• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

would you rather sony be at E3 or holding their own PSX?

• E3

Votes: 1,060 45.4%
  • PSX

Votes: 1,274 54.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
E3 really isn't what it used to be. Attendance is lowering and after the shit last year there really isn't a need to attend. It's really just a glorified influencer party with trailers. Sure E3 time is exciting, but we all knew this day was coming.

I wouldn't be shocked if they are still on the show floor

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I wonder if Squeeenix is gonna take their timeslot again?

If we get a full demo of Babylon's Fall + a bunch on next gen announcements, it'll be worth it.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've been to some awesome E3s so in some nostalgic sense I'm sad to see it die. But I'm also really happy to see it go. Too much money is spent on it. Too much time is spent on it. And sometimes there's a crazy amount of stress and potential last minute changes just to see if your game is going to get 30 seconds shown on stream.

I think the Nintendo Direct approach is the correct way of doing things.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
E3 isn't just conferences, it's the show floor as well. Letting thousands of people get hands on time with your new console over the course of a couple days seems like something really big to give up. Then again, the E3 floor always seems like a bit of a shit show.
I don't think E3 show floor buzz has ever come close to repeating what happened with the Wii again. Given all the flailing since that year, it'd take a lot to rebuild that, and while letting in the public seemed like a step to making that happen, it's seemed to backfire.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Announcing anything of significance at e3 just no longer makes sense.

Having your own event at a time when no one else is announcing anything is a much better strategy.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sod the show floor, just do a conference around that time. I like having everything big over a couple of days rather than spread out.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
E3 isn't just conferences, it's the show floor as well. Letting thousands of people get hands on time with your new console over the course of a couple days seems like something really big to give up. Then again, the E3 floor always seems like a bit of a shit show.

You can still have that.
Hell, Sony could have it's own event and change locations every year, allowing for even more people to get their hands on the games.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
PAX is far better for that, which PlayStation attends.

Oct 25, 2017
Please no. State of Play sucks. Nintendo Directs eventually figured it out. But give me a live show any day of the week

Announcements are announcements. State of Play. Sony's own events etc. Sony can generate the same amount of hype with their own event focused on their products without having to share the spotlight.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
E3 needs Sony much more than Sony needs E3

Future is their own events like Nintendo do, Apple, Samsung all big tech companies.
It really is, you will still have a presence at an industry shows, but for your big shit renting a venue and streaming it got to be cheaper and a bigger return than E3. Hell MS just had an Surface event and owned the whole news cycle for a good time afterwards.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
I'm indifferent toward (leaning toward prefer) Sony having its own event. But the death of E3 will be slow. If the platform holders and big publishers piece-meal pull out of E3, I think the social dynamic and water cooler aspects of E3 will be worsened in the meantime.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Disagree. What about e3 2015 and 2016? Those were more hype than any direct or sop could be.
No kidding. A lot of users here seem to be extremely biased. It really sounds like they havent watched an E3 conference in like 5 years. Yeah, they used to be cringe. We are well past those days for the most part.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Was honestly hoping to go to E3 one of these days, though it is starting to look like a shell of its former self...

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped going to E3 a couple years ago because it became such a pain in the ass to attend, and most of the good demos had moved to behind closed doors / appt only. Sony skipping E3 proper doesn't really bug me at all since the info will still get out there, it will just be streamed from a time and place of Sony's choice.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Announcements are announcements. State of Play. Sony's own events etc. Sony can generate the same amount of hype with their own event focused on their products without having to share the spotlight.
Disagree. If I felt like you did, I would read the bullet points after the event.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Microsoft feels about this.

On one hand, they dominate the show (or whatever is left of it). On the other, they're kind of stuck there.
You think MS won't jump cheap if the stars lineup? They already do events for windows, surface, and other things. Xbox finally doing a standalone would get them on their brothers and sisters level

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I don't game on consoles, so I have no horse in this race.

Realistically, though, I feel that if Sony hold their own event the same week or so (but not the same time as the actual conferences), that'd be a net gain for people, because it means more devs get the spotlight for their games.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS5 to cost 1000 dollars confirmed. Time to get that 4th job!

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

It doesn't bother me that much....lol

Nov 21, 2019
Does this mean no show floor and conference at all on those dates? I could care less about their presence in the actual E3 but I hope they have a press conference with their usual E3 format in some shape or form.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
You think MS won't jump cheap if the stars lineup? They already do events for windows, surface, and other things. Xbox finally doing a standalone would get them on their brothers and sisters level

I believe Phil Spencer is on the ESA board? At least that's what I read. Not sure if that's current or just out of the ass hearsay.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I like what fromat EA (I guess, not sure about that) is doing :
  • Conference streamed for everyone.
  • Conference end and people who attended can go testing some games on the same place
GOOD

PLEASE DON'T AIR AT 2AM, NEVER AGAIN.
Yep (3AMin France, I can't do it anymore, I am too old. Or do it a saturday).
"they doxed thousands of attending journalists"

I mean when you put it that way.
Yeah, ESA can die. And what leaked from what they wanted E3 becoming, they can keep it.
stupid choice to skip it. they dont have to a pre-e3 conference but i think they should be on the floor
Death Stranding wasn't at E3, but everyone talk about it because we had the release date trailer one week prior to it.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
User warned: Trolling; Arguing in bad faith
lol esa/e3 has a data breach 1000's of journalists effected it's a catastrophe sony shouldn't support such organizations.

Sony has a data breach effecting millions of people, it's all alright guys these things happen just change your password.

Status
Not open for further replies.