalist in cinematic production tropes. Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls in particular are almost entirely mechanically driven experiences and are beloved precisely for these things, offering greater leeway in remastering/remaking as the core gameplay loop and presentation didn't need to change. Both games aim to capture imagination and mood just through being present in the game world, and both are relatively light on traditional cinematic narratives.

Metal Gear Solid is loaded with cutscenes, and because of this would invite stricter comparisons if they were just crudely remade with prettier graphics in a modern area. You...can't really do that. People will expect even simple one-on-one dialogue sequences to be appropriately remade with more nuanced physical performance and animation, and more modern cinematography techniques that current technology permits.

The crudeness and simplicity of Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls worked to their favour in updating them in a way that's digestible to old and new fans. Metal Gear Solid would not be as well received, I think. It's an all or nothing project.

Exactly. People are already picky and argumentative over Twin Snakes, and that had Kojima's involvement. It's just a minefield.

I also don't think people realise how production intensive cutscenes are, especially if they're built under modern standards. Making cutscenes in games soaks up a lot of time and resources. They're major hurdles from both a physical and technical standpoint, requiring a lot of energy and time. This is particularly true in modern games where production standards for real time cutscenes have ballooned to basically cinematic quality. Remaking Metal Gear Solid to match this standard would be a massive barrier in of itself, and as much as I adore BluePoint's work also explicitly in a field they're yet to excel in.

Demon's Souls is in a curious spot though because of it's history. The Souls brand is very, very popular and it's thanks to Demon's niche appeal ultimately evolving into Dark Souls that gave the series an identity and presence. Dark Souls was phenomenally successful and is the most conscious starting point for many fans of FROM's modern output, all of which since follow design DNA linking way back to Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls is definitively a cult classic, but unlike Dark onwards was primed to fade into obscurity by being locked to a single system and having a relatively hyper niche fandom. It's a retrospective celebration to have it remade as while a technical facelift makes BluePoint's build the most playable version, it also benefits from the 'Souls series success since the original's release. It's an inviting full circle; Demon's Souls as a cult classic many know by name only, and exclusive to Sony's hardware, returned with a visual overhaul and new fandom that recognises the title precisely because of FROM's successful output since.

Launching it during a console launch was also a super smart move and probably attracted even more attention than they might otherwise not have.
Right, I'd love all of this too, but this is kinda what I'm getting at; these expectations are so very, very, very specific and have such narrow wiggle room on incredibly important, nuanced facets of Kojima's direction that almost inevitably something in translation would be lost. Because maybe the cutscenes are shot in such a way that it doesn't quite fit the tone people wanted. Maybe the remade environments don't capture quite the same feel or vibe as the did in the original build. New character designs run risk of creative liberties people may not be happy with. And even in this best case scenario there's no way they wouldn't re record dialogue, which we know would lead to script alterations because that's just how production works, changes made to accommodate new cinematic direction of cutscenes, again inviting strict comparisons destined to upset.

The problem is inherently that hardcore fans, like you and I, want Metal Gear Solid 1 to be remade with the production quality of a modern Metal Gear Solid game, but absolutely, pitch perfect recapturing of exactly what Kojima Productions wrote, designed, directed, and produced 23 years ago. Creative liberties in more abstract and loose facets of the design, like level layouts and item placement, are naturally more forgivable because those are not the things most fans are instantaneously attached to. So they're not really on the negotiation table, because they're already inviting change. The big stuff stays the big stuff and that, by virtue of being so intimately woven into the game's identity, is the hardest stuff to accurate match yet most primed for reimagining, because it's this nuanced stuff that makes Metal Gear Solid what it is, and nuance tends to come from the original creative team as it's theirs.

Like I think the Demon's Souls remake is marvellous, but I also think BluePoint did not perfectly capture FROM's vision in every conceivable way. Artistic liberties to certain areas and enemy designs changed the nuanced tone and feel in a way that did take on a new identity, if obviously inspired. It's not a bad thing, because again I adore the game to pieces and I admire the work BluePoint put in, but there is a certain nuanced creative tone to FROM's specific vision of Dark Souls that isn't pitch perfectly replicated in every area and enemy. The soundtrack in particular has some unusual creative differences that lose the sombre, melancholic, dreamy tone of FROM's outing.

Now apply that to Metal Gear Solid, and see how happy people are that a certain cutscenes wasn't directed right (see: Twin Snakes), a character was narratively framed a bit different due to script changes, or an area was reimagined to be fundamentally the same location but tonally a little bit different, all alongside a soundtrack that's reimagined, boss fights that play differently, and so on and so forth.

I fucking adore the idea of playing a Metal Gear Solid game that's basically the entire experience reimagined with creative accuracy and liberties in the right measures, basically looking like Metal Gear Solid V did in production quality. But it's so very specific with such enormous wiggle room for slip-up and failure because of the expectations and nuance involved, and despite my positive impressions of the studio I really don't think BluePoint have the chops to nail what the fans want. And that goes for any studio. It'd be someone else's Metal Gear Solid and show.

And if a future exists where I'm proven totally wrong I sure as shit welcome it, because man I'd love to play this game.
These are really good posts, and I do agree with everything you've said.

Honestly, what it boils down to is that there is only two ways in which MGS1 can be remade:
  • Full re-imagining, à la Battlestar Galactica. You keep the essence of the story and game, but forge it anew for current standards and interests in a 2020 landscape. You don't need Kojima for this, but you do need a strong vision with talented designers realising it.
  • 1:1 remake/remaster. There are multiple ways this can be done, which have been discussed in this thread. The safest route would be the AI-upscaler one with manual touches here and there. I don't think Sony would be interested in this option, mind you; I'm well aware of that. I would personally be okay with this route because I'm a nerd who is still satisfied with the original game today.

Oct 27, 2017
You play with fire, you get burned. No extension. People believe him just because he said it's true when it could certainly just be a reasonable guess. He needs a ban if he's wrong. He made his bed.

I agree with Angie's stance on this.

If the OP gets banned from this, than it should be the standard going forward.
Anyone claiming inside knowledge and gets it wrong, should be banned.

I guess most 'insiders' get around it though by not applying such specific time frames to their rumours.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

Lol. Sony have shitloads of money and they spend it on a lot of stuff that they don't own, like timed exclusives, marketing deals, etc. But remaking a beloved series they don't own and making a ton more money off them?! Worthless, where's my JRPGs?! Come the fuck on. Based on your logic, Spider-Man is worthless too.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
okay, after noticing this thread repeatedly over the last while, i finally took the time to read the entire original post. completely confused as to exactly what the point of this thread is. if the op is wrong, he's perma-banned. &, if he's right? what? totally lost as to what the upside of this is supposed to be. 'you heard it here first?'...

i'm getting old...
He earns a track record. He's basically betting his account on it. Insiders were pretty much always at this "risk" in the past, but Era only seem to do it if they make a thread (it happened with DMC5 too).

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
He earns a track record. He's basically betting his account on it. Insiders were pretty much always at this "risk" in the past, but Era only seem to do it if they make a thread (it happened with DMC5 too).

how is being correct one time a 'track record'? &, again, other than 'you heard it here first', what exactly is the whole point of being an 'insider', anyway? unless you're positioned in such a way as to be confidently positive in whatever information it is that you're sharing (which the op, self-admittedly, is not - 'it seems like demon's souls was kind of the "final test"'? i mean, really?), i'm just not seeing anything about being an 'insider' under these circumstances worth risking an account for...

Status
Not open for further replies.