• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

would you rather sony be at E3 or holding their own PSX?

• E3

Votes: 1,060 45.4%
  • PSX

Votes: 1,274 54.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Let's hope the announcement comes with a PS Meeting date!

Cross-posting from the other thread:
Having just a Summer PSX and a Winter PSX, maybe one in the US and one in EU (they danced around the idea of doing one there iirc), packed of stuff would be amazing.

Add in a few SoPs around other events (GC/PGW/TGS) and they're set.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Why would you skip E3 during a console launch year?

Sure you can do your own event, but why not be at the biggest spectacle event of all?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking that if they're saying they're out of E3 they will also say when they'll have their own event?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Lol don't care but they have to do something else instead, their own event in June (after a PS Meeting in Feb I mean)

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This really makes no difference for me. They will just have their own event or another state of play to announce stuff. Doesn't really matter whether it's at E3 or not.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a Sony or MS event is boring to me though, I think it's more memorable and electrifying when we're jumping from conference to conference a day or hours apart. The discussions and reflection on all new content is highly enjoyable.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer it when video game announcements are spaced out throughout June. E3 is too much and too many good games get buried by big announcements.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For an industry composed of such talented and smart people, splurging on E3 was always the stupidest moneysink of an idea one can conceive. It just makes so much more sense to do your own events on your own terms.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
E3 has been flailing since the year after the PS3 and Wii launched. It hasn't stabilized or found its footing again. I'm sure something else will replace it in time, but yes, I believe E3s days are numbered, and in Sony's position I would do the same thing.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Stupid...especially in the year of a new console release. But they will obviously be fine due to their sizable, loyal fanbase. Information spreads so quickly nowadays, people will still learn everything they need to know about PS5.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Just a Sony or MS event is boring to me though, I think it's more memorable and electrifying when we're jumping from conference to conference a day or hours a part.

Yeah I miss those times. I guess this makes sense for Sony, but can't help but wish for the old days.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The E3 ballroom couldn't contain the excitement a Knack 3 announcement would generate anyway.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Don't care as long as they have their own big event, the platform is irrelevant to me

Tho, it is kinda sad to see E3 die out like this but the big publishers don't really need E3 to sell their games.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I already said, that's awesome! Make the "PlayStation Experience" your big thing every year. All about PlayStation.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
After the ESA fuckery is only logical. No journos want to go through that shit again.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Fine with me. If E3 can't find a reason to exist outside of giant press conferences to give them attention, it doesn't need to exist.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"We are skipping E3 this year"
Everyone boos

"But we are hosting our own event next month on this date for the official reveal of the PS5"
Complete meltdown, tears of joy, a new wave of memes are born in anticipation

Im hoping this is how it goes.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Yesssss, kill E3 so we don't have to wait until halfway in the year to see new game announcements all the time

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm starting to think this becomes a trend, but if E3 does die out, I feel like that hurts Nintendo the most. Sony and MS have the press connections and the clout to run big worldwide press events. Nintendo will run their directs and fly out press/influencers for smaller events, but that's about it. And even then, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but news from Nintendo delivered once per quarter feels bare bones, especially when you consider the special place in the industry they have, and where Sony and MS can continue to put out a steady stream of information.

That said, we could always see Nintendo drag Spaceworld out of mothballs. They do a lot of Nintendo fan events in Japan and the UK still, but for whatever reason they haven't done it in America. Probably because our country dwarfs the other two.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
It makes sense. The industry doesn't really need E3 to get the word out about their content. I'd be surprised if we don't get some sort of info dump right before E3 like the State of Play last year, or MS' XBO event back in 2014.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure they don't need E3, but is putting on their own event really going to save them money? Why not be a part of the biggest gaming spectacle there is?

It's not about saving money. They can just as easily have their own show, control their own message and do it on their time. The point of E3 is pretty much gone thanks to the internet and social media.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
E3 needs Sony much more than Sony needs E3

Future is their own events like Nintendo do, Apple, Samsung all big tech companies.
nothing stops them form doing there own event. heck i think there is a rumor that they will doing one around feb 14. like i said they dont have to do a conference they are not forced to. But a lot of people go to e3 now that its public that its stupid to not be on the floor especially during a console year

Status
Not open for further replies.