• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

would you rather sony be at E3 or holding their own PSX?

• E3

Votes: 1,060 45.4%
  • PSX

Votes: 1,274 54.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure about Feburary, but I would be shocked if they didn't have an event by the end of March.

The game developers conference is in March, and they'll be out there talking publicly about the PS5, so they'll definitely want the public fully in the loop about it by then because the things they say there will be leaked anyway.
Yeah that makes sense. I hope they do that, where they show off the controller, the message they have and a few games that highlight it's power. Then around June they do a full blow out with the box unveil, specs, more games and a few more added details. Then they would have demos for the press.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Lately E3 has only been worth watching for Capcom, FROM and Sony stuff. I'm fine with Sony sticking to their own events and even the TGS.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised, I can see all the major platforms beginning to move away from E3 now. It's becoming increasingly difficult to get a good audience for your game in the flood of reveals, not to mention the ESA's leaking of journalists' personal information combined with their near-apathetic response to it.

Posted this in the other thread when the rumor broke:

Now to figure out who that other major publisher is going to be. :'(
Almost certainly be EA if true, though them pulling out of E3 is way overdue. They don't have nearly as many games in development as they used to and so should prefer to do individual game events rather than anaemic conferences

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I'm sorry, when is PlayStation Celebration? I thought that it occurred last year. If it has something to do with their theatre in NYC it's probably nothing.

Yea, at Sony Square:

But it runs from Jan 14- Feb 16.

Someone who works at the event was in the thread talking about it out of nowhere. SO I think it's lead up to their PS5 reveal event. Hence Yoshida and Herman are both in San Fran right now.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depressing. E3 is such an enjoyable and exciting event because it's where everyone unloads all their big new announcements.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think we will see 2 events from Sony and Microsoft. One in February or March for Sony, one in August. Microsoft will be at E3 because they own the Microsoft theater and will have an event of their own in March or April.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
This is how you also get your teeth kicked in.

QuestionableBestEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Microsoft feels about this.

On one hand, they dominate the show (or whatever is left of it). On the other, they're kind of stuck there.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
But 2016 was incredible, the best conference ever.

It was pretty great, but I don't think they needed to be at E3 to do it. And logistically it would probably be more beneficial to have their own event, like Apple or Samsung, and have all of the journalists and influencers fly in exclusively for them.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
This is their first new console launch in 7 years (I don't count the Pro refresh) so I'm fine with Sony having their own event.

Announce it early then let 3rd parties carry PS5 momentum with new reveals and trailers like last year's E3.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Nothing but good news. Sony doesn't need E3 anymore. E3 needs Sony though. That's why last years was so irrelevant. PlayStation will have its own shows and conference + State of Play.

As for E3, this is probably the beginning of the end for the event. I mean, the PS5 logo gave more traction and buzz than most things out there. And it's a logo.

Last edited:

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, e3 was always one of my favorite times of the summer. Three days of nothing but gaming news and love, for me, Sony was always the highlight. It'll be a downward trend from her on unfortunately... Hopefully the replacement conference will be hype tho

Agreed, loved taking days off work, stocking up on junk food and enjoying the spectacle of it all with friends.

Nov 23, 2017
This is terrible for E3 itself but Sony has never been a fan of the public showing up. Shawn Layden talked about E3's inconsistent feel with both the public and press there during PSX 2017 during a Q&A. Since then, E3 has not stepped up and made the convention more environmentally friendly for either public or press folks.

2019 E3 was a cluster and a half. Because Sony wasn't there, there was so much filler content and all the hyped games had even longer lines. E3 needs to fix this ASAP or they're going to die out.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The less reliance on one big show in the middle of the year the better, but if it's just going to be them doing a PSX Summer instead of E3 every year then meh, same problem of everything getting saved for it, instead of announced when best for it.
The ESA don't deserve to be supported after the press leak, so them losing relevance is at least good if true.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I half expected it that's still very surprising.

E3 to be the Microsoft show then. (I know Nintendo goes there but without a live conference it's not really the same)

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I said this earlier in the month. They most likely are skipping again. They don't need E3. Hell, all they did was attend CES and show a logo and it buzzed more hype for it than E3 ever did.
Sticking to stay of plays and having their own event will work more for then.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
All we online gamers need is a feed to the presentation, and quick impressions for journalists. We will get that no matter where does Sony host it.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So Michael pachter was correct? So ps5 spec wise looks like 1000$ machine ? Haha that's the silver lining I guess👀🧐🤔

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. I look forward to E3 every year. I dislike when companies do their own. I just skip their presentations and get the bullet points online. Probably going to be the normal thing for me going forward

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I'd rather all three just have Nintendo direct type presentations throughout the year. Having a live performance seems useless with streaming and such today.
Please no. State of Play sucks. Nintendo Directs eventually figured it out. But give me a live show any day of the week

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
If the next gen is really to be launching by the end of this year, wwehn, are we expecting to get a proper official reveal inclusing design and specs ?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
the fuck kind of post is this?
This was meant to imply that going head to head with a competitor, Sony or Microsoft, has the POTENTIAL TO create a losing narrative if one machine has lesser quality games, tech, or otherwise.

There is zero sense in not trying to do your own show where you dictate the rules.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
Fuck the ESA but I'm still a little disappointed a big industry-wide event like E3 is dying. Their plans for future events were laughable so I don't see the expo lasting much longer in it's current form.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
E3 has fallen off. Treehouse is the main event for me and Nintendo went against the grain to even do that. They need to restructure E3 again and make it the best of both worlds for journalist and gen pop..... And monitor the security of every individual SMH!

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
This is quite the bummer. E3 is always one of my favorite times of the year. Just a total onslaught of new games, news, etc. for days. Sony's last E3 was quite bad IMO, primarily due to the weird pacing for the home viewer, but they clearly have a ton to talk about this year, and all the gaming press will be there anyways. Still tuning in of course to E3 this year, but it's not the same with zero Sony presence.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
E3 isn't just conferences, it's the show floor as well. Letting thousands of people get hands on time with your new console over the course of a couple days seems like something really big to give up. Then again, the E3 floor always seems like a bit of a shit show.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If they do this, can their own show not be 2pm on a weekday or something? I like E3 because I can book off a set number of days from work and absorb everything. These individual events are impossible to plan around and feel sporadic.
Sigh, I miss E3 already.

Status
Not open for further replies.