• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

would you rather sony be at E3 or holding their own PSX?

• E3

Votes: 1,060 45.4%
  • PSX

Votes: 1,274 54.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Oh no, :( they're the hype at part of E3.... :/
As long as their own events are as hype as E3, I think I'd be okay with this. But still :/

there is no need for "hype shows" anymore, these days you can generate even more buzz by shadowdropping a random trailer on youtube.

and if i am honest no one needs hype shows where they show trash like the Anthem trailer which in no way represents the final game.

Oct 27, 2017
Please describe how this is arrogant, unless you are just trolling.

It's entirely possible they want to have their own individual events where it's likely less pressure and they don't have to share the spotlight with their competition (depending on when their shows are). For years they had the benefit of closing out the 'pre-show' cycle, but that also meant they had to follow everyone up. It was a double-edged sword.

Some of you are acting like Sony is completely turning turtle with an iron curtain of NO NEWS/JUST BUY OUR SHIT. That's not the case. State of Play, regardless of your personal opinion on them, is still an avenue where they share info/reveals with fans and press. Larger shows would have a similar purpose and more significant impact. How is that arrogant?
Just joking. The most important thing is showing us great stuff when they are ready. How they want to do it is less important.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Imagine if they drop E3 or conferences in general and just do a state of play for the reveal

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
So with Sony potentially not showing up and MS continuing to do their own thing on the side, Nintendo will once again be the only platform holder with an actual presence on the E3 show floor... wonder if they will start changing their plans soon as well?

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
I have no problem with Sony skipping E3 I just guess they will have an PS5 event in February and another event closer to release.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sucks if it's true, they've pulled back from basically every public event. Sony does it's own closed to the public open for business to business event in February (Destination Playstation) where they will publicly announce a limited amount of information on newly launching console public and that's cool for what it is. E3 is really the only week of the year where all the fans and games media evaluate everything that is coming in the future on all platforms at one time publicly and it creates a unique energy from which the state of the community address is formed specifically for gamers.

To me it sounds like it's a situation where Jim Ryan is por showman and just wants to do an event with a smaller crowd to feel more comfortable and that's total shite. They need to push Jim Ryan into strategy or something try to bring Shawn Layden back as CEO so we can get our public events back and the image of the guy that looks like he just stepped off of a $2M yacht to the Playstation stage to just greet the "Playstation Nation" and drop some insane game trailers. Whether you're Playstation fan on not that's just great showmanship to represent gaming in general.
lmao ;D

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that not being at E3 if it becomes HashTag Central because you'll miss out on influencers - those folks will go wherever the check tells them to go. Why not have said event on your own terms then? You're not making news, you're making announcements.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
About Sony, there's been no announcement. We don't know if they'll go radio silent during e3, even if they skip. I dont think they would--probably their version of a direct at least, but who knows.
I'm not talking about this year. I'm talking about last year. Sony had no conference and they had zero presence on the show floor (outside of third parties using a PS4). Sony as a company had no official presence at E3 at all.

If they do that again this year, they will have no presence at all in North America's biggest video game trade show the same year a new console is launching.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Damn e3 really is going away isn't it? This is such a bummer man. It's like a holiday I looked forward to every year growing up and now it's just... whatever it is now.

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, Sony just need to put PS5´s in the stores shelfs. Dont´show ANYTHING and the consoles will sell by itself.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly thought it was shown off in a Direct, but I'm sure Sony can just do a SoP.
They showed the system for the first time and announced it in a random trailer dropped online. A couple months later they had a live conference and media hands on events around the world within the same 24 hour period.

Jun 23, 2019
Them having an event for PS5 is exciting. Putting out something like a State of Play near E3 where MS will pretty much have a huge show along with Nintendo (which is the format they are copying) won't be the best idea imo. Their SoP's are executed so poorly, I really hope they re-work the format on those.

Executed poorly? What?

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They weren't there last time, and they announced they'd just be showing deep dives of games in 2018.

But it became a running joke that things sort of just leak before E3 anyway, if they do their own show they can mitigate this.
All the big state of play announcements have leaked early too.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Sony should just take EA's Saturday noon Pacific time zone slot so that all of the world can watch live. Host it somewhere else in Los Angeles if they want - separate from E3, then have a token booth at E3 itself.

Best of all situations: Sony gets full control of its venue, all of the world can watch live, journalists can still attend both the LA Sony event & E3 because they are reasonably close together, and that week of video games is saved.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
man...........E3 has become such a bummer every year. Come on, you can't even do a conference on the weekend at least........somewhere!!!! I like the gaming media rush into my head all at once. It's the most hype thing every year,

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Better that companies do their own thing. Makes it easier to avoid certain companies without having all news lumped together.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I like this. It means more events throughout the year. Quite frankly the only part of E3 I enjoy are the 3 major presentations from Sony, MS, and Nintendo.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
E3 became pointless when it was closed to the public over a decade ago. There's practically no reason for a publisher to spend $10 million dollars on a booth that only journalists can play at, especially in fucking July. There's also little incentive to rush your devs/artists into making a CGI trailer/vertical slice (that also costs millions) that's going to be squeezed in after the latest Call of Duty trailer and quickly forgotten. Not to mention the vitriol and confusion that comes with "announcement trailer" exclusivity. Everyone moving towards showing games when they're ready is better for managing expectations.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why? They think they're too cool for E3 or some shit?

Why are people celebrating this?

Because PlayStation is bigger than E3, that's why. They can afford their own event on their own time and continue using social media (the smart way) to leverage all the spotlight on their terms. E3 is other people's tradition that had a good enough run, But Sony has been ready to evolve into their own tradition. Whatever happens next, They know all eyes will be on them.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not talking about this year. I'm talking about last year. Sony had no conference and they had zero presence on the show floor (outside of third parties using a PS4). Sony as a company had no official presence at E3 at all.

If they do that again this year, they will have no presence at all in North America's biggest video game trade show the same year a new console is launching.
Yeah, that seems unlikely to me. They did nothing last year because they had nothing to show. What did they release, Days Gone? they have a few ps4 tent pole exclusives that they have already hyped to dangerous levels, and everything else is being dumped into ps5. Last year wasn't a long term comms strategy, it was a reaction to their position re: ps5. This year, I predict an apple style live event and some minor buzz stuff around e3 time.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
If it wasn't a new console year I'd say this wasn't that big of a deal. Seems weird to be going up against the momentum that Xbox has had, Sony's lack of previous showings and in to a new console launch and relying solely on their own show.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
there is no need for "hype shows" anymore, these days you can generate even more buzz by shadowdropping a random trailer on youtube.

and if i am honest no one needs hype shows where they show trash like the Anthem trailer which in no way represents the final game.
eh idk if I agree with that, for large titles maybe but for new ips or smaller titles having an event around them allows them to gain more traction, plus it brings excitement to the company as well. Selling games is a little different than selling movies and tv shows

Status
Not open for further replies.