• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

would you rather sony be at E3 or holding their own PSX?

• E3

Votes: 1,060 45.4%
  • PSX

Votes: 1,274 54.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
RIP E3. Gonna miss the good days of all of the big pubs there duking it out. shame. Hope for the best to come.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I've found E3 really mediocre this generation. You could see Sony's motivation for it decline each year, culminating in that awful presentation in the tent that was like 20 minutes late and only showed off 4 games.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
This is only acceptable if they have there own event in a 1 month period around E3. If they don't there making a stupid mistake.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Because E3 costs them millions just to get a place on the floor. On top of that they need a theater for their show, and they need to cut trailers specifically for E3. Why do that when they also have their own show at least once a year? It's more than double the cost for something that can be done through a State of Play type thing or in a smaller, less expensive setting like their own event. It'll save them millions upon millions not to attend E3.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of anything more damning of the state of E3 than the current market leader skipping the event the year of a new console launch.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Can't believe Sony are going third party

:P

Na this makes sense, E3 is no longer the place to communicate your plans to the audience. Nintendo showed it with Directs and Sony have jumped on board that with their State of Play. It's no longer necessary.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Last year's E3 proved that E3 needs Sony. Sony doesn't need E3. Also, they've already announced the PS5. If you go back and watch the PS4 unveiling, many of the same details have been announced through Wired articles. I expect Sony to have an event around the same time as E3. There will be all of the spectacle and Sony can bite some of it off. Do you expect them to have an event next month? I honestly don't. I wish there was!
I'm not sure about Feburary, but I would be shocked if they didn't have an event by the end of March.

The game developers conference is in March, and they'll be out there talking publicly about the PS5, so they'll definitely want the public fully in the loop about it by then because the things they say there will be leaked anyway.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, e3 was always one of my favorite times of the summer. Three days of nothing but gaming news and love, for me, Sony was always the highlight. It'll be a downward trend from her on unfortunately... Hopefully the replacement conference will be hype tho

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
But that wasn't the reason they skipped last years though. Them skipping has nothing to do with leaks. Sony have had a history of leaks, so I doubt they'd get on their high horse and blame that incident.

AFAIK the ESA and E3 have had problems of various sorts for some time. This doxxing seems like just the latest (big) issue there. Last year was a combination of Sony's own situation wrt new game announcements (i.e. little-to-none to make ahead of PS5), and E3's already existing issues.

That said, I doubt Sony's approach this year really has anything to do with the doxxing... just an unfortunate coincidence for E3 if both these things really do pan out today.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, it doesn't really matter. They'll probably do an event around the same time like Nintendo does.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Short sighted if true.
ESA is a way to have influence on politics.
To not support their biggest event isn't make this type of influence easier.
Same is valid for any other company doing the same.
My opinion.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Damn. All these companies being all "We're too cool for E3" is really making it become a non-event, which is too bad - I used to really look forward to that week.
They did it to themselves really. They tried to shut Devolver down in a really scummy way, and failed, and then Devolver proved you didn't need to be official at all to still generate buzz during E3.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather all three just have Nintendo direct type presentations throughout the year. Having a live performance seems useless with streaming and such today.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly killing E3 is likely to make me miss a shit ton of games. As all these events get spread out amongst their own dedicated shows instead, we end up with a bloated unwatchable mess with barely anything to announce and are expected to find multiple hours just to watch a CEO talk shit for 2 hours to catch 10 minutes of announcements.

E3 meant the pressure was on to avoid doing that. Instead were getting extended PR fluff pieces as replacements.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the last E3 conference I watched was like 2013 or something so yeah, can't say I'm arsed. I tend to just watch highlights of the games a day after.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Good E3 has been boring for a couple years now. PlayStation should do its own show/conference.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I can't think of anything more damning of the state of E3 than the current market leader skipping the event the year of a new console launch.
Same. Regardless of Sony's potential reasoning, it's a massive blow to E3. That said, if MIcrosoft and Nintendo show up in a big way, I could see the ESA bending over backwards to dedicate more bandwidth and accommodations to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.